Pages: 1

Sonic
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/10/09
Send PM

End of arcade development ?
#332807 - 10/05/14 06:29 PM

Hi All,

I have watched some video reports on the Tokyo Game Show of this year.
I can't see any new arcade machines or new arcade games on those even on the booth of the big developpers, Sega, Namco-Bandai, Capcom...
At the opposite, there are many many new games for consoles and smartphone.

Does it means this is the end of good old days of arcade ?
Anyone was in Tokyo in september to comfirm ?

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: Sonic]
#332810 - 10/05/14 07:13 PM

I would not be terribly surprised. I am sure the iphone/android app market have turned that industry inside out as they are around the same impulse price point and accomplish about the same thing.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#332814 - 10/05/14 08:22 PM

For the last decade or so they were mainly making redemption machines anyway.

At least Stern is still making pinball machines. It's a gameplay experience that isn't easily duplicated on phones and consoles.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#332817 - 10/05/14 08:57 PM

>
> Does it means this is the end of good old days of arcade ?

Good old days of arcade? That ended 1n 1983-84 my friend.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#332836 - 10/06/14 04:30 AM

> I can't see any new arcade machines or new arcade games

In the "old days", arcade machines tended to have better graphics, sound, and controllers than home computers, consoles, etc. These days are pretty well gone now. One of the only things that arcades can really still offer now, which you cannot get at home, is the atmosphere of going into a large room full of people and machines. But, if the crowds of players aren't there, arcades can be pretty lonely / sad places.

Until the arcades bring something you cannot get at home, I can't see them winning back the crowds of people. It's catch-22. No people => no investment in new games. No investment in new games => no new technologies or experiences that you cannot get at home => no people.

Moose

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: sirscotty]
#332843 - 10/06/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

Good old days of arcade? That ended 1n 1983-84 my friend.

No!... I'm in denial and refuse to accept that. I am not listening to you, la la la la la la... I am not listening to you!

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: Big Karnak]
#332870 - 10/06/14 10:18 PM

We still had most of the arcades going here through the early 90s.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: lharms]
#332885 - 10/07/14 12:04 PM

> I would not be terribly surprised. I am sure the iphone/android app market have
> turned that industry inside out as they are around the same impulse price point and
> accomplish about the same thing.
Which is kinda ironic since I have seen a number of full-size arcade machines that contain basically ports of iPhone titles (Fruit Ninja comes to mind, some platform jumping game also).

The other thing I see a lot of in arcades around here are games that use non-standard input devices like steering wheels and light guns and the like. You can get steering wheels at home but getting a setup that can re-create the feel of an arcade racer or flight sim or whatever with the motion seats and force feedback that such games are known for.
Not to mention that even a basic steering wheel isn't exactly affordable for many home gamers but spending a few bucks in a Daytona USA or Maximum Tune or whatever is.

Edited by jonwil (10/07/14 12:14 PM)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: jonwil]
#332888 - 10/07/14 01:49 PM

I can't remember when a new "platform fighter scrolling" arcade game was released? I'm talking about a type of game like Wardner and Marvel Land. I don't think arcade games like that have been released in many, many years. (I'm not talking about beatem-up type of games like The Simpsons or Knights of Valour 3. Though, those have been scarce as well. Now days, they only release driving games, gun shooters, and a few shmups it seems.)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: Traso]
#332894 - 10/07/14 05:08 PM

> We still had most of the arcades going here through the early 90s.

Yeah. My lawn is as well defended as anyone's here but there were good games coming out in arcades as late as 2000 (DDR and the other Bemani stuff).

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#332897 - 10/07/14 06:14 PM

>> We still had most of the arcades going here through the early 90s.

>My lawn is as well defended as anyone's here but there were good games coming out in
>arcades as late as 2000 (DDR and the other Bemani stuff).

Konami Drum Mania. Probably one of the remaining modern era games that I would still spend money, but these days it seems most places no longer have those Konami games. I believe Camelot got rid of almost all the Konami games with exception of 1 remaining DDR game last time I was there in fall 2011.

While visiting Colorado a couple months ago, a few places I would go to while there including a couple of Dave and Busters locations used to have a fair number of Konami games, but even Drum Mania seems to be a far distant memory to a couple of employees that worked there when I was asking them if they still had Drum Mania cabs around at any DandB locations in Colorado.

If only that can be working in MAME later, that would be great.

--
11/19/12 - Camelot's arcade just isn't what it used to be compared to 1980s or even just a few years ago (photo was from soCali MAME meet 2006) when they still had a fair number of Konami games there including Drum Mania.
-

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#332900 - 10/07/14 07:20 PM

> Now days, they only release driving games, gun shooters, and a few shmups it seems.)

That last being a Japanese, or at least Asian, market release. All FPS and driving round here, and there's maybe two places that have them, the rest few being ticket games.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: gregf]
#332902 - 10/07/14 07:32 PM

@Arby: weelll, I wouldn't count those games. In fact, I don't count any 3D games. The last time I recall being in an arcade in the 90s was just after Mortal Kombat came out, and I was kinda impressed with it.

From say seven to about fifteen, I was in arcades only a few times a year (mainly due to resources), but it was enough to catch all the seminal stuff. In high school I was skate boarding and then partying, so only occasionally was in one, and then almost never after about '92-ish. I've played more games in one year via MAME, since '04, than probably all the time in my life before that.

@gregf: Scottsdale's Castles n Coasters held on till about a year or two ago. Had about 30 pre-90s games, with a lot of [classics], and twenty-three pins. Since then, I've heard, they've gotten rid of all the pins, and who knows about the vids. BUT there's Zapcon now, which is far more worth the trip.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

For what it's worth...... new [Re: Sonic]
#332950 - 10/08/14 01:59 PM

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/2/6888543...chine-next-week

Next week, New York Comic-Con kicks off, bringing with it a slew of internet famous and famous famous comic-book, video game, television and movie stars to The City.

But the thing that has me most excited is news that Bandai Namco will be unveiling a brand new arcade machine. That's right, a video game developed to play on a singular coin-operated machine typically found in a public place. I was so surprised by this news that I emailed their public relations team to make sure I hadn't misunderstood the email. On top of the fact that the publisher is rolling out an arcade machine in a time when arcades are most dead, this particular machine will be a brand new Star Wars title.

I couldn't wrest any other details out of the publisher about this new Star Wars arcade machine so we're going to have to be content with wild guesses until the unveiling on Oct. 8. If you want to be there with me when they show it off and give people a chance to play, make sure you check out our contest. (Update: PR reps for Bandai Namco have told us that there was some confusion on their end, and they'll actually be limiting the unveiling to press only, so the contest appears to be off for the moment. Sorry, gang.)

Right, let the speculation begin.

At the top of my I-know-it-isn't-happening-but-can-it-be-this-anyway list is a sequel to the classic, fantastic Star Wars pinball machine. Released in 1992 by DataEast and Sega, this is one of my top 10 or so pins.

Second on that list would have to be a remake of the 1983 vector-graphics classic: Star Wars. The Atari-published rail shooter is considered one of the top five most popular arcade games of all time.

OK, so my list is only two games long. There were other Star Wars arcade games, but I wasn't a fan. Besides, the reality is that this machine will likely be something like a fighter or a casual game, both of which are fine, but also not those two games I just listed.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#332975 - 10/09/14 05:27 AM

> > We still had most of the arcades going here through the early 90s.
>
> Yeah. My lawn is as well defended as anyone's here but there were good games coming
> out in arcades as late as 2000 (DDR and the other Bemani stuff).

It was always weird to me that they talk about "the crash of '83" like it was the end of everything, and yet, except for a few of my earliest memories, my entire experience of arcades and video games happened after that. What really happened in '83 was that the video game market shrunk down to the size it really should have always been.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure I can get on board with DDR being a good game. Maybe I'm just biased because I suck so hard at it. Played it once, nearly fell off the platform. Wasn't even drunk (yet).

Edited by DMala (10/09/14 05:30 AM)

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: DMala]
#332976 - 10/09/14 05:34 AM

What really happened in 83 was that a number of companies (most notably Atari but others too) who had vastly overestimated demand for their hardware and software suddenly found themselves unable to sell all that product they had produced and got seriously hurt.

In fact, the "crash" of 83 actually benefited the market for home computers as people started to buy things you could use for more than just playing games. (spreadsheets, word processing, financial stuff, educational software etc)

DomingosDeMame
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/19/14
Loc: Buenos Aires
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: jonwil]
#332989 - 10/09/14 06:52 AM

I think arcades were alive in last decade only for DDR/PIU and other music games,you cannot have the same experience at home,even getting those redoctane metal pads,and for the good old driving games like Daytona...

But at least here we´re getting those Raw Thrills games like Batman,not the best one but it looks amazing

Desde 2001 trayendote todo lo mejor del universo MAME

Excuse me for my poor English,still learning

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#332992 - 10/09/14 09:03 AM

> @Arby: weelll, I wouldn't count those games. In fact, I don't count any 3D games. The
> last time I recall being in an arcade in the 90s was just after Mortal Kombat came
> out, and I was kinda impressed with it.

The 2d to 3d transition was a defining period.

There were some great 3d games (Virtua Racing, Daytona, Manx TT & Top Skater) & some not so good.
I was bored with arcades until bemani came along, but by 2004 it was pretty dead again.

The golden age depends on how old you were, I'd say 1986. The buzz around outrun & super hangon was amazing.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: ]
#333080 - 10/11/14 07:03 AM

> The 2d to 3d transition was a defining period.
>
> There were some great 3d games (Virtua Racing, Daytona, Manx TT & Top Skater) & some not so good. I was bored with arcades until bemani came along, but by 2004 it was pretty dead again. The golden age depends on how old you were, I'd say 1986. The buzz around outrun & super hangon was amazing.

I dig what you're saying. Though, iike 'classic rock' being 50s only, 'classic games' is from '78-81, with the secondary stage through '84. But I agree that through about '87 was a third stage. I love 80s games. More than I ever thought I would.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#333087 - 10/11/14 10:19 AM

They're not dead in Japan, or in Hong Kong for that matter.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: Outrun2006]
#333102 - 10/11/14 08:10 PM

They're not doing that well in Japan though, some arcades and pcb shops have been closing I've heard Sega is happy now when their arcades even break even for a month.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#333103 - 10/11/14 08:14 PM

Spica Adventure comes to mind but that was...9 years ago now. I'm pretty sure some have hit the online download cabs in Japan but I've never seen complete lists of those catalogs and we'll never see them anyway.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#333108 - 10/12/14 04:53 AM

Quote:

Spica Adventure comes to mind but that was...9 years ago now.

That game looks good. I'd love to play it. That genre is my favorite type of video game genre. It's depressing that it's the least produced genre now days.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure some have hit the online download cabs in Japan but I've never seen complete lists of those catalogs and we'll never see them anyway.

I never even knew about those Japanese online download cabs. Why do you say we will never see them anyway? Because there's no PCB to them, right? But HG101 says there is a PCB release of this game:

Quote:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/spicaadventure/spicaadventure.htm
Originally it was developed exclusively for Japanese mobile phones in 2003, later followed by a 2005 PCB updated version for arcades.

To my understanding, these online downloadable games are mostly relaunches of games but also there are exclusively new games released... is that accurate? If so, I hope some emulator is planning or in the process of preserving these new exclusive games? It would be a shame if they were to be 'lost in time'. This NESiCAxLive stuff is all new to my knowledge. I'm having a tough time trying to find a list of all the exclusively new arcade games released through NESiCAxLive.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: DMala]
#333113 - 10/12/14 09:11 AM

> It was always weird to me that they talk about "the crash of '83" like it was the end
> of everything, and yet, except for a few of my earliest memories, my entire
> experience of arcades and video games happened after that. What really happened in
> '83 was that the video game market shrunk down to the size it really should have
> always been.

Yeah, the '83 crash was strictly console-only. Arcades were unaffected. On computers, EA launched during the crash itself and did fine (they stayed out of consoles until 16-bit), and Sierra's golden age started during the crash with the release of the first King's Quest.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

#333119 - 10/12/14 01:35 PM

> Spica Adventure comes to mind but that was...9 years ago now.
> That game looks good. I'd love to play it. That genre is my favorite type of video
> game genre. It's depressing that it's the least produced genre now days.

I played a bit of Spica Adventure last night, and it is pretty, well.. Japanese.
Had some fun with it though, though I had the feeling I hand't had all the controls properly, couldn't make some of the 'fan'-jumps

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: RATMNL]
#333122 - 10/12/14 02:09 PM

where did you play it... japan?

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#333123 - 10/12/14 02:13 PM

> where did you play it... japan?

You can play it on Your PC, just like that
(ArcadePC Loader is the answer)

Spica Adventure truly catch the spirit of 80's only with better gfx/snd !

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#333126 - 10/12/14 06:06 PM

what CTOJAH Says...
Though I'm not sure if we can talk about that here, given the Systems...

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333129 - 10/12/14 08:32 PM

> I dig what you're saying. Though, iike 'classic rock' being 50s only, 'classic games'
> is from '78-81, with the secondary stage through '84. But I agree that through about
> '87 was a third stage. I love 80s games. More than I ever thought I would.

Arcade games became mainstream around 1983, before that they were a bit of a novelty.

I guess it depends on where you live as well.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: DomingosDeMame]
#333131 - 10/12/14 11:04 PM

> I think arcades were alive in last decade only for DDR/PIU and other music games,you
> cannot have the same experience at home,even getting those redoctane metal pads,and
> for the good old driving games like Daytona...
>
> But at least here we´re getting those Raw Thrills games like Batman,not the best one
> but it looks amazing

Daytona is just about the only arcade game that simply won't die! And even after all these years, it is never $1 per credit in Australia; it's always $2 per credit (it could even be $4 per game, I can't remember if it needs 1 or 2 coins to play since I never touched it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the default is "2 quarters" and all they do is use an Australian coin comparator in place of the US one). I think DDR helped me walk out of the arcades and never come back, that kind of music gives me nothing but headaches (I don't follow the whole bright/flashing rainbows-and-unicorns thing of the dance/clubbing scene either). That and the fact that the last Tekken Tag Tournament vanished into oblivion years ago (I don't play the later games in the series, nor do I play other fighting games, mainly just Tekken 2, 3 and Tag). You can basically say I wasn't someone that hung around arcades even back then.

Also, game cards were another reason for me to turn off playing arcade machines; the fact that some places give you a $5 game card with $6.00 credit installed, and then charge no less than $1.20 per credit (or $2.40, or $3.60 etc.) is he biggest scam of all. Why even bother advertising a "free" dollar (e.g. "Get $6 for the price of $5 when you buy a $5 game card!") when you just jack up the prices anyway? I can literally last longer at the pokies (slots) than in a modern arcade if I was to use the exact same amount of money (e.g. $10; you will be surprised how long it lasts playing 1 line, 1 credit bet on a 1 cent game, even if you win next to nothing and people look at you weirdly or mutter to themselves that it's a waste of time or that you are wasting the free games/feature/bonus or should be betting 25 because you missed out on five 9's scattered all over the place but actually on a payline - WOW, one dollar's worth of nines! That would have taken me no less than 63 spins to get on the bet of 25 lines (let's see, 63 * 25 = $15.75 not counting wins; sorry, that's a little bit out of range of my $1 in each game rule) if the RNG wasn't actually random but simply had each future spin generated like the "next" brick in Tetris!).

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#333132 - 10/13/14 12:22 AM

> Yeah, the '83 crash was strictly console-only. Arcades were unaffected.

While I agree with you regarding consoles, '83 and '84 were a crash for the arcade industry but in a different way: it was the start of a steady decline in arcade gaming (marked initially by a rapid drop-off in revenues) and the first rounds of arcade closures began to happen in those two years.

We all know that there were a lot of reasons for this, but I'm looking more or less strictly at the financial indicators behind it; the reference that I'm drawing on for this does a fairly good job of putting those numbers out there. That said, there are some good points raised in the comments re: operators defaulting on payments to distributors for games as interest in them dropped off, and the knock-on effects that had on the rest of the industry.

> On computers,
> EA launched during the crash itself and did fine (they stayed out of consoles until
> 16-bit), and Sierra's golden age started during the crash with the release of the
> first King's Quest.

True, but by the same token, I'd argue that the companies that survive to this day from that era largely managed to do so on the strength of how well they adapted to the PlayStation era. I'm not saying that that particular console made or broke them, but rather that the decade or so between the '83/'84 crash and (roughly) the launch of the PlayStation was also a weeding-out period for software houses due largely to the massive change in console capabilities and shifts in the home computer market over that time - and those changes also had a major long-term impact on the arcade industry, since that particular gaming experience could now be replicated or surpassed in the home.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#333138 - 10/13/14 04:06 AM

> > where did you play it... japan?
>
> You can play it on Your PC, just like that
> (ArcadePC Loader is the answer)
>
> Spica Adventure truly catch the spirit of 80's only with better gfx/snd !

I'll have to wait til I get my new PC because my P4 XP probably is not powerful enough to run that emulator.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: casm]
#333142 - 10/13/14 05:28 AM

> True, but by the same token, I'd argue that the companies that survive to this day
> from that era largely managed to do so on the strength of how well they adapted to
> the PlayStation era. I'm not saying that that particular console made or broke them,
> but rather that the decade or so between the '83/'84 crash and (roughly) the launch
> of the PlayStation was also a weeding-out period for software houses due largely to
> the massive change in console capabilities and shifts in the home computer market
> over that time - and those changes also had a major long-term impact on the arcade
> industry, since that particular gaming experience could now be replicated or
> surpassed in the home.

You're completely ignoring Nintendo who made their mark on the world between the crash and the PlayStation.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#333145 - 10/13/14 05:42 AM

Not really an emu... hence "loader" in the description.

And that raises the question as to if pc games in a fancy cab constitutes an "arcade" game or just a well packaged computer game.

Just because a phone app is on a big touchscreen & spits out tickets, is that a real arcade game?

Let the semantics begin.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#333158 - 10/13/14 05:50 PM

> I'll have to wait til I get my new PC because my P4 XP probably is not powerful
> enough to run that emulator.

It should be OK

Just compare Your PC with following specs of Spica's arcade machine (Type X) :

CPU : Celeron 2.5Ghz (upgradable to Pentium 4 2.8GHz)
Memory : DDR266 DIMM 256MB (upgradable to DDR400 2GB)
Graphics Board : AGP Radeon 9200SE (128 MB) through to X800XT (256 MB) (complete ATI Radeon Range)
Audio : AC97 onboard 6 channel audio CODEC

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#333161 - 10/13/14 08:45 PM

> You're completely ignoring Nintendo who made their mark on the world between the
> crash and the PlayStation.

Not at all - though I didn't mention them specifically, they're definitely one of the ones who survived both the '83 / '84 crash and the PlayStation era.

With respect to Nintendo, they're an interesting company in that they were involved in both the console and arcade markets pre- and post-crash - and survived in both for several years past the '83 / '84 timeframe. In some ways, not having the NES on the market outside of Japan until after the console crash probably helped (with the NES, they had the right product at the right time in the right market conditions), and were able to leverage high-quality ports of both their own arcade and third-party games (in addition to original titles) to make it attractive.

One thing I will mention for clarity's sake: my opinion is that there were really two crashes around the 1983 timeframe. One involved consoles and home computers; the other involved arcades. The two tend to get blurred into being considered the same crash, which I feel is a mistake - though there were some interrelationships between both the console and arcade crashes, the reasons behind each were distinct enough that they aren't really one and the same.

That said, the PlayStation era was where arcades began their serious nosedive - Nintendo, Sony, and Sega had basically brought the arcade into the home at that point, and the relevance of coin-op video games began to diminish. This trend was only to continue as features like online play and ranking (which never made a huge impact in arcades) became common.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#333168 - 10/14/14 01:56 AM

That's a very North American perspective. In Japan and Australia arcades were as popular as ever during the PlayStation era driven by the popularity of fighting games and video mahjong. You only played fighting games at home for practice so you could be competitive at the arcade.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Yeah, that's not true..... new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#333177 - 10/14/14 03:52 AM

Whoa. Trippy.

> Daytona is just about the only arcade game that simply won't die! And even after all these years, it is never $1 per credit in Australia; it's always $2 per credit (it could even be $4 per game, I can't remember if it needs 1 or 2 coins to play since I never touched it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the default is "2 quarters" and all they do is use an Australian coin comparator in place of the US one). I think DDR helped me walk out of the arcades and never come back, that kind of music gives me nothing but headaches (I don't follow the whole bright/flashing rainbows-and-unicorns thing of the dance/clubbing scene either). That and the fact that the last Tekken Tap Tournament vanished into oblivion years ago (I don't play the later games in the series, nor do I play other fighting games, mainly just Tekken 2, 3 and Tag). You can basically say I wasn't someone that hung around arcades even back then.

Also, game cards were another reason for me to turn off playing arcade machines; the fact that some places give you a $5 game card with $6.00 credit installed, and then charge no less than $1.20 per credit (or $2.40, or $3.60 etc.) is he biggest scam of all. Why even bother advertising a "free" dollar (e.g. "Get $6 for the price of $5 when you buy a $5 game card!") when you just jack up the prices anyway? I can literally last longer at the pokies (slots) than in a modern arcade if I was to use the exact same amount of money (e.g. $10; you will be surprised how long it lasts playing 1 line, 1 credit bet on a 1 cent game, even if you win next to nothing and people look at you weirdly or mutter to themselves that it's a waste of time or that you are wasting the free games/feature/bonus or should be betting 25 because you missed out on five 9's scattered all over the place but actually on a payline - WOW, one dollar's worth of nines! That would have taken me no less than 63 spins to get on the bet of 25 lines (let's see, 63 * 25 = $15.75 not counting wins; sorry, that's a little bit out of range of my $1 in each game rule) if the RNG wasn't actually random but simply had each future spin generated like the "next" brick in Tetris!).

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#333180 - 10/14/14 04:03 AM

> Spica Adventure truly catch the spirit of 80's only with better gfx/snd !

?

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#333186 - 10/14/14 07:02 AM

> Tekken Tap Tournament

(C'mon, where's the Sonic version of this?)

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#333189 - 10/14/14 10:47 AM

..just wait until you need to load Norton Antivirus inside that arcade cabinet, and then you'll be arguing Symantecs.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

#333195 - 10/14/14 06:40 PM

> That's a very North American perspective.

Well, yes - but the original comment that I replied to was in reference to the North American crash of '83 / '84 Besides, having grown up in North America and some very specific parts of Europe at the time that this was happening, those are really the only places that I can speak to firsthand.

> In Japan and Australia arcades were as
> popular as ever during the PlayStation era driven by the popularity of fighting games
> and video mahjong. You only played fighting games at home for practice so you could
> be competitive at the arcade.

Growing up in Ireland, arcades survived well into the late '90s (I emigrated to the US in that timeframe, so my knowledge past that point is pretty much nil), but the console scene as known elsewhere was late in arriving.

The NES wasn't officially sold on the Irish market until the SNES was very close to being ready, and while early consoles like the Atari 2600 had been available it seemed like the preference was for home computers over consoles right up until around the SNES era. That's not to say that consoles replaced computers after that point, but rather that they hadn't been particularly big sellers up until then.

My suspicion is that the Maastricht Treaty had a lot to do with console uptake: prior to it being signed, import duties into Ireland from the rest of the EU were absolutely ridiculous, with pricing following suit. The timing on the launch of the SNES in Europe and the signing of the Maastricht treaty were *very* close, so it seems like a reasonable supposition.

Either way, I think this helped to keep arcades open slightly longer there - the only place where you could get the arcade experience was actually in the arcade.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#333204 - 10/14/14 10:04 PM

> That's a very North American perspective. In Japan and Australia arcades were as
> popular as ever during the PlayStation era driven by the popularity of fighting games
> and video mahjong. You only played fighting games at home for practice so you could
> be competitive at the arcade.

In North America that was equally true for competitive fighting game players (and in the early 2000s for competitive DDR players).

Nowadays people in competitive gaming fields practice on stream and compete in person at events like The International (DOTA 2) or EVO (fighting) or GDQ (speedrunning).

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#333216 - 10/15/14 02:49 AM

I would love to rent out some sort of wherehouse building someday and open a small and free arcade that my family and friends, and anyone could come to and enjoy. I would put all kinds of arcade racing games in it and host LAN parties every day. Would be a dream come true. Gotta start buying more lottery tickets or trading more bitcoin

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333461 - 10/18/14 10:55 PM

> Well, yes - but the original comment that I replied to was in reference to the North
> American crash of '83 / '84 Besides, having grown up in North America and some very
> specific parts of Europe at the time that this was happening, those are really the
> only places that I can speak to firsthand.

I don't think arcades were ever that popular in North America though, at least not as popular as they were in Japan or the UK.

At one of the trade shows I spoke to the Konami UK distributor and they said it was something like 90% of the Dancing Stage Euromix cabs ended up in the UK (they had a maximum number they could ship due to the music licensing).

casm
Cinematronics > *
Send PM

#333467 - 10/19/14 02:51 AM

> I don't think arcades were ever that popular in North America though, at least not as
> popular as they were in Japan or the UK.

Can't really speak as to Japan, but in (specifically) Southern California they were *everywhere* at the time - arguably on a par with the parts of the UK that I was in (mostly Southeast England / the Home Counties) and Edinburgh.

Ireland was different - they weren't as prevalent as in the UK (at least outside of Dublin), but machines were to be found in pubs, shops, petrol stations, etc.

> At one of the trade shows I spoke to the Konami UK distributor and they said it was
> something like 90% of the Dancing Stage Euromix cabs ended up in the UK (they had a
> maximum number they could ship due to the music licensing).

I have no reason to doubt you, but can't really speak to machines from that timeframe - I'd emigrated to the 'States by 1998.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#333473 - 10/19/14 04:00 AM

> I never even knew about those Japanese online download cabs. Why do you say we will
> never see them anyway? Because there's no PCB to them, right?

Right, they download temporarily to a PC in a cab, and in order to get a dump you would need arcade ops in Japan to let you come in and illegally copy them of the machines. Nothing is sold.

>But HG101 says there is
> a PCB release of this game:
> http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/spicaadventure/spicaadventure.htm
> Originally it was developed exclusively for Japanese mobile phones in 2003, later
> followed by a 2005 PCB updated version for arcades.

Spica Adventure is Taito Type X which is PC hardware but not a Japan download cab. It had a kit release with hard drive/dongle/art.

> To my understanding, these online downloadable games are mostly relaunches of games
> but also there are exclusively new games released... is that accurate?

Yes

>If so, I hope
> some emulator is planning or in the process of preserving these new exclusive games?
> It would be a shame if they were to be 'lost in time'. This NESiCAxLive stuff is all
> new to my knowledge. I'm having a tough time trying to find a list of all the
> exclusively new arcade games released through NESiCAxLive.

We can't get the games short of a series of miracles. Nesica and its brothers are the worst thing to ever happen to emulation/game preservation.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#333480 - 10/19/14 08:14 AM

> > I'll have to wait til I get my new PC because my P4 XP probably is not powerful
> > enough to run that emulator.
>
> It should be OK
>
> Just compare Your PC with following specs of Spica's arcade machine (Type X) :
>
> OS : Windows XP Embedded (customized)
> CPU : Celeron 2.5Ghz (upgradable to Pentium 4 2.8GHz)
> Memory : DDR266 DIMM 256MB (upgradable to DDR400 2GB)
> Graphics Board : AGP Radeon 9200SE (128 MB) through to X800XT (256 MB) (complete ATI
> Radeon Range)
> Audio : AC97 onboard 6 channel audio CODEC

Acer T310 desktop PC (circa 2004/2005):

Board: Acer E61ML
CPU: Celeron 2.8GHz (stock)
Memory: 1GB DDR400 (at DDR333 speed due to board limitation) (stock: 256MB DDR333)
Graphics: AGP ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (stock: SIS 661FX onboard chipset)
Audio: Realtek AC97 onboard (stock)

My trusty old rig is pretty close.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#333570 - 10/21/14 01:07 AM

> Acer T310 desktop PC (circa 2004/2005):
>
> Board: Acer E61ML
> OS: Windows XP Professional (stock: XP Home Edition)
> CPU: Celeron 2.8GHz (stock)
> Memory: 1GB DDR400 (at DDR333 speed due to board limitation) (stock: 256MB DDR333)
> Graphics: AGP ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (stock: SIS 661FX onboard chipset)
> Audio: Realtek AC97 onboard (stock)
>
> My trusty old rig is pretty close.

For fuck's sake, I haven't run only a gig of memory on an XP machine since.....'07. It would hiccup. It's interesting to note that my first PC, '02 Dell 4500S, came with 256 mb of memory, using 32mb (eventually 48) for integrated video, and it ran everything just fine for at least a year. It was only OS updates that changed that. Of course, I was still on dial-up then, and youtube was rarely above VGA.....

jonwil
Lurker
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: Traso]
#333583 - 10/21/14 04:46 AM

I ran 2GB on my XP machine and then upgraded the machine (the same one I am using now) to 4GB and Windows 7 at the same time.
Currently saving the pennies in the hope I can afford to upgrade to 8GB and maybe an SSD.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: Traso]
#333585 - 10/21/14 05:31 AM

Quote:

For fuck's sake, I haven't run only a gig of memory on an XP machine since.....'07. It would hiccup.

I have 1 GB memory on my Dell 4700 series, Win XP 32-bit, Pentium 4 HT, 3.0 GHz, 128 MB ATI Radeon X300 SE video card, computer and there's no hiccups. There's barely any waiting time when I load a program. I can run an anti-virus scan, listen to music, search the internet, and download files at the same time with no problem.

For me personally, the only thing I'm missing out on by having an older PC is not being able to play modern PC games and the 5% of CPU intensive MAME games. I guess that is one of the reasons it has taken me so long to finally get a new PC this Christmas.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#333587 - 10/21/14 06:13 AM

> I have 1 GB memory on my Dell 4700 series, Win XP 32-bit, Pentium 4 HT, 3.0 GHz, 128
> MB ATI Radeon X300 SE video card, computer and there's no hiccups. There's barely any
> waiting time when I load a program. I can run an anti-virus scan, listen to music,
> search the internet, and download files at the same time with no problem.

Not being able to play any HD content would be an absolute killer for me.

Also, I wonder how much more energy you're wasting with that P4 when comparing it with someone running a newer i3/i5 series CPU

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#333589 - 10/21/14 07:08 AM

Like the drive-in theatre phenom, arcades aren't dead... merely dormant. The common denominator is how the culture values going out in public and enjoying bustling environments. My wife and I go to the local movie house more often than ever before because although it's possible to download virtually anything you want to watch, we tire of vegetating in the apartment; admittedly, it helps that the theatre charges $4.00 a ticket and $2.00 for popcorn. If arcades were a quarter again, that would similarly help. The kids coming up know no other lifestyle than burying themselves in their hand-held computing devices and would rather text the person standing right in front of them than actually speak to them; once they start concluding that there's an actual world out there and opt to experience it, then they can at least enjoy gaming in public without actually speaking to people.

xBEMANIxGIRLx
Reged: 10/07/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

#333649 - 10/22/14 04:39 PM

I think it depends on where you live and what genre of games you are into, Also it's just the inevitability of gaming in general.

If you are a music rythem fan, there are still DDR and Bemani/Music Rythem games being made every year

But in general when you have so many people with console's the pro's and con's of going to the arcade have become the deciding factor:

Arcade - Wait you're turn, Spend lot's of money.

Gaming at home - Learn at you're own pace, Extra mode's/Content, Unlimited Continue's
---

However, i think arcade's and the scene live's on in a different way. Through Emulation Hobbyiest project's and communities..

It make's no sense to develop a game on proprietary hardware just to port it to console's a few month's later.

That 'Arcade Experience' has been narrowed down from custom chips,specific componant's and quirky control scheme's to basically a pc, with a peripheral (What ever is needed to experience the game).
---

Are Arcade's Dead/Dying.. Yes.. Is the Arcade scene and community dying, Hell No.

So Build those cab's, Set to FREEPLAY and get's as many people playing as possible

On a side note, I also think people would gladly donate through official mean's to Developers for game's they would not be able to play without mame etc (Rare,Availibility in you're country).

Seriously Konami.. TAKE MY MONEY Get That Paypal link up.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#333651 - 10/22/14 05:30 PM

> I don't think arcades were ever that popular in North America though, at least not as
> popular as they were in Japan or the UK.

Arcades and arcade games were well beyond huge in NA from about 1981-1984. Pac-Man Fever was very real. There were machines in literally every kind of business, at least one arcade in every mall, and it was the peak years for Chuck E. Cheese. It's why golden-age stuff is still pretty easy to find in the US, while it requires some hunting in the UK.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#333679 - 10/23/14 02:50 AM

arbee hit the nail the head. Born and raised baby. Born and motherfucking raised. I am 41 years old and stepped into my first arcade when I was 12yrs old. First one I remember going to was probably the University Village across from USC college. Then it was Chuck E. Cheese. Since then I have been to so many arcades it's disgusting.

Arcades...to me, are the bread and butter of my videogame experience. Los Angeles used to be flooded with them. They are the reason that I love emulation to DEATH, and why I have such a big.....and I mean HUGE fondness and admiration to the devs behind MAME. Arcades are the reason why my passion for old 2D games knows no bounds, and why I am constantly binge-watching folks play 2D retro games on TwitchTV.

Arcades are also responsible for my incredibly odd, strange and disturbing fascination with high-grade, high quality force feedback steering wheels and pedals, and have help shape my affection for the Sega and Namco arcade racers of the 80s and especially 90s. I can't tell you how much my jaw dropped when I first played this puppy walking home from Junior High school in 1986 at the local laundry mat:

It was absolutely sublime.

Arcades are a HUGE part of American videogame history, and all MAMEWORLD forum members should never forget that.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: End of arcade development ? new [Re: B2K24]
#333697 - 10/23/14 06:41 AM

Quote:

Not being able to play any HD content would be an absolute killer for me.

I'm able to play 720 HD, but not full 1080 HD. That is something I look forward to when I get my new PC, especially since I got a nice 27" monitor.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333698 - 10/23/14 07:08 AM

> Arcades and arcade games were well beyond huge in NA from about 1981-1984. Pac-Man
> Fever was very real.

I guess you had a blip in NA around that time then, which I don't really remember happening in the UK. Shopping malls didn't exist here, but most pubs and fish and chip shops would have a machine of some form. More often than not it was a fruit machine.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#333743 - 10/24/14 02:23 AM

> I guess you had a blip in NA around that time then, which I don't really remember happening in the UK. Shopping malls didn't exist here, but most pubs and fish and chip shops would have a machine of some form. More often than not it was a fruit machine.

US game existence more than half the market in the early days. The majority of game manufacturers were US companies. There was Japan, and then the US, and we know which one had more places to put them in, and like Arby said, people did. Any business - not just eat/drink places - but every grocery/drug store (sometimes right next to each other, as they were in my neighborhood), every convenience store, offices....

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#333755 - 10/24/14 05:53 AM

I got a question for all you...

When you watch a video/movie/images of inside an arcade from the 1980's, we all get a nostalgic feeling... but does it make you feel happy remembering all the good times, or does it make you feel sad knowing that it's all over now? You probably may feel both feelings, but which feeling do you feel more, happiness or sadness?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6993