MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Spekkio
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/05
Send PM

can someone explain to this somewhat layman what exactly happened to make Raiden II finally playable?
#331878 - 09/16/14 11:00 PM

Pretty much that. What was understood that wasn't before?

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Spekkio]
#331880 - 09/16/14 11:02 PM

> Pretty much that. What was understood that wasn't before?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Impossible (nt) new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#331881 - 09/16/14 11:19 PM

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#331883 - 09/16/14 11:37 PM

> > Pretty much that. What was understood that wasn't before?

Disclaimer: This is not a request for the game to be emulated immediately.

What else needs to be done for Zero Team to be promoted to working status, then?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Master O]
#331884 - 09/16/14 11:51 PM

> Disclaimer: This is not a request for the game to be emulated immediately.
>
> What else needs to be done for Zero Team to be promoted to working status, then?

Hitbox for starters

Arcade Addict

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

"Promoted" lol new [Re: Master O]
#331885 - 09/16/14 11:58 PM

> > > Pretty much that. What was understood that wasn't before?
>
>
> What else needs to be done for Zero Team to be promoted to working status, then?

Like an address to send a box of cigarettes.

LEVEL-4

Spekkio
MAME Fan
Send PM

Gee, thanks new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#331891 - 09/17/14 01:22 AM

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#331900 - 09/17/14 03:14 AM

It happens all the time. People nag the devs and they get annoyed & stop working on the game. Then they might get interested enough later to work on it again. Perfect example of this was when the devs worked on the CPS3 games. They were constantly being nagged & getting emails where people were harassing them to get it working perfectly so they could set up the games in there game cabinets. The devs finally got so sick of how rude and pushy people had gotten, that they stopped any further work on it. Luckily they have very minor bugs now. The best way to get a game working in MAME is to let the devs work at there own pace.

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#331942 - 09/17/14 03:34 PM

> > > Pretty much that. What was understood that wasn't before?
>
>

If we knew how to fix it it'd be working.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: can someone explain to this somewhat layman what exactly happened to make Raiden II finally playable? new [Re: Spekkio]
#331943 - 09/17/14 03:35 PM

> Pretty much that. What was understood that wasn't before?

I posted a pretty complete explanation about a week ago on this very forum.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: can someone explain to this somewhat layman what exactly happened to make Raiden II finally playable? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#331961 - 09/17/14 08:14 PM

> I posted a pretty complete explanation about a week ago on this very forum.

Or, in other terms, why do you want to know if you don't want a technical description?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: R. Belmont]
#331966 - 09/17/14 08:42 PM

> > > > Pretty much that. What was understood that wasn't before?
> >
> > Disclaimer: This is not a request for the game to be emulated immediately.
> >
> > What else needs to be done for Zero Team to be promoted to working status, then?
>
> If we knew how to fix it it'd be working.

On an unrelated note, how about Tobe! Polystars, then? I know Phil was gonna work on it at some point, but since it's also a Konami game, does that mean you'll work on it, too?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#332009 - 09/18/14 04:49 PM

> On an unrelated note, how about Tobe! Polystars, then? I know Phil was gonna work on
> it at some point, but since it's also a Konami game, does that mean you'll work on
> it, too?

It's one of my top 10 unemulated games, possibly even top 5. But it's not really my kind of hardware to work on.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: R. Belmont]
#332019 - 09/18/14 08:09 PM

> > On an unrelated note, how about Tobe! Polystars, then? I know Phil was gonna work
> on
> > it at some point, but since it's also a Konami game, does that mean you'll work on
> > it, too?
>
> It's one of my top 10 unemulated games, possibly even top 5. But it's not really my
> kind of hardware to work on.

Tobe! Polystars looks like a fun game to play, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

"Note to Noobs:

C.D.~"

Spekkio
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: can someone explain to this somewhat layman what exactly happened to make Raiden II finally playable? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#332026 - 09/18/14 09:04 PM

>
> I posted a pretty complete explanation about a week ago on this very forum.

I'm sorry, I must have missed it. I only found out about all this the day before I started this thread. I'll search your name for it.

Spekkio
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: can someone explain to this somewhat layman what exactly happened to make Raiden II finally playable? new [Re: Spekkio]
#332029 - 09/18/14 09:11 PM

So for anyone else who might have looked at this thread hoping to find an explanation, here it is:

"Seibu decided to make the predecessor to bullet hell shmups but their pitiful V30 CPU couldn't handle it, so they made a chip to do all the trig calculations and hitbox detection and sprite list DMA. It also obfuscates the rest of the hardware registers for fun. (Contrast with the rest of the game manufacturing world, who simply dropped in fast 68000s or in the case of Gradius III 2 of them).

As I understand it the missing bullet sprites we had for the last year or so was essentially a typo in the previous attempts to fix the game rather than a protection function that had eluded people. It often helps to get away from code you're stuck on and come back having forgotten your assumptions."

Kinda nuts that last part about the bullet sprites, now I understand what OG meant before.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

#332031 - 09/18/14 10:27 PM

> So for anyone else who might have looked at this thread hoping to find an
> explanation, here it is:
>
> "Seibu decided to make the predecessor to bullet hell shmups but their pitiful V30
> CPU couldn't handle it, so they made a chip to do all the trig calculations and
> hitbox detection and sprite list DMA. It also obfuscates the rest of the hardware
> registers for fun. (Contrast with the rest of the game manufacturing world, who
> simply dropped in fast 68000s or in the case of Gradius III 2 of them).
>
> As I understand it the missing bullet sprites we had for the last year or so was
> essentially a typo in the previous attempts to fix the game rather than a protection
> function that had eluded people.
It often helps to get away from code you're stuck on
> and come back having forgotten your assumptions."
>
> Kinda nuts that last part about the bullet sprites, now I understand what OG meant
> before.

That's hilarious!

"Note to Noobs:

C.D.~"

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

#332065 - 09/19/14 07:15 PM

> On an unrelated note, how about Tobe! Polystars, then? I know Phil was gonna work on
> it at some point, but since it's also a Konami game, does that mean you'll work on
> it, too?

As of this week it's working reasonably well in my outdated MAME WIP build, so long as you overlook that it's running at a fraction of real-time, there's no CD audio and ignore the random freezes. Same goes for Heat of Eleven '98 and Evil Night.

I would still be working on M2 now if I wasn't about to move countries and weren't in the middle of a property sale from hell Watch this space I guess.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Phil Bennett]
#332067 - 09/19/14 07:24 PM

> > On an unrelated note, how about Tobe! Polystars, then? I know Phil was gonna work
> on
> > it at some point, but since it's also a Konami game, does that mean you'll work on
> > it, too?
>
> As of this week it's working reasonably well in my outdated MAME WIP build, so long
> as you overlook that it's running at a fraction of real-time, there's no CD audio and
> ignore the random freezes.
Same goes for Heat of Eleven '98 and Evil Night.
>
> I would still be working on M2 now if I wasn't about to move countries and weren't in
> the middle of a property sale from hell Watch this space I guess.

Laugh Out Loud!

Well, at least now I know what the deal is with Polystars. Hopefully, you can get that property sale sorted out and move on with your life.

Also, Phil, think of it this way: You've emulated Polystars in Bullet Time, so it's not all for naught. [/joke]

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Phil Bennett]
#332071 - 09/19/14 09:58 PM

> weren't in the middle of a property sale from hell

Selling is always hell, renting it out and starting again from scratch is better if you can afford it.

Edited by smf (09/19/14 10:00 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: ]
#332111 - 09/20/14 09:18 PM

> > weren't in the middle of a property sale from hell
>
> Selling is always hell, renting it out and starting again from scratch is better if
> you can afford it.

Not only that, but selling, at least in the US, is like taking an acid bath. Much more money in renting, even with a company handling property management. In fact, rentals are up.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Yeah, Paratech / greybeard left this board for good. -nt- new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#332126 - 09/21/14 09:16 AM

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Traso]
#332128 - 09/21/14 10:13 AM

> Not only that, but selling, at least in the US, is like taking an acid bath. Much
> more money in renting, even with a company handling property management. In fact,
> rentals are up.

The rental market in the UK is pretty good right now too.

However mortgage rates are low and will increase in the next few years, so that will affect short/medium term profitability.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#332134 - 09/21/14 04:30 PM

> It happens all the time. People nag the devs and they get annoyed & stop working on
> the game. Then they might get interested enough later to work on it again. Perfect
> example of this was when the devs worked on the CPS3 games. They were constantly
> being nagged & getting emails where people were harassing them to get it working
> perfectly so they could set up the games in there game cabinets. The devs finally got
> so sick of how rude and pushy people had gotten, that they stopped any further work
> on it. Luckily they have very minor bugs now. The best way to get a game working in
> MAME is to let the devs work at there own pace.

Agreed.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: People stopped being annoying for long enough -nt- new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#332140 - 09/21/14 08:57 PM

> The best way to get a game working in MAME is to let the devs work at there own pace.

Or just be intelligent in asking the question: ask who might be working on it, and what things are known, unknown, etc. If if you don't want to know the technical information, the response given will likely give a decent idea of how soon and all under normal circumstances.

Sometimes asking those who tinker about their tinkering can sometimes cause them to see new things.

As is obvious from this recent success, 'soon' is quite variable.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2856