View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Arcade games with RPG elements
#330324 - 08/22/14 07:52 AM

So are there any good arcade games out there that have RPG elements? I'm talking in terms of the basic things you'd find in home console 'JRPG' games, like gaining exp, leveling up, buying items from shops, getting better weapons or armor, etc. The only one that comes to mind is Capcom's D&D series. I covers pretty much all the basics mentioned above. Are there any others?

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a top down action RPG Zelda-ish clone but for the arcades?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Arcade games with RPG elements new [Re: Outrun2006]
#330330 - 08/22/14 08:30 AM

> Wouldn't it be cool if there was a top down action RPG Zelda-ish clone but for the
> arcades?

Not really - an arcade game needs to be over in under an hour for a dollar. That's kind of the opposite to a good RPG that requires lots of game content to make it interesting.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade games with RPG elements new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#330360 - 08/22/14 05:51 PM

> > Wouldn't it be cool if there was a top down action RPG Zelda-ish clone but for the
> > arcades?
>
> Not really - an arcade game needs to be over in under an hour for a dollar. That's
> kind of the opposite to a good RPG that requires lots of game content to make it
> interesting.

>>>>>>>>

Yeah you're probably right. Oh well just thought it'd be somewhat interesting anyway.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#330363 - 08/22/14 05:56 PM

> So are there any good arcade games out there that have RPG elements? I'm talking in
> terms of the basic things you'd find in home console 'JRPG' games, like gaining exp,
> leveling up, buying items from shops, getting better weapons or armor, etc. The only
> one that comes to mind is Capcom's D&D series. I covers pretty much all the basics
> mentioned above. Are there any others?
>
> Wouldn't it be cool if there was a top down action RPG Zelda-ish clone but for the
> arcades?

1st thing that comes to my mind is Taito's Cadash.

LEVEL-4

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: Arcade games with RPG elements new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#330366 - 08/22/14 06:13 PM

One thing that comes to mind is a game that is kinda of Zelda like called Legend of Valkyrie [Valkyrie no Densetsu] (I think that is right name). It is in Japanese, but people say you don't need to read the text in order to enjoy the game.

If you like the D&D games there is always Warrior Blade and Light Bringer.

EDIT: I was confusing Warrior Blade with Dungeon Magic. Dungeon Magic and Light Bringer are clones of each other.

Edited by lamprey (08/22/14 06:26 PM)

waitretrace3DA
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/28/14
Send PM

Re: Arcade games with RPG elements new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#330367 - 08/22/14 06:14 PM

> > So are there any good arcade games out there that have RPG elements? I'm talking in
> > terms of the basic things you'd find in home console 'JRPG' games, like gaining
> exp,
> > leveling up, buying items from shops, getting better weapons or armor, etc. The
> only
> > one that comes to mind is Capcom's D&D series. I covers pretty much all the basics
> > mentioned above. Are there any others?
> >
> > Wouldn't it be cool if there was a top down action RPG Zelda-ish clone but for the
> > arcades?
>
>
> 1st thing that comes to my mind is Taito's Cadash.

same here

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

#330373 - 08/22/14 06:50 PM

There is also The King of Dragons. Dark Seal and Wizard Fire seems like a pretty cool games too, but they might be more Gauntlet-like than RPG like.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#330374 - 08/22/14 06:53 PM

> So are there any good arcade games out there that have RPG elements? I'm talking in
> terms of the basic things you'd find in home console 'JRPG' games, like gaining exp,
> leveling up, buying items from shops, getting better weapons or armor, etc. The only
> one that comes to mind is Capcom's D&D series. I covers pretty much all the basics
> mentioned above. Are there any others?
>
> arcades?

I can think of some, but they are not beat'em ups. What Vas Crabb says it's not true at all, because there were games you need more coins and/or replays in order to level up a character.

We have for example two fighting games, Red Earth and Soul Calibur II. Both feature an experience system in order to gain new abilities and in the case of Soul Calibur II, earn money to buy weapons.

A rather primitive one was the Double Dragon III USA version with its coin based system.

There is another undumped game who shares the same hardware as Soul Calibur II (Namco System 246), The Idolmaster. A game where you take the role of an idol producer and you choose a character in order to level her abilities and progress her story in the game.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade games with RPG elements new [Re: BIOS-D]
#330379 - 08/22/14 07:22 PM

How about Magician Lord and Cross Swords?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#330395 - 08/22/14 10:37 PM

As Vas says, "arcade game" and "RPG" are pretty nearly opposites, but Konami's Gaiapolis has some definite RPG features, even though it's more of a beat-em-up.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#330421 - 08/23/14 04:14 AM

> How about Magician Lord and Cross Swords?

Since you mentioned Cross Swords... I was almost going to say Black-Tiger. You do gain bars in your health meter, but also gain money ("Zenny Coins") to buy weapon upgrades.

But, IMO, that's not really RPG'ish. ....You know what I mean?

LEVEL-4

Malmanian
Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: スウェーデン
Send PM

#330448 - 08/23/14 12:39 PM

”Valkyrie No Densetsu” (valkyrie.zip), Released in 1989 (Japan only) on the NAMCO System2 Arcade hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPS4Gr5fs-g

You can sometimes choose different paths (but still limited since this is an arcade game and time=money), expand your heart & magic containers, Talk to villagers, buy items with your collected coins, enter different dungeons and defeat bosses etc. very much like Zelda1 (which really is an Action adventure game and not an RPG). As mentioned by others CADASH is the closest you’ll come to an action RPG game on the arcades, very similar to NES-ZELDA2.

----
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” --Albert Einstein

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Arcade games with RPG elements new [Re: lamprey]
#330466 - 08/23/14 07:26 PM

Cadash, King of Dragons, Valkyrie No Densetsu, Dark Seal and Wizard Fire are very good. I was born in 1973 and surprised that I've never ran into these games in my many trips to zillions of arcades over the years.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3759