View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/05/13
Send PM

Questions about CPS1 A boards
#308030 - 04/29/13 11:37 PM

As far as I see it, there are various versions of the CPS-1 board. For example, there are versions with 10 Hz and 12 Hz. And while Wikipedia lists a screenshot with a Motorola processor called MC68000FN10, I saw another board where there in the same place there is one called HD68HC000CP12.

That's why I'd like to know: Which board was used for the American version of "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior", and specifically version "US 910206" (which, in MAME, would be sf2ua)?
I know that all boards are compatible, but if I want to have the very A board that was actually combined with the game in real arcade machines, which one do I have to find?

Marcelo_20XX
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/20/13
Send PM

Re: Questions about CPS1 A boards new [Re: DaRayu]
#308032 - 04/29/13 11:46 PM

Are you trying to mount the game on a Cabinet or for playing on a Desktop PC, If the latter is the case the only thing you need to worry is having the game at 60Mhz refresh rate, I know this is not accurate from a emulation perspective but that will ensure you don't get stutters every now and then when the game scrolls (for me its unbearable at least).

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#308033 - 04/29/13 11:46 PM

There are 4 versions I've run into. The original long board 10 mhz version that was on Final Fight and others, the short 10 mhz version which was on The World Warrior and others, the Dash 12 mhz version that was on Champion Edition onward, and the Qsound board, but that is really "CPS1.5". World Warrior used the short 10 mhz version but you can use the long board, 10 mhz or a Dash 12 mhz with it and they will all run it the same speed afaik. If the game can't make use of the 2 mhz increase then it won't just run faster. But if you run Champion Edition onward on the older 10 mhz short board, they will run slower than they should. The old long board is generally compatible going forward but I've run into games it won't work on, and I think there are some really early games like the original Final Fight release that require it.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Questions about CPS1 A boards new [Re: Smitdogg]
#308037 - 04/30/13 12:01 AM

> Are you trying to mount the game on a Cabinet or for playing on a Desktop PC

Even though I posted my question here, it actually has nothing to do with the emulation. I was talking about the actual hardware because I own an original "Street Fighter II" B board and now want to have the "authentic" A board.

> There are 4 versions I've run into. The original long board 10 mhz version that was
> on Final Fight and others, the short 10 mhz version which was on The World Warrior
> and others, the Dash 12 mhz version that was on Champion Edition onward, and the
> Qsound board, but that is really "CPS1.5". World Warrior used the short 10 mhz
> version but you can use the long board, 10 mhz or a Dash 12 mhz with it and they will
> all run it the same speed afaik.

Yes, I'm quite sure that they're compatible between each other, but I still want to have the "real" one.
How do I distinguish the long 10 Mhz version from the short 10 Mhz version?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#308040 - 04/30/13 12:32 AM

The short version is just barely longer than the B board that will be fit into it. It's the same size as a Dash one. The long board is way longer, about 1.25 times as long as the B. The only way a World Warrior will have the long board installed is if its motherboard went bad and someone swapped them.

Here is the short installed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/street-fighter-2...=item257d0a83ae

Here is the long:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Capcom-Final-Fig...=item5655ce1443

Marcelo_20XX
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308041 - 04/30/13 12:50 AM

Well I went to a friend who works at a local coin-op and have the game and Final Fight USA too:

For the Street Fighter II 910206 it uses the 89626A-4 at 10Mhz
Final Fight uses: 88617A-7b at 10 MHz too

Hope this helps you

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Questions about CPS1 A boards new [Re: Marcelo_20XX]
#308043 - 04/30/13 01:28 AM

@Both:

Thanks for the information. I guess I know enough now to get the correct board at eBay. Unfortunately, I will still have to ask the sellers to do separate screenshots without the B board on top because otherwise I can't see if it's the 10 Hz or the 12 Hz version.

@Marcelo_20XX:

An unrelated question: The game at your local arcade, is this really specifically version 910206 of "Street Fighter II" and not just any revision? Did you see the number on the screen?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#308045 - 04/30/13 01:46 AM

Dash (12) motherboards came with a tiny blue "Dash" sticker on them near the Jamma connector. They can fall off, but if you see one on there you can save yourself the trouble of asking. Usually what I've seen is the games that should use Dash boards had their Dash go bad and get replaced incorrectly with a 10 mhz, not the opposite.

Marcelo_20XX
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308048 - 04/30/13 01:51 AM

Its the exact same number, I saw it when resetting the machine. We also inspected the Champion Edition and uses the 89626A-4 DASH at 12Mhz and smitdogg is right it has a sticker attached to it that says clearly DASH

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Questions about CPS1 A boards new [Re: Marcelo_20XX]
#308054 - 04/30/13 03:00 AM

> Usually what I've seen is the games that should use Dash boards
> had their Dash go bad and get replaced incorrectly with a 10 mhz, not the opposite.

Ironically, I got a "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior" version with a Dash board even though I wanted the older 10 Hz board. I guess I should have asked before. Do you want to have it?

> Its the exact same number, I saw it when resetting the machine.

Cool. I asked because I was still wondering why "sf2ub" can be bought so often on eBay while "sf2ua" is so rare and I was asking myself if "sf2ua" was ever actually officially published or if it is maybe some leaked prototype-like version. Especially since the first known versions of the game for Japan and Europe (910214) equal the date of "sf2ub". So, it is nice to know about an example of an actual arcade that has the "sf2ua" machine.

Another question: Are there any statistics about the rarity of the various revisions of arcade games? For example, for "Mortal Kombat", the most common version seems to be revision 3, even though it's not the final one. So, I'd like to know about how common different versions of games are.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#308055 - 04/30/13 03:34 AM

> > Usually what I've seen is the games that should use Dash boards
> > had their Dash go bad and get replaced incorrectly with a 10 mhz, not the opposite.
>
> Ironically, I got a "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior" version with a Dash board
> even though I wanted the older 10 Hz board. I guess I should have asked before. Do
> you want to have it?

Definitely. Are you in the states?

>
> > Its the exact same number, I saw it when resetting the machine.
>
> Cool. I asked because I was still wondering why "sf2ub" can be bought so often on
> eBay while "sf2ua" is so rare and I was asking myself if "sf2ua" was ever actually
> officially published or if it is maybe some leaked prototype-like version. Especially
> since the first known versions of the game for Japan and Europe (910214) equal the
> date of "sf2ub". So, it is nice to know about an example of an actual arcade that has
> the "sf2ua" machine.
>
>
> Another question: Are there any statistics about the rarity of the various revisions
> of arcade games? For example, for "Mortal Kombat", the most common version seems to
> be revision 3, even though it's not the final one. So, I'd like to know about how
> common different versions of games are.

Nope I've never seen anyone compile stats like that. It's rare to find people who care about revisions at all.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308057 - 04/30/13 04:07 AM

> > Do you want to have it?
>
> Definitely. Are you in the states?

Really? That was actually just a joke question. What do you want with it?
Well, no, I'm not in the United States. I live in Germany. I ordered it from the USA.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#308058 - 04/30/13 04:13 AM

Oh, I missed the pun. It sounded like you didn't want it and had no use for it. I can always use more CPS1-3 parts. It's some of the only hardware I have fun with anymore. Many of the parts are interchangeable, and useful for fixing other broken games. I was curious why you would be so anti Champion/Hyper and pro WW, but you were so adamant about that specific revision I didn't bother asking. I still don't get the joke though.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308060 - 04/30/13 04:25 AM

> Oh, I missed the pun. It sounded like you didn't want it and had no use for it.

That's right. I would sell it since I don't need it. I just didn't think that anybody would say yes, so my question was just for fun. But it's actually real and not meant ironically.

> I was curious why you would be so anti Champion/Hyper and pro WW, but you were so
> adamant about that specific revision I didn't bother asking.

This has less to do with the games and more with what originally belonged together. If I had "Champion Edition", I would want the 12 Hz board. It's just that I don't want the "World Warrior" game with the "Champion Edition" board.

My original purchase was the B board of "sf2ua" because that's the game I want to play: The original revision of the original game. Then I needed a CPS1 A board of course. So, I bought one which also happened to have "sf2ub" on it. But unfortunately, I didn't ask which version it is and it turned out it's the 12 Hz Dash board. Now, I would sell the Dash board with "sf2ub". I keep my "sf2ua" game and I'm looking for the short 10 Hz A board to play "sf2ua" with. That's my current situation.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#308061 - 04/30/13 04:30 AM

I'm not sure which forum would be best for it, maybe klov, but there is probably someone in the opposite position, needing a Dash and being stuck with a 10, who would do a straight swap with you, maybe even within Germany. I'm not sure. The Dash is much better to have since it's more compatible, supporting Champ + accurately. So lots of people would trade.

DaRayu
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308206 - 05/02/13 10:24 PM

I already bought the 10 Hz version. This time I asked the seller to remove the B board and make snapshots.

So, do you still want to have the 12 Mhz board? I would sell it to you.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#308207 - 05/02/13 10:33 PM

Nope, I'd take it if you were giving it away in the states. It's only worth around the cost of international shipping on it.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#308247 - 05/03/13 06:41 PM

> I already bought the 10 Hz version. This time I asked the seller to remove the B
> board and make snapshots.
>
> So, do you still want to have the 12 Mhz board? I would sell it to you.

You could try KLOV or Jamma Plus, the latter being more European as Smitt said.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4390