View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

VHSer
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/27/11
Send PM

Neo Geo CD Emulators
#321177 - 01/31/14 03:28 AM

Are there any good Neo Geo CD emulators ? I'm looking to play Metal Slug, as it looked like a lot of fun from the AVGN video. But all of the emulators that I found were from, at least, 2005. I have Windows 7 and don't know if these would work. Also, I'm having trouble finding neocd.bin that I need to make it work.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: VHSer]
#321192 - 01/31/14 10:35 AM

And on that note, did they ever finish the Samurai RPG English translation patch?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#321203 - 01/31/14 05:45 PM

> Are there any good Neo Geo CD emulators ? I'm looking to play Metal Slug, as it
> looked like a lot of fun from the AVGN video. But all of the emulators that I found
> were from, at least, 2005. I have Windows 7 and don't know if these would work. Also,
> I'm having trouble finding neocd.bin that I need to make it work.

Using MESS is the obvious choice for Neo Geo CD because we can take advantage of other features we are familiar with and fast forwarding the loading screens is a huge benefit for me

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#321207 - 01/31/14 06:24 PM

Raine supports NeoCD, and the emulator is good.
http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#321211 - 01/31/14 10:45 PM

I can't get Raine to work. I put the metal slug rom and the neogeo rom into the rom folder, but it tells me....
can't load 201-p1.p1 and then lists search path where I have the mslug.zip and neogeo.zip installed.

I have mslug.zip and neogeop.zip, as I said. But nothing I do can get the game to work. I don't understand what it wants me to do.

Should I just play it on the Neo Geo emulator that I have or are the Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD versions the same ?

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#321212 - 01/31/14 10:50 PM

> Should I just play it on the Neo Geo emulator that I have or are the Neo Geo and Neo
> Geo CD versions the same ?

You should get the correct ROMs and then decide which version you prefer. I don't know what the differences are, I guess the CD version could have enhancements like better music quality and maybe added cutscenes but takes longer to load. Most emulators have a fast-forward or unthrottle button.

S

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#321213 - 01/31/14 10:51 PM

the NeoGeo CD version requires you to find and launch the iso of the CD game, not the rom of the arcade version

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: etabeta]
#321218 - 02/01/14 12:49 AM

Yeah, I know. I have the correct game rom. I just can't get it to play because it's asking me for files I can't find. Could someone point me in the direction of the proper neo geo cd rom files ? It says that I need 201-p1.p1, but I don't know what that is.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#321219 - 02/01/14 12:57 AM

Hey man !
Simply download Metal Slug rom and play in MAME - It's the same game.
Also You can play all Slugs (1-5), just put roms in "roms" folder along with neogeo bios and enjoy Your slugs.
Download Metal Slug 6 from MAME set and play in Demul - works 100 % !

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321220 - 02/01/14 12:57 AM

I got the game to work somehow. But the video won't show up. When I start the game, I can hear the sounds in the background, but all I see is a black screen. The only time the picture comes on is when I hit escape to view the game and emulator options. Even then, it's a paused image.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#321221 - 02/01/14 12:58 AM

sorry to say but no one will give you links to ROMs or CD images. that's illegal.
... google is your friend. that's all I'm gonna say.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#321222 - 02/01/14 02:52 AM

> sorry to say but no one will give you links to ROMs or CD images. that's illegal.
> ... google is your friend. that's all I'm gonna say.

what is with all the ROM requests lately? Seems like a sudden burst.

- Stiletto

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: Stiletto]
#321225 - 02/01/14 03:54 AM

> > sorry to say but no one will give you links to ROMs or CD images. that's illegal.
> > ... google is your friend. that's all I'm gonna say.
>
> what is with all the ROM requests lately? Seems like a sudden burst.
>
> - Stiletto

They don't read the forum front page messages. LOL

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: Dullaron]
#321228 - 02/01/14 06:25 AM

> > > sorry to say but no one will give you links to ROMs or CD images. that's illegal.
> > > ... google is your friend. that's all I'm gonna say.
> >
> > what is with all the ROM requests lately? Seems like a sudden burst.
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> They don't read the forum front page messages. LOL

There's an easy way to fix that:

Have a message pop up before they post that says "If you post a ROM request, you will be automatically banned from posting in all parts of mameworld's forums for at least 6 months."

The ROM requests would soon stop when this is known.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: Master O]
#321229 - 02/01/14 07:58 AM

People often close out pop ups without even reading the information or block them out entirely.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#321231 - 02/01/14 11:33 AM

> Yeah, I know. I have the correct game rom. I just can't get it to play because it's
> asking me for files I can't find. Could someone point me in the direction of the
> proper neo geo cd rom files ? It says that I need 201-p1.p1, but I don't know what
> that is.

201-p1.p1 is the P1 ROM from the MVS (arcade) or AES (home console) version of Metal Slug. Are you trying to run the Neo-Geo CD or the Neo-Geo AES home version?

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#321236 - 02/01/14 06:30 PM

I'm trying to run the Neo Geo CD version but I can't find it anywhere. Plus, I can't figure out how to run Raine.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#321257 - 02/02/14 04:31 AM

> I'm trying to run the Neo Geo CD version but I can't find it anywhere. Plus, I can't
> figure out how to run Raine.

The only files metal slug needs to run in mess is

top-sp1.bin
front-sp1.bin
000-lo.lo
metal slug (1996)(snk)(jp-us)[!].chd

the first three in roms/neocd.zip, the chd might need to be in a roms/neocd/ directory (I don't have it so haven't tested it).

If it's complaining about any other files then you might be trying to run the neo geo cd version, but you're probably telling it to run the mvs or aes version.

As we don't know what you're doing it's impossible to help.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: ]
#321262 - 02/02/14 05:22 AM

neocd is marked system does not work and it mentions working clones are neocdzj and neocdz

If the OP has the files that smf talks about then the following works and boots the game.

mess64 neocdzj -cdrm neocd:mslug:cdrom

mess64 neocdz -cdrm neocd:mslug:cdrom

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: B2K24]
#321275 - 02/02/14 01:16 PM

> neocd is marked system does not work and it mentions working clones are neocdzj and
> neocdz
>
> If the OP has the files that smf talks about then the following works and boots the
> game.
>
> mess64 neocdzj -cdrm neocdcdrom
>
> mess64 neocdz -cdrm neocdcdrom

this ought to work, because it's in the soft list

mess neocdz mslug

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321279 - 02/02/14 04:02 PM

I'm trying to play the cd version of Metal Slug. I saw James Rolfe play it and it looked like fun.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321280 - 02/02/14 04:16 PM

I can't run MESS. I keeps asking me to check the mess.ini file in the doc directory. there isn't a mess.ini file in the doc directory.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321281 - 02/02/14 04:17 PM

I don't understand any of that.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321282 - 02/02/14 04:29 PM

I have mess, but when I try to open the neogeocd, it keeps telling me that I'm missing files. I checked. I do. I just don't get how to set this crap up.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

#321284 - 02/02/14 04:40 PM

I just can't find an emulator that works. I've tried downloading several. When I open them, I don't see anything to actually run. There are a bunch of program files, but no actual program it's self. I'm done with this. I have a version of Metal Slug, the Neo Geo version I think. I don't even care about running the Neo Geo cd version anymore. It's too much trouble. I ask for help and just get a bunch of technical talk. Oh, well.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#321287 - 02/02/14 06:10 PM

mslug cd is the same version as mslug, but with CD audio tracks. you're not missing anything other than CD quality music.

as for MESS or MAME or Raine you must setup the emulators, select where the ROM files are at least.

here are two user interfaced versions of both emulators (Raine has its own frontend accessible thru the main menu).

for MAME you can try using MAMEUI an for MESS MESSUI

here's a manual (user guide) for MESS: http://www.mess.org/mess/howto

If you are new to the emulator scene, research, research, research... just google everything and anything about the emulators and how to set them up to play games. Trust me, you WILL find guides all over the internet for guides (even at youtube).

Like I said b4, google is your friend.

Edited by CiroConsentino (02/02/14 06:15 PM)

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

B2K24
Send PM

#321290 - 02/02/14 08:49 PM

> this ought to work, because it's in the soft list
>
> mess neocdz mslug

Confirmed here that works.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#321297 - 02/02/14 11:49 PM

> I can't run MESS. I keeps asking me to check the mess.ini file in the doc directory.
> there isn't a mess.ini file in the doc directory.

Considering Dullaron, who is literally intellectually disabled, has no trouble running MAME and MESS, finding necessary files, setting up QMC2 and adjusting preferences to his liking, I think the problem is not with MAME/MESS but with you.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Look here. :) new [Re: VHSer]
#321300 - 02/03/14 01:30 AM

Make a neocdz.ini file and then put it into your ini folder.

Then do this. Paste these into that and then save it.

Code:

rompath roms;softwarelist\neocd

#
# IMAGE DEVICES
#
cdrom mslug or "metal slug (1996)(snk)(jp-us)[!].chd" without mslug folder. Make sure it in the neocd folder.

Make a softwarelist folder. Then make a neocd folder inside of that folder.

Make sure you have the neocd.zip and neocdz.zip in the roms folder.

Download 7zip and then do searching on these three sets on the internet.

Open the zip with the 7zip.

Look for CRC on each ROM.

/////////

neocd.zip

front-sp1.bin CRC CAC62307
top-sp1.bin CRC C36A47C0

/////////

neocdz.zip

000.lo.lo CRC 5A86CFF2
neocd.bin CRC DF9DE490

/////////

metal slug (1996)(snk)(jp-us)[!].chd CRC EF9B0302

Good luck getting this to work. Can't get it to work then get someone who live with you to help out.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#321675 - 02/08/14 08:14 PM

> I can't run MESS. I keeps asking me to check the mess.ini file in the doc directory.
> there isn't a mess.ini file in the doc directory.

If you aren't running MESS then you're not trying to run the Neo Geo CD version of mslug, so why did you say you were?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#321676 - 02/08/14 08:15 PM

> I ask for help and just get a bunch of technical talk. Oh, well.

You need help with technical stuff, other than technical talk what would you propose?

Cheesoid
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/20/07
Send PM

#321680 - 02/08/14 08:49 PM

> I just can't find an emulator that works. I've tried downloading several. When I open
> them, I don't see anything to actually run. There are a bunch of program files, but
> no actual program it's self. I'm done with this. I have a version of Metal Slug, the
> Neo Geo version I think. I don't even care about running the Neo Geo cd version
> anymore. It's too much trouble. I ask for help and just get a bunch of technical
> talk. Oh, well.

You could always just buy a Neo Geo CD and a copy of Metal Slug?

------
Parallel Realities

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#321683 - 02/08/14 09:09 PM

> I just can't find an emulator that works. I've tried downloading several. When I open
> them, I don't see anything to actually run. There are a bunch of program files, but
> no actual program it's self. I'm done with this. I have a version of Metal Slug, the
> Neo Geo version I think. I don't even care about running the Neo Geo cd version
> anymore. It's too much trouble. I ask for help and just get a bunch of technical
> talk. Oh, well.

Sorry you were disappointed.

You came here asking for help, and a lot of people came here and gave you the help you needed. But it sounds like your expectations were different, and you didn't get the help you "wanted."

Most emulators, especially MAME and MESS, are not "download and play." To be used correctly, they take work and pre-planning on the part of the user. They all come with DOCUMENTATION that should be read completely, both included with the download of the program, and FAQs posted on the website of the emulator. All of this information is there for a reason: it's necessary to know to understand how the emulator works.

Except this is the part that a lof of people skip. It's also the part that seems to frustrate most new people, because they don't fell they should need to spend a couple hours reading documentation to "play free games." Once you spend that time reading and understanding how everything works, and some time with figuring out how the settings work in the program, how ROMs work, etc., then you will have a much easier time, and actually enjoy your new toy.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Neo Geo CD Emulators new [Re: Cheesoid]
#321686 - 02/08/14 10:32 PM

> You could always just buy a Neo Geo CD and a copy of Metal Slug?

That is an option however, an even easier solution if you have a PS3/4 or PSP/Vita is buy it from the PSN or check out Metal Slug XX/Anthology

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#321691 - 02/09/14 01:08 AM

why not search for a step-by-step guide on how to set MESS/Raine emulators ? you WILL find them if you search at google.com
it's easy.
here's a good start: http://www.mess.org/mess/howto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 11961