Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

question about MAME and device ROMs
#344454 - 08/27/15 11:55 PM

Hi,

Are device ROMs required to play MAME games? Can I play a MAME game without having any device ROMs?

Thank you,
Jason

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Jason]
#344455 - 08/28/15 12:22 AM

> Hi,
>
> Are device ROMs required to play MAME games? Can I play a MAME game without having
> any device ROMs?
>
> Thank you,
> Jason

http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php?title=Frequently_Asked_Questions

http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/FAQ:ROMs

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Jason
Regular
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Master O]
#344456 - 08/28/15 12:34 AM

Thanks but I wasn't asking about missing files.

Perhaps I wasn't clear ... will NOT having the device ROMs (not BIOS) impact game play in any way?

Thanks,
Jason

mahlemiut
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: New Zealand
Send PM

#344459 - 08/28/15 12:54 AM

> Thanks but I wasn't asking about missing files.
>
> Perhaps I wasn't clear ... will NOT having the device ROMs (not BIOS) impact game
> play in any way?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Yes, you'll get the usual missing ROMs error.

- Barry Rodewald
Editor at MARP - http://replay.marpirc.net

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: mahlemiut]
#344461 - 08/28/15 01:04 AM

> Yes, you'll get the usual missing ROMs error.

410 posts and he gets this brain error.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#344462 - 08/28/15 01:07 AM

yes, because the game will have missing files without device ROMs.
Many games require device ROMs and will not work without them.

Take bios sets for example. They are also required by many games, like Neo-Geo games. These games require bios ROMs, present in a bios set named "neogeo" (neogeo.zip file).

You can have bios ROMs directly in the gamename.zip file But, since several games share the same bios ROMs, instead of having duplicates of bios ROMs for each gamename.zip file, it's easier to just have neogeo.zip with all bios ROMs shared by Neo-Geo games.

The same rule applies to device sets. Many games share the same device ROMs. Having a devicename.zip file with common device ROMs makes sense... and it's far easier to update your ROMs too.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

Jason
Regular
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Traso]
#344463 - 08/28/15 01:07 AM

1336 posts and you're still a horse's ass!

Seriously, did you feel better after you posted that? If so, I'm glad I could help you out.

Jason
Regular
Send PM

Thank you Ciro and mahlemiut... new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#344464 - 08/28/15 01:09 AM

For the rest of you, I apologize if I've pissed anyone off for asking a question.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Thank you Ciro and mahlemiut... new [Re: Jason]
#344475 - 08/28/15 03:53 AM

I thought your question was completely valid. Never mind the one who has to reply to every thread.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#344476 - 08/28/15 04:46 AM

> Hi,
>
> Are device ROMs required to play MAME games? Can I play a MAME game without having
> any device ROMs?

It depends on the hardware that runs the game. I'm guessing by device ROMs you mean ROMs for things like expansion cards for an emulated computer, or for example the Sega32x expansion for the Sega Megadrive.

If your game runs on a computer or a game console and it requires an add-on device to be present, and the emulation of that device requires a certain ROM, then yes obviously you will need that particular Device ROM to run your game.

Unlike computers, most arcade platforms are "closed" systems with no provision for plugging in anything except controls and a monitor. So if you're talking about an arcade game you will probably not need any "device ROMs".

It's easy to check though because nothing has changed in this regard; if you try to run an arcade game or start the emulation of a computer or console and you don't have the required ROMs, then it will not run at all. I guess this is why your post got some offensive replies.

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Sune]
#344477 - 08/28/15 04:58 AM

> Unlike computers, most arcade platforms are "closed" systems with no provision for
> plugging in anything except controls and a monitor. So if you're talking about an
> arcade game you will probably not need any "device ROMs".

You'll need device ROMs for the Namco C chips for many Namco arcade games, and for Qsound for a bunch of Capcom games. It all depends on the game and whether it has any common devices shared with other games.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#344478 - 08/28/15 05:08 AM

> > Unlike computers, most arcade platforms are "closed" systems with no provision for
> > plugging in anything except controls and a monitor. So if you're talking about an
> > arcade game you will probably not need any "device ROMs".
>
> You'll need device ROMs for the Namco C chips for many Namco arcade games, and for
> Qsound for a bunch of Capcom games. It all depends on the game and whether it has any
> common devices shared with other games.

Right, I forgot about those. But if he tries to run any of those games without namcoxx.zip he'd see a missing ROMs message just the same as if he was missing any other required file. So, nothing new under the sun..

S

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#344554 - 08/30/15 04:13 PM

> > Unlike computers, most arcade platforms are "closed" systems with no provision for
> > plugging in anything except controls and a monitor. So if you're talking about an
> > arcade game you will probably not need any "device ROMs".
>
> You'll need device ROMs for the Namco C chips for many Namco arcade games, and for
> Qsound for a bunch of Capcom games. It all depends on the game and whether it has any
> common devices shared with other games.

I thought Qsound had to be redumped?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Master O]
#344577 - 08/31/15 07:48 AM

> I thought Qsound had to be redumped?

It needs a DSP16 CPU core to be written and audio stream hookup before it'll do anything useful, but I think the ROM dump (from a decap image) is good. You need it to be present to run many Capcom games anyway.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Thank you Ciro and mahlemiut... new [Re: redk9258]
#344591 - 08/31/15 02:16 PM

> I thought your question was completely valid. Never mind the one who has to reply to
> every thread.

Don't forget "also believes he's funny" and "thinks his opinion adds something of value to the conversation" into that sentence.

A free advice to Traso: When someone with a next to its nick is taking notes of your behavior, it means you're crossing the line.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#344603 - 08/31/15 05:16 PM

> Right, I forgot about those. But if he tries to run any of those games without
> namcoxx.zip he'd see a missing ROMs message just the same as if he was missing any
> other required file. So, nothing new under the sun..

Same goes for the BSMT2000. Devices are definitely encroaching into MAME quite rapidly

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#344695 - 09/03/15 01:17 AM

> 1336 posts and you're still a horse's ass!
>
> Seriously, did you feel better after you posted that? If so, I'm glad I could help
> you out.

No dude. I spank and worship the horse's ass. Get your stories straight.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Thank you Ciro and mahlemiut... new [Re: redk9258]
#344698 - 09/03/15 01:26 AM

> I thought your question was completely valid. Never mind the one who has to reply to every thread.

Just seems that way cos I get your goat so good, mijo. Squish.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Thank you Ciro and mahlemiut... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#344699 - 09/03/15 01:28 AM

> Don't forget "also believes he's funny" and "thinks his opinion adds something of value to the conversation" into that sentence.

> A free advice to Traso: When someone with a next to its nick is taking notes of your behavior, it means you're crossing the line.

I am funny; you're just too square to be funny back.

That connotation of 'value' doesn't exist in my working vocabulary. 'Belief' don't at all.

Humanity's been pushing the chicken switch since I was a kid; and from the first I've been telling it to go get fucked. Authority I recognise, until it ain't.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#344700 - 09/03/15 01:37 AM

> But if he tries to run any of those games without namcoxx.zip he'd see a missing ROMs message just the same as if he was missing any other required file. So, nothing new under the sun..
> S

This was helpful, though. Mainly because I didn't know those had been separated (for the reasons mentioned), and they weren't in 'bios' at my main rom outpost. I'd kept finding the bits and manually introducing them into each set that utilized them, cos MAME just said 'you don't have 62xx', an I didn't know nothin else.

Jason
Regular
Send PM

Re: question about MAME and device ROMs new [Re: Traso]
#344731 - 09/03/15 04:57 PM

OCD ... I get it...you can't help yourself

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2290