Pages: 1

RAGMAN
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/14
Send PM

Intel based MAME Build. 1st timer!
#320407 - 01/15/14 05:22 PM

My build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RAGMAN/saved/3rrA

Everything is going into a Data East 4-Player cabinet. I'll be running brand new Klipsch 2.1's and using a brand new ASUS 27" MX279H LED-lit monitor. It was the top rated monitor on DisplayLag.com's Input Lag Database list. This build is going in the cabinet and will only be used for my arcade.
My friend convinced me to stick with an Intel based CPU based on MAME's architecture and I beefed everything up considering how CPU intensive MAME is. The graphics card was to ensure that I wouldn't have frame rate issues with the 27" monitor. I'm sure my build is a bit overkill but I wanted to invest in a solid rig now so that I didn't have to upgrade in the not to distant future. My goal was $700 and with the rebates I meet that.
So, any thoughts? Any compatibility issues you folks see? This was my first build and it was a lot of fun!!

Thanks!

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Intel based MAME Build. 1st timer! new [Re: RAGMAN]
#320410 - 01/15/14 06:04 PM

From a quick glance it seems solid. My only suggestion would be that if you intend on overclocking to get an aftermarket cooler. If you go stock you don't have to worry about it though. It should handle most stuff in mame just fine. Things like Naomi or other high end hardware will still be slow, so be prepared for that.

Be sure to run 64bit Windows or Linux with 64bit Mame for the best performance.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

#320411 - 01/15/14 06:10 PM

Very nice, but... why don't you use the original monitor???

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Intel based MAME Build. 1st timer! new [Re: Reznor007]
#320412 - 01/15/14 06:21 PM

> My only suggestion would be that if you intend on
> overclocking to get an aftermarket cooler.

He can't, he went for the non-K model. The multiplier is locked.

S

RAGMAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

#320413 - 01/15/14 06:22 PM

Thanks for the input, gents!!

A PPP user looked over my build and tore it apart, in the best possible manner. Here's his suggested Intel MAME Build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RAGMAN/saved/3rup

I wasn't planning on doing any OC'ing and will definitely be using Windows 7 (64bit).

And my cab didn't come with the OG monitor. I simply liked the idea of using a brand new monitor and avoiding any maintenance issues with an older arcade model.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#320414 - 01/15/14 06:35 PM

> Thanks for the input, gents!!
>
> A PPP user looked over my build and tore it apart, in the best possible manner.
> Here's his suggested Intel MAME Build:
>
> http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RAGMAN/saved/3rup

No. Stick with your build. I can understand the WiFi and the idea of using a test bench instead of a conventional PC case inside an arcade cabinet, but you don't need water cooling (better install large fans, get a good airflow, drill some vents etc) and you don't need an SSD, a sound card or a USB expansion card, just use the ports on the motherboard.

And there's no video card, just the on-die GPU.

S

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Intel based MAME Build. 1st timer! new [Re: Sune]
#320415 - 01/15/14 06:41 PM

Ah, you're right, I just glanced at it and saw an IB series model number.

RAGMAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

#320416 - 01/15/14 06:42 PM

> > Thanks for the input, gents!!
> >
> > A PPP user looked over my build and tore it apart, in the best possible manner.
> > Here's his suggested Intel MAME Build:
> >
> > http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RAGMAN/saved/3rup
>
> No. Stick with your build. I can understand the WiFi and the idea of using a test
> bench instead of a conventional PC case inside an arcade cabinet, but you don't need
> water cooling (better get some big fans moving and make sure the air can get out) and
> you don't need an SSD, a sound card or a USB expansion card..
>
> And there's no video card, just the on-die GPU.
>
> S

Gotcha! So maybe add the wifi and case to my build and leave the rest alone.

With that being said, is that i3 he suggested a better purchase than my i5? He said graphically it's superior?

I read something where someone was saying that with a large monitor like my 27", a graphics card was a good idea so that frame rate issues were kept to a minimum. Would you suggest pairing a graphics card with either the i3 or the i5? Or neither?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#320417 - 01/15/14 07:44 PM

The i3 he suggested is a newer generation than the i5 you had, but it's only a dual core model compared to a quad. If you get a 4xxx series i5 it would have the same increase.

I don't know how well the newer Intel graphics run mame hlsl, which is currently the only thing that uses much gpu power in mame. The nvidia card you picked should handle it just fine.

But for general emulation purposes, more cpu power is more important than gpu

RAGMAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

#320418 - 01/15/14 07:54 PM

Gotcha! Thanks!!!!!

Here's the updated Build with the test bench case:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RAGMAN/saved/3rxt

The only issue now seems to be the compatibility of the motherboard with the case. Maybe I can find an adapter or I might have to just find another case.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#320419 - 01/15/14 08:04 PM

> The only issue now seems to be the compatibility of the motherboard with the case.
> Maybe I can find an adapter or I might have to just find another case.

Or maybe you just need to look a little closer at the specs of the test bench

Unless I'm going crazy it clearly says Micro-ATX

I have the exact same video card that you're buying. It may be a bit overkill strictly for MAME but it's good to keep possibilities open...there are a ton of PC games that are well suited for playing with arcade controls. If you like fighting games for example or 2.5D platformers like Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project..not that you'd need a GTX 660 to play that.. At least when you aren't pushing the video card it will not generate as much heat. Heat is bad. Add a couple of huge 12V fans to your build and hook them up directly to the PSU. Make sure there is a good place to pull in cool air and vents at the top so the hot air can escape. The inside of an arcade cabinet can get hot, even without a monstrous CRT in there.
Anyway, I wouldn't go with the on-die GPU, MAME with HLSL eats as many or more GPU cycles as any modern game, especially at the resolution that you'll be running at on that display.

S

RAGMAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

#320420 - 01/15/14 08:11 PM

> > The only issue now seems to be the compatibility of the motherboard with the case.
> > Maybe I can find an adapter or I might have to just find another case.
>
> Or maybe you just need to look a little closer at the specs of the test bench
>
> Unless I'm going crazy it clearly says Micro-ATX
>
> I have the exact same video card that you're buying. It's a bit overkill for MAME but
> it's good to keep possibilities open.. there are a ton of PC games that are well
> suited for playing with arcade controls. If you like fighting games for example or
> 2.5D platformers like Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project..not that you'd need a GTX 660 to
> play that..
>
> S

You're assuming that I know what "Micro ATX" even means. Haha. I wasn't lying...this is my first foray into PC territory! I'm literally one day into all of this so thank you again for all of the help!

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#320421 - 01/15/14 08:14 PM

> You're assuming that I know what "Micro ATX" even means.

You should look up these things when you're throwing money around! Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_form_factor

S

Sune
Connected
Send PM

But it wouldn't matter because.. new [Re: Reznor007]
#320422 - 01/15/14 08:19 PM

> The i3 he suggested is a newer generation than the i5 you had, but it's only a dual
> core model compared to a quad. If you get a 4xxx series i5 it would have the same
> increase.

...if he gets a 4xxx series CPU he will be mad at you once he discovers that it won't fit in his socket 1155 motherboard.

Z77 pairs with Ivy Bridge.

S

RAGMAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

#320423 - 01/15/14 08:27 PM

Thanks for the link! I had no clue as to the range of size difference, from the standard all the way down to the Pico.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: But it wouldn't matter because.. new [Re: Sune]
#320424 - 01/15/14 08:59 PM

Yeah, I forgot to mention the need for a different motherboard if he went that route. Considering it's a full new build that might be a better option. Not sure what the cost difference would be as I haven't bought any parts in a year.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#320432 - 01/16/14 05:33 AM

This is really good memory for $84.99. Probably the highest rated memory on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Personally, I'd go with a small-ish SSD as the boot drive to hold the OS and the emulators. Whatever's cheap. Then pair it with a quiet, low power, 5400RPM 1TB Western Digital "Green" drive for storing ROMs.

I'm all about the quiet and low power consumption.

I'm not a huge fan of Asrock motherboards. I know a lot of people like them though.

Personally, one of my favorite motherboards is the ASUS P8Z77-M, though it's no longer available at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131832

Definitely get a "normal" case, not a "test rig". PS components cool much better in a case because you can control the air flow through the case with the placement and orientation of the fans.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

RAGMAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Intel based MAME Build. 1st timer! new [Re: krick]
#320442 - 01/16/14 04:20 PM

> This is really good memory for $84.99. Probably the highest rated memory on Newegg.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
>
> Personally, I'd go with a small-ish SSD as the boot drive to hold the OS and the
> emulators. Whatever's cheap. Then pair it with a quiet, low power, 5400RPM 1TB
> Western Digital "Green" drive for storing ROMs.
>
> I'm all about the quiet and low power consumption.
>
> I'm not a huge fan of Asrock motherboards. I know a lot of people like them though.
>
> Personally, one of my favorite motherboards is the ASUS P8Z77-M, though it's no
> longer available at Newegg.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131832
>
> Definitely get a "normal" case, not a "test rig". PS components cool much better in a
> case because you can control the air flow through the case with the placement and
> orientation of the fans.

I swapped out my memory for the G Skillz so thank you!!!

The foundation for my build actually came from an article on building a solid PC for $600. I then started tweaking, making it MAME specific. That's where I read about that particular Asrock MB. I am certainly open to other options! I'll see if that Asus pops up on PcPartPicker.

Thanks!!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Intel based MAME Build. 1st timer! new [Re: krick]
#320858 - 01/24/14 06:19 AM

> I'm not a huge fan of Asrock motherboards. I know a lot of people like them though.
>
> Personally, one of my favorite motherboards is the ASUS P8Z77-M, though it's no
> longer available at Newegg.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131832

Asrock was pretty good in the past, haven't upgraded in a few years though so I can't comment on current quality. The few boards I still have are running strong, short of a few caps being replaced due to poor case conditions. I beat the hell out of them and they were always stable

A lot of the design blocks between Asus and Asrock are the same layouts. There is a weird spin-off thing going on with Asus, Pegatron, Asrock, and a few other production corps, but at one time Asrock boards were just condensed and/or de-populated Asus boards. I imagine they still share a lot of design between them.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4666