shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/02/15
Send PM

(Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival
#345757 - 10/02/15 11:36 PM

Hi mameworld community;

Kickstarter now live here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858040208/shadow-gangs-80s-ninja-arcade-action-revival

The kickstarter date is now set, it's the 25th of June 2016

The demo is available in the download section here

New gameplay video is now available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-ZpxWKEaQ

I've been working for some time now as part of a team on a 2D HD action game that aims to capture and improve on some of the best of what the 80's arcade games gave us.
Games like Shinobi, Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja, Shadow Warriors and other ninja arcade games are it's main inspiration.
The project was in stealth mode, but now we feel it is in a state where we can made it's existence public.

It is still WIP but we plan to have a working demo soon.

Here is some in game pictures and characters:
Demo level (WIP):

Main Character "Dan":

Ninja enemy "James":

Hope you like it and I'll be happy to know what you think of it either here or on the game website http://www.shadowgangs.com

Thank you!

Edited by shadowgangs (06/24/16 08:40 PM)

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: shadowgangs]
#345762 - 10/03/15 03:34 AM

WOW, nice work and beautiful graphics ! All the best with your project.

Moose

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Moose]
#345783 - 10/03/15 08:20 PM

> WOW, nice work and beautiful graphics ! All the best with your project.
Thank you, we'll try to have the gameplay to be just as good!
In the meantime, for all who are interested be sure check the game website for news and update.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: shadowgangs]
#345799 - 10/04/15 12:36 PM

Hey, I just want to give you guys props for having nicely-drawn graphics rather than falling into the old "80's were better because they had crap graphics" trope that so many retro homages do.

It's nice to see a group of people realizing that what made games like Shinobi great was good gameplay and a compelling art style, not the low-fi nature of the graphics and sound itself.

I for one am looking forward to trying out the demo once you have it working!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#345816 - 10/05/15 12:04 AM

Looks good! If it plays as well as the games its paying homage to I think you'll have a hit.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: R. Belmont]
#345833 - 10/05/15 02:42 PM

> Looks good! If it plays as well as the games its paying homage to I think you'll have
> a hit.

Thank you guys for your interest in this upcoming game.
I have had some criticism on other people especially concerning Dan's outfit, as it looks like many people want to see Dan having a more traditional ninja attire.

So I want to say that this will happen, and as Dan is an UFC fighter but also a Ninja enthusiast, he will put his ninja suit too. It will be a choice,and a catering for different people tastes.

I personally like the more muscular approach, but most would like the traditional ninja looks for some reason...I confess I never liked the treatment Sega did to Joe in Shadow Dancer and I've been driven off ninja looks for a hero ever since.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#345841 - 10/05/15 04:40 PM

> I personally like the more muscular approach, but most would like the traditional
> ninja looks for some reason...I confess I never liked the treatment Sega did to Joe
> in Shadow Dancer and I've been driven off ninja looks for a hero ever since.

I like the more modern UFC-style outfit, but if you can give players an option it sounds like everyone will be happy.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: R. Belmont]
#345851 - 10/05/15 08:13 PM

Perhaps unlockable transmog options.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: B2K24]
#345854 - 10/05/15 08:42 PM

That's an excellent idea!
It reminds me of some ninja movies of the 80's where people start fighting normally, and the when things get ugly they transform to ninjas .
This also means that Dan in his UFC outfit will loose the sword and I like it that way.

Edited by shadowgangs (10/05/15 08:45 PM)

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#345916 - 10/08/15 10:40 PM

Hi everyone;

I am happy to report that the Mame community is the biggest viewer of the Shadow Gangs website, so thanks to everyone.

It's true that Shadow Gangs will be an arcade game in spirit and we hope as the game team to recreate that special something of the 80's arcade especially ninja games, and especially Shinobi, there I said it.

We have updated Dan and I hope you like the new look:

More images on the website.

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

#345940 - 10/10/15 12:47 AM

Looks cool! Don't forget to throw in some ninja babes! They are an 80s fighting game staple!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: mike20599]
#345941 - 10/10/15 01:00 AM

Noted!
Wasn't thinking about having any girl in the game.
We'll add one, not in the upcoming demo but the full game if we get to do it.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#346345 - 10/28/15 02:06 AM

I thought I'll give an update here in Mameworld, as it marks an important milestone.

All the demo characters are mostly finished, and the work now is on making the game play good, fixing bugs and making the graphics/animations look better and fixing them.

We'll also be starting now on the sound effects and music.

Bellow are some in-game snaps. More new images on the gallery.
(images are jpeg for size, quality is not the best).

Hope you like it!

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

They was better..... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#346389 - 10/29/15 12:51 AM

> ..."80's were better because they had crap graphics"...

Because they were novel. DK, Joust, Millipede, the Pacs....and many more....had/have a certain charm because of the contraints. A later example is any of the 80s Capcom games. Just bad-ass, that don't look cool with drawn graphics because the latter looks cartoonish in an infantile manner.

The graphics in this homage are little catoonish, but better than a lot of remakes that use drawn graphics. I like the color palette, as well.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#346395 - 10/29/15 02:21 AM

> Hi mameworld community;
>
> I've been working for some time now as part of a team on a 2D HD action game that
> aims to capture and improve on some of the best of what the 80's arcade games gave
> us.
> Games like Shinobi, Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja, Shadow Warriors and other ninja arcade
> games are it's main inspiration.
> The project was in stealth mode, but now we feel it is in a state where we can made
> it's existence public.
>
> It is still WIP but we plan to have a working demo soon.
>
> Here is some in game pictures and characters:
> Demo level (WIP):
>
>
> Main Character "Dan":
>
>
> Ninja enemy "James":
>
>
> Hope you like it and I'll be happy to know what you think of it either here or on the
> game website http://www.shadowgangs.com
>
> Thank you!

Idea pop in my head. $1.99 or $4.99 for the blood, gore, save the game and controllers support. PC, Android and iOS.

Demo version only have one level to try out. Have non of that extra stuff.

You make money right off the bat.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Dullaron]
#346405 - 10/29/15 12:42 PM

> Idea pop in my head. $1.99 or $4.99 for the blood, gore, save the game and
> controllers support. PC, Android and iOS.
>
> Demo version only have one level to try out. Have non of that extra stuff.
>
> You make money right off the bat.

My philosophy for this game is to create a hardcore gamer game.
I don't consider it also as an homage, but as a continuation of these great playable games of the arcades and there really are few arcade games that are great if you look at how many arcade games there is.

If it sees the light, it won't be released in tablets or phone, maybe later as a conversion.
When I think of this game, I see arcade controllers, difficulty, responsiveness and exciting gameplay.

I have spent a long time studying games like Shinobi, looked at why Shadow Dancer is bad compared to it's predecessor, and found out some of the big ones.

Other games influences will be from Dragon Ninja, Shadow Warriors and more.

It will have new gameplay features for a platforming fighter, for example melee combos and more.

This game will aim for gameplay above everything else, we know what we want to do and we are focusing on bringing the best out of it.

In the course of creating it, I accepted and rejected many ideas and many sprite concepts that I can show one day, because my focus is to create a quality game, that people will enjoy.

I hope it will turn out this way in the end.

Dullaron
Send PM

#346498 - 10/31/15 07:34 PM

> > Idea pop in my head. $1.99 or $4.99 for the blood, gore, save the game and
> > controllers support. PC, Android and iOS.
> >
> > Demo version only have one level to try out. Have non of that extra stuff.
> >
> > You make money right off the bat.
>
> My philosophy for this game is to create a hardcore gamer game.
> I don't consider it also as an homage, but as a continuation of these great playable
> games of the arcades and there really are few arcade games that are great if you look
> at how many arcade games there is.
>
> If it sees the light, it won't be released in tablets or phone, maybe later as a
> conversion.
> When I think of this game, I see arcade controllers, difficulty, responsiveness and
> exciting gameplay.
>
> I have spent a long time studying games like Shinobi, looked at why Shadow Dancer is
> bad compared to it's predecessor, and found out some of the big ones.
>
> Other games influences will be from Dragon Ninja, Shadow Warriors and more.
>
> It will have new gameplay features for a platforming fighter, for example melee
> combos and more.
>
> This game will aim for gameplay above everything else, we know what we want to do and
> we are focusing on bringing the best out of it.
>
> In the course of creating it, I accepted and rejected many ideas and many sprite
> concepts that I can show one day, because my focus is to create a quality game, that
> people will enjoy.
>
> I hope it will turn out this way in the end.

A lot people gonna play it to the death. I like your idea. I will try it out.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#346642 - 11/04/15 12:38 AM

> When I think of this game, I see arcade controllers, difficulty, responsiveness and exciting gameplay.

> This game will aim for gameplay above everything else, we know what we want to do and we are focusing on bringing the best out of it...In the course of creating it, I accepted and rejected many ideas and many sprite concepts...

Thumbs up

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#347472 - 11/27/15 01:39 AM

I just received the first music track for Shadow Gangs, and I would like to share with you here.

I personally like it a lot, there another one in the works so I am not sure which of two will end up being in the demo.

I would like also to say that I started on the level design for the demo level.
As a demo level it will be a bit more complex than a simple level 1 and this is in order to give a little idea on what the game has to offer.

My next update will surely be about a video of the game, but meanwhile if you are interested I am posting updates on the website frequently.

Hope you like the music

blarg
Commie64-Nut
Reged: 07/01/07
Send PM

#347612 - 11/29/15 05:23 PM

Awesome arcade music, I love it! It manages to capture that 90s feeling of video game music, probably most reminiscent of sega megadrive style. If the game has that character and playability I`ll consider buying it.

Dullaron
Send PM

I bookmark your website. new [Re: shadowgangs]
#347619 - 11/29/15 10:59 PM

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: blarg]
#347622 - 11/29/15 11:42 PM

> Awesome arcade music, I love it! It manages to capture that 90s feeling of video game
> music, probably most reminiscent of sega megadrive style. If the game has that
> character and playability I`ll consider buying it.

Thanks, all game music will be of this quality or better.

We have a very talented musician who is also a great rock guitarist (and Dream Theater fanatic), I asked him to make music for Shadow Gangs and told him to listen to Ninja Warriors music, and to base the tempo on the Bad Dudes level 2 music, and make something great with these 2 references in mind.

This music title will still be perfected, drums improved as well as a possible real guitar play on it.

As for the gameplay it is my top priority, I can assure you all this game will play great, or it won't be released.

I started now on the level design, the demo will have one level only and have a reduced set of characters, but it will give an idea on what the game have to offer.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#347623 - 11/30/15 01:46 AM

hey, thanks for the news
hopefully soon a youtube demo video of the gameplay when you can please

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: grog]
#347645 - 11/30/15 07:30 PM

Thanks for the interest.

If all goes right I think the demo (and the video) will be ready in about a month time being optimistic, worst case scenario in about 3 months.

Edited by shadowgangs (11/30/15 07:56 PM)

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#348538 - 12/30/15 01:34 AM

Not yet a video, but I can see it in the horizon.

I started the Gui work after having done the game mechanics , being confident in them and having the demo level done.

The game demo is progressing well and I think you'll be happy to see some new updates.

Here is an actual in-game picture showing more action than the previous ones.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#348542 - 12/30/15 02:22 AM

> Not yet a video, but I can see it in the horizon.
>
> I started the Gui work after having done the game mechanics , being confident in them
> and having the demo level done.
>
> The game demo is progressing well and I think you'll be happy to see some new
> updates.
>
> Here is an actual in-game picture showing more action than the previous ones.

Why is Al from Tool Time locked up in a cage? I mean, I realize he didn't share Tim's desire for MORE POWER, ARRH ARRH ARRH, but that's no reason to be holding the guy against his will. The dude probably just wants to go back to his family, but he's got some Lawrence Fishburne-looking asshole shooting ping-pong balls at him. That poor man.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#348584 - 12/30/15 08:53 PM

> > Not yet a video, but I can see it in the horizon.
> >
> > I started the Gui work after having done the game mechanics , being confident in
> them
> > and having the demo level done.
> >
> > The game demo is progressing well and I think you'll be happy to see some new
> > updates.
> >
> > Here is an actual in-game picture showing more action than the previous ones.
>
> Why is Al from Tool Time locked up in a cage? I mean, I realize he didn't share Tim's
> desire for MORE POWER, ARRH ARRH ARRH, but that's no reason to be holding the guy
> against his will. The dude probably just wants to go back to his family, but he's got
> some Lawrence Fishburne-looking asshole shooting ping-pong balls at him. That poor
> man.

Dude in the cage is a hostage of the Shadow Gangs. His face is quite expressive of the experience he had with them .

For the projectile, that's not a bullet but the impact of it against the cage animation in it's last frames.

Edited by shadowgangs (12/30/15 08:54 PM)

Dullaron
Send PM

#348589 - 12/30/15 10:23 PM

> > > Not yet a video, but I can see it in the horizon.
> > >
> > > I started the Gui work after having done the game mechanics , being confident in
> > them
> > > and having the demo level done.
> > >
> > > The game demo is progressing well and I think you'll be happy to see some new
> > > updates.
> > >
> > > Here is an actual in-game picture showing more action than the previous ones.
> >
> > Why is Al from Tool Time locked up in a cage? I mean, I realize he didn't share
> Tim's
> > desire for MORE POWER, ARRH ARRH ARRH, but that's no reason to be holding the guy
> > against his will. The dude probably just wants to go back to his family, but he's
> got
> > some Lawrence Fishburne-looking asshole shooting ping-pong balls at him. That poor
> > man.
>
> Dude in the cage is a hostage of the Shadow Gangs. His face is quite expressive of
> the experience he had with them .
>
> For the projectile, that's not a bullet but the impact of it against the cage
> animation in it's last frames.

Now that is funny. I was thinking of Mankind (Mick Foley) from WWF/WWE. lol

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Nah, homeboy was xXx...... new [Re: Dullaron]
#348725 - 01/02/16 05:11 AM

I was just watching that, by the way. Started it a couple/few weeks ago, and it was fun for a bit, but after a half-hour it gets boring. Having seen a smidgen of the first Riddick, I had this idea Diesel was a dumbass....but apparently he was watching the original A-Team and was ape-ing B.A., cos he doesn't seem dumb at all in xXx. The story, though......

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#350061 - 02/08/16 02:45 AM

I thought I give a new Shadow Gangs update! Mameworld gets the first word about it, of course .

Product is near finished, a new great soundtrack is in the works, the musician sent me a new extract of it and it sounds fabulous. I'll put it for download as soon as I get it.

I know I always say a video is coming soon, or the demo soon...but this game is hard work and especially I want it to be the great product I am hoping it will be.

In any case, the demo should be out before the end of March.

Here is some pictures of the game running the latest build.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#350066 - 02/08/16 06:24 AM

> I thought I give a new Shadow Gangs update! Mameworld gets the first word about it,
> of course .

thanks. the game looks very good.

> Product is near finished, a new great soundtrack is in the works, the musician sent
> me a new extract of it and it sounds fabulous. I'll put it for download as soon as I
> get it.

can't wait to try the final product. can you please list the platforms Shadow Gangs will be available for? and what will be distribution model/price?

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: abelenki]
#350075 - 02/08/16 03:27 PM

> > I thought I give a new Shadow Gangs update! Mameworld gets the first word about it,
> > of course .
>
> thanks. the game looks very good.
>
> > Product is near finished, a new great soundtrack is in the works, the musician sent
> > me a new extract of it and it sounds fabulous. I'll put it for download as soon as
> I
> > get it.
>
> can't wait to try the final product. can you please list the platforms Shadow Gangs
> will be available for? and what will be distribution model/price?

This game will be on kickstarter soon, and it's success will depend on you guys if you end up liking it.
If you do please tell everyone you know might be interested about it to maximize the chances of getting it done.

Initial platforms are PC, and likely Mac and Linux.
Other platforms can be supported and will be part of stretch goals.

What I know is that there is tons of work to get this game done.
Especially that the plan is for 20 levels, and 5 bosses, so the pricing will be judged accordingly.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

thanks for the info [nt] new [Re: shadowgangs]
#350076 - 02/08/16 03:34 PM

> > > I thought I give a new Shadow Gangs update! Mameworld gets the first word about
> it,
> > > of course .
> >
> > thanks. the game looks very good.
> >
> > > Product is near finished, a new great soundtrack is in the works, the musician
> sent
> > > me a new extract of it and it sounds fabulous. I'll put it for download as soon
> as
> > I
> > > get it.
> >
> > can't wait to try the final product. can you please list the platforms Shadow Gangs
> > will be available for? and what will be distribution model/price?
>
> This game will be on kickstarter soon, and it's success will depend on you guys if
> you end up liking it.
> If you do please tell everyone you know might be interested about it to maximize the
> chances of getting it done.
>
> Initial platforms are PC, and likely Mac and Linux.
> Other platforms can be supported and will be part of stretch goals.
>
> What I know is that there is tons of work to get this game done.
> Especially that the plan is for 20 levels, and 5 bosses, so the pricing will be
> judged accordingly.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#350331 - 02/17/16 12:04 AM

Hi Everyone;

I would like to share with you some good news, this month's last weekend I will meet the game background artist Toni Galvez, and we'll be making videos of the game.

So an actual game video will be available before the end of this month.

Another great news, I received Shadow Gangs's second and final music track for the demo.

Please find it here, it manages to be even better than the first track, I kept listening to it the whole day and still do now.

It is an exciting prospect to imagine the whole game having music of this quality from start to finish, which was my objective but I feel lucky to work with such a talented artist.

For you guys that wanted a ninja instead of Dan, Dan will transform to a ninja (you'll still play Dan for those that like him the way he is now, but he will transform to a ninja mid level (so he can use the sword and other ninja powers).

Here an image showing Dan in ninja suit, as well as the first mission boss:

More detail on the news section of game website.

Hope you like it!

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

#350349 - 02/17/16 01:37 PM

Who's that boss? Shao Khan?

I would suggest you to reduce background lightning and to 'age' backgrounds a little bit more. It's still too clean and too colorful/vibrant/blend IMO. Increase the contrast between the background and the foreground characters, increase the overall shadow darkness. Hope it helps

You are doing great, keep movin'

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#350350 - 02/17/16 03:08 PM

> Who's that boss? Shao Khan?
>
> I would suggest you to reduce background lightning and to 'age' backgrounds a little
> bit more. It's still too clean and too colorful/vibrant/blend IMO. Increase the
> contrast between the background and the foreground characters, increase the overall
> shadow darkness. Hope it helps
>
> You are doing great, keep movin'

Thanks for your encouragements.

I know it's not a reply to your original remark, but the game will support all the resolutions the video card has, even the very lowest ones.

Some resolutions give a much more sharper picture, I did the screenshots using the highest one on my computer which is 1920*1080 which might have made the graphics look blurred a little.

The game native internal resolution is 1280*896. So if the video card supports this or any higher vertical resolution (896 and up) it will look sharper.

It also support wide and letterbox modes.

For the backgrounds, each artist has a certain style and Toni Galvez artistic style is in this kind of look (which I like a lot).

It can for sure made to look "dirtier" and more darker, we'll see what we can do for the potential full game.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#350661 - 02/25/16 02:07 AM

Hi Everyone;

Just a quick update, I received the final version of both Shadow Gangs music tracks.
Find them here:
Burning Fist
Shadow Gangs Theme

The video is of course coming this weekend!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (video) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: shadowgangs]
#350804 - 02/28/16 02:35 AM

Hi everyone;
Video is now available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_mo0soMqs

Edited by shadowgangs (02/28/16 02:38 AM)

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: (video) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: shadowgangs]
#350806 - 02/28/16 04:52 AM

> Hi everyone;
> Video is now available:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_mo0soMqs

Nice

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#350819 - 02/28/16 10:53 AM

> Hi everyone;
> Video is now available:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_mo0soMqs

My thoughts :
- We don't have to hear "Hugh !" every time the main character jumps, it's annoying after a while.
- When You turn back (start walking from right to left) the screen starts to scroll too fast
- Check Points should be at the quiet places, not in the middle of a fight
- Decrease the number of blows/kicks (10 is too much) needed for destroying the cage (rescuing people)

Everything else is so far, so good !
Keep up the good work

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (video) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: CTOJAH]
#350827 - 02/28/16 12:14 PM

Thank you for the remarks and feedback;

> - We don't have to hear "Hugh !" every time the main character jumps, it's annoying after a while.
Maybe added as an option? I'll make sure the final game to have it.

> - When You turn back (start walking from right to left) the screen starts to scroll too fast
Thanks, noted.

> - Check Points should be at the quiet places, not in the middle of a fight#
I agree, will make sure it is this way for the full game

> - Decrease the number of blows/kicks (10 is too much) needed for destroying the cage
> (rescuing people)
I also thought 10 might to a bit too much, this will be decreased (especially after a while it will become tedious).

>
> Everything else is so far, so good !
> Keep up the good work
Thank you.

XtraSmiley
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/28/04
Send PM

#351010 - 03/03/16 10:12 PM

Looks great, good work.

I disagree about the sound when you jump. A lot of 80's games had this kind of thing, and yes it was annoying, but also it helped keep that in your mind (sort of associated the game in your mind). I say keep it.

One thing I don't like is your font for the scores and UI as well as the buttons on the title screen. They look sort of very generic, and not 80's at all.

Great work either way!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (video) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: XtraSmiley]
#351012 - 03/03/16 10:45 PM

> Looks great, good work.
>
Thank you

> I disagree about the sound when you jump. A lot of 80's games had this kind of thing,
> and yes it was annoying, but also it helped keep that in your mind (sort of
> associated the game in your mind). I say keep it.
>
It will stay, but i don't mind having an option for it to turn it or on to cater to all tastes.

> One thing I don't like is your font for the scores and UI as well as the buttons on
> the title screen. They look sort of very generic, and not 80's at all.
>
Those are not final, just to put the demo out.
For the final game, these details will get the attention they deserve.

Also, there will be big shake up for the background graphics. You can get more details when visiting the website as I will put the objectives and areas to fix (for the eventual full game) now that I got enough feedback.

Edited by shadowgangs (03/03/16 10:45 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Looked and sounded fine to me..... new [Re: shadowgangs]
#351287 - 03/07/16 11:45 PM

I expected it to sound stupid or weak, kinda like the jump sound in Shinobi, but no.

Mbit
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/03/11
Send PM

#351389 - 03/09/16 10:50 PM

Some ideas:
* Make the boxes look a bit more worn, they look too shiny.
* Replace the platformy things to stand on seen at the near end with more realistic things to jump up on such as cars, barrels, fire ladders, ledges, pipes, the air conditioners, etc.
* Add variation to the caged prisoner such as tied up prisoner, chained prisoner, female prisoner, etc.
* Maybe let the dead opponents stay a split second longer before they vanish.

Keep up the good work!
This game looks great!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Legal issue? new [Re: shadowgangs]
#351397 - 03/10/16 12:37 AM

I'm going to go ahead and say this since it keeps coming back up in my mind...

Using the pic of Kim Kardashian's butt... I understand what you're going for here. But with copyright this and copyright that nowadays.... Are you sure you wouldn't get into any trouble with using that pic in your game? Like, for not having asked permission to use it, or crediting the source.... I don't know how all that works exactly, I just know that it's a touchy area.

I just wanted to mention this. I'd hate to see you release the game then get an email or letter from some lawyer demanding compensation because you threw in someone else's work into your own.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (video) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Mbit]
#351399 - 03/10/16 02:12 AM

> Some ideas:
> * Make the boxes look a bit more worn, they look too shiny.
> * Replace the platformy things to stand on seen at the near end with more realistic
> things to jump up on such as cars, barrels, fire ladders, ledges, pipes, the air
> conditioners, etc.
> * Add variation to the caged prisoner such as tied up prisoner, chained prisoner,
> female prisoner, etc.
In the full game we will have many varied assets and platform variations, like those you listed and more.
Also the prisoners will be more varied ( and better animated ).

I am paying the artists to do the art assets, and it cost me a lot.

If the kickstarter is a success, then the money will go into making better assets, more varied and in bigger quantity.

As well as having an art director that will work full time on the game.

> * Maybe let the dead opponents stay a split second longer before they vanish.
>
Yes, and have better release animation. I will add a bit longer time for the fade out.

> Keep up the good work!
> This game looks great!
Thank you.
Because I got a lot of remarks regarding the backgrounds, I am now trying to do a final push towards the kickstarter.

I have 3 artists that will independently make new backgrounds from scratch for this demo.
And in the end choose the best background of the 3 (or 4 as I am in discussion with a 4th one).

A new video will be released with the new backgrounds, and the demo at the same time and the kickstarter soon after.

And if the kickstarter is successful, then this game will just get better and better: bosses, levels, hero transformation, music, bonus levels, new gameplay elements, different enemies (with new behaviours not related to Shinobi), better AI, ninjettes etc...

Stay tuned .

Edited by shadowgangs (03/10/16 02:21 AM)

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Legal issue? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#351400 - 03/10/16 02:18 AM

> I'm going to go ahead and say this since it keeps coming back up in my mind...
>
> Using the pic of Kim Kardashian's butt... I understand what you're going for here.
> But with copyright this and copyright that nowadays.... Are you sure you wouldn't get
> into any trouble with using that pic in your game? Like, for not having asked
> permission to use it, or crediting the source.... I don't know how all that works
> exactly, I just know that it's a touchy area.
>
> I just wanted to mention this. I'd hate to see you release the game then get an email
> or letter from some lawyer demanding compensation because you threw in someone else's
> work into your own.
Thank you, yes Kim will get removed and replaced by an anonymous girl (in jeans and naked top), more safe for work and will avoid any copyright issues.

This is part of the new game backgrounds that should be ready I hope by the end of this month.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#351410 - 03/10/16 05:27 AM

> > Some ideas:

I don't know if this is already in your game, but would there be a special bonus if you clear a stage without using Shurikens/Throwing Stars? I know for certain that's the way it is in Shadow Dancer (I can't recall if it's like that in Shinobi, but it seems like it would be).

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (video) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#351429 - 03/10/16 03:14 PM

> > > Some ideas:
>
>
> I don't know if this is already in your game, but would there be a special bonus if
> you clear a stage without using Shurikens/Throwing Stars? I know for certain that's
> the way it is in Shadow Dancer (I can't recall if it's like that in Shinobi, but it
> seems like it would be).

Yes, Shinobi had it too, bonus for not using projectiles, and bonus for not using magic.

Shadow Gangs will have the same. (The demo has it actually).
The idea is that this will drive competitive play, risk taking and score beating.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#352412 - 04/03/16 10:57 PM

I thought I'll give a new Shadow Gangs update.

The game is being updated every day, the new backgrounds are under way and they will look nothing like the originals. They will be very detailed and will have an extra parallax layer that will add a lot of atmosphere to the game.

Shadow Warriors is now my inspiration in relation to the backgrounds variations and amount of static object, so expect a completely different and better looking backgrounds.

Other fixes are related to engine fixes, 3 checkpoints instead of 1, new knifeman with a new flying attack type, better AI, fixed camera, some prone guys will now stand up when Dan is near (not all will stand up!) and many fixes and new features have gone in.

I leave you with Dan in ninja form, hope you like it:

and the end boss of one of the games mission (yes, Freddy!):

Development is still going on, stay tuned!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#354209 - 05/13/16 12:31 AM

Hi Everyone;

Finally I am proud to present the new Shadow Gangs, with new backgrounds (pictures bellow), and many more fixes and enhancements that pictures can't convey.

I am also excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo, and the new and final pre Kickstarter video will be both available at the same time at the end of next week, Saturday or Sunday, most probably Sunday 22nd of May.

Aside from preparing the demo, I will now prepare for the kickstarter campaign. To this end, I am going to dress up in big detail what

Shadow Gangs is about, what enemies are there, what levels, what new weapons can Dan and his ninja form use, how they can use it, and what

the ninja form add to Dan capability wise.

Rendez-vous at the end of next week, the demo will be available then for download (pc version), and a new video and final video will be uploaded, and I will also announce the kickstarter date!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: shadowgangs]
#354554 - 05/22/16 09:09 AM

I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads section here.

It's the PC version, it should run fine on a 1ghz PC with Intel graphics, but let me know if you have any issues running it.

You may need to install Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable here if the Demo won't start, I didn't need to but just in case.

A new video has been uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-ZpxWKEaQ

A new great music track is also available, here or in the downloads section. It's included in the demo and can be heard if you finish the demo.

The kickstarter date is now set, it's the 25th of June 2016. If you liked the demo and want this game to materialise, please contribute to the crowdfunding.

These kind of games like Shadow Gangs won't be brought back by big game companies, or the likes of Sega, Capcom etc...., they all seem to have moved to 3D and other new fancy gameplay styles etc..., so don't wait for them to release something like Shadow Gangs.

Also feedback on the game all over the internet, here in Mameworld and friends has been very important, and this new demo is showing that.
Apart from the new backgrounds, many enhancements and fixes have gone in.

I really hope you enjoy it!

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: shadowgangs]
#354556 - 05/22/16 09:47 AM

> I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads
> section here.

i just played the demo. good game!! feels very much like Shinobi.

gamepads are not supported now, but i easily played it with Xbox 360 controller via JoyToKey.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: abelenki]
#354557 - 05/22/16 11:10 AM

> > I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads
> > section here.
>
> i just played the demo. good game!! feels very much like Shinobi.
>
> gamepads are not supported now, but i easily played it with Xbox 360 controller via
> JoyToKey.

That good to know it worked fine.
I didn't test it on many PC's and I was a bit worried.
With all the windows OS's out there and different graphic cards.

Great also you can use a Joystick for it

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#354597 - 05/24/16 03:17 AM

Looks good, mostly.

Exceptions:

- the character death. That delay, which gets longer if you're in flight, is bizarre. I think it should be: hit, and crumple and 'oaahh' at the same time, and hit the ground. Two seconds tops. Oh, and don't stop the music during it.

- Shinobi had a sort of 'freebie' hit, that if you bumped into a baddie, you'd get pushed back. I don't think I'm seeing that here

Also, it seems really easy to get conked by a leg slice or, epsecially, kick. That sucks in Shinobi, but seems worse here.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Traso]
#354605 - 05/24/16 09:36 AM

> Looks good, mostly.
>
> Exceptions:
>
> - the character death. That delay, which gets longer if you're in flight, is bizarre.
> I think it should be: hit, and crumple and 'oaahh' at the same time, and hit the
> ground. Two seconds tops. Oh, and don't stop the music during it.
The die animation is not complete in the demo, I didn't like the remaining sprites the sprite artist did for it, so I didn't include them and made the character fade while standing. He's normally have 4 or 3 more frames where he lay completely in the ground.
This area is not final and will be fixed.
>
> - Shinobi had a sort of 'freebie' hit, that if you bumped into a baddie, you'd get
> pushed back. I don't think I'm seeing that here
>
It is there everywhere in demo video, countless of times

>
> Also, it seems really easy to get conked by a leg slice or, epsecially, kick. That
> sucks in Shinobi, but seems worse here.
what do you mean, can you give me exact second on the video please?
This can be fixed if it is an actual issue.
In any case, this is just a demo. Many many fixes and changes will be done between now and an eventual game release.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#354677 - 05/25/16 09:57 PM

> > Also, it seems really easy to get conked by a leg slice or, epsecially, kick. That sucks in Shinobi, but seems worse here.

> what do you mean, can you give me exact second on the video please?

At least two of the deaths in the first few minutes of the vid are cheap-seeming leg slashes.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Traso]
#354690 - 05/25/16 11:22 PM

> > > Also, it seems really easy to get conked by a leg slice or, epsecially, kick.
> That sucks in Shinobi, but seems worse here.
>
> > what do you mean, can you give me exact second on the video please?
>
>
> At least two of the deaths in the first few minutes of the vid are cheap-seeming leg
> slashes.

Thanks, I was also wondering if leg and in general limb wounds are fair death or not.
I will revise this issue in a next update.

Meanwhile I received enough feedback about the difficulty being too hard even in easy mode, so I added 3 more checkpoints on all difficulty modes, and lessened the number of dangerous situations in Easy mode.

It should be an easy ride now . (In easy, other modes are still challenging).

New demo version available at the same place here.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#354722 - 05/26/16 04:45 PM

I love the music and art, and I have 1 1/2 observations:

- The character deaths, both of the player and the enemies, are weird even by 1980s standards. I'd like them to end up lying down on the ground before they fade out.

- The 80s-style low-frame-count animations look weird with the modern hi-def artwork (that said, thank you for not giving in to the pixel fad!). I'd love it if there was some way to get smoother animations in the final, without compromising responsiveness of course.

Will Kickstart this though.

Edited by R. Belmont (05/26/16 04:47 PM)

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: R. Belmont]
#354732 - 05/26/16 06:28 PM

Thanks for your feedback.
> I love the music and art, and I have 1 1/2 observations:
>
> - The character deaths, both of the player and the enemies, are weird even by 1980s
> standards. I'd like them to end up lying down on the ground before they fade out.
>
I'll make sure all character lay on ground before the fade starts.
Characters will have frames added to them to achieve this.

There was even a suggestion to leave dead bodies on the scene, which I will try to test and see how it looks and it might end up this way.

> - The 80s-style low-frame-count animations look weird with the modern hi-def artwork
> (that said, thank you for not giving in to the pixel fad!). I'd love it if there was
> some way to get smoother animations in the final, without compromising responsiveness
> of course.
>
It will be a matter of adding more frames but responsiveness won't be affected.
Thanks for pointing this out, I certainly won't be able to double the frames for each character because this will also double the budget.

But I think there is some animations that need more frames and will benefit from it and I'll make sure for the final game that at least all animations seem natural.

I think now the death animations, and some hit animations suffer from low frame count.

This will be rectified for existing characters, and for new ones I'll make sure they won't suffer from this issue.

> Will Kickstart this though.
Thank you.

While I am preparing for the Kick, I wanted to say something, Shadow Gangs will bring one unused Shinobi character alive again.

I am not sure what Sega plans were for it, but we'll invent for him some role.

It's the red beret machine gun guy that shows up on one of the Shinobi flyers and that wasn't included in the final game.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#354831 - 05/28/16 05:48 AM

Love it!! I'll definitely be on Kickstarter June 25.

Found a couple more issues, though:

--When you jump on the tires, then it goes to the "cutscene" where the red ninja first comes out:

------ That full scene replays everytime, until you get a little past that point. Not sure if that is intentional or not.

------ On one particular life, I hesitated for a second. I hadn't gone forward enough to trigger the red ninja, but the bad guy to my left knifed me as I was still on the tires. It started the slo-mo of the death animation, but him killing me also pushed me forward enough that it started the animation for the red ninja. So... that entire scene played out in death-slo-mo mode... took it almost a minute to complete. After that finished, then my character finally finished his death animation and died.

But yeah... I'm excited on the progress!!!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Mr. Do]
#354843 - 05/28/16 01:35 PM

> Love it!! I'll definitely be on Kickstarter June 25.
>
Thanks a lot.

> Found a couple more issues, though:
>
> --When you jump on the tires, then it goes to the "cutscene" where the red ninja
> first comes out:
>
> ------ That full scene replays everytime, until you get a little past that point. Not
> sure if that is intentional or not.
>
It is intentional, if you kill the cutscene ninja, it won't play again.
Now, I am not sure, if this is annoying then I can make cutscenes to play only once (for the next demo update and the eventual full game).

> ------ On one particular life, I hesitated for a second. I hadn't gone forward enough
> to trigger the red ninja, but the bad guy to my left knifed me as I was still on the
> tires. It started the slo-mo of the death animation, but him killing me also pushed
> me forward enough that it started the animation for the red ninja. So... that entire
> scene played out in death-slo-mo mode... took it almost a minute to complete. After
> that finished, then my character finally finished his death animation and died.
>
Yes, looks like the knife guy did a jump stab and you were not touching ground at that moment, which led to Dan to be pushed back and triggering the cutsene in slo-mo.

Never saw this cutscene in slo-mo, would love to

I'll make sure to fix this for the coming update.

Thank you for your feedback.

Edited by shadowgangs (05/28/16 01:36 PM)

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355741 - 06/17/16 01:16 AM

Hi everyone;

I uploaded a new video of me playing in hard mode with melee only (mostly, one miss near the end), and no deaths.

The game also had a speed increase for Dan (and some enemies to keep the balance), as well as sharper melee attacks.
I think it plays much better than before.

Also fixed some issues raised in here (the ones that can be fixed before the kickstarter, the leg hits which were unfair).
Many other fixes has gone in.

In relation to the kickstarter, Dan in ninja form will have an assault rifle as projectile weapon, I think it's much better this way than having some kind of fire shuriken or super shuriken or the like.

Here is the video that I wanted to do before the kickstarter to show the game potential more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRUY-PzgsH4

Edited by shadowgangs (06/17/16 01:16 AM)

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#355744 - 06/17/16 01:59 AM

hey, great video, certainly looks like a fun game

couple of questions:

1. i was wondering, the bright lights of the lamp-posts.. can they be smashed? (for fun )

2. will there be any explosions in the final game (eg. maybe someone throws bombs, or landmines to jump over, exploding barrel's, dynamite.. hand grenades? etc)

looking forward to kickstarter!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Demo) Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: grog]
#355764 - 06/17/16 12:51 PM

> 1. i was wondering, the bright lights of the lamp-posts.. can they be smashed? (for
> fun )

Not the lamp post in the demo, I think we should of have made destructible too.
What can be destroyed in the demo are the climatisations, wall lights and satellite dishes.

For the full game, there will much much more destructible objects, and they will be designed to fit the level they are in (Newyork, Japan, France etc...)

For the kickstarter, I have 4 artists:
- One will have a job to do HUD, GUI, special effects, and all game destructibles.
- Another the bakcgrounds
- Another all the game sprites including bosses (The red ninja, Dan and Freddy artist will do them all, I have reached an agreement with him in case the kickstarter is succesful to do all the game sprites (including replacing the gunman which is a very important character and want a better version of him (gunman was done by another artist, along the knife man and the biker type character. Knifeman and biker are ok I believe so they will stay)).

He will also work fulltime on the project until all the work in done.

-Another artist will do all the in-game illustrations.

> 2. will there be any explosions in the final game (eg. maybe someone throws bombs, or
> landmines to jump over, exploding barrel's, dynamite.. hand grenades? etc)
Yes, there will be lots of explosions, and many new enemies.
Dan will be able to use special weapons (as bonus one time usage weapons), and also will be able to do magic attacks.
These bonuses will be scattered around the level, mostly in destructible objects, and hidden places (sometimes out of reach until you transform to the ninja form (as the ninja can do double jumps), and also hidden with hostages.

I tried to have each special weapon do something different, with different effects, and different outcome. To keep all of them different, and so that there is no overlap between them.

Here is the list:

***Weapon pickups***
- Mine: help clear an area before you venture in, effective against walking gang members.

- Grenade: effective especially when targeting many ground enemies who are close to each other.

- Rocket launcher: clears your path of all enemies.

- Laser drone: Ultimate pickup weapon, flying AI helper, that fires laser on Dan enemies.

***Magic attacks***

Magic attacks are more powerful than special weapons, and can help Dan overcome difficult situations (like being surrounded by enemies and or enemy fire).

- Clock: Freeze all enemies for 10 seconds.

- Acid rain: Death from above.

- Apple: Physically throw enemies surrounding you some meters away to clear you from a dangerous situation.

- Kanji attack: Flying Kanji characters that hit all enemies in your area.

> looking forward to kickstarter!
Thank you.
There will also be stretch goals for the Sega Dreamcast version, the Xbox one, PS4 and Vita versions.

And one final stretch goal that will add a 6th bonus mission which will be fought on ancient Greece with Zeus as end game boss. Not part of the story of Shadow Gangs but a kind of fantasy mission.

Edited by shadowgangs (06/17/16 12:51 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355792 - 06/18/16 01:12 AM

> And one final stretch goal that will add a 6th bonus mission which will be fought on ancient Greece with Zeus as end game boss. Not part of the story of Shadow Gangs but a kind of fantasy mission.

Cute. Like Goro, but worse?

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355793 - 06/18/16 01:31 AM

> > And one final stretch goal that will add a 6th bonus mission which will be fought
> on ancient Greece with Zeus as end game boss. Not part of the story of Shadow Gangs
> but a kind of fantasy mission.
>
>
> Cute. Like Goro, but worse?

Yes, like Goro , but the difference is this mission will start after the real Shadow Gangs end game boss (which will be in Japan inside mount Fuji).

Actually, here is the 6 missions (and funding asking prices):

Mission 1 New York:
Broadway street
Verrazano bridge
Down Statue of Liberty
Top of Statue of Liberty (samurai boss)

Mission 2 Paris:
Latin street
Underground Metro
Eiffel tower
Boss battle on top of Eiffel tower

Mission 3 China:
Gobi desert train
China street
Temple
Temple hidden underground room boss battle

Up to here, this will be the basic version of the game, with no bonus stage. Funding goal will Ł18,500 ( around $25,550 )

Mission 4 California:
Standford university
Death Valley
Blue Oyster Bar
Bar dancing boss battle (Freddy)

Mission 5 Japan:
Big Buddha level
Himeji Castle
Mount Fuji
Inside the mountain final boss battle

Up to here, the full experience of Shadow Gangs, with the bonus stage. Goal at Ł28,500 (around $40,000)

next is the Sega Dreamcast version (Ł36,500)
then consoles version (PS4, XB1, Vita, Android) (Ł56,500).

Mission 6 ancient Greece (bonus mission):
Crete
Acropolis of Athens
Temple of Zeus
Boss battle with Zeus.

Mission 6 will be the last goal at Ł72,500 (around $100,000)

I personally get nothing until the Dreamcast goal, and most of the $ will go to the artists (and the consoles programmer(s)).

Elapido
Lurker
Reged: 04/10/04
Send PM

#355889 - 06/22/16 05:08 PM

It looks good. It must be pretty hard to draw high res bitmaps. Congratulations for your work. I'll try the demo tonight at home. One thing I would improve is the main character's animations. Consider that most of the time you are looking at your character and the way he moves is as important as the way he looks.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Elapido]
#355893 - 06/22/16 07:12 PM

> It looks good. It must be pretty hard to draw high res bitmaps. Congratulations for
> your work. I'll try the demo tonight at home. One thing I would improve is the main
> character's animations. Consider that most of the time you are looking at your
> character and the way he moves is as important as the way he looks.

There will be more anim frames added (like for death animations and others), but I don't think there will much improvements to the animations poses themselves for Dan in his current form.

If you can wait for the next demo version on the 25th (version 0.12), as it will have some improvement over the currently downloadable one (version 0.11).

I would like to say more about the improvements:

Here is the full list of improvement the eventual full version will have compared to the demo, I took this from the WIP Kickstarter page:

More animation frames: Existing character will get animations frames boosts where there is a perceived lack of smoothness. Death animations in particular. New characters to be developed won't suffer from this issue.

Special effects: More better looking special effects will be added, and existing ones greatly improved. For example gun flashes and bullets will look much better visually. Hit effects will be added, lots of explosions are to be expected etc...We'll make sure the special effects side of the game is a top priority.

Sound effects: All existing sounds will be revised, and enhanced. New and better sounds added. We'll have more time and resources to make the sound effects of the game as great as possible.

Destructible objects: Many more types will be added, and they will be specific to the level setting. They'll also hide special bonuses (and benefit from the special effects enhancements).

Dan death animation: Dan death animation will be completed properly, he will die laying on the ground and not standing as in the demo. The reason it is this way in the demo is I didn't like the subsequent frames of the death animation that I got.

Enemies death: All enemies will lay on the ground after death before fading, with a possibility of keeping dead bodies forever on the scene (if it happens to look good).

Hostages: No more one hostage type, there will be now a much wider variety of hostages, young, elderly, tied up prisoners, chained prisoners, blondes , brunettes etc...Dan will get a motivation boost!

Moving platforms: from small platforms, to trains, cars, elevators and other surprises.

Attract mode: will be added to the start and main menu screens.

As well as a special boot mode and CRT monitor support for arcade cabinet owners.

About the Kickstarter, there is some changes. Shadow Gangs will target the full game experience for it's target funding, instead of a 3 mission cut down version.
So the full experience will be part of the minimum funding which will be Ł28,500 around less than $40,000

5 missions, 20 levels and one bonus stage.

The next stretch goal will be the consoles versions at Ł52,500 (PS4, X1, Vita and the Sega Dreamcast).

Last stretch goal Ł72,500, mission 6 in Greece with battle with Zeus, a bonus mission with no relation to the Shadow Gangs "story".

More info and details on the Kickstarter, 25th June.

Edited by shadowgangs (06/22/16 07:13 PM)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

#355901 - 06/23/16 03:40 AM

What is the system requirements to play this game?

Will it run on a P4, 3.0 GHz, 1 GB memory, Win XP 32-bit?

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Big Karnak]
#355908 - 06/23/16 01:52 PM

> What is the system requirements to play this game?
>
> Will it run on a P4, 3.0 GHz, 1 GB memory, Win XP 32-bit?

The next demo on Kickstarter date will come in a Win XP version.

The game should run on a 1GHZ cpu at full frame rate, 1 GB is enough too.
It need an opengl card to work.

One issue you may encounter will be the maximum texture size supported by the video card (which I assume might be old?). I didn't optimise much in relation to this issue for the demo.

But this is something that will be taken into account in the eventual full version.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: shadowgangs]
#355932 - 06/24/16 08:43 PM

Hi everyone;

I am excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs Kickstarter now live here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858040208/shadow-gangs-80s-ninja-arcade-action-revival

Please share the news! and thank you!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: shadowgangs]
#355986 - 06/27/16 01:15 PM

Just to let everyone that might be interested in the game that the amounts required got cut down to approximately 50% on all rewards.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#355990 - 06/27/16 07:33 PM

> Just to let everyone that might be interested in the game that the amounts required
> got cut down to approximately 50% on all rewards.

This ain't gonna be suxxessful - You desperately need one thing : ADVERTISEMENT !
Oh, I almost forgot - Good luck - You'll neeg that, too

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: CTOJAH]
#355997 - 06/27/16 10:15 PM

> > Just to let everyone that might be interested in the game that the amounts required
> > got cut down to approximately 50% on all rewards.
>
> This ain't gonna be suxxessful - You desperately need one thing : ADVERTISEMENT !
> Oh, I almost forgot - Good luck - You'll neeg that, too

Maybe...or maybe i am old and disconnected from what today's gamers really like...

Or maybe it's a bad game...but I didn't get this impression really judging from people feedback here and on other sites.

I don't want to loose hope yet, and I will try some paid Facebook advertisements before giving up.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356000 - 06/27/16 11:23 PM

> I don't want to loose hope yet, and I will try some paid Facebook advertisements before giving up.

I don't know as Facebook is the way to get this known about. Aren't there any Shinobi fan-boy forums and all?

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: Traso]
#356005 - 06/27/16 11:51 PM

> > I don't want to loose hope yet, and I will try some paid Facebook advertisements
> before giving up.
>
>
> I don't know as Facebook is the way to get this known about. Aren't there any Shinobi
> fan-boy forums and all?

I couldn't find one specific to Shinobi.

Coming to think about it, I am not sure if the problem is the main character? maybe if I started it directly as a ninja things might have been different.

Maybe I might have the courage and moral to do the ninja form in case it fails the Kickstarter the first time...

I may do it but then it might take another year or so, the time for me to calm down, save some money for artists and find energy and motivation again.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356013 - 06/28/16 07:42 AM

Not Shinobi, but those kinds of games - like there are scroller and fighter forums.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: Traso]
#356022 - 06/28/16 06:47 PM

> Not Shinobi, but those kinds of games - like there are scroller and fighter forums.

I'll have a look, thanks

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#356023 - 06/28/16 06:48 PM

> I don't want to loose hope yet, and I will try some paid Facebook advertisements
> before giving up.

Christ. Have you ever even heard of a thing called Steam Greenlight? Do you know anything about publishing indie titles?

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#356026 - 06/28/16 08:00 PM

Honestly, I don't like the look of the main character and would prefer he was in a Ninja outfit from the start. That being said, I like what I'm seeing/hearing so far. Graphics are nice. Music is good. Would like to see some more animation going on, but you've already said thats in the works.

I plan on backing it when I get paid

Mix a bit of Ninja Gaiden (NES style) in with the Shinobi if you can!

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#356028 - 06/28/16 08:22 PM

> Christ. Have you ever even heard of a thing called Steam Greenlight?
It's on Greenlight for about 3 months now.
I made a mistake and started the greenlight when the game was having the old graphics...

Still if it get a lot of Kickstarter backers, and these backers vote for it, it will be greenlit.

> Do you know anything about publishing indie titles?
To be honest, no.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: DiodeDude]
#356029 - 06/28/16 08:43 PM

> Honestly, I don't like the look of the main character and would prefer he was in a
> Ninja outfit from the start.
Ninja form will be something, with extra abilities, sword and rifle, the feeling and look of Shadow Gangs will get boosted.
It will be drawn by the same artist who did Dan and the ninjas and Freddy.

He'll also do all the coming characters and bosses without exception, and replace the gunmnan.

I am not planning to throw Dan in his fighter form, I got used to it and can't see Shadow Gangs without him
It will be showing the weaker side of the main characters once the new ninja form is ready.

> I plan on backing it when I get paid
Thank you!

> Mix a bit of Ninja Gaiden (NES style) in with the Shinobi if you can!
The game will be influenced by the 80's ninja games (and not so ninja) either in gameplay or characters, scenery etc...

Ninja Gaiden arcade has already influenced the platforming part and mural girl, and destructible objects.

I'll need to play the NES version as I am not familiar with, I am sure there will be good things to be inspired from for Shadow Gangs.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#356032 - 06/28/16 10:13 PM

Couple of observations:

1. When jumping up to a platform that is the highest he can reach, have him grab onto the platform and pull himself up, vs. the jet pack jump he currently does. IMO, this would look better.

2. Randomize the looks of the hostages.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: DiodeDude]
#356033 - 06/28/16 10:30 PM

> 1. When jumping up to a platform that is the highest he can reach, have him grab onto
> the platform and pull himself up, vs. the jet pack jump he currently does. IMO, this
> would look better.
Like in Shadow Warriors, grabbing on scenery, platforms etc...
I like the idea but will need to see how it will affect the gameplay.
If implemented, this will be in conjunction with the changing planes jump feature.

We can push this further and have Dan do the tight rope walk with hand too, as it involve grabbing.

This will also mean adding melee attacks while grabbing into platforms.

It will push the game then more into the Shadow Warriors area...

I am not against it. I will need to look deeper into this, and see if it is compatible with the overall vision I have for this game.

One of the invariants of Shadow Gangs is the one hit/death, bumping on enemies, close melee attacks and changing planes jump.

Everything else can change or be added.

> 2. Randomize the looks of the hostages.
They will.
In the eventual full version, there will a wide variety of hostages with powerups etc...
I detailed this more on the Kickstarter page.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#356034 - 06/28/16 11:36 PM

Perhaps give Dan two abilities while hanging from a platform:

1. Swinging backflip up onto platform kick.
2. Grab enemy leg and yank them to their death.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356038 - 06/29/16 12:28 AM

> Perhaps give Dan two abilities while hanging from a platform:
>
> 1. Swinging backflip up onto platform kick.
> 2. Grab enemy leg and yank them to their death.
Good ideas.
If we get to complete the game, I'll start on doing the ninja form first and fix it's gameplay.
Then, I'll look into the platform grabbing gameplay element, and see how it will fit into the whole picture and then decide on it.

Before moving into the new enemies and their animations and AI.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356052 - 06/29/16 06:56 AM

> > Not Shinobi, but those kinds of games - like there are scroller and fighter forums.
>
>
> I'll have a look, thanks

Hell, get with Mark over at Classic Gameroom. I bet he'll go apeshit for it, and he's got a lot of attention on him. And so on.... For that matter, you could try Patreon.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356055 - 06/29/16 08:07 AM

> Hell, get with Mark over at Classic Gameroom. I bet he'll go apeshit for it, and he's
> got a lot of attention on him.
Thank you. I sent him an a message on both his website and youtube.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356833 - 07/23/16 01:02 PM

Hi Everyone;

The Shadow Gangs kickstarter is in it's final hours, and I would like to let anyone who is interested but hesitated for some reasons about

the enhancements and changes that the full version will have:

-If the graphic style is an issue, there will be filters available to add scanlines or any other full screen shader effects that are available already for emulators like Mame, Winuare etc...

-Also concerning the graphics, all the characters will be drawn by the same artist who did Dan and the ninajs, this will ensure coherent art and of higher quality.

-The animations frames will be double or tripled in some animation types (dying animation and others).

-A lot of special effects will be added, some using shaders or with added shaders. Blood, bullet trails, better bullet effects, hit effets, smoke etc...these will make the screen busier.

-If you didn't like the game because of lack of diversity, there will be a lot more interactions, Dan will have an inventory to store sepcial weapons and sepcial attacks (magic), there will be elements of search, recovering money, freeying all types of hostages, some elements of adventure/exploration too like using the ninja double jump to get to secret areas.

-The ninja form will allow Dan to take one hit without dying (but will cause him to revert to his fighter form). Also the ninja form will be available at about 10 to 15% of the level start. This will put the difficult a lot down.

-And many many more enhancements and fixes. A full list is in the Kickstarter page.

I would like also to ask you to actually play the current demo, to get a real feel of the game and see it actually on your screen not just on videos.

Also, if the game succeeds the Kickstarter, all backers without exception will get regular milestone builds.

Bellow is the new Dan as ninja which is being done now by the sprite artist, and the first frames of the attack drone.

Thanks everyone

Edited by shadowgangs (07/23/16 01:09 PM)

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#359598 - 10/11/16 10:03 PM

Hi everyone;

I didn't post any update from the time of the Kickstarter end, but I would to let you know that Shadow Gangs development is ongoing.

The scope of the game, and the quality is also getting a big lift, with many improvements and enhancements.

Also, now it will be more an action/adventure, with many secrets to find/items to use, than a pure action game.

Above is the mission 4 boss (actual in-game sprite), more info and updates on the website.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#359660 - 10/15/16 01:05 AM

Very sad to see your KS didn't get more funds .... a very deserving project. I hope you do well with the game. All the best for the future !!

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#359669 - 10/15/16 07:22 PM

> That's an excellent idea!
> It reminds me of some ninja movies of the 80's where people start fighting normally,
> and the when things get ugly they transform to ninjas .
> This also means that Dan in his UFC outfit will loose the sword and I like it that
> way.

Does anyone here remember the "American Ninja" movies?

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs, 80's ninja arcade action revival new [Re: Moose]
#359673 - 10/15/16 10:28 PM

> Very sad to see your KS didn't get more funds .... a very deserving project. I hope
> you do well with the game. All the best for the future !!

Thanks a lot!

There will be a last kickstarter once we have the new demo ready.
The game will move forward towards completion in any case, even if the next Kickstarter fails.

The artists now are working on finishing all the game's characters, and levels too.

There will be more variety, 4 special weapons (each with it's own non overlapping effect, each will have it's use), 4 special powers (each doing different kind of damage, and some stronger than others), many enemies including females, flying and non humans ones.
4 different hostage types, each with different methods needed to free them.

There will be exploration, action adventure like Gods (Bitmap Brothers game) and a some castlevania, as well as huge update in the special effects department.

All sprites are now done by one and the same artist, and the old sprites already replaced.

When in fighter mode, you don't have special powers and can't use special weapons, and can't do double jump.

When transforming to ninja, it opens the way to all these new abilities as well as having a more powerful machine gun, and sword attacks.

If you get hit while ninja, you morph back to fighter, and you either try to finish the level as a fighter, or explore and find the ninja transformation item (if there is one still around, or the program spawns one to you as he sees that you are struggling to finish the level and would like to help!).

The next demo version will have all this, and the real full game is in production in parallel.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Something that bugs me.... new [Re: shadowgangs]
#359677 - 10/16/16 02:42 AM

The ninja using a machine guN has never made sense too me.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: Something that bugs me.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#359678 - 10/16/16 03:23 AM

> The ninja using a machine guN has never made sense too me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Assault

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game new [Re: Master O]
#359679 - 10/16/16 03:24 AM

> Does anyone here remember the "American Ninja" movies?

with Michael Dudikoff? i enjoyed them, when i was a child.

shadowgangs
MAME Fan
Send PM

#361394 - 12/18/16 11:21 PM

Hi everyone;

I would like to show some new progress pictures.
Showing mission 4 boss, also more pictures on the website.

The task ahead is huge but the game is progressing step by step towards completion one day.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >>

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 15955