MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Can chdman be used to rip original Saturn\PSX discs to chds?
#316004 - 10/17/13 01:41 AM

I have a good many original games for Saturn and Playstation 1/2. Does chdman support ripping these directly to chd?

Edited by vram74 (10/17/13 01:43 AM)

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Can chdman be used to rip original Saturn\PSX discs to chds? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#316025 - 10/17/13 07:51 AM

> I have a good many original games for Saturn and Playstation 1/2. Does chdman support
> ripping these directly to chd?

no. you have to use some other tool to rip the discs into bin+cue, and then chdman to pass to chd.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Can chdman be used to rip original Saturn\PSX discs to chds? new [Re: etabeta]
#316027 - 10/17/13 07:59 AM

> > I have a good many original games for Saturn and Playstation 1/2. Does chdman
> support
> > ripping these directly to chd?
>
> no. you have to use some other tool to rip the discs into bin+cue, and then chdman to
> pass to chd.

... and then you don't stand a great chance of exporting them back to identical bin/cue from CHD, for that matter. However, if one-way conversion to CHD is fine, then yes.

- Stiletto

etabeta
Send PM

Re: Can chdman be used to rip original Saturn\PSX discs to chds? new [Re: Stiletto]
#316028 - 10/17/13 08:17 AM

> > > I have a good many original games for Saturn and Playstation 1/2. Does chdman
> > support
> > > ripping these directly to chd?
> >
> > no. you have to use some other tool to rip the discs into bin+cue, and then chdman
> to
> > pass to chd.
>
> ... and then you don't stand a great chance of exporting them back to identical
> bin/cue from CHD, for that matter. However, if one-way conversion to CHD is fine,
> then yes.
>
> - Stiletto

it depends. if there are no pregap offsets, you can basically go back to the original bins (cue can be fixed by hand) by possibly splitting the big .bin file output by chdman into per-track .bins (i've done it with multiple redump.org rips)

but yeah, given that the bin+cue format consists of a dozen of different variants it's quite hard to handle generically the conversion in both directions

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Can chdman be used to rip original Saturn\PSX discs to chds? new [Re: etabeta]
#316034 - 10/17/13 10:35 AM

> no. you have to use some other tool to rip the discs into bin+cue, and then chdman to
> pass to chd.

I have been thinking about adding direct ripping though, since I've been having to learn about the T10 commands used by SCSI and ATAPI.

etabeta
Send PM

Re: Can chdman be used to rip original Saturn\PSX discs to chds? new [Re: ]
#316037 - 10/17/13 12:14 PM

> > no. you have to use some other tool to rip the discs into bin+cue, and then chdman
> to
> > pass to chd.
>
> I have been thinking about adding direct ripping though, since I've been having to
> learn about the T10 commands used by SCSI and ATAPI.

that would be great! especially if it could be made working without too much pregap-postgap voodoo recipes

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Can chdman be used to rip original Saturn\PSX discs to chds? new [Re: Stiletto]
#316061 - 10/17/13 05:58 PM

> ... and then you don't stand a great chance of exporting them back to identical
> bin/cue from CHD, for that matter. However, if one-way conversion to CHD is fine,
> then yes.

That's overstating the problem; the resulting exported bin/cue should burn an identical disc and/or work fine in Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive. It's only if you demand exactly the same files in the same configuration that things go wrong because bin/cue is more of a guideline than a rule.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#316078 - 10/17/13 10:08 PM

> that would be great! especially if it could be made working without too much
> pregap-postgap voodoo recipes

It would possibly be worthwhile duplicating the EAC voodoo in something that can rip an entire disc as one file.

Although I think we'll probably end up with golden drives.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

That would be great! new [Re: ]
#316172 - 10/20/13 01:26 AM

Thank you in advance if you do

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Sorry to resurrect but.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#355097 - 06/01/16 05:43 AM

Did chdman ever gain the ability to rip directly? If not, what is the preferred method for dumping psx/Saturn games these days?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Sorry to resurrect but.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#355113 - 06/01/16 03:03 PM

> Did chdman ever gain the ability to rip directly?

AFAIK, just HDDs, not CDs.

> If not, what is the preferred
> method for dumping psx/Saturn games these days?

Until the CD dumping scene can finally agree on one holy ripping program/format, which may never happen, I think we're still going with (on Windows):
1. Burnatonce - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/burnatonce.html
2. 'Settings' -> 'Device Settings' -> 'Read Settings', ensure 'Read Raw' and 'Raw RW Subs' are selected/checked.
3. 'Read/Copy', then select 'Read To Image'
4. chdman createcd -i image.toc -o image.chd
should work fine.

- Stiletto

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Sorry to resurrect but.... new [Re: Stiletto]
#355117 - 06/01/16 03:50 PM

Thanks for the instructions

I was going to use imgburn, but this will work to. Is there a verification procedure? Rip twice, compare hashes, etc?

I don't have a huge library, but can I submit any rips I do for inclusion in MAME?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#355122 - 06/01/16 04:31 PM

> Thanks for the instructions
>
> I was going to use imgburn, but this will work to. Is there a verification procedure?
> Rip twice, compare hashes, etc?
>
> I don't have a huge library, but can I submit any rips I do for inclusion in MAME?

We generally prefer that people source CD images from major projects like TOSEC or NoIntro or whatever, as self-rips typically are not reproducible. (For instance, the large chunk of FM-Towns games being softlisted are from the Neo Kobe dumping group).

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Sorry to resurrect but.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#355129 - 06/01/16 04:57 PM

I gotcha. Shame its seems so difficult in 2016 to easily get consistent results ripping this stuff. CD/DVD drives probably produce different results, depending on brand.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#355136 - 06/01/16 05:28 PM

Not just brand. Rip the same disc 10x and you'll find bit-level differences on those 10 rips. Optical read reliability for archival purposes is a terrible scenario for us, and honestly may never get much better as the drives just keep getting cheaper.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#355138 - 06/01/16 05:36 PM

> I gotcha. Shame its seems so difficult in 2016 to easily get consistent results
> ripping this stuff. CD/DVD drives probably produce different results, depending on
> brand.

For you PlayStation discs you might try and talk to the Redump crew or consult their Dumping wiki especially since the majority of what's getting added to psx.xml is Redump based initially.

I can't remember off hand if Redump and Darkwater method for dumping Saturn discs is identical.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Sorry to resurrect but.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#355160 - 06/01/16 10:53 PM

> Not just brand. Rip the same disc 10x and you'll find bit-level differences on those
> 10 rips. Optical read reliability for archival purposes is a terrible scenario for
> us, and honestly may never get much better as the drives just keep getting cheaper.

Yeah, even Plextor's given up on fighting the race-to-the-bottom with ever-cheaper hardware. And Apple, who are otherwise quite good at avoiding that scenario, have already abandoned optical media.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3838