Pages: 1

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

Showtime NBA on NBC status
#314451 - 09/13/13 07:55 AM

If memory serves, is the combo NFL Blitz/Showtime game pretty much a lost cause due to something with security? What about the single Showtime game? Looks like the menu opens fine but it bombs out with a sound issue/black screen. What's the current skinny with NBA these days?

Thanks,
Jason

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: yoeddy]
#314460 - 09/13/13 05:56 PM

> If memory serves, is the combo NFL Blitz/Showtime game pretty much a lost cause due
> to something with security? What about the single Showtime game? Looks like the menu
> opens fine but it bombs out with a sound issue/black screen. What's the current
> skinny with NBA these days?

It's very literally an "if we knew what was wrong it'd be fixed" scenario, because that's a pretty popular game

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: R. Belmont]
#314462 - 09/13/13 07:30 PM

The combo game also uses a Voodoo Banshee video card, which I don't think is fully supported in the current 3dfx emulation.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: Reznor007]
#314464 - 09/13/13 07:45 PM

> The combo game also uses a Voodoo Banshee video card, which I don't think is fully
> supported in the current 3dfx emulation.

Related:
I made a note about that to Aaron the other day:

Quote:

According to this post:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=164127
Sportstation uses a Quantum 3D Raven PCI board instead of a Quantum 3D Obsidian2.
Not sure what else on Vegas hardware uses a Raven. I've seen a couple of pages say NBA Showtime. I'm surprised our source doesn't say in the comments? Know anything about this?

Of course, we don't currently emulate Sportstation AFAIK...

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#314467 - 09/13/13 10:29 PM

> The combo game also uses a Voodoo Banshee video card, which I don't think is fully
> supported in the current 3dfx emulation.

Not fully, but it's supported enough that I doubt it's the problem with these games. Ville had it showing 3D in some other stuff.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#314483 - 09/14/13 05:18 AM

Yea, after messing with the power on test DIP it will actually display stuff. The SIO board test comes up and it seems to pass all the CMOS tests, but freezes halfway through displaying "Wat" which I assume is watchdog.

Arcade Horse
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/13
Send PM

#317157 - 11/08/13 09:21 PM

> Yea, after messing with the power on test DIP it will actually display stuff. The SIO
> board test comes up and it seems to pass all the CMOS tests, but freezes halfway
> through displaying "Wat" which I assume is watchdog.

This.. AND because there are 5 versions (maybe 6) the boot room and version has to be exact. Plus besides Gauntlet legends I haven't seen.any.Vegas boardset games work..

Pikes
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/13/15
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: Stiletto]
#336980 - 02/16/15 12:10 PM

Hi people! Has anything changed or any updates on status? Or is anyone even on it? Heh..

Feels a bit strange (at least to a new guy like me) that a title this huge is still not working Thought people would work their ass off the get a game like this to work

Would anyone be kind enough to explain simple what is the problem? Can't be a performance matter in 2015, or can it?

Is there even a chance? Or is it impossible to debug it?

Thanks in advance,

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: Pikes]
#336981 - 02/16/15 12:31 PM

> Feels a bit strange (at least to a new guy like me) that a title this huge is still
> not working Thought people would work their ass off the get a game like this to work

Well what are you doing to get it working? I don't see you working your arse off. Why do you expect anyone else would be? We have lives too, you know.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#336982 - 02/16/15 12:58 PM

> Would anyone be kind enough to explain simple what is the problem?

The hell should we know? If the devs knew what the problem was, the devs would have fixed it already. Think, McFly, think.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#336985 - 02/16/15 03:31 PM

> Would anyone be kind enough to explain simple what is the problem?

The game code was written by a monkey on crack.

OG.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

DevQuote++ *nt* new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#336988 - 02/16/15 06:56 PM

> > Would anyone be kind enough to explain simple what is the problem?
>
> The game code was written by a monkey on crack.
>
> OG.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#337008 - 02/17/15 05:01 AM

> Hi people! Has anything changed or any updates on status? Or is anyone even on it?
> Heh..
>
> Feels a bit strange (at least to a new guy like me) that a title this huge is still
> not working Thought people would work their ass off the get a game like this to work
>
> Would anyone be kind enough to explain simple what is the problem? Can't be a
> performance matter in 2015, or can it?
>
> Is there even a chance? Or is it impossible to debug it?
>
> Thanks in advance,

"...the best way to ensure something doesn't happen in MAME is to pester us about it." - R. Belmont

"MAME is an unpaid volunteer project so we cannot give time frames on fixes." - R. Belmont

"...the supply of games where we can dump them and a couple of guys can get them running in a few days is for all intents and purposes limited to gambling and mahjong now. That's simply what's left, so you're going to see a lot more of them with occasional high-profile exceptions." - R. Belmont

"Nearly everything left [to do] in MAME requires very specific skill sets and so things happen at the speed of the people with those skills." - R. Belmont

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#337040 - 02/18/15 06:16 PM

Huh. I know the original NBA Jam is still huge, and there's people who still love Konami's Run and Gun and Double Dribble, but I've never heard of there being a fandom for ShowTime.

> Would anyone be kind enough to explain simple what is the problem? Can't be a
> performance matter in 2015, or can it?

Performance will definitely be a matter if this game starts running. It's a faster video card than Blitz and Gauntlet Legends.

> Is there even a chance? Or is it impossible to debug it?

I think this part is adequately covered by the other responses

4mboss
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/15
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#337442 - 03/04/15 08:55 PM

hi all, i think the problem is the sound but the game nfl/nba 2000 it doesn't start is the black screen, but if I play just nba showtime part but it's slow and I can't play .... i think the problem is the sound, would find the solution to emulate the sound i think. THank you

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: 4mboss]
#337471 - 03/05/15 10:15 PM

> hi all, i think the problem is the sound but the game nfl/nba 2000 it doesn't start
> is the black screen, but if I play just nba showtime part but it's slow and I can't
> play .... i think the problem is the sound, would find the solution to emulate the
> sound i think. THank you

No, the IDE driver in the games is the issue, as identified by OG.

4mboss
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/15
Send PM

#337498 - 03/06/15 11:30 AM

so should I wait for new updates for mame?? Thank you very much

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Showtime NBA on NBC status new [Re: 4mboss]
#337499 - 03/06/15 01:29 PM

Quote:

so should I wait for new updates for mame??

Even IF the game gets to a playable status, which would probably be years from now... your computer will most likely not be powerful enough to run the game at full speed. So don't hold your breath... actually please do.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6949