Pages: 1

simmondsd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/25/15
Send PM

Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found"
#347382 - 11/25/15 11:42 AM

Hi,

A mate has bought a cocktail table running Mame under Win95. He knows nothing about 'computers' so I am trying to help.

I run Launcher.exe and eventually get the 'Games not Found' pop-up.

I have looked through the file directory and can see all the games in Zip files in the Roms directory. I can also see and read the .ini files.

My gut is that the .ini file is pointing to the wrong place but...

Could you let me know what I need to let you know and whether there is something simple I can do to get the machine working properly. (I'd like to avoid any 'upgrade' conversation as the hard-drive is only 6.4gb and is full!)

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: simmondsd]
#347397 - 11/25/15 05:37 PM

> A mate has bought a cocktail table running Mame under Win95. He knows nothing about
> 'computers' so I am trying to help.

So, running DOS MAME right? Which the oldest of us have long forgotten how to use and troubleshoot.

> I run Launcher.exe and eventually get the 'Games not Found' pop-up.
>
> I have looked through the file directory and can see all the games in Zip files in
> the Roms directory. I can also see and read the .ini files.
>
> My gut is that the .ini file is pointing to the wrong place but...

I think the problem is with the front-end. Check its configuration files. What front-end is it? MAME never used any "Launcher.exe".

S

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Sune]
#347403 - 11/25/15 07:12 PM

> So, running DOS MAME right? Which the oldest of us have long forgotten how to use and
> troubleshoot.

That and we tend to look down on people selling complete turnkey MAME cabinets, given that neither MAMEdev nor the Dumping Union ever get any money from them even though our time and money enables them to exist in the first place.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#347422 - 11/26/15 05:42 AM

It's probably going to come down to a path / an environment variable not set right.

If you can't find what's wrong, I will try and help (if you want). Create a ZIP file containing:
* c:\autoexec.bat
* c:\config.sys
* the complete Launcher.exe folder (and all of its sub folders)
* All of the MAME files - EXE, INI, etc - everything but the game ROM zips and screen shots (to keep the size down).
* Anything else relevant.

Note: if the ZIP file is more than about 20 MB, then PM me without the ZIP, and I'll make other arrangements with you to get the ZIP to me.

Once I get the ZIP, I'll try and duplicate your installation here on a Windows 95 VM and see what's going on.

Moose

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#347424 - 11/26/15 06:42 AM

> Hi,
>
> A mate has bought a cocktail table running Mame under Win95. He knows nothing about
> 'computers' so I am trying to help.
>
>
> I have looked through the file directory and can see all the games in Zip files in
> the Roms directory. I can also see and read the .ini files.
>
> My gut is that the .ini file is pointing to the wrong place but...
>
> Could you let me know what I need to let you know and whether there is something
> simple I can do to get the machine working properly. (I'd like to avoid any 'upgrade'
> conversation as the hard-drive is only 6.4gb and is full!)
>
> Many thanks in advance for the help.

It's funny when people buy or purchase things that they know nothing about.

Completely free builds here ---> http://mamedev.org/release.html

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Being '95, it's most likely a resale item.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#347543 - 11/28/15 07:44 AM

Bought a long fuckin time ago, but more likely built by an enthusiast, in which case it doesn't count.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

simmondsd
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/25/15
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Moose]
#347700 - 12/02/15 10:20 PM

Hi Moose,

Thanks for your kind offer of help. Unfortunately I can't get the USB port recognised to copy to a USB driver nor can I get an internet connection working to copy to dropbox/email.

I've decide to try and rebuild the internals for the cocktail cabinet from scratch. I have a spare 320gb drive and a flat-screen monitoe I can use to replace the old CRT monitor. There is a "Pac controller" that interfaces with the keyboard port that can be re-used and the buttons and joystick controllers are fine. I jst need to find a suitable motherboard. Is there anything that you would recommend or would any scrapyard motherboard be fine?

We really want o make use of the cocktail cabinet, it was produced in the UK in the early 80's by a company called Gayton Games - there must have been a subsequent MAME conversion that I'm now trying to deal with !!

I reqally appreciate your positive comments and offers of help.

David

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#347701 - 12/02/15 11:45 PM

> Hi Moose,
>
> Thanks for your kind offer of help. Unfortunately I can't get the USB port recognised
> to copy to a USB driver nor can I get an internet connection working to copy to
> dropbox/email.

USB support was introduced in Win '95 OSR2, so if it's gold-master or OSR1 the ports won't work.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: R. Belmont]
#347702 - 12/03/15 12:09 AM

-

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Robbbert]
#347722 - 12/03/15 12:17 PM

> > USB support was introduced in Win '95 OSR2, so if it's gold-master or OSR1 the
> ports
> > won't work.
>
> I had the latest Win95, and even then USB never really worked. It wasn't until
> windows 2000 that they got it right.
>
> As for internet connection, that shouldn't be a problem, the issue is that IE4 or
> whatever version it had isn't going to work with the majority of sites these days,
> especially file-sharing ones.

I second that. I have a circa 1997 Toshiba laptop with 95 OSR2, complete with the IE4 desktop update and USB update (e.g. "Win97"), and I can barely even get a USB mouse to work with it (I have done it before though, it must have been an absolute fluke - and as soon as I unplugged it, nothing worked again until I rebooted). It detects the single USB port fine, it "finds" things when they are plugged in, and that's about as far as it goes. Note that 98 "First Edition" was just as useless - it wasn't until 98SE where USB was somewhat usable (albeit needing drivers more often than not, e.g. USB drives).

The OP is better off gutting the thing and putting in a cheap/free(!) Pentium 4 board or early dual-core (e.g. Core 2 Duo). When I think of Windows 95, I instantly think of a Socket 7 AT-form-factor machine with a few megs of RAM. Bonus points if the video card is an S3 ViRGE. At least with an XP system (with a decent browser installed) you can still access most websites, although that is changing faster than the speed of light due to sites blocking IE6, making simply looking for another browser with a freshly-installed XP system next to impossible. I don't even know if "getfirefox.com" even works on IE6 these days. Not that a MAME cabinet needs to access the internet...

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#347737 - 12/03/15 11:05 PM

-

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

#347778 - 12/05/15 02:58 AM

Can you post a photo of the cocktail table? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: B2K24]
#347781 - 12/05/15 06:31 AM

> It's funny when people buy or purchase things that they know nothing about.
>
> Completely free builds here ---> http://mamedev.org/release.html

Yeah, because you can totally download a cocktail cabinet. Idiot.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#347782 - 12/05/15 07:57 AM

> Yeah, because you can totally download a cocktail cabinet. Idiot.

Is that right?

Well... since you've decided to be a cock (for some unknown reason) I'd say he's about a quarter of the way there.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: B2K24]
#347783 - 12/05/15 08:04 AM

> > Yeah, because you can totally download a cocktail cabinet. Idiot.
>
> Is that right?
>
> Well... since you've decided to be a cock (for some unknown reason) I'd say he's
> about a quarter of the way there.

Look, this is the second time you've pointed at mamedev.org to download builds when it's not a useful response.

In the other thread about pcap errors, pointing to mamedev.org to download a build isn't a useful response firstly because official builds do the same thing, and secondly because a question about behaviour when building from source using official tools is perfectly legitimate.

In this case, the person bought a cabinet that happened to contain a PC with an old MAME setup. It might be useful to advise them to swap out the old PC for something newer so they can use up-to-date MAME, and possibly recommend a front-end that's cocktail cab friendly.

However berating them for buying something they don't understand and pointing at mamedev.org is stupid. You can't download a cocktail cabinet, and using MAME in a cabinet really requires some kind of joystick-friendly front-end. You made a completely unhelpful, insulting post.

If you want to act like an unhelpful idiot, I'm going to call you one.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#347784 - 12/05/15 08:58 AM

> However berating them for buying something they don't understand and pointing at
> mamedev.org is stupid. You can't download a cocktail cabinet, and using MAME in a
> cabinet really requires some kind of joystick-friendly front-end. You made a
> completely unhelpful, insulting post.
>
> If you want to act like an unhelpful idiot, I'm going to call you one.

Since the nature of this subject strikes a nerve with a lot of people. I'll choose to comment on it and call it stupid or make an insult as I see fit and if I feel like doing so.

How I act or post is none of your concern, so don't worry about it.

If I want to point to here of there, I'll do it. You or anyone else is not going to tell me otherwise. Got it?

And like you've never made a completely unhelpful, insulting post or reply in your life.

That said, you're welcome to return to customer support so
these guys can get their cab going.

Good Luck!

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: R. Belmont]
#347800 - 12/06/15 01:46 AM

> > Hi Moose,
> >
> > Thanks for your kind offer of help. Unfortunately I can't get the USB port
> recognised
> > to copy to a USB driver nor can I get an internet connection working to copy to
> > dropbox/email.
>
> USB support was introduced in Win '95 OSR2, so if it's gold-master or OSR1 the ports
> won't work.

Yes, see if you can upgrade to OSR2 (an internet search engine is your friend). Some options to do this:

* See if you can hook up a compatible CD drive (if not already one hooked up). Doing this might be easier said than done on old kit. Some PCs from that era had weird CD interfaces - via sound card, etc.

* Or better yet, pop out the arcade PC hard-drive and hook it up to another (more modern) PC via a USB HDD cable (they sell for under $10 on eBay), and copy over the files / directories requested to a folder the new PC and ZIP them up. While you are at it, you could copy over the Win 95 OSR2 installation files to a temporary directory on the arcade PC's hdd. Then, place the hdd back in the arcade PC and run the OSR2 installation off your hdd. If this works, your USB ports *should* hopefully work - which might well be useful later if you want to upgrade MAME, roms, etc.

Even though ti sure is fun to keep old kit running, you might just get everything on the old PC going and the HDD dies or some other fault develops. The best / easiest / most hassle-free / long-term option overall would be to put a more recent PC in the machine, a bigger harddrive, install the latest MAME, a front end you like, etc and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Moose

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Yeah, bump (nt) new [Re: Big Karnak]
#347864 - 12/07/15 11:10 PM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#347911 - 12/09/15 07:32 AM

> When I think of Windows 95, I instantly think
> of a Socket 7 AT-form-factor machine with a few megs of RAM. Bonus points if the
> video card is an S3 ViRGE.

Like a P200 with 32mb of RAM that your ex-wife bought for $3000 because Sears was a crooked, out-of-date computer seller.

S3 Virge. With Scitech Display Doctor to enable all of the resolutions that S3's crappy drivers wouldn't let you use. Ugh. Thanks for the memories.

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: Noob. Early Mame version on Win95. "No Games Found" new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#348058 - 12/13/15 01:23 AM

> > When I think of Windows 95, I instantly think
> > of a Socket 7 AT-form-factor machine with a few megs of RAM. Bonus points if the
> > video card is an S3 ViRGE.
>
> Like a P200 with 32mb of RAM that your ex-wife bought for $3000 because Sears was a
> crooked, out-of-date computer seller.
>
> S3 Virge. With Scitech Display Doctor to enable all of the resolutions that S3's
> crappy drivers wouldn't let you use. Ugh. Thanks for the memories.

Close. Packard Bell P166, 16MB, parents, $2000 (AUD), RentLo. 1997 was awesome.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2462