Pages: 1

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Dragon's Lair:The Movie
#346349 - 10/28/15 05:44 AM

Thought a few around here might be interested in this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/donbluth/dragons-lair-the-movie

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#346351 - 10/28/15 07:51 AM

I saw the words Dragons Lair & I imediatly thought about time it was emulated in Mame, but hey that's what you get for reading with blinkers on. Lol. Is it not emulated in Mame because it is still sold? I'm sure it's been emulated already but made not to work in Mame unless you're in the know. 1 day it will be promoted to working state & then there's no messing about in having to change to the Daphne emulator, but a game like Dragons Lair & the other classic Space Ace when got to the fully working state in Mame could work like how Daphne does in that you have to have bought a copy of the dvds & insert when prompted to allow you to play them so that then there getting money still from them.

As for the movie of Dragons Lair getting made it really could be a good movie if they get the right actors & director plus very good c.g.i. I can't think who could play the leading roles though so give them some ideas.. Anyone got any suggestions? I think in directing it the person who directed the Sorcerer's Apprentice would be a good fit.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: agard]
#346352 - 10/28/15 09:03 AM

> As for the movie of Dragons Lair getting made it really could be a good movie if they
> get the right actors & director plus very good c.g.i.

it will be animated movie. so, only voice actors are needed.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#346363 - 10/28/15 02:48 PM

> Is it not emulated in Mame because it is still sold?

Yes.

> I'm sure it's been emulated already but made not to work in Mame unless you're in the know.

MAMEdev is the most transparent organization on the planet; everything we do appears immediately to the public in GitHub. Your fantasy greatly overstates the amount of effort anyone would go to for a game which is barely interactive and which works just fine in Daphne.

azoreseuropa
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/03/15
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: R. Belmont]
#346371 - 10/28/15 05:36 PM

> > Is it not emulated in Mame because it is still sold?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I'm sure it's been emulated already but made not to work in Mame unless you're in
> the know.
>
> MAMEdev is the most transparent organization on the planet; everything we do appears
> immediately to the public in GitHub. Your fantasy greatly overstates the amount of
> effort anyone would go to for a game which is barely interactive and which works just
> fine in Daphne.

Yes, it works great in Daphne but I rather Mame over Daphne, thought. Just my preference thats all. Do you think the files that works for Daphne will work with Mame along with DL roms ?

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: azoreseuropa]
#346432 - 10/29/15 10:36 PM

I meant that if your in the know how to get things to work in creating your own code along side the images in using what was already about also using the video clips that you need too. I also prefer Mame as it creates the games from the actual pcb's Daphne really is just a video player with some code on to tell what part of the dvd to play but still I couldn't have done it.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#346433 - 10/29/15 10:49 PM

still think that 'Dragons Lair' is by far the worst piece of IP that's being kept alive..

I've thought about it many many times over but the way I see it..

pros:
it looked quite nice at the time

cons:
everything else

it's an abysmal example of a game, pure trial and error, memorization, not even that intuitive, and expensive to play... I'd actually rank it as the worst arcade game I've ever played, below even the likes of Swinging Singles which at least attempted to be a game. Laserdisc tech was capable of so much better (things like Cube Quest are about as close as you get to a reasonably good game that is actually enhanced by having good looking background graphics)

I agree, we should get around to emulating it eventually, it's sold entirely on the basis of visuals (or at least I think it is, because like I said, I see no other redeeming qualities to sell it on) and the original Laserdisc release which would be supported in MAME is incomparable to any of the new remastered ones, it's a different product entirely.

As for 'are there private MAME builds that run it' yes, there are. It was actually featured on the old mame.net WIP page many years ago, although that was a rather windows specific hack that didn't even use proper laserdisc images, hence not making it back then. That code was never released.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: Haze]
#346448 - 10/30/15 07:24 AM

The animation and characters and story were good, they choked on the gameplay. People want it for nostalgia because they were there when it came out. It was fun as hell, I understand your points in hindsight but at the time it was a fun experience to play it. I wish they would move it into a movie franchise and maybe a new video game so they will ignore this one and maybe we can backup the laser disc already.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: Smitdogg]
#346463 - 10/30/15 05:05 PM

> The animation and characters and story were good, they choked on the gameplay. People
> want it for nostalgia because they were there when it came out. It was fun as hell, I
> understand your points in hindsight but at the time it was a fun experience to play
> it.

It was fun to watch other people die at. When it was my 2 quarters on the line, the trial-and-error "gameplay" was not fun at all.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#346468 - 10/30/15 07:45 PM

Every time I try to replay it, I learn pretty quickly how to get to the room with the dragon and daphne. I have NEVER gone past that point. In any version of the game. If it had an autoplay mode that actually went through the entire game, it'd be worth it to watch. Once.

Edit: and of course it's on youtube. Figures... I always could get within 2 or 3 moves from finishing the game. Never was able to pull the sword out. After watching this (much longer than I remember...), there's no need to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dg4J9_nes

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#346474 - 10/30/15 11:30 PM

>
> It was fun to watch other people die at. When it was my 2 quarters on the line, the
> trial-and-error "gameplay" was not fun at all.

I hear you. I did have fun with this game, but 50 cents got kind of expensive to lose so quickly until the moves were memorized. Worse was when the input sound was muted so you didn't know if/when the move registered- that made for cheap deaths either by thinking it registered but it didn't, or it registered two moves- the second being wrong.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: URherenow]
#346475 - 10/30/15 11:32 PM

> Every time I try to replay it, I learn pretty quickly how to get to the room with the
> dragon and daphne. I have NEVER gone past that point. In any version of the game. If
> it had an autoplay mode that actually went through the entire game, it'd be worth it
> to watch. Once.
>
> Edit: and of course it's on youtube. Figures... I always could get within 2 or 3
> moves from finishing the game. Never was able to pull the sword out. After watching
> this (much longer than I remember...), there's no need to play it.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dg4J9_nes

I've finished this game before, but it's the *only* laser disc game I have finished. I was never able to finish DL2, Space Ace, or Cliff Hanger (different company I know, but same concept).

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: Qun Mang]
#346476 - 10/31/15 12:02 AM

> > Every time I try to replay it, I learn pretty quickly how to get to the room with the
> > dragon and daphne. I have NEVER gone past that point. In any version of the game. If
> > it had an autoplay mode that actually went through the entire game, it'd be worth it
> > to watch. Once.
> >
> > Edit: and of course it's on youtube. Figures... I always could get within 2 or 3
> > moves from finishing the game. Never was able to pull the sword out. After watching
> > this (much longer than I remember...), there's no need to play it.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dg4J9_nes
>
> I've finished this game before, but it's the *only* laser disc game I have finished.
> I was never able to finish DL2, Space Ace, or Cliff Hanger (different company I know,
> but same concept).

Watching Dragon's Lair like that it doesn't even look that impressive. They've clearly recycled animation all over the place. There are duplicate sequences, sequences that are just mirrored versions of earlier sequences and rooms that use the same backgrounds with different enemies drawn over the top. The halfpipe with the balls and the colour-changing floors look totally out-of-place with the game's aesthetic. The Playboy bunny princess really clashes with the rest of her scene that looks lifted straight from a Don Bluth film like All Dogs Go to Heaven.

I was never interested in playing Dragon's Lair, but I managed to finish Taito Time Gal and Sega Time Traveler.

Time Gal at least isn't blatantly recycling assets the whole way through and has a consistent aesthetic. The time stop mechanic where video paused and it gave you three choices for what to do was a nice touch. It also ensured that every death scene was entertaining enough to make it feel like you hadn't completely wasted your money.

Time Traveler's "holographic" effect where the characters appeared to stand up in the air on top of the glass was a cool novelty. It's pretty forgiving as far as FMV Laserdisc games go. The acting and special effects are half-decent, too. It also has lots of death scenes to keep you entertained.

Dragon's Lair was the first in that genre of FMV game, and it really shows. They hadn't worked out how to make an FMV game playable yet. Later games could learn from its mistakes.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#346496 - 10/31/15 07:20 PM

> Time Gal at least isn't blatantly recycling assets the whole way through and has a
> consistent aesthetic. The time stop mechanic where video paused and it gave you three
> choices for what to do was a nice touch. It also ensured that every death scene was
> entertaining enough to make it feel like you hadn't completely wasted your money.

Are you saying that you actually played Time Gal the real arcade game?
If so you are a pretty lucky individual, where did you play it? I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone actually playing the cabinet and thought it and Ninja Hayate were Japan only releases.

Unless things have changed and I'm mistaken, I don't believe the roms or discs for either of those games have been found and are probably being hoarded by said Japanese collectors.

There is no law in the arena

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#346511 - 11/01/15 07:00 AM

> Are you saying that you actually played Time Gal the real arcade game?
> If so you are a pretty lucky individual, where did you play it? I don't believe I've
> ever heard of anyone actually playing the cabinet and thought it and Ninja Hayate
> were Japan only releases.

Yeah, I've played the arcade release of Time Gal in Sydney. Many grey imports of foreign releases end up in Australia. It's not like many games have official Australian releases. The Time Traveler I played in Sydney was a grey import of a US cabinet. I've seen Time Gal in Tokyo as well, but not for over a decade now. The machines are probably all dead by now.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#346572 - 11/02/15 03:17 AM Attachment: TimeGal.JPG 48 KB (0 downloads)

> Yeah, I've played the arcade release of Time Gal in Sydney. Many grey imports of
> foreign releases end up in Australia. It's not like many games have official
> Australian releases. The Time Traveler I played in Sydney was a grey import of a US
> cabinet. I've seen Time Gal in Tokyo as well, but not for over a decade now. The
> machines are probably all dead by now.

Wow, I envy you!
Like I said, I've never heard of anyone playing Time Gal in the wild. Did you ever see a Ninja Hayate in Australia or Japan?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

There is no law in the arena

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#346578 - 11/02/15 08:07 AM

> > Yeah, I've played the arcade release of Time Gal in Sydney. Many grey imports of
> > foreign releases end up in Australia. It's not like many games have official
> > Australian releases. The Time Traveler I played in Sydney was a grey import of a US
> > cabinet. I've seen Time Gal in Tokyo as well, but not for over a decade now. The
> > machines are probably all dead by now.
>
> Wow, I envy you!
> Like I said, I've never heard of anyone playing Time Gal in the wild. Did you ever
> see a Ninja Hayate in Australia or Japan?

I saw a Ninja Hayate in Tokyo once, but it wasn’t in working order. The curse of systems that depend heavily on complex electromechanical devices…

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

To Vas, and SR new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#346629 - 11/03/15 08:09 PM

Ahh, when animation was cool and sexy... (She should have brown eyes, though.)

I thought DL was bad ass, even though the game play was minimal and a little static. I still like playing it. I never minded the mirrored scenes. Colored half-pipe was my favorite. Rainbow Euclidean geometry.... But, the whole thing was a loose imagination of things.....Fantasy is rarely 'ordered', and even more rarely any good. Anyways, I can never get past the knight in the checkered room, either of the bat scenes, nor the lava men.

I think DL was as good as they could make it. I didn't see ADGtH, so I had no reference there, but I still love the animation. It's [real].

Time Traveler I was briefly impressed with, but also just as disappointed with - first in the wonky cabinet design, and the weirdo (and small and constrained) bubble view port; second by the live-action which I found pretty cheesy, and not adult.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: To Vas, and SR new [Re: Traso]
#346646 - 11/04/15 01:09 AM

> Ahh, when animation was cool and sexy... (She should have brown eyes, though.)

She's clearly inspired by Lum from the Rumiko Takahashi manga Urusei Yatsura, who also has blue eyes.

> Time Traveler I was briefly impressed with, but also just as disappointed with -
> first in the wonky cabinet design, and the weirdo (and small and constrained) bubble
> view port; second by the live-action which I found pretty cheesy, and not adult.

Haha you're calling Time Traveler "cheesy" and "not adult" while praising Dragon's Lair? Hate to have to break this to you, but everything Don Bluth every animated was incredibly cheesy and childish, and DL is no exception. Maybe you need to lay off the weed a bit and reexamine some of this stuff.

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

Re: Dragon's Lair:The Movie new [Re: Haze]
#346672 - 11/04/15 11:16 AM

Dragons Lair is more than merely "Visual".

Its also a Hell of a lot more important than some set-payout/odds Gambling or Mahjong clones.

Firstly, a well drawn cartoon... is something to be treasured. Especially when its not CGI computer generated framework.

Hand Drawn, and hand painted cells. Its a tough process, that requires an amazing level of talent. Not just to draw... but to make the animations look believable, expressive, and interesting. (unlike Jar Jar..)

And the painting, done in the amazing backdrops in the game... is some of the most breathtakingly beautiful works seen in any animation ever produced. These days, its rare to see such use of colors and shading in animations, due to the cost, timeframes, tools, and lack of skills of the content creators.

Besides the actual animations, which are quite incredible... you have sounds that match. Grunts, screams, rocks tumbling, ... music, and atmospherics. These days, its hard to find games that use anything other than droning techno.. which has no emotional content whatsoever.

Gameplay...

The interaction part is the weakest link. However, it was an experience. A sort of guessing game.. that gave you some hints. Failing was even fun.. because the death animations were fun and funny. Defeating a room was a great sense of accomplishment... and even then, sometimes you messed up on the timing, pressure, or memory lapse.

Replay Value...

This again is a bit of a weak point. However, that can also be said for a LOT of games. Especially beat-em-ups, and pretty much any game that has an ending. Not everyone cares to revisit the same experience. But, many whom Love the animations and sounds in Dragons Lair, Space Ace... etc.. will continue to enjoy these limited interaction, regardless of the lack of repeat challenge.

Historical Perspectives...

Remember, that even in the Arcade Heights of the 80s... games were not meant to last forever. Games were often replaced a few years down the road... as new games came into play. At .50 cents a play... that meant that as long as DL was Operational.. it would continue to rake in cash pretty well. Since youtube didnt exist.. the cheat books were not easy to translate to actual use in-game.. so that also helped.

You have to also place yourself as a young kid in the middle of an arcade filled with 8 bit graphics. Imagine comparing a bunch of NES vs Arcade machines... against Dragons Lair !!! Its impact was like getting struck by lightning.

It was ground breaking and incredible... despite its limitations in gameplay. It was fricken high quality audio and visuals.. in a time where low quality composite VCRs were the typical best source of video / audio.

Heck, most people of the time were listening to cassette tapes.. not CDs. The arcade I was in had a Journey, and a Two Tigers machine.. and those games used looping 8 Tracks in their cabinets. And even those were low quality loops.. and not full fledged and interactive audio and backing tracks. No blips, bloops, and beeps... but real crystal Clear vocals, bells, and orchestrations...

Again.. fire up some Excite Bike, and then compare that to the Intro alone.. in Dragons Lair at good volume and with decent quality speakers / headphones.

I myself have never fully learned DL in its entirety. Id played a few games in the arcade... but never was good at it.. but always enjoyed the attempts.

Ive often thought about using a cheat now that the DVD is playable, but feel Id rather discover the rooms on my own.

One day, I will invest more time into it.. and get good at it, as well as Space Ace.

I personally did Not care for Time Traveler. The whole Cowboy Redneck thing was cheesy as hell.. and the actions and acting of the live actors was pretty pathetic. It didnt have 1/100th of the moody experience that DL gave you.

It really is an important Historical treasure.

Being from a younger Era, you, and many others like you... really lack the proper perspectives. Its often a real issue for Preservation efforts in many forms. Just look at China.. steamrolling its hand carved / built temples.. in order to make modern boring artless high rise buildings...

Its citizens initially thinking its wonderful.. while us Westerners are cringing, and wishing we had even a Sliver of the artistry in our daily lives... rather than the typical generic concrete jungle, that we exist within.

The thing that makes this even worse... is that companies that own the IP have Butchered the re-masters. Both in horribly over saturated colors.. as well as in the actual screen format change (lopping off tons of artwork).

And as far as Ive heard.. the old Laser Disc formats degrade a bit each time they are played.

Dragons Lair is not an external desert-island game.. such as Robotron, or Super Mario World... however, it is a masterpiece. A real work of art. An experience to be enjoyed and treasured.. and well preserved.

Luckily, many fans agree.. and Dahpne was all over it.
DL and the like, sold like hotcakes in the arcades.. and then were ported and sold across countless game and computer systems. Sadly, none really captured the actual experience. Eventually the DVD finally came to pass... as well as Daphne.

I also enjoyed a bit of Space Ace, but not as much as DL. And, I also liked to play Astron Belt, and Foxfire? Despite their lackings. The atmospheres they created, were far greater / different than any 8 bit style of game could produce.

As for a full length movie starring Dirk.. Im not so sure about that. Though, Im a fan of pretty much any animation that is well done...

And the comment about the giant ball scene not "fitting", I disagree. Its a Castle of Magic, Fantasy, and Death Traps. I guess you have never seen the Goonies? Do not know what boobie traps are? Maybe a more realistic version might be a cylinder.. or a falling rock... but this is a Fantasy.. where knights can shoot lightning bolts out of floor tiles. Its fantastic fantasy... not boring reality.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: To Vas, and SR new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#346865 - 11/10/15 08:08 AM

> She's clearly inspired by Lum from the Rumiko Takahashi manga Urusei Yatsura, who also has blue eyes.

> Haha you're calling Time Traveler "cheesy" and "not adult" while praising Dragon's Lair? Hate to have to break this to you, but everything Don Bluth every animated was incredibly cheesy and childish, and DL is no exception. Maybe you need to lay off the weed a bit and reexamine some of this stuff.

I didn't say now I think Time Traveler is..... I said I thought that then. I don't care to re-check it now. DL was intentionally goofy - in a traditional american animation fashion - Loony Toons, etc - versus cheesy, like children's TV. And the death scenes in TT as I recall were just copies of DL.

On the first bit: but I prefer brown eyes, remember.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: To Vas, and SR new [Re: Traso]
#346874 - 11/10/15 03:22 PM

> On the first bit: but I prefer brown eyes, remember.

In more ways than one.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN...... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#346926 - 11/12/15 03:21 AM

> > On the first bit: but I prefer brown eyes, remember.
>
> In more ways than one.

Someone after my own fart....I mean, heart.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3244