Pages: 1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

when being able to recognize unknown pong cabs
#349416 - 01/20/16 12:51 AM

...and can eventually find the name, has to be a hardcore pong fan.

Notices unknown four player pong cab listed for sale and then vaguely recalls seeing flyer recently because the control panel is plain and simple looking.

It is See-Fun's Olympic Tennis that is listed for sale.

The seller is only correct if stating that a working See-Fun Olympic Tennis cab might be rare, but upright two-four pong player cabs shouldn't be rare.....at this time....maybe hard-to-find, but not rare. In another 20 years or so, then the seller's claim can be correct.

The cab is missing the bezel piece and when seeing an image of the game on tv screen, it appears that maybe a replacement pcb that is not an actual Olympic Tennis pcb is inside the cab.

I look at the flyer and illustration shows only the net line without any top and bottom border lines compared to the auction photo that does show top and bottom border lines. My guess is maybe the flyer illustration was printed before the actual game was released and Olympic Tennis does have top and bottom border lines or a different pcb was placed in auctioned cab because actual Olympic Tennis pcb no longer works.

As I know at this time, Pong Doubles is only 2 or 4 player pong that was released early that it did not have top and bottom boundaries while the clones such as Tennis Tourney or Winner IV did inlcude top and bottom boundary feature.

There is an ebay listing of a supposed See-Fun Olympic Tennis pcb at this time.

It would be interesting to find out if See-Fun's version also supports top and bottom boundary feature like the other Atari competitors have.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: when being able to recognize unknown pong cabs new [Re: gregf]
#349417 - 01/20/16 01:54 AM

> ...and can eventually find the name, has to be a hardcore pong fan.
>
>
> Notices unknown four player pong cab listed for sale and then vaguely recalls seeing
> flyer recently because the control panel is plain and simple looking.
>
> It is See-Fun's Olympic Tennis that is listed for sale.
>
> The seller is only correct if stating that a working See-Fun Olympic Tennis cab
> might be rare, but upright two-four pong player cabs shouldn't be rare.....at this
> time....maybe hard-to-find, but not rare. In another 20 years or so, then the
> seller's claim can be correct.
>
>
> The cab is missing the bezel piece and when seeing an image of the game on tv
> screen, it appears that maybe a replacement pcb that is not an actual Olympic Tennis
> pcb is inside the cab.
>
> I look at the flyer and illustration shows only the net line without any top and
> bottom border lines compared to the auction photo that does show top and bottom
> border lines. My guess is maybe the flyer illustration was printed before the actual
> game was released and Olympic Tennis does have top and bottom border lines or a
> different pcb was placed in auctioned cab because actual Olympic Tennis pcb no longer
> works.
>
> As I know at this time, Pong Doubles is only 2 or 4 player pong that was released
> early that it did not have top and bottom boundaries while the clones such as Tennis
> Tourney or Winner IV did inlcude top and bottom boundary feature.
>
>
> There is an ebay listing of a supposed See-Fun Olympic Tennis pcb at this time.
>
> It would be interesting to find out if See-Fun's version also supports top and
> bottom boundary feature like the other Atari competitors have.

Nice detective work there Greg!

If it were local to me I'd plunk down $100 for it, but it's on the wrong end of the continent.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: when being able to recognize unknown pong cabs new [Re: jeremymtc]
#349436 - 01/20/16 11:15 PM

>If it were local to me I'd plunk down $100 for it, but it's on the wrong end of the
>continent.

Yep. The shipping charge would be way more than the asking price so it would have to be a game that is on personal most wanted list just to make purchase worthwhile.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-player-pong-Ma...tR#ht_530wt_900

For a four player pong clone variety, I would rather go with Digital Games Model 474 Challenger pong clone because of the challenging 1 player versus machine option.

I wonder if pcb in the cab is See-Funs Olympic Tennis pcb or if it was replaced by another 4 player pong clone pcb maybe Tennis Tourney or Winner IV. Granted it would take some modifying to get pcb compatible with cab, but if going by what is shown on the flyer for See-Fun's Olympic Tennis, it does not match what is shown in cab photo auction.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2ecAAOSw9r1V-1tT/s-l1600.jpg

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1307