Pages: 1

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Gone Fishing
#311737 - 07/21/13 05:14 PM

Hi,

My wife plays this game nonstop whenever we go to Dave & Busters. Does anyone know if it has been emulated on any system, or if a similar clone game is available? It doesn't need to be fancy; could just be a flash based game so she could play on her PC.

Thanks for any info and help.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Gone Fishing new [Re: Surgeville]
#311739 - 07/21/13 05:42 PM

It's a Flash game on PC in a cabinet based off the popular Yeti Sports game. Some of the sequels/hacks are maybe more fun. You can find a lot googling it:

http://www.lethalpenguin.net/games/games_frame_penguin.php

The ones near the bottom...

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#311754 - 07/22/13 01:13 AM

Funny you mention that game. I was just recently at our D&B and our cabinet is gone. Unfortunately I missed the auction it was in by a day or two. I always enjoyed taking a shot or 2 at that one. Just a nice plain simple game. I don't even know what it ended up going for. No one ever played it, too many flashier(?) louder games around for the kids.

Does yours actually have the cab art? This one was just in a plain cab, no marquee or anything. Screen never said a company name or anything. Just "Gone Fishin'" in the corner. Had a longest distance page with 3 initials but never let you enter them if you beat them. Kinda hard to do with just 1 big button too!

Oh well, maybe you can grab that 1 cheap...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

Re: Gone Fishing new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#311939 - 07/25/13 04:46 AM

> Does yours actually have the cab art?
The one by me has all the artwork still.

I contacted the company that made the game in a round about way.
This arcade version, in D&B, was licensed by Tsunami Visual Technologies.
They licensed it for a year to make arcade games of it. It looks like the Tsunami game will be harder to find as time goes by, since Tsunami is out of business. I couldn't seem to contact anyone there, and LinkedIn shows no one currently working there - only past work history.

Originally it was just a bartop touchscreen game made by JVL. However, JVL no longer makes that game, but has upgraded it to an "HD" version. When I contacted JVL, they told me they only sell the "HD" as part of a bartop that comes with 100+ games on it. Sold for $2395, or $1950 for dealers.

Since I only wanted the "original" Tsunami version, there wasn't any chance of a sale.

Thanks for letting me know that your D&B got rid of theirs. Maybe I'll inquire from mine if they are willing to part with it.

Thanks!

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

Re: Gone Fishing new [Re: Smitdogg]
#311975 - 07/25/13 06:25 PM

> It's a Flash game on PC in a cabinet based off the popular Yeti Sports game. Some of
> the sequels/hacks are maybe more fun. You can find a lot googling it:
>
> http://www.lethalpenguin.net/games/games_frame_penguin.php
>
> The ones near the bottom...

Thanks!
I found the penguin game ported to the Android. So now my wife has "hit penguin" on her phone. She says she prefers hitting the fish, but she was playing this anyways.

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

#362114 - 01/01/17 05:32 PM

> > It's a Flash game on PC in a cabinet based off the popular Yeti Sports game. Some
> of
> > the sequels/hacks are maybe more fun. You can find a lot googling it:
> >
> > http://www.lethalpenguin.net/games/games_frame_penguin.php
> >
> > The ones near the bottom...
>
> Thanks!
> I found the penguin game ported to the Android. So now my wife has "hit penguin" on
> her phone. She says she prefers hitting the fish, but she was playing this anyways.

Hi All,

I finally bought this game (Gone Fishing ) for my wife. She still loves it, but I would like to get it preserved on MAME - if it has not been.
I live in Southern California, and have no knowledge on how to take things apart safely so that the game can be dumped. Is there someone in Southern California that could dump this for the community/me and make sure that all the parts find there way back to my wife's cabinet so she can continue playing it?

Thanks!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#362115 - 01/01/17 05:42 PM

Yeah we (DU) have members there. I'll see if I can get someone to contact you.

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

#362116 - 01/01/17 06:10 PM

> Yeah we (DU) have members there. I'll see if I can get someone to contact you.

Thanks

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#362117 - 01/01/17 08:58 PM

Great news!

For everyone involved!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#362751 - 01/21/17 01:55 AM

Hey sorry I meant to reply to this earlier and forgot to. House calls are actually extremely rare in dumping and I haven't gotten any interest here for one. With a PC based game we would need basically 3 things: hard drive dump, bios dump(s) and hardware information. So you could either pull the whole computer and ship and loan that out or follow instructions on doing it yourself. As for house calls in dumping I'd say less than .1% of the dumps in mame are from them. With a computer from recent years it's feasible to say the motherboard bios could be gotten from an external source/download/program and all you would need to do is buy a cheap adapter to read out the hard drive to another PC and otherwise would probably only need to take a bunch of pics of the inside of the computer and maybe an alt boot so we'd know the CPU, RAM, motherboard, videocard and whatnot. Again, house calls are extremely rare so some basic work from yourself or else pulling the computer and shipping it out.

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

#362752 - 01/21/17 02:10 AM

> Hey sorry I meant to reply to this earlier and forgot to. House calls are actually
> extremely rare in dumping and I haven't gotten any interest here for one. With a PC
> based game we would need basically 3 things: hard drive dump, bios dump(s) and
> hardware information. So you could either pull the whole computer and ship and loan
> that out or follow instructions on doing it yourself. As for house calls in dumping
> I'd say less than .1% of the dumps in mame are from them. With a computer from recent
> years it's feasible to say the motherboard bios could be gotten from an external
> source/download/program and all you would need to do is buy a cheap adapter to read
> out the hard drive to another PC and otherwise would probably only need to take a
> bunch of pics of the inside of the computer and maybe an alt boot so we'd know the
> CPU, RAM, motherboard, videocard and whatnot. Again, house calls are extremely rare
> so some basic work from yourself or else pulling the computer and shipping it out.

Okay. Thanks for the info. When you get a chance, if you could please point me to instructions so I can try to do what is needed to read and copy the hard drive.
Thanks again!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#362753 - 01/21/17 02:17 AM

To be clear, it's a regular old mechanical hard drive?

Also can you take pics?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#362771 - 01/21/17 06:19 PM

I got the pics, thanks, it looks from a search that the hard drive is a compact flash card 2.33 gb but it would be best to get pics of it before I tell you which adapter to buy in case their are different types. I'm not sure if stuff like "compact flash II+" and whatnot changes the hookup or not. So one of the pics needs to show its hookup/holes.

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

#362779 - 01/22/17 02:30 AM

> I got the pics, thanks, it looks from a search that the hard drive is a compact flash
> card 2.33 gb but it would be best to get pics of it before I tell you which adapter
> to buy in case their are different types. I'm not sure if stuff like "compact flash
> II+" and whatnot changes the hookup or not. So one of the pics needs to show its
> hookup/holes.
Sounds good. I'm out of town today, but will be back late tomorrow and see what I can get for you.
Thanks again.

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: Gone Fishing (a bit OT) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#362791 - 01/22/17 08:56 PM

> Hey sorry I meant to reply to this earlier and forgot to. House calls are actually
> extremely rare in dumping and I haven't gotten any interest here for one. With a PC
> based game we would need basically 3 things: hard drive dump, bios dump(s) and
> hardware information. So you could either pull the whole computer and ship and loan
> that out or follow instructions on doing it yourself. As for house calls in dumping
> I'd say less than .1% of the dumps in mame are from them. With a computer from recent
> years it's feasible to say the motherboard bios could be gotten from an external
> source/download/program and all you would need to do is buy a cheap adapter to read
> out the hard drive to another PC and otherwise would probably only need to take a
> bunch of pics of the inside of the computer and maybe an alt boot so we'd know the
> CPU, RAM, motherboard, videocard and whatnot. Again, house calls are extremely rare
> so some basic work from yourself or else pulling the computer and shipping it out.

So, a bit off-topic, but since you mentioned house calls for dumps...

Back in 1998 (I think; I'll have to research this), I came across, quite by accident, a Space Invaders II cocktail machine at a lasertag/arcade facility about 50 miles from my home, and posted the find to the MAME dev list that was in operation back then. Frank Palazzolo and I met up the next night and drove down to the place, since it was a pretty rare machine and not emulated in MAME at the time. Frank put up the majority of the cash since I didn't have all of funds at the time, but we got it at a decent price ($300, if I recall). We brought the machine back to my house, and Frank took the boards home with him for dumping and the majority of the emulation work. I helped with the overlay colors and layout, and recorded the samples, since the game itself has two sound boards and some of the Invaders samples were missing from MAME back then (extra life and mystery saucer, IIRC). I bought the boards back from Frank and sold the machine a few years later. The listing on VAPS and the pictures there are of the same machine that the MAME dumps came from.

So, not quite the same situation, but a story that I wanted to share since your post reminded me of it.

Edited by Brian Deuel (01/22/17 09:02 PM)

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

Re: Gone Fishing (a bit OT) new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#362799 - 01/23/17 04:51 AM

> > Hey sorry I meant to reply to this earlier and forgot to. House calls are actually
> > extremely rare in dumping and I haven't gotten any interest here for one. With a PC
> > based game we would need basically 3 things: hard drive dump, bios dump(s) and
> > hardware information. So you could either pull the whole computer and ship and loan
> > that out or follow instructions on doing it yourself. As for house calls in dumping
> > I'd say less than .1% of the dumps in mame are from them. With a computer from
> recent
> > years it's feasible to say the motherboard bios could be gotten from an external
> > source/download/program and all you would need to do is buy a cheap adapter to read
> > out the hard drive to another PC and otherwise would probably only need to take a
> > bunch of pics of the inside of the computer and maybe an alt boot so we'd know the
> > CPU, RAM, motherboard, videocard and whatnot. Again, house calls are extremely rare
> > so some basic work from yourself or else pulling the computer and shipping it out.
>
> So, a bit off-topic, but since you mentioned house calls for dumps...
>
> Back in 1998 (I think; I'll have to research this), I came across, quite by accident,
> a Space Invaders II cocktail machine at a lasertag/arcade facility about 50 miles
> from my home, and posted the find to the MAME dev list that was in operation back
> then. Frank Palazzolo and I met up the next night and drove down to the place, since
> it was a pretty rare machine and not emulated in MAME at the time. Frank put up the
> majority of the cash since I didn't have all of funds at the time, but we got it at a
> decent price ($300, if I recall). We brought the machine back to my house, and Frank
> took the boards home with him for dumping and the majority of the emulation work. I
> helped with the overlay colors and layout, and recorded the samples, since the game
> itself has two sound boards and some of the Invaders samples were missing from MAME
> back then (extra life and mystery saucer, IIRC). I bought the boards back from Frank
> and sold the machine a few years later. The listing on VAPS and the pictures there
> are of the same machine that the MAME dumps came from.
>
> So, not quite the same situation, but a story that I wanted to share since your post
> reminded me of it.

Cool story. Fun to hear the history of these preservation projects.

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

#390990 - 05/30/21 01:34 PM

I'm going to be getting rid of my Gone Fishing cabinet. Before I do, I want to confirm the dump I did of the ROM and hard drive was good. Can someone in the know, please let me know we have a good dump before I 86 my unit?

Thanks!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#391001 - 06/01/21 01:02 AM

> I'm going to be getting rid of my Gone Fishing cabinet. Before I do, I want to
> confirm the dump I did of the ROM and hard drive was good. Can someone in the know,
> please let me know we have a good dump before I 86 my unit?
>
> Thanks!

Given that the hardware is well outside the scope of anything MAME emulates right now, I don't think there's a single person who can tell you this.

You sell it at the risk that it isn't. If you've done your best to ensure that it is (using the HDD image on a cloned drive, tried programming another chip with the BIOS dump etc.) then that's the best you can do, but this is a bit beyond the scope of being able to verify with emulation.

Surgeville
Occasional Lurker
Send PM

Re: Gone Fishing new [Re: Haze]
#391004 - 06/03/21 02:53 AM

> > I'm going to be getting rid of my Gone Fishing cabinet. Before I do, I want to
> > confirm the dump I did of the ROM and hard drive was good. Can someone in the know,
> > please let me know we have a good dump before I 86 my unit?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Given that the hardware is well outside the scope of anything MAME emulates right
> now, I don't think there's a single person who can tell you this.
>
> You sell it at the risk that it isn't. If you've done your best to ensure that it is
> (using the HDD image on a cloned drive, tried programming another chip with the BIOS
> dump etc.) then that's the best you can do, but this is a bit beyond the scope of
> being able to verify with emulation.

Okay. I appreciate the info and understand. I'll just have to cross my fingers that it was good 🤞. As long as the MAME team has what I provided, I guess that's the best I can do. Thanks Haze

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5211