MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

kung47fu
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/13
Send PM

POLYBIUS for you?
#315606 - 10/09/13 09:03 PM Attachment: polyreal4.png 4 KB (1 downloads)

More of a story and question.

i have played 1 of the 5 real POLYBIUS cabinets and it freaked me out, i could have died.
A friend of mine close to a big hacker group took me along to some friends of his, me knowing what the cab was i was interested to see what the effects could be, he pulled the warning paper off of one of the 5 cabs and started it up,
First i noticed what a narrow game play it had all you could do was point in left or right and shoot, so basically just pressing 1 button and that is the game play, you rarely get attacked from behind, i started seeing faces on the right next to the cab as reported by others, and as i went on that became more and more prominent, the music is a certain humming sound, but if you have really good ears you can hear a woman's voice crying screaming and also talking loose words, but it is so faint that you don't even notice it if you are unaware, and even then you think it is your imagination,
i saw one subliminal message in blocky white letters probably because the screen was old so the phosphor stayed lit long enough to process the image in my head.
TERROR although i don't really know if it was that, it could have been something else.
i kept playing curious of what other shit i could find wrong with it, i try'd to analyse the sound, just loose words -useless -you -are popped up on the screen or was it the sound or both?, and strange enough this only happened when i ramp'd up the controls, if i did nothing it all went quiet, so basically this thing makes you torture yourself, and that thing you are fighting in the middle with its triangular view cone seems to get stronger, the more you shoot at it, there is no winning in this game,
at one point i had enough of it so i quit the game and i was just standing there thinking holy shit something is wrong my heart rate was slower or something and i did not want to move like on a salvia trip.
something between the controls and the images and sound had messed me up.
I felt like dropping dead right there at the spot my arms where drawn in like i touched a hot wire, or something scared me.
A friend was talking to me and touched me on the shoulder and out of nowhere i kicked his ass, (to stay alive).
other ppl stated that they have gotten (panic attacks breathing difficulty's) depression dizzyness headache

To make a long story short would it be a good thing to release a board for mame emulation knowing that you could hallucinate and all that? possibly stay in it??
damage you, kill you?
Or better not get your mind hacked, and keep it in the dark room where it is?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: POLYBIUS for you? new [Re: kung47fu]
#315609 - 10/09/13 10:29 PM

MAME is for Preservation and Documentation so as far as I know ( I know nothing, mind you) it should be included

But I could be missing something. Wait for a dev to answer.

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#315610 - 10/09/13 10:43 PM

Perhaps you missed the memo where I PWNED the Polybius urban legend like the SNOPES-style asskicker I am.

... but I've sat back, and let the Internet continue to play with their toy.

Because I'm kind.

And because the dude who created the urban legend is an annoying attention-seeker who does not deserve more.

But seeing posts like this make me want to destroy your toy.

- Stiletto

kung47fu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: POLYBIUS for you? new [Re: Stiletto]
#315612 - 10/09/13 10:58 PM

How can you debunk reality with out knowing what you are talking about?
The cab is real the effects are stronger then anything i have ever seen, they are all standing in a dark room in california nicely lined up in perfect condition, noone playing on them.

edit: O and you find out what game the screenshot is from,, this is the intermission or reset between rounds where the screen zooms in and out on the enemy boss in the middle. you go find the name and full game, with these exact graphix to prove your right, better yet save your time.

Edited by kung47fu (10/09/13 11:04 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#315613 - 10/09/13 11:22 PM

> How can you debunk reality with out knowing what you are talking about?
> The cab is real the effects are stronger then anything i have ever seen, they are all
> standing in a dark room in california nicely lined up in perfect condition, noone
> playing on them.
>
> edit: O and you find out what game the screenshot is from,, this is the intermission
> or reset between rounds where the screen zooms in and out on the enemy boss in the
> middle. you go find the name and full game, with these exact graphix to prove your
> right, better yet save your time.

I'm guessing you're a guy, probably aged less than 21. You just discovered the Polybius story.

You think by posting creepypasta here, you might cause a stir. "Let's troll the forum! Haha!"

What you haven't considered is: most forum regulars here are 35+ years old.
They were on USENET when the Polybius story BEGAN. We know the story BETTER than you.

Know. Your. Audience.

Also, your "unique screenshot" has been posted on at least six websites since 2009, genius.

- Stiletto

kung47fu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: POLYBIUS for you? new [Re: Stiletto]
#315616 - 10/09/13 11:56 PM

I am 29 i have no idea what creepy pasta is, and you did not look for this shot in any vector game because you do not have this game, and that is why i am here to ask ppl, what do they think? should it stay hidden or not?
If you do not believe in subliminal messages then that is your problem,<<<<<<< facts are that they have been outlawed for a reason.
and the quoting is realy anoying stop doing that, ppl that read the thread know what or who you are talking to, no need for the same text twice.

Edited by kung47fu (10/09/13 11:57 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#315617 - 10/10/13 12:22 AM

> I am 29 i have no idea what creepy pasta is, and you did not look for this shot in
> any vector game because you do not have this game, and that is why i am here to ask
> ppl, what do they think? should it stay hidden or not?
> If you do not believe in subliminal messages then that is your problem,<

Again, I can prove the history of this game's nonexistence. How the story was written, why, by who. I've been holding back on completely shutting it down like snopes.com because some people appreciate it artistically, esthetically as a story and find it entertaining, and because the person who created the story is some idiotic interwebz gloryhound. Please don't make me ruin your day.

Urbandictionary.com defines creepypasta as "creepy stories that float around on the Interwebs."
https://www.google.com/search?q=creepypasta

As for your image:
Google has this great thing called Image Search.
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&safe=off&q=polybius&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSXRpbCxCo1NgEGgIIAAwLELCMpwgaNAoyCAESDMUHwweeBJ8E3QXeBRognqWRKbcJDIdtBQx53J67Epxy0TaV78cd9XZoT6vJqIIMCxCOrv4IGgoKCAgBEgQyYjwjDA&sa=X&ei=09VVUqu8IPDj4APWnoGwCQ&ved=0CCgQ2A4oAQ&biw=1429&bih=584&dpr=0.9
Your "personal screenshot" seems to be found elsewhere, can you explain that, genius?

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

- Stiletto

PS. The quoting is automatically done, possibly due to the skin for the forum you're using or threaded-versus-flat-mode, I forget.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: POLYBIUS for you? new [Re: RATMNL]
#315624 - 10/10/13 02:54 AM

> MAME is for Preservation and Documentation so as far as I know ( I know nothing, mind
> you) it should be included
>
> But I could be missing something. Wait for a dev to answer.

Won't happen. The last attempted serious submission of "POLYBIUS.RAR" a few years ago showed it was clearly not any game but Tempest (Revision 2), complete with fictional label names which locations matched Tempest as well.

kung47fu
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: POLYBIUS for you? new [Re: Tafoid]
#315636 - 10/10/13 10:24 AM

How was it a serious submission if it was tempest? those 2 games have nothing in common apart from being vector games
i am done talking to Stiletto, he cannot find the game wich the screenshot belongs to, a screenshot wich i did not take but is real.
i can describe the animation the center boss made. the inner octagon weaved and warped a bit, the little triangles just seemed to vibrate slowly and the cube rotated the eye was fixed and the triangular view cone switched from left to right but only sometimes, i think it was measuring or timed on brain half switching or something, depending on the controls.

but my question was should it be released?
it is weird and possibly dangerous.
what if someone wants the highest score, or ignores warnings, or plays this alone?
it would somewhat like handing out LSD shrooms don't even do this. How can it be controlled, for ppl to experience?
In the end it is the rarest (game), but for a reason.
One of the cabs was made into a positive version without sound, that could be relesed without problems, but it would still not be the same.

Edited by kung47fu (10/10/13 10:29 AM)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#315645 - 10/10/13 02:47 PM

> How was it a serious submission if it was tempest? those 2 games have nothing in
> common apart from being vector games
> i am done talking to Stiletto, he cannot find the game wich the screenshot belongs
> to, a screenshot wich i did not take but is real.
> i can describe the animation the center boss made. the inner octagon weaved and
> warped a bit, the little triangles just seemed to vibrate slowly and the cube rotated
> the eye was fixed and the triangular view cone switched from left to right but only
> sometimes, i think it was measuring or timed on brain half switching or something,
> depending on the controls.
>
> but my question was should it be released?
> it is weird and possibly dangerous.
> what if someone wants the highest score, or ignores warnings, or plays this alone?
> it would somewhat like handing out LSD shrooms don't even do this. How can it be
> controlled, for ppl to experience?
> In the end it is the rarest (game), but for a reason.
> One of the cabs was made into a positive version without sound, that could be relesed
> without problems, but it would still not be the same.

Bottom line - if you wish to contribute to the MAME's documentation project, please consider obtaining proper images of the roms on the board(s) contained in the game. You are asking questions and conjecturing about issues which are beyond anyone's control.

http://www.mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php?title=Submitting_Source_Code

Use that email mentioned there send in rom images. If you cannot provide such, you are simply spinning your wheels and wasting everyone's time.

This thread is closed

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5917