Pages: 1

ahh
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/13
Send PM

MAME4iOS 1.6 released.
#308719 - 05/15/13 06:28 PM

MAME4iOS 1.6 released.

There are builds for jailbroken and non-jailbroken devices.

On non-jailbroken devices you must resign the app bundle with your own Apple developer certificate.

Changelog:

• Added Peer to peer netplay multiplayer over WI-FI or Bluetooth.
  • Options menu reworked.
  • Added Vector defaults options.
  • Added Emulation speed and thread type options.
  • Sixaxis fixes. Some other bug fixes.

MAME4iOS supports a simple, but effective netplay implementation over WIFI or Bluetooth (WPAN).

You must specify whether you will be hosting (server) or joining (client) the game. If joining, you must also enter the host's IP address in the field below. Make sure your firewall is open on port 55435 (default; you can change it if you like) and that the port is forwarded in your router, if applicable.

Host frame sync (or bluetooth latency) option, denotes the maximum number of frames MAME4iOS will need to emulate at once to maintain synchonization due to actual network latency. You can figure out an appropriate ballpark for this number by pinging the other player and dividing the time (in milliseconds) by 16 (roughly the number of milliseconds in a frame from a game running at 60 fps). If the gameplay is a bit choppy, try increasing the number of delay frames a bit. You can change this value at real time on the host device.

TIP: Disable not needed radios (WI-FI or bluetooth) to improve netplay performance.

You can download at:

https://code.google.com/p/imame4all/

Edited by ahh (05/15/13 06:29 PM)

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: ahh]
#308753 - 05/16/13 03:27 PM

Great news, I'm always happy the IOS version gets updated because it's fun having a portable mame !

Have you found a way to update it to 0.148 in the future ?

Thanks for your hard work.

Reznnate
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/07/05
Send PM

#308761 - 05/16/13 07:02 PM

Looking forward to the Android update. My new toy (http://shield.nvidia.com/) is pretty awesome for playing emulated games. PSX1 games are locked at 60fps so I think it'll be perfectly capable of running most MAME games as well.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: Reznnate]
#308765 - 05/16/13 08:04 PM

> PSX1 games are locked at 60fps so I think it'll be perfectly capable of running
> most MAME games as well.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Anyway, how do you have one already, do you work for Big Green? If so, please install the existing MAME4Droid Reloaded (not plain MAME4Droid, that's garbage) and run some benches ;-)

ahh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: kevenz]
#308766 - 05/16/13 08:06 PM

> Great news, I'm always happy the IOS version gets updated because it's fun having a
> portable mame !
>
> Have you found a way to update it to 0.148 in the future ?
>
> Thanks for your hard work.

I would like to update droid now, so I'm going to work on it the next month.

I'm really interested in the new Google Play Game services now that i have implemented netplay on iOS and on OSD mame.

I would like to add some kind of invite room and a some leaderboards for selected games żAny preferences?

As you see, MAME4iOS and MAME4droid is more than a simple port, with some nice features missing on standard MAME.

It is becoming more difficult to update to recent MAME builds, but i would like to do in a future.

ahh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: Reznnate]
#308769 - 05/16/13 08:12 PM

> Looking forward to the Android update. My new toy (http://shield.nvidia.com/) is
> pretty awesome for playing emulated games. PSX1 games are locked at 60fps so I think
> it'll be perfectly capable of running most MAME games as well.

NVIDIA guys are going to send me a nvidia shield to develop with, so i would like to tune for this device.

I have done some testing on A15 devices an some 3d games like Xevious 3D are playable with some tweaking.

But don't be fooled, 3D games really needs a very powerfull machine and dynarec which MAME4droid is missing.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#308823 - 05/17/13 06:17 PM

> NVIDIA guys are going to send me a nvidia shield to develop with, so i would like to
> tune for this device.

Wow. I had to pay for mine, and I'm a) an actual MAMEdev b) the portability guy c) the only person not named "Aaron Giles" who knows how the DRCs work. Must be nice.

ahh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#308830 - 05/17/13 08:43 PM

Hi Robert.

I understand what you mean.

You're one of the developers of MAME team with more talent and I admire you most.

In any case, if we think carefully the time we dedicate to this hobby and the money we spent directly or indirectly in it, we probably should look for a hobby elsewhere.

I have develop more than 200k new lines of ansi c, objective c and java code dealing with Android ndk, android sdk and iOS api. Only for fun, you know.

I have spent money on google and ios dev accounts, purchased controllers or devices to develop with. While it is true that some people have donate some devices (I remember a MIPS android tablet and one iCade), really what I've done is put a lot of time and money because I love arcade games and i want that my kids (and other people) not forgot the arcade machines that i played when i was child.

I'm sure you could probably do things that would cost me more effort and I would not mind collaborating in the future if you want to improve some aspect of the work I've done.

Edited by ahh (05/17/13 08:56 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#308833 - 05/17/13 08:55 PM

> In any case, if we think carefully the time we dedicate to this hobby and the money
> we spent directly or indirectly we probably will look elsewhere hobby.

Yeah, I've spent more on postage to Australia than most people do in several lifetimes ;-)

Anyway, I do want to bring Android into the main tree somehow, probably based around SDL 2.0 once that's released (allegedly before the end of this month). I need to screw around with the NDK some more first though. I think with a DRC backend for ARM the Tegra 4 should be able to run Killer Instinct / KI2 and the CPS-3 games.

ahh
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308834 - 05/17/13 09:15 PM

> Anyway, I do want to bring Android into the main tree somehow, probably based around
> SDL 2.0 once that's released (allegedly before the end of this month). I need to

WoW that's greats news.

Have you finally solved the ARM portability problems beyond 139?

> screw around with the NDK some more first though. I think with a DRC backend for ARM
> the Tegra 4 should be able to run Killer Instinct / KI2 and the CPS-3 games.

Currently CPS-3 games are playable at full speed on iOS a6 devices using the interpreter doing some underclocking (yes i know it is not the way... but it works really well).

Apple don't allow DRC as you know (on no jailbreak systems).

In any case, Android and iOS have some drawbacks yet to emulate most demanding systems.

I had to discard some kind of netplay rollback system like GGPO due to performance issues. I'm very courius to see how tegra4 performs.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#308864 - 05/18/13 08:19 AM

> Have you finally solved the ARM portability problems beyond 139?

I wasn't aware we'd tried. If people outside mamedev can't figure out how to make it work then that isn't our fault.

ahh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: ]
#308868 - 05/18/13 10:08 AM

> > Have you finally solved the ARM portability problems beyond 139?
>
> I wasn't aware we'd tried. If people outside mamedev can't figure out how to make it
> work then that isn't our fault.

Hi,

I think you have not understood the question...

Really i have fixed some issues related to portability on 139 base code related to data aligment.

... But Robert was talking about doing a sdl MAME official android port based on latest base code... and i think it is a really good idea

I was dealing with 0.14x source code time ago and i know it has some portability issues..

In fact i had to hack some core mame files like emualloc to get it working. (but there were other problems)

I know Robert is aware of this problems that's why i have asked him about if he had fixed it since he is the portability guy and he is thinking on doing a straight android port.

cheers!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#308913 - 05/19/13 01:26 AM

> ... But Robert was talking about doing a sdl MAME official android port based on
> latest base code... and i think it is a really good idea

> I know Robert is aware of this problems that's why i have asked him about if he had
> fixed it since he is the portability guy and he is thinking on doing a straight
> android port.
>
> cheers!

Wow I'm glad that someone is taking over it rather have it sit and not updating.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: ]
#308919 - 05/19/13 04:35 AM

> > Have you finally solved the ARM portability problems beyond 139?
>
> I wasn't aware we'd tried. If people outside mamedev can't figure out how to make it
> work then that isn't our fault.

People outside *have* gotten it to work. One possible solution was posted here the last time it was brought up, and I posted it to the list, and nobody involved in the relevant code said a word so nothing happened.

ahh
MAME Fan
Send PM

#308924 - 05/19/13 10:56 AM

> > > Have you finally solved the ARM portability problems beyond 139?
> >
> > I wasn't aware we'd tried. If people outside mamedev can't figure out how to make
> it
> > work then that isn't our fault.
>
> People outside *have* gotten it to work. One possible solution was posted here the
> last time it was brought up, and I posted it to the list, and nobody involved in the
> relevant code said a word so nothing happened.

Really, it not was a solution, becouse, basically it was breaking memory pooling.

when i was dealing with it i realize that the emualloc problem it was here:

295 // fetch the ID of this item's pointer; some implementations put hidden data
296 // before, so if we don't find it, check 4 bytes ahead
297 memory_entry *entry = memory_entry::find(item.m_ptr);
298 if (entry == NULL)
299 entry = memory_entry::find(reinterpret_cast(item.m_ptr) - sizeof(size_t));

Really i dont understand why some implementatios put 4 bytes... it was not true for android systems (Aron help us)

i did a workround:

if (entry == NULL)

entry = memory_entry::find(reinterpret_cast(item.m_ptr) - sizeof(size_t));

if (entry == NULL)

{

entry = memory_entry::find(reinterpret_cast(item.m_ptr) -8);

__android_log_print(ANDROID_LOG_DEBUG, "PP", "#%06d, add %d bytes (%s:%d)\n", (UINT32)entry->m_id, static_cast(entry->m_size), entry->m_file, (int)entry->m_line);

//entry = NULL;

}

Edited by ahh (05/19/13 10:58 AM)

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#315659 - 10/10/13 09:26 PM

Hello, ahh !

sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if updating mame4ios to 64bits is a possibility ? and will it benifit games in therm of speed improvement ?

Thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#315740 - 10/12/13 12:51 PM

> Really i dont understand why some implementatios put 4 bytes... it was not true for
> android systems (Aron help us)

Yeah that code is designed completely wrong. People read the comment and see it as a justification, but it smells real bad.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#315742 - 10/12/13 01:19 PM

Does that mean an ARM backend for the DRC is something that the MAME team actually wants to write?

ahh
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME4iOS 1.6 released. new [Re: kevenz]
#316816 - 11/03/13 11:25 AM

> Hello, ahh !
>
> sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if updating mame4ios to 64bits is
> a possibility ? and will it benifit games in therm of speed improvement ?
>
> Thanks

I have purchased a new iPad Air which have a new a7 64 bits SOC running at 1.4ghz.

It is amazing fast... Now mame4ios runs some 3d games at full speed without frame skip like xevious 3d or tekken 2. Other games are fully payable like radiant silver gun with a little under clocking.

WOW ... It's desktop performance.

I will try to build a new 64 bit bundle to see performance improvements and I will add support for mfi controllers and iOS 7 support in a few weeks .

Stay tuned.

Edited by ahh (11/03/13 11:35 AM)

Aftershock
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/13/14
Send PM

#323287 - 03/13/14 02:08 PM

> > Hello, ahh !
> >
> > sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if updating mame4ios to 64bits
> is
> > a possibility ? and will it benifit games in therm of speed improvement ?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I have purchased a new iPad Air which have a new a7 64 bits SOC running at 1.4ghz.
>
> It is amazing fast... Now mame4ios runs some 3d games at full speed without frame
> skip like xevious 3d or tekken 2. Other games are fully payable like radiant silver
> gun with a little under clocking.
>
> WOW ... It's desktop performance.
>
> I will try to build a new 64 bit bundle to see performance improvements and I will
> add support for mfi controllers and iOS 7 support in a few weeks .
>
> Stay tuned.

Sorry to bump a very old thread... Did we every get anywhere with adding bluetooth controller support in ios7?

I can get mame4ios to run on my Ipad air on 7.06 but connecting to a dual shock controller no longer works.

I still have retroarch but I doesn't support a lot of the arcade roms I'd like to play.

Edit.. A fresh re-install cured the problem :-)

Edited by Aftershock (03/14/14 11:03 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3720