View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dolemite007
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/25/15
Send PM

Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question
#346258 - 10/25/15 09:07 PM

Hey, new user here, dummy, lolnoob, and so on. Hope everyone is having a swell day.

I looked around, but I didn't find the answer to this question. I'm sure the answer is here somewhere, but I ain't seein' it. So, I hope someone can assist with this minor annoyance I'm experiencing.

Anyway, quick question. I recently ungraded to MAME64 version 0.142. My old version of MAME used to display all of my ROMs in a menu that I could easily scroll through, but this new version just displays a short list of random games - not all of them just one screen's worth, with no option to scroll - and that's it. There's a search box at the top where I can type in letters or game titles that works fine, but is there any way to config 0.142 to display all my ROMs in one scroll-able master list so I don't have to memorize all the games that I have? Having to manually search for ROMs is annoying.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Dolemite007]
#346259 - 10/25/15 11:54 PM

First, why did you "upgrade" to a version that's two years old now? Second, you're confusing MAME and MAMEUI. You downloaded MAME, but you should have downloaded MAMEUI. Get MAMEUI, do yourself a favor and get the actual latest version, then do yourself another favor and get an updated romset from PleasureDome, because you'll probably need it.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#346261 - 10/26/15 02:29 AM

> First, why did you "upgrade" to a version that's two years old now?

2? try 4....

Dolemite007
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Haze]
#346263 - 10/26/15 04:12 AM

MooglyGuy- Thanks for the schooling. I appreciate it. I'll look into that now.

Haze- Try reading. The guy above you just said the same thing. Repeating it just makes you look like a douche, which you most likely are IRL.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#346270 - 10/26/15 06:09 AM

WTF?

Had to read that twice just to be sure...LOL

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#346273 - 10/26/15 06:59 AM

> Haze- Try reading. The guy above you just said the same thing.

Dolemite007 - try reading Haze is correcting MooglyGuy, not you: MAME 0.142 is 4 years old, not 2. Specifically, it was released April 3rd, 2011.

And now am I going to be guilty of being a douche? Well, at least a nitpicker - and pretty much all people on MAME's development team (including Haze, MooglyGuy and little ol' me) are guilty of that

- Stiletto

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#346274 - 10/26/15 08:20 AM

> Haze- Try reading. The guy above you just said the same thing. Repeating it just
> makes you look like a douche, which you most likely are IRL.

Ahhh, definitely not a good way to make friends, introduce yourself, or seek help .... and on your 2nd post no less.

And you attacked one of the core Mame Devs - you know, one of the guys who has been busting his arse for many years to write the code to emulate the hardware for the games that you want to play.

A tip for the future (here and on every other forum, user group, etc): dial back your hostility, nasty comments, and personal attacks to as close to ZERO as possible and you'll probably have a much better time. Oh, and welcome to the forums !

Moose

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#346277 - 10/26/15 09:56 AM

> MooglyGuy- Thanks for the schooling. I appreciate it. I'll look into that now.
>
> Haze- Try reading. The guy above you just said the same thing. Repeating it just

You realize MooglyGuy and Haze are buddies right?

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

#346279 - 10/26/15 01:04 PM

What a good way to start the day
Open MAMEWorld, read this and my first cup of coffee went splashing all over my desk.

Hilarity! XD

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Haze
Send PM

#346286 - 10/26/15 04:47 PM

> MooglyGuy- Thanks for the schooling. I appreciate it. I'll look into that now.
>

Really?

Having done nice big write-up articles for the last few years (2012, 2013, 2014)
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2012-a-year-in-mame/
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2013-mame/
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2014-retrospective-closing-some-books/
I was very much aware that the build you mentioned was more than the 2 years old that Mooglyguy was suggesting. Heck, it's not even late 2011, so if I had a 2011 article a build of that age would still be missing half the improvements covered there, and even then those writeups really do only scratch the surface in terms of all the little fixes and improvements. (we're also near the end of 2015 now, for which there also isn't an article)

Anyway, if you want an actual answer then MEWUI will give you an experience closest to the baseline version of MAME, but with improved internal menus, it also seems to be a more stable piece of software than any of the 'UI' builds.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mewui/files/releases/
It has a very silly version numbering tho with 1.66 being the equivalent of MAME 0.166 rather than the developer matching the version numbers but it does a good job.

Dolemite007
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Stiletto]
#346309 - 10/27/15 05:48 AM

"Dolemite007 - try reading Haze is correcting MooglyGuy, not you: MAME 0.142 is 4 years old, not 2. Specifically, it was released April 3rd, 2011.

And now am I going to be guilty of being a douche? Well, at least a nitpicker - and pretty much all people on MAME's development team (including Haze, MooglyGuy and little ol' me) are guilty of that

- Stiletto"

SHIT. No, I guess I'M the douche now. I totally misunderstood his post. I'm used to forums where you can actually quote the post you're replying to.

HAZE- Sincere apologies. I feel (and probably look) like a total asshole. I'm sorry, but the way the post was quoted made it seem like a wiseass replay directed at me. Big big DUHH on my part. I fucked up, and I was probably looking for trouble to begin with since most forums are pretty hard on noobs to begin with, especially if they're asking questions. Again, I'm sorry, and...er, and thanks for the great work on MAME?

BTW, if anyone cares, I went with the IV/Play frontend. I'll get around to upgrading to a newer version of MAME soon as well...I didn't realize that my upgrade was still pretty old, but it's still a lot better than the one I was running before.

Edited by Dolemite007 (10/27/15 05:55 AM)

Dolemite007
MAME Fan
Send PM

#346310 - 10/27/15 05:58 AM

Um...look down the thread. There's an apology waiting there for you.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#346322 - 10/27/15 07:14 AM

> I didn't realize that my upgrade was still pretty old...

Well. Where did you get your 'upgrade'? If it was something like Zophar's, I recommend not doing that anymore. MAMEDev.org is the place to go for accuracy. (Hah hah hah.)

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#346325 - 10/27/15 09:06 AM

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Robbbert]
#346326 - 10/27/15 10:01 AM

> > SHIT. No, I guess I'M the douche now. I totally misunderstood his post. I'm used to
> > forums where you can actually quote the post you're replying to.
> >
>
> Click reply on the post of interest quotes it.
>
> Oh, btw, the UI builds (MAMEUI, MESSUI, MAMEUIFX) are just as stable as MAME itself.
> Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Yes, with the new building GENIE system we are ok now. Our GUI code doesn't interfere with MAME core in any way. We use core functions to build and handle the gamelist, but this is *not* cause of instability.... instead is the opposite.

Dolemite007
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Traso]
#346341 - 10/27/15 11:00 PM

I...don't remember? It wasn't some weird random site, I could have sworn it was from the main MAME dev site but obviously that wasn't the case considering its age unless I was looking for a certain build based on compatibility issues. But I'm downloading the latest from mamedev.org right now and will give it a shot.

And someone tell Haze that I apologized for calling him a douche. I still feel bad, especially considering that he still tried to help me regardless.

Haze
Send PM

#346343 - 10/28/15 12:42 AM

> I...don't remember? It wasn't some weird random site, I could have sworn it was from
> the main MAME dev site but obviously that wasn't the case considering its age unless
> I was looking for a certain build based on compatibility issues. But I'm downloading
> the latest from mamedev.org right now and will give it a shot.
>
> And someone tell Haze that I apologized for calling him a douche. I still feel bad,
> especially considering that he still tried to help me regardless.

forgiven, I was just a little surprised by the reaction, not offended, there are too many trolls around to be that easily offended.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#346346 - 10/28/15 02:10 AM

> > I...don't remember? It wasn't some weird random site, I could have sworn it was
> from
> > the main MAME dev site but obviously that wasn't the case considering its age
> unless
> > I was looking for a certain build based on compatibility issues. But I'm
> downloading
> > the latest from mamedev.org right now and will give it a shot.
> >
> > And someone tell Haze that I apologized for calling him a douche. I still feel bad,
> > especially considering that he still tried to help me regardless.
>
> forgiven, I was just a little surprised by the reaction, not offended, there are too
> many trolls around to be that easily offended.

As far as the original poster's question is concerned, I don't know the answer. Is it a setting in mame.ini that can be configured?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Master O]
#346347 - 10/28/15 03:27 AM

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#346588 - 11/02/15 09:11 PM

> I totally misunderstood his post. I'm used to
> forums where you can actually quote the post you're replying to.

Yeah, it's a bit weird here. Your options:

1. Starting a Reply to a post will automatically quote the previous post with caret prefixes, such as in email: >
You cannot emphasize who this person you quoted was, but it should be obviously be the person above yours in the thread because...

2. Supposedly, the overwhelming majority read the forum in "Threaded Mode" (I use "Flat Mode" normally). Therefore the person you're replying to would be the person above yours in the thread. Each new topic (and its replies) can have threaded replies.

3. In "Flat Mode" it's much less obvious who wrote the post you're replying to since replies to the topic are displayed in chronological order.

4. You can use UBBCode "quote" tags but (the version of UBBThreads the forums uses is so old that?) it doesn't support inserting the previous poster: ie. [quote=Stiletto] or [quote="Stiletto"], so at best you can do:

Stiletto wrote:
Quote:

MAME is awesome.

If you go to "My Home", you can find a lot of bells and whistles to adjust these settings to your liking.

Hope that helps in the future?

- Stiletto

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#346643 - 11/04/15 12:52 AM

> If you go to "My Home", you can find a lot of bells and whistles to adjust these settings to your liking.
>
> - Stiletto

Not any that pertain to this. Basically, MAMEWorld is still using posting code that is late 90s. So, do like I did above, and if you want to be sure everyone knows who you're talking at, do this: @[username]: .

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Traso]
#346651 - 11/04/15 02:52 AM

> Not any that pertain to this. Basically, MAMEWorld is still using posting code that
> is late 90s. So, do like I did above, and if you want to be sure everyone knows who
> you're talking at, do this: @[username]: .

You mean, early 00's (August 22, 2003). See at the bottom of the page where it says "UBB.threads™ 6.3.2"?
http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/165087/Version_6.3.2_-_August_22,_200

- Stiletto

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#346653 - 11/04/15 04:25 AM

> > Not any that pertain to this. Basically, MAMEWorld is still using posting code that
> > is late 90s. So, do like I did above, and if you want to be sure everyone knows who
> > you're talking at, do this: @[username]: .
>
> You mean, early 00's (August 22, 2003). See at the bottom of the page where it says
> "UBB.threads™ 6.3.2"?
> http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/165087/Version_6.3.2_-_August_22,_200
>
> - Stiletto

So, upgrading the forum software is out of the question?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Master O]
#346654 - 11/04/15 04:34 AM

> > > Not any that pertain to this. Basically, MAMEWorld is still using posting code
> that
> > > is late 90s. So, do like I did above, and if you want to be sure everyone knows
> who
> > > you're talking at, do this: @[username]: .
> >
> > You mean, early 00's (August 22, 2003). See at the bottom of the page where it says
> > "UBB.threads™ 6.3.2"?
> >
> http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/165087/Version_6.3.2_-_August_22,_200
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> So, upgrading the forum software is out of the question?

The last I heard from italie and twisty about forum upgrades, there were a ton of custom plugins and such that were standing in the way. I suppose it could be revisited. Don't know when I personally will have the time, tho...

- Stiletto

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Send PM

#346657 - 11/04/15 05:14 AM

> 3. In "Flat Mode" it's much less obvious who wrote the post you're replying to since
> replies to the topic are displayed in chronological order.
>
> - Stiletto

Eh? It is obvious, because it says [Re: Stiletto] at the top of my post.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dumb MAME ROM Menu Question new [Re: Robbbert]
#346668 - 11/04/15 08:10 AM

> > 3. In "Flat Mode" it's much less obvious who wrote the post you're replying to
> since
> > replies to the topic are displayed in chronological order.
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
>
> Eh? It is obvious, because it says [Re: Stiletto] at the top of my post.

Touche. I'd switched to Threaded Mode just to write my earlier post. :P

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2400