Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000
#343978 - 08/13/15 06:23 PM

Article from CNN Money: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000

Despite some uninformed claims that emulation has destroyed the market for actual classic games, it sure seems healthy to me.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: Comboman]
#343980 - 08/13/15 06:36 PM

You know, I think the very worst reason to own something is because it's worth money. Get what you love, cherish it. That's the ticket. If someone says it's "worth nothing", well it's irrelevant.

Stories like this just encourages "collectors" to get into the market and drive prices higher for those that love the hobby - it happens in all things. It's such a shame.

IMO.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#343988 - 08/13/15 09:47 PM

> Article from CNN Money: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000
>
> Despite some uninformed claims that emulation has destroyed the market for actual
> classic games, it sure seems healthy to me.

Oh, horseshit, what an inflammatory title for a shitty article. No, your old video games probably aren't worth $12,000. In fact, they most certainly aren't. Prototypes, on the other hand, are almost always worth a good bit of coin. Just how fucking stupid is the author of this article to conflate the two?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#343989 - 08/13/15 10:01 PM

ahaha. I'm rich... still own my Atari 2600 with 40 cartridges, including the infamous "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" and some other "rare" titles.

Also a very old PONG home console with two big ass dials as the controllers.
My SupesNES is still alive too, but I only have 4 games on it.

25 thousand for it all... what a bargain, heh ?

The problem is finding a CRT TV to plug them in

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#343997 - 08/13/15 11:58 PM

> Prototypes, on the other hand, are almost always worth a good bit of coin.

Back when I worked at Dynamix (circa 1998), I remember one of the team areas having some dev consoles and prototype cartridges (SNES or N64, I think. My memory is hazy) sitting in a box of random junk. I should have grabbed them before I left. They closed Dynamix a few years later and I bet they ended up in a dumpster.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#343998 - 08/14/15 12:01 AM

> ahaha. I'm rich... still own my Atari 2600 with 40 cartridges, including the infamous
> "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" and some other "rare" titles.

When I was a kid, I loved to run down E.T.s energy and make him die right as the space ship came down to take him away so that it would get stuck.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: krick]
#344000 - 08/14/15 01:03 AM

hum, never tried that.
I've got stuck in that game quite a few times until I learned not to go towards certain areas (actual traps or just game bugs ?).
There was a place were you would go up to the next screen (left corner) and ET always appeared stuck in a tree branch or something like that (bottom left corner). Impossible to move making me reset the game and start all over again.

Oh, how many afternoons I wasted playing this game

And I was not the only one, my friends would fall into the same trap. I know now that this is one of the bugs in the game that if you are unlucky to get trapped... game over.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#344002 - 08/14/15 03:13 AM

Really, E.T. was a perfectly fine game by Atari 2600 standards. It was certainly a far better game than the terrible Atari port of Pac-Man, which according to Wikipedia sold an estimated 7 million copies. The real reason that Atari ended up dumping so many E.T. games in a landfill was that they didn't anticipate the coming video game crash and manufactured far too many copies. It's also possible that they over-estimated the demand for a video game based on an arguably overrated children's movie.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#344021 - 08/14/15 04:56 PM

> And I was not the only one, my friends would fall into the same trap. I know now that
> this is one of the bugs in the game that if you are unlucky to get trapped... game
> over.

There's a patched ROM that fixes the bugs (primarily collision detection on the traps/pits, but it also makes ET closer to the color he is in the movie) and the game's quite playable with it.

Ashura-X
MAME Compiler!
Reged: 01/22/04
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#344025 - 08/14/15 07:04 PM

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#344027 - 08/14/15 07:21 PM

Cool, will check it out. Thank you.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#344084 - 08/16/15 06:56 AM

I made a video showing the spaceship death bug...

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#344103 - 08/16/15 09:41 PM

> > Article from CNN Money: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000
> >
> > Despite some uninformed claims that emulation has destroyed the market for actual
> > classic games, it sure seems healthy to me.
>
> Oh, horseshit, what an inflammatory title for a shitty article. No, your old video
> games probably aren't worth $12,000. In fact, they most certainly aren't. Prototypes,
> on the other hand, are almost always worth a good bit of coin. Just how fucking
> stupid is the author of this article to conflate the two?

What you mean the dude selling his n64 on craigslist with the 'lightly used controllers' for 300 bucks is trying to rip me off?! Noooo its not true! /sarc

Having 'collected' many games over the years. It is always the one weird thing worth something. Its worth something because usually they are crap and no one bought them in the first place (or it was meant to be thrown away). 99% of the carts out there are worth 1-5 bucks each *if* your lucky. Some ps1 games command a higher price just because they are a bit more rare, but most are junk. If I parted out my whole lot of games I own I *might* get 2-3k for it. But that is just because I am a packrat with too many carts. I am sometimes tempted to just give the whole lot away and be done with it. I would rather give it to someone who enjoys it, than is in it for the 'value'.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: Vaughan]
#344115 - 08/17/15 02:07 AM

> Stories like this just encourages "collectors" to get into the market and drive
> prices higher for those that love the hobby - it happens in all things. It's such a
> shame.
>
> IMO.

Yep, forget horse racing, video game collecting is the new sport of kings.

Someone buys a cheap but good game for a few bucks at a goodwill store, sells it for $10 on eBay; a buyer (read: game store) immediately snaps it up while later selling it for $15 to make a few dollars; another buyer buys it, then sells for $20 for profit; game then goes for $30, $40, $50, going from game store to game store to game store, each increasing the price of the game because no-one wants to break even in a business.

Also, any multi-platform game featuring the Nintendo logo is automatically 2 to 20 times the price of the exact same game not featuring the Nintendo logo.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: lharms]
#344138 - 08/17/15 11:08 PM

> > > Article from CNN Money: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000
> > >
> > > Despite some uninformed claims that emulation has destroyed the market for actual
> > > classic games, it sure seems healthy to me.
> >
> > Oh, horseshit, what an inflammatory title for a shitty article. No, your old video
> > games probably aren't worth $12,000. In fact, they most certainly aren't.
> Prototypes,
> > on the other hand, are almost always worth a good bit of coin. Just how fucking
> > stupid is the author of this article to conflate the two?
>
> What you mean the dude selling his n64 on craigslist with the 'lightly used
> controllers' for 300 bucks is trying to rip me off?! Noooo its not true! /sarc
>
> Having 'collected' many games over the years. It is always the one weird thing worth
> something. Its worth something because usually they are crap and no one bought them
> in the first place (or it was meant to be thrown away). 99% of the carts out there
> are worth 1-5 bucks each *if* your lucky. Some ps1 games command a higher price just
> because they are a bit more rare, but most are junk. If I parted out my whole lot of
> games I own I *might* get 2-3k for it. But that is just because I am a packrat with
> too many carts. I am sometimes tempted to just give the whole lot away and be done
> with it. I would rather give it to someone who enjoys it, than is in it for the
> 'value'.

Yeah i have a MAJOR collection of games, arcadia 2000, atari 2400, genesis, saturn, dreamcast, nes, snes, n64, gamecube, wii, xbox, 360, ps1, ps2, ps3, etc. etc. I have almost 3 to 4 consoles for each system. For the nes, snes, ps1,ps2, gensis, i have close to 200 games each system, the others over 100 games each system except the arcadia and in all of those games i doubt i have anything of great value. I collected these thru the yrs for my 3 kids. I told them when they turn 21 they will get a "set" of consoles but they have to share games.

I would love to finish out the complete dreamcadt game list though. I have like 140 out out 238 games i beleive.

Only here to annoy...

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: krick]
#344248 - 08/20/15 09:23 PM

> It's also possible that they over-estimated the demand for a video game based on an arguably overrated children's movie.

I don't think so. E.T. was huge, but word about the trap bug spread like wildfire, and people weren't buying it. Also, E.T. was the first sci-fi movie that girls liked. A number of women liked Star Wars, and some liked Star Trek, but very rarely females under adult age. I don't remember seeing any girls at any of the first three Star Wars, not even Jedi. But probably half the E.T. audience were girls.

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

#344279 - 08/21/15 06:17 PM

> ahaha. I'm rich... still own my Atari 2600 with 40 cartridges, including the infamous
> "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" and some other "rare" titles.
>
> Also a very old PONG home console with two big ass dials as the controllers.
> My SupesNES is still alive too, but I only have 4 games on it.
>
> 25 thousand for it all... what a bargain, heh ?
>
> The problem is finding a CRT TV to plug them in

My problem isn't finding a CRT TV, but fixing the coaxial connectors, I have 4 CRTs TVs and 3 CRT monitors, all the TVs but one of the TVs (a 13 inch works) have busted coaxial connectors. All the Monitors still work, which is nice. I just wish I could find someone to fix them cheap, most repair places want $20 to look at it, and $75 to fix them. I can get a better flat screen TV for about 20 bux more.

I had to make all 4 controllers for my Atari Pong game, finding the Pots were hard to do though.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#344307 - 08/23/15 01:30 PM

> My problem isn't finding a CRT TV, but fixing the coaxial connectors, I have 4 CRTs
> TVs and 3 CRT monitors, all the TVs but one of the TVs (a 13 inch works) have busted
> coaxial connectors. All the Monitors still work, which is nice. I just wish I could
> find someone to fix them cheap, most repair places want $20 to look at it, and $75 to
> fix them. I can get a better flat screen TV for about 20 bux more.
>
> I had to make all 4 controllers for my Atari Pong game, finding the Pots were hard to
> do though.

I happen to have two TVs with broken and missing coax (aerial) connectors. Got an old VCR lying about? Best source of analog tuners ever.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Your Old Videogame Could Be Worth $12,000 new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#344349 - 08/24/15 11:56 PM

> I happen to have two TVs with broken and missing coax (aerial) connectors. Got an old VCR lying about? Best source of analog tuners ever.

How do these things get broken? Anyways, should be what two or three wires? Get a new plug, probably still available at walmart, and spend a few minutes decasing, de-soldering, and re-soldering.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3557