MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jousley
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/28/15
Send PM

LCD screens and MAME - lack of valuable searches...
#336444 - 01/28/15 05:26 AM

hello all - and this is my first post. Please note that I have searched for this information over the past few weeks and have found loads of information, but most of it seems to be prior to 2013. I just want to get more updated info- and be able to understand specifically with more specific questions. so bare with me and here goes:
1) I want to build a cab, and use an lcd screen - not interested in making it look like the orig (scanlines, etc.). I was hoping for a 27", but I believe that nothing over a 21" will have the same 3:4 ratio. is that still true?
2) I have read posts that using a 27" or a 34" or larger will create a bigger game display - but you will have black lines on the sides. So does that mean that a 21" at 3:4 display will have the exact same game display as a 27" - but you will have to cover the sides?
3) I've read that some lcd's have lag - what should I be looking for to minimize this? brands or other factors?
4) Lastly, what is the best LCD that you recommend and why?

I appreciate all knowledge and opinions. This will be my first build and I'm pretty handy with the wood working - but it's the components and electronics that I'm learning.
Also, I don't mean to ask a newb question, but again, everything that comes up in google is years old.

Thanks for your time.
J

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: LCD screens and MAME - lack of valuable searches... new [Re: jousley]
#336446 - 01/28/15 09:03 AM

Howdy,

I'd suggest posting your questions over at ArcadeControls (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php). There are more people there that would be willing to answer your questions.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#336654 - 02/03/15 06:58 PM

> 2) I have read posts that using a 27" or a 34" or larger will create a bigger game
> display - but you will have black lines on the sides. So does that mean that a 21" at
> 3:4 display will have the exact same game display as a 27" - but you will have to
> cover the sides?

The extra space can be used to display carefully restored bezels and other artwork: http://mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_artwork.php

S

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#336659 - 02/04/15 07:13 AM

You're not going to find 4:3 LCD monitors anymore. The largest I ever saw was 20.1 inches with a 1400 x 1050 native resolution and that was many years ago.

I've seen some people use an LCD/HDTV in a cabinet, but rotated 90 degrees. I guess they hide part of the screen behind the control panel at the bottom, and maybe part of the screen at the top of the cabinet is hidden as well.

I think the idea is that a 24 inch LCD is more than a bit shorter than a 25 inch CRT arcade monitor...
http://www.displaywars.com/25-inch-4x3-vs-24-inch-16x9
...so by using a larger LCD, rotating it 90 degrees, and blocking part of it out with a bezel or whatever, it will still fit within a normal-sized arcade cabinet but you get a larger usable screen area.

Somewhere in the last year or two, I saw a Galaga (or possibly Galaxian) machine configured this way in an arcade. I think it was a Dave & Busters, but it might have been the Space Mountain arcade in Walt Disney World.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#336784 - 02/08/15 08:22 PM

> hello all - and this is my first post. Please note that I have searched for this
> information over the past few weeks and have found loads of information, but most of
> it seems to be prior to 2013. I just want to get more updated info- and be able to
> understand specifically with more specific questions. so bare with me and here goes:
> 1) I want to build a cab, and use an lcd screen - not interested in making it look
> like the orig (scanlines, etc.). I was hoping for a 27", but I believe that nothing
> over a 21" will have the same 3:4 ratio. is that still true?
> 2) I have read posts that using a 27" or a 34" or larger will create a bigger game
> display - but you will have black lines on the sides. So does that mean that a 21" at
> 3:4 display will have the exact same game display as a 27" - but you will have to
> cover the sides?
> 3) I've read that some lcd's have lag - what should I be looking for to minimize
> this? brands or other factors?
> 4) Lastly, what is the best LCD that you recommend and why?
>
> I appreciate all knowledge and opinions. This will be my first build and I'm pretty
> handy with the wood working - but it's the components and electronics that I'm
> learning.
> Also, I don't mean to ask a newb question, but again, everything that comes up in
> google is years old.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> J

I'm pretty late to respond on this one, but my advice would be that above all else, get a monitor that supports NVidia G-Sync technology, or at the very least AdaptiveSync. The vast majority of arcade games didn't run exactly at 60Hz, and as a result will suffer from screen tearing when playing a game that scrolls.

You can somewhat mitigate this by tweaking the speed of the game using a hacked version of MAME or certain command-line options, but this will have the cost of either pitching the audio up/down, or giving you audio that stutters. The only viable way of running a lot of classic games in MAME with smooth scrolling on an LCD or LED panel is to use one that supports NVidia G-Sync. Everyone keeps harping on about how great it is for modern 3D games, but it's a phenomenal bit of tech for MAME's purposes as well.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Watch out.....Sune'll get you..... (see what I did there?) new [Re: lamprey]
#336824 - 02/10/15 02:49 AM

> Howdy,

> I'd suggest posting your questions over at ArcadeControls (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php). There are more people there that would be willing to answer your questions.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3255