MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/20/14
Send PM

Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast!
#329125 - 08/03/14 06:22 AM

Discuss

I am the original retro game dork.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: RetroFan4554]
#329126 - 08/03/14 06:43 AM

Well the first 2 things that come to mind are making it too easy to pirate games and timing it to where the N64 and PS already owned the current market and soon after the PS2 was assumed better just from when it was released. I think there were some games that launched with PS2 that had prior DC ports that actually looked superior on DC but people assumed newer system was better so shittier ports sold better on the PS2. But also a lot of the games really weren't that fun, at least to me. I mean when I play Sonic I want constant magic like the originals on the Genesis, not some horseshit exploration.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#329128 - 08/03/14 08:10 AM

> Well the first 2 things that come to mind are making it too easy to pirate games and
> timing it to where the N64 and PS already owned the current market and soon after the
> PS2 was assumed better just from when it was released. I think there were some games
> that launched with PS2 that had prior DC ports that actually looked superior on DC
> but people assumed newer system was better so shittier ports sold better on the PS2.
> But also a lot of the games really weren't that fun, at least to me. I mean when I
> play Sonic I want constant magic like the originals on the Genesis, not some
> horseshit exploration.

I think they should of relied more on their own Muscle instead of 3rd party developers, not saying they could of been evenly competitive with the PS2 but it could of lasted a few more years, PS2 launching with games like SSX really gave it a boast and the ton of developer support it got, to many titles and to many good titles for Sega to keep up with and then you had the Gamecube and Xbox come along not long after, but if they ported the whole Model 3 and Naomi series to Dreamcast and made the games exclusive and made quality ports of them, then their sales would of been a lot higher.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#329129 - 08/03/14 08:18 AM

It was quickly to the point though, I guess by 1999 to 2000, that you could download and burn to CD-R games before you could even buy them in a US store and run them on a DC that wasn't even modded. There was a short window before and after it died out that the biggest draw to buying a DC was the piracy. I think, anyway. Having to mod a console is a huge overall road block, one missing in the DC scene.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329130 - 08/03/14 08:20 AM

Yes that was another mistake they made. And yes to much crud on the system, visually they could of done much better with a lot of them, it would of been nice if they developed a racer with roads over 2 metres wide, how could they ever compete with the early PS2 racers, Need for Speed and GT3 and Burnout and others were really far ahead of Dreamcast racers. Shenmue 2 was a good effort, that was a really good game, it was worth buying a Dreamcast just for that game.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#329131 - 08/03/14 08:40 AM

I think their console release timing was part of their strategy (seemingly) up to that point, and strangely with the DC a lot of it looked even better than its successor, while prior to that it was more about destroying ass old competition (like NES vs. Genesis or SNES vs. Saturn). The graphics to me on the DC with S-Video looked way ahead of its time, maybe more so than ever before on any console. But from other people's reactions, somehow the PS2 was king of that. I still remember my friend losing his shit over the grass on the Tekken game that launched with the PS2.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#329132 - 08/03/14 08:55 AM

> Yes that was another mistake they made. And yes to much crud on the system, visually
> they could of done much better with a lot of them, it would of been nice if they
> developed a racer with roads over 2 metres wide and mountains over 8 ft high.

VMU. When I had my DC, and the VMU battery started to die - my first thought was that I'd have to replace the battery to keep my game saves/stats, etc. A battery wasn't needed actually. It's only or main advantage was portability.

Speaking of batteries, the system clock battery seemed to go bad rather quickly... And I think you have to actually open the system up, de-solder the battery and put a new one. Maybe soldering isn't involved, but it's still a hassle.

The D-pad on their controller. IMEO: the Saturn D-Pad is the Gold standard for D-Pads. Why they downgraded it - ...just another great mystery of the universe man-kind will probably never know the answer to. Or perhaps it was a patent issue. That's the only reasonable excuse. But anyway........

DC vs PS2.

To me this is a throwback to the Genesis/MD vs SNES time.

SNES came out later and had higher specs overall. PS2 also came out later.... & Like Smit said. Newer = "Better".

Oh yeah, I recall reading something about the PS2. To sum it up it was said that the PS2 was like the Sega Saturn in how games were written for it. I know at least one of the Saturn's issue was with syncing the 2 processors, but the PS2?... I'm not sure. I just recall finding it ironic that part of the Saturn's failure was due to it's 'difficult' programming language, and PS2 had the same programming language (according to what I read back whenever) -yet the PS2 was, pretty much, a success.

If I'm mistaken on that ^last part - then I apologize for my error.

IMO: the XBOX is carrying on the (console) legacy for Sega. And that turn-over/passing of the torch was with the DC. There are a couple reasons why I think this....

LEVEL-4

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329133 - 08/03/14 08:57 AM

> I think their console release timing was part of their strategy (seemingly) up to
> that point, and strangely with the DC a lot of it looked even better than its
> successor, while prior to that it was more about destroying ass old competition (like
> NES vs. Genesis or SNES vs. Saturn). The graphics to me on the DC with S-Video looked
> way ahead of its time, maybe more so than ever before on any console. But from other
> people's reactions, somehow the PS2 was king of that. I still remember my friend
> losing his shit over the grass on the Tekken game that launched with the PS2.

I wasn't that impressed with many games on it, even Sega Rally 2, it was a weak performance compared to the Model 3 version, just the standard early PS2 racers like Vrally 3 and Need for speed hot pursuit 2 and WRC, the art was much better than in Dreamcast racers and some of the other games like Ooga Booga where absolute rubbish. Shemue 2 was good, they put a effort into that.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#329134 - 08/03/14 09:15 AM

> > Yes that was another mistake they made. And yes to much crud on the system,
> visually
> > they could of done much better with a lot of them, it would of been nice if they
> > developed a racer with roads over 2 metres wide and mountains over 8 ft high.
>
>
> VMU. When I had my DC, and the VMU battery started to die - my first thought was that
> I'd have to replace the battery to keep my game saves/stats, etc. A battery wasn't
> needed actually. It's only or main advantage was portability.
>
> Speaking of batteries, the system clock battery seemed to go bad rather quickly...
> And I think you have to actually open the system up, de-solder the battery and put a
> new one. Maybe soldering isn't involved, but it's still a hassle.
>
> The D-pad on their controller. IMEO: the Saturn D-Pad is the Gold standard for
> D-Pads. Why they downgraded it - ...just another great mystery of the universe
> man-kind will probably never know the answer to. Or perhaps it was a patent issue.
> That's the only reasonable excuse. But anyway........
>
> DC vs PS2.
>
> To me this is a throwback to the Genesis/MD vs SNES time.
>
> SNES came out later and had higher specs overall. PS2 also came out later.... & Like
> Smit said. Newer = "Better".
>
> Oh yeah, I recall reading something about the PS2. To sum it up it was said that the
> PS2 was like the Sega Saturn in how games were written for it. I know at least one of
> the Saturn's issue was with syncing the 2 processors, but the PS2?... I'm not sure. I
> just recall finding it ironic that part of the Saturn's failure was due to it's
> 'difficult' programming language, and PS2 had the same programming language
> (according to what I read back whenever) -yet the PS2 was, pretty much, a success.
>
> If I'm mistaken on that ^last part - then I apologize for my error.
>
>
> IMO: the XBOX is carrying on the (console) legacy for Sega. And that
> turn-over/passing of the torch was with the DC. There are a couple reasons why I
> think this....

The art in PS2 was always much better, occasionally they produced a quality game for Dreamcast but Dreamcast was for the most part sh.t mate, admit it.

Early PS2 Racer

Dreamcast

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#329135 - 08/03/14 09:15 AM

> But also a lot of the games really weren't that fun, at least to me. I mean when I
> play Sonic I want constant magic like the originals on the Genesis, not some
> horseshit exploration.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#329137 - 08/03/14 09:32 AM

> The art in PS2 was much better, Dreamcast was for the most part sh.t mate, admit it.
>
>
> Early PS2 Racer
>
>
> Dreamcast Racer

Art... Graphics? Yeah, I agree, the PS2 was better. But I'd hardly call the DC "sh_t". Although, I should probably mention that I never owned a PS2, so I can't give a first-hand account on its superiority.

Quote:

SNES came out later and had higher specs overall. PS2 also came out later.... & Like Smit said. Newer = "Better".

Perhaps I shouldn't've used quotations marks there. I just meant that it was a popular opinion - regardless of the hardware specs and game design, etc. ...to keep things in context.

LEVEL-4

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: krick]
#329139 - 08/03/14 09:34 AM

Terrible video, I couldn't make it 4min in. I'd wipe my dirty asshole with both of their heads if I came remotely close to running out of t-pape. Any moron could make silly-sense of a videogame storyline pretty much no matter what. They are seriously to waste my time with THAT. I would like to see their list of superior platformers from the era. Actually I would just like to see them just disappear.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#329141 - 08/03/14 09:39 AM

You do realize, and I actually don't even remember many racers on the DC to compare to anything, BUT, you do realize your DC pic there is not a capture and not showing its full resolution? So it's completely useless for any argument? For an extreme example of what you've done, what if I took a webcam pic of the latest arcade racer then downscaled the resolution to 200 pixels wide and posted it? Would that be a good representation of it?

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329143 - 08/03/14 09:45 AM

> You do realize, and I actually don't even remember many racers on the DC to compare
> to anything, BUT, you do realize your DC pic there is not a capture and not showing
> its full resolution? So it's completely useless for any argument? For an extreme
> example of what you've done, what if I took a webcam pic of the latest arcade racer
> then downscaled the resolution to 200 pixels wide and posted it? Would that be a good
> representation of it?

It was not in the same league as PS2, it took 2 of its boards and extra ram to do VF4, PS2 handled VF4 easily by itself.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#329144 - 08/03/14 09:49 AM

I've never looked into VF4 so can't comment on that. I'm sure some of the hardware specs were superior on PS2 yes.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329145 - 08/03/14 09:54 AM

> I've never looked into VF4 so can't comment on that. I'm sure some of the hardware
> specs were superior on PS2 yes.

It couldn't compete with PS2 visually but it could of processed better quality than Model 3 if the game developers chose to, there is nothing on it with the art like in Daytona 2 and Spike Out and Scud Race, the art was very basic compared to Model 3 with the exception of a few platform games like Shenmue 2 which had debatable better art than that seen in Model 3 games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#329146 - 08/03/14 09:59 AM

Depends on the type of games I guess. Fighters that were made for Naomi could not get a better home port than on a home console that was the same hardware. Surely Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and other fighters of that era were better on DC than PS2.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#329151 - 08/03/14 11:37 AM

> Depends on the type of games I guess. Fighters that were made for Naomi could not get
> a better home port than on a home console that was the same hardware. Surely Marvel
> Vs. Capcom 2 and other fighters of that era were better on DC than PS2.

Dreamcast had great ports of all the Naomi and NeoGeo fighters - easily better than PS2 ports. Also Shenmue - that needs not explanation. And awesome quirky stuff like Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio.

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

#329153 - 08/03/14 02:11 PM

Wasn't it supposed to be difficult to develop for, or something? That never helps a system's success.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#329154 - 08/03/14 02:25 PM

> Early PS2 Racer
>
>
> Dreamcast

Ban-evading Bart Simo,

You *do* know that in real life rally races are often on narrow one-lane roads? Whereas the PS2 shot shows a normal road race on normal 2-lane roads. That's not an artistic choice, that's reality.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#329155 - 08/03/14 02:30 PM

> And awesome quirky stuff like
> Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio.

Which is the root of the problem. Sega gave gamers what the loud gamer voices on the Internet claimed to want: quirky, non-cookie-cutter games, often with big slices of "OMG Japan" fully intact. Even some of the third-party stuff was off the beaten path. But what gamer-nerds on the Internet want isn't what the mass audience wants, so none of those great games sold very well. Whereas Sony led with Madden and FIFA and Tekken Tag Tournament and the rest was history.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: big10p]
#329156 - 08/03/14 02:40 PM

> Wasn't it supposed to be difficult to develop for, or something? That never helps a
> system's success.

Nope. They went to a lot of effort to make it feel very similar to the then-popular standard of developing for 3dfx GLIDE. By contrast, PS2 used an architecture very similar to Sega's own Model 2 board which required writing DSP assembly to draw a single triangle on the screen. Developers complained bitterly, and a lot went with Criterion's Renderware engine to avoid the issue (most famously GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas), but even niche PS2 titles sold well given how huge the hardware installed base was.

Specs was kind of a wash. PS2 could do more geometery detail and had a little more CPU grunt, Dreamcast could do more texture detail and SH-series code compiles to about 2/3rds the size of MIPS so you had more RAM available. But PS2 had more RAM, period.

If it was hard to develop for, it wouldn't have been wildly popular in arcades. There's a *lot* of Naomi (and later Atomiswave) titles.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#329158 - 08/03/14 04:03 PM

> > Wasn't it supposed to be difficult to develop for, or something? That never helps a
> > system's success.
>
> Nope. They went to a lot of effort to make it feel very similar to the then-popular
> standard of developing for 3dfx GLIDE. By contrast, PS2 used an architecture very
> similar to Sega's own Model 2 board which required writing DSP assembly to draw a
> single triangle on the screen. Developers complained bitterly, and a lot went with
> Criterion's Renderware engine to avoid the issue (most famously GTA 3/Vice City/San
> Andreas), but even niche PS2 titles sold well given how huge the hardware installed
> base was.
>
> Specs was kind of a wash. PS2 could do more geometery detail and had a little more
> CPU grunt, Dreamcast could do more texture detail and SH-series code compiles to
> about 2/3rds the size of MIPS so you had more RAM available. But PS2 had more RAM,
> period.
>
> If it was hard to develop for, it wouldn't have been wildly popular in arcades.
> There's a *lot* of Naomi (and later Atomiswave) titles.

Did we ever see the best of the Dreamcast, Shenmue 2 was pretty but still looked outdated compared to Xbox the PS2 titles. I think the Dreamcast hardware was just outdated by the PS2 and Xbox to put it simply, as you would expect, as they were released after. The Naomi 2 games didn't look outdated but they used 2 boards, Initial D stage 3 everything looked fantastic except for the rocks, something had to give i guess to make the games not look outdated to those without a keen eye.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#329166 - 08/03/14 08:01 PM

> Discuss

I see three reasons:

1. Money
For every million Sega would put to promote/develop/support the DC, Sony would put 10 for the PS2.

2. Timing
As others have said in this thread, the perception is mostly "newer = better". DC came first, promoted (with reason) as so much superior to any other console of the previous generation. Sony stepped second, so they saw what the DC was doing and could work on that. So when Sony said "hey we'll launch this thing called PS2 in XX months", most potential buyers of the DC, informed or uninformed about PS2 features, simply thought they should wait a bit and spend their money on the new black box.

3. Other features
When the PS2 was announced, it wasn't just promoted as "the hottest console this side of Rio Rojo". It was also promoted as a "multimedia center" with DVD support. Back then, it was the real boom of DVD sales, so suddenly the PS2 had to some people two giant advantages: first, you could use your console for watching movies, which kind of "justified" even more purchasing a new console (and it wasn't exactly "inexpensive"). And second, any game in DVD would (probably) look, sound and feel much better than its CD or GDROM counterpart.

So you can argue about controller feels and dos, memory, brute polygon output, ease of programming or whatever, but often things are much simpler. Money, money and money.

bigbluefe
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/14
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: R. Belmont]
#329173 - 08/04/14 12:31 AM

> > And awesome quirky stuff like
> > Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio.
>
> Which is the root of the problem. Sega gave gamers what the loud gamer voices on the
> Internet claimed to want: quirky, non-cookie-cutter games, often with big slices of
> "OMG Japan" fully intact. Even some of the third-party stuff was off the beaten path.
> But what gamer-nerds on the Internet want isn't what the mass audience wants, so none
> of those great games sold very well. Whereas Sony led with Madden and FIFA and Tekken
> Tag Tournament and the rest was history.

I don't know. The Dreamcast library seemed pretty cookie cutter to me. Launched with platformers, racing games, and fighting games. All pretty standard stuff.

I think it was really more a matter of most Dreamcast games being ports of shallow arcade games that were designed to be played for about 10 minutes. I mean, 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker for $50? Are you kidding? There's like 5 minutes of game there.

There simply weren't that many meaty home games made for the Dreamcast. There was Shenmue, Phantasy Star, and a couple of other meatier games, but it was just overwhelmingly a shallow Naomi port dumping ground.

It's not a coincidence that the traditional arcade industry and the Dreamcast shat out at the same time. People wanted Devil May Cry and Grand Theft Auto 3--not cheap Naomi arcade game ports. The time had passed for that kind of stuff, and they were still doing the same old thing.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#329175 - 08/04/14 02:46 AM

Sony had 3 things going for them:
1.The PS2 could play basically the entire PS1 catalog (which meant a large library available at launch and an attractive upgrade option for existing PS1 owners)
2.The PS2 could play DVDs (which meant you didn't need a separate DVD player)
and 3.Previous Sega failures (Sega CD, 32x, Saturn) made it much harder for Sega to convince 3rd party developers to support the Dreamcast.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#329176 - 08/04/14 03:23 AM

Also, Sega lost a lot of support from different game developers. When Sega released the Saturn, they released it a lot earlier than originally scheduled, so they could compete with the PSX. They announced @ E3 that it was being released right away. Almost 6 months earlier than originally scheduled. This forced a lot of the game mfg's to either rush to get there launch games finished much sooner, or be postponed with the launch of the new system. Also, stores were ill-prepared to have the shelf space that was originally arranged for the Sega Saturn. This caused many of the game mfg's to cancel there production of video games for Sega. And some stores outright refused to sale the Saturn in there stores, as originally planned. This drastically effected the sales of the game system and thus why it didn't survive for vey long. Once Sega released the Dreamcast, many of the game mfg's still held there animosity towards Sega. This plagued Sega from releasing potentially great games from different developers, and a lot of games (esp sports) had to be developed by Sega themselves. Once Sony announced the PS2 & Microsoft was releasing the Xbox, they realized they wouldn't be able to compete with the large popular games the competitors would release, and ultimately announced the Dreamcast's cancellation, knowing sales would drop drastically

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: Pi]
#329184 - 08/04/14 04:52 AM

> > Discuss
>
> I see three reasons:
>
> 1. Money
> For every million Sega would put to promote/develop/support the DC, Sony would put 10
> for the PS2.
>
> 2. Timing
> As others have said in this thread, the perception is mostly "newer = better". DC
> came first, promoted (with reason) as so much superior to any other console of the
> previous generation. Sony stepped second, so they saw what the DC was doing and could
> work on that. So when Sony said "hey we'll launch this thing called PS2 in XX
> months", most potential buyers of the DC, informed or uninformed about PS2 features,
> simply thought they should wait a bit and spend their money on the new black box.
>
> 3. Other features
> When the PS2 was announced, it wasn't just promoted as "the hottest console this side
> of Rio Rojo". It was also promoted as a "multimedia center" with DVD support. Back
> then, it was the real boom of DVD sales, so suddenly the PS2 had to some people two
> giant advantages: first, you could use your console for watching movies, which kind
> of "justified" even more purchasing a new console (and it wasn't exactly
> "inexpensive"). And second, any game in DVD would (probably) look, sound and feel
> much better than its CD or GDROM counterpart.
>
> So you can argue about controller feels and dos, memory, brute polygon output, ease
> of programming or whatever, but often things are much simpler. Money, money and
> money.

Yeah it could play DVD movies. And had every developer making games for it, there was a lot more games been produced for it than there was for the other systems, there was about 1000 released for Xbox, and close to 4000 for PS2, about 650 for the GameCube and about 250 for Dreamcast.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: bigbluefe]
#329230 - 08/04/14 05:08 PM

> I don't know. The Dreamcast library seemed pretty cookie cutter to me. Launched with
> platformers, racing games, and fighting games. All pretty standard stuff.

Disagree. There was a pretty deep vein of unusual on the Dreamcast, even in the west. (Where's the PS2 equivalent of Jet Grind Radio? Or Shenmue?) In Japan it naturally got way crazier, culminating with SeGaGaGa (which someone needs to translate-patch, dammit).

> I think it was really more a matter of most Dreamcast games being ports of shallow
> arcade games that were designed to be played for about 10 minutes. I mean, 18
> Wheeler: American Pro Trucker for $50? Are you kidding? There's like 5 minutes of
> game there.

That I'll grant you as the root of Sega's problems, going back to the 32X and Saturn: in the 8 and (to a lesser extent) 16 bit eras you could do very well on arcade ports. After that you had to at least bundle multiple games together, and they'd better be either really good ports or emulated. Or download-only for $5 or $10, which wasn't an option until PS3/360/Wii.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Where did SEGA go wrong with the Dreamcast! new [Re: big10p]
#329283 - 08/05/14 08:01 AM

> Wasn't it supposed to be difficult to develop for, or something? That never helps a
> system's success.

Same with the Nintendo 64. We seen it's version of Cruis'n exotica fall short of the superior coin-op version, doing high-res-texture-replacing in the Project 64 emulator is a nightmare, many ugly textures, a lot of work, almost every texture in the games can do with a replacement, it could of been really good for its time if they changed a few things before releasing it, maybe could of produced comparable animation to the early model 3 games even.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329436 - 08/06/14 11:00 PM

It is amazing how close the PC version of Sega Rally 2 is to the Model 3, identical pretty much except for the cars, Model 3 ones better, and some background details in the 1st track are missing. Maybe cause i got a better video card now, i couldn't remember the mountain stage textures been that clear the last time i played it about 7 years ago, the mountains look as good as they look in the Model 3 version in Supermodel now.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329457 - 08/07/14 08:17 AM

> It is amazing how close the PC version of Sega Rally 2 is to the Model 3, identical
> pretty much except for the cars, Model 3 ones better, and some background details in
> the 1st track are missing. Maybe cause i got a better video card now, i couldn't
> remember the mountain stage textures been that clear the last time i played it about
> 7 years ago, the mountains look as good as they look in the Model 3 version in
> Supermodel now.

I am almost certain that the Dreamcast and PC version is the same build, has the same tracks and has the 10 year championship and would look identical to the PC with a extra 30fps and higher texture res. If so then the software was pretty good quality, i think it was released on PC 1st, was built for PC, if so then that could explain why the Dreamcast version fell fairly short of the Model 3 version as the gaming magazines reviews pointed out.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5515