MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SouthofKC
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/29/15
Send PM

First cabinet and joystick mounting question
#348524 - 12/29/15 08:11 PM Attachment: image.jpeg 1771 KB (0 downloads)

I am building my first cabinet and have already started working on the control panel as you can see in the picture. My question is regarding the joysticks. I purchased the Servostick and I am curious how thick the control panel needs to be for them to be mounted securely but yet work well. My panel is currently 3/4" of an inch so I know I will need to use a router and carve out space. But how much wood should i remove? I think the sticks are currently 1.5" so having 3/4" of an inch thick panel is not ideal.
What has everyone found to be the best thickness to mount to yet gives you a good grip on the servostick.

SouthOfKC

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: First cabinet and joystick mounting question new [Re: SouthofKC]
#348722 - 01/02/16 04:59 AM

I doubt anyone here has one of those. BYOAC. Besides, they're just Sanwas with a special bit of kit underneath. You just screw 'em in.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

#349008 - 01/07/16 10:33 PM Attachment: DSCF0072.JPG 1558 KB (0 downloads)

> I am building my first cabinet and have already started working on the control panel
> as you can see in the picture. My question is regarding the joysticks. I purchased
> the Servostick and I am curious how thick the control panel needs to be for them to
> be mounted securely but yet work well. My panel is currently 3/4" of an inch so I
> know I will need to use a router and carve out space. But how much wood should i
> remove? I think the sticks are currently 1.5" so having 3/4" of an inch thick panel
> is not ideal.
> What has everyone found to be the best thickness to mount to yet gives you a good
> grip on the servostick.
>
> SouthOfKC

Traditionally you'd route the joystick pockets to 3/8" depth in a 3/4" panel if you're through-bolting it (leaving a net 3/8" material thickness). If you're blind-mounting it with threaded inserts, per Ultimarc's website you'll need at least 5/8" thickness in the pocket, so 1/8" routed in that case.

The Servostick is a modification of a Sanwa JLW TM-8. I have a standard JLW balltop mounted in one of my panels at 3/8" depth and the stick height is perfect for me.

Good luck!

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

SouthofKC
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: First cabinet and joystick mounting question new [Re: jeremymtc]
#349046 - 01/08/16 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I am blind mounting them in 3/4 so the 5/8 info is what I was needing. I must have just overlooked on the mount kits on their website. I think I removed between 3/8 and 4/8 so im sure I can make it work. It's mdf so if I poke through a little putty and paint won't kill me.

SouthofKC
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: First cabinet and joystick mounting question new [Re: Traso]
#349047 - 01/08/16 07:23 PM

I thought about that too but wondered if they would loosen up overtime without the inserts.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#349051 - 01/08/16 09:11 PM

I just got longer shafts. Routing is cheaper, an if you're into it and all......

Sticks can come loose after a time if just screwed in. Depends on how mean someone is to them. Using a lock washer, or making a small pilot hole and adding white glue (or anything rubbery) to the screw shaft will fix that.

Through-mounting is ugly - though the Brits love that shit.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2580