MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tron1001
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/21/07
Send PM

Request for Right Hand Thumbstick Joy-Mapping Support on Dual Shock Type PC Game Pads
#306755 - 04/03/13 01:25 AM

I just recently started experimenting with joystick mapping because I was tired of having trouble shooting due north, due south, due east, and due west in run and gun games like Robotron and Smash TV when using my dual shock gamepad. I always tend to slip into the diagonals. Applying a joystick map that de-emphasizes the diagonal directions (Headkaze's Tron preset for example) will help. However, because the right hand joystick on the gamepad is recognized by windows as (Z,Zrot) and MAME is looking for X and Y axes to apply a joystick map, I can't de-emphasize the diagonal directions like I wanted to in the first place. MAME just doesn't recognize that it should apply the map to the right hand thumbstick on my gamepad because it doesn't see that thumbstick as a joystick. If I plug in two gamepads, it successfully applies the map to the left hand thumbsticks of both gamepads.

Would the MAME team please consider adding a dual shock joystick map option? Or if it's possible, is there a way to force MAME to recognize that right hand thumbstick as a joystick? Thank you in advance.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Request for Right Hand Thumbstick Joy-Mapping Support on Dual Shock Type PC Game Pads new [Re: Tron1001]
#306777 - 04/03/13 05:42 AM

> I just recently started experimenting with joystick mapping because I was tired of
> having trouble shooting due north, due south, due east, and due west in run and gun
> games like Robotron and Smash TV when using my dual shock gamepad. I always tend to
> slip into the diagonals. Applying a joystick map that de-emphasizes the diagonal
> directions (Headkaze's Tron preset for example) will help. However, because the right
> hand joystick on the gamepad is recognized by windows as (Z,Zrot) and MAME is looking
> for X and Y axes to apply a joystick map, I can't de-emphasize the diagonal
> directions like I wanted to in the first place. MAME just doesn't recognize that it
> should apply the map to the right hand thumbstick on my gamepad because it doesn't
> see that thumbstick as a joystick.

With that joystick ctrlr file loaded, look inside input this game and manually replicate whatever it does for the left stick to the mapping of the right stick.
You only need to do it once, then save it as dualstickgames.ini so you can load it as ctrlr file for dual stick games.

S

Tron1001
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Request for Right Hand Thumbstick Joy-Mapping Support on Dual Shock Type PC Game Pads new [Re: Sune]
#306784 - 04/03/13 03:08 PM

Thank you for replying so fast.

I am sorry but I don't understand your instructions. Perhaps we are talking about two different things? I used HeadKaze's mapping app to create an ini file called "robotron.ini" located in the "ini" directory. It only contains one line, which is reproduced below.

joystick_map 788888889.4s88888s6.44s888s66.444555666.444555666.444555666.44s222s66.4s22222s6.122222223.

That ini file is supposed to reduce the corner sensitivity of any joysticks that are connected while playing robotron. MAME does not apply those sensitivity settings to the right thumbstick of JOY1(my gamepad), because I believe that it only sees the left thumbstick of JOY1 as a joystick, and it sees the right thumbstick of JOY1 as something else[(Z,Zrot) not (x,y)]. I am unclear as to how your instructions will change that. Would you be willing to give a bit more detail or an example? Thanks again.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Request for Right Hand Thumbstick Joy-Mapping Support on Dual Shock Type PC Game Pads new [Re: Tron1001]
#306801 - 04/03/13 09:13 PM

> Thank you for replying so fast.

No...nobody does that, except when they get paid to do it. It's not like I'm sitting around waiting for someone to post so I can reply quickly. I just happened to pass by and see your post.

> I am sorry but I don't understand your instructions. Perhaps we are talking about two
> different things? I used HeadKaze's mapping app to create an ini file called
> "robotron.ini" located in the "ini" directory. It only contains one line, which is
> reproduced below.
>
> joystick_map
> 788888889.4s88888s6.44s888s66.444555666.444555666.444555666.44s222s66.4s22222s6.122222223.
>
> That ini file is supposed to reduce the corner sensitivity of any joysticks that are
> connected while playing robotron. MAME does not apply those sensitivity settings to
> the right thumbstick of JOY1(my gamepad), because I believe that it only sees the
> left thumbstick of JOY1 as a joystick, and it sees the right thumbstick of JOY1 as
> something else[(Z,Zrot) not (x,y)]. I am unclear as to how your instructions will
> change that. Would you be willing to give a bit more detail or an example? Thanks
> again.

From what I understand, it works with the left stick, correct?

Run Robotron, press TAB, look inside "controls, this game" and see what the settings are for the left stick when that .ini file is loaded. If needed, compare the settings when it's not loaded so you can see exactly what changes.
Then make the settings for the right stick (your z-axis) the same, manually. Once you exit the game these changes should now be reflected in robotron.cfg, from where you can copy them to your robotron.ini.

All available physical axis can be adjusted and mapped to a game's joystick(s). It shouldn't matter if it's Z or Y or X.

That said...I have never seen an ini file with numbers like you posted so I have to admit that I'm guessing. But it seems to me it should work..who knows.

S

Tron1001
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Request for Right Hand Thumbstick Joy-Mapping Support on Dual Shock Type PC Game Pads new [Re: Sune]
#306855 - 04/04/13 04:59 PM

>mapped to a game's joystick(s).

Aha. I think therein lies the misunderstanding. I am not trying to map inputs. No arrogance intended at all, but I do know how to map inputs to connected devices in MAME. Rather, I am trying to map sensitivities to an already successfully mapped input. The sensitivities I am trying to apply will make an analog 2-axis thumbstick behave a lot more like a digital 8-way joystick. Meaning, that MAME will not register a diagonal input unless I push the thumstick all the way into a corner. Can anyone else who is familiar with joystick mapping and MAME assist with this please?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#306868 - 04/04/13 09:16 PM

> > mapped to a game's joystick(s).
>
> Aha. I think therein lies the misunderstanding. I am not trying to map inputs. No
> arrogance intended at all, but I do know how to map inputs to connected devices in
> MAME. Rather, I am trying to map sensitivities to an already successfully mapped
> input.

Yes I know that's what you're trying to do. The problem is that the TAB menu only exposes sensitivity settings for your analog axis if the game you're running uses analog controls. Robotron is all digital and so there is no way to adjust sensitivity.

Therefore it's a total mystery to me how that .ini file you're using does anything at all.

S

Tron1001
MAME Fan
Send PM

#306879 - 04/05/13 12:51 AM

I am glad you understand, and I would be happy to explain what I think I know to be true.

I think we agree that MAME is versatile enough to accommodate analog and digital devices to be mapped to any kind of game input, with varying degrees of successful control based on how well the two match up. However, in order for a 2-axis analog device to be mapped to a digital input for a game, I surmise that its field must be discretized. From using HeadKaze's joystick mapping utility, I gather that the field of a 2-axis device is split up into a 9x9 grid, or 81 distinct combinations of voltage values for the field defined by the two axes. Without a customized mapping, the first 3x3 group (NW) would be devoted to NW movement, the next 3x3 group to due north, and so on, with the middle center group defined as a deadzone. The logic of course being that if the voltage values of the input device fall within the bounds of one of those 9 blocks in one of the 3x3 groups, only the command associated with that group will be delivered to the game. With a customized mapping, however, some or all of those 9 blocks in a 3x3 group can be assigned to a different direction. So in the case that I present, only the very first block of the first 3x3 group (top leftmost) would be assigned to NW, 3 blocks to N, 3 blocks to W, and the remaining two blocks down the diagonal of that group to "sticky". [1+3+3+2=9] The values that you see in the ini line I posted is a row-wise serialized encoding of the matrixed sensitivity map for that 9x9 grid. Each of the different numbers is associated with one of the 8 directions. An s indicates a "sticky" value, which I suppose has some logic tied to it for four-way games.

Edited by Tron1001 (04/05/13 01:33 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3289