Pages: 1

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help
#351031 - 03/04/16 01:40 PM

GOAL: To run Atari 2600 games from a MAME frontend.

FAILED PROCESS

(Tools)

I have used Stella for years. I have a full set of ROMS that all work in Stella.

I grabbed a full set of .171 ROMS from Pleasuredome.

I have a clean install of Mame .171. I use 64-bit, so I run MAME64.EXE. From this I get the new UI.

I changed the ROM path within MAME to point to the ROMS folder I use for Stella.

I choose "Atari 2600 NTSC" and get a list of Atari 2600 games.

Take, for example, Adventure. I choose adventure and I get "The selected software is missing one or more required files. Please select a (sic) different software."

I notice at the bottom of the screen it says: ROMSET: ADVENTUR. I rename my Adventure game to this, but I get the same result.

Now - the Stella games are in .BIN files, not zip's, and not 7z's.

I check MAME.INI, and the ROMS path is entered correctly.

So basically I have the following questions:

1) Do I need to grab another download of the Atari 2600 ROMS, just for MAME?

2) Could I be missing some other file?

3) Can I use MAMEUIFX, or other common frontends to play Atari 2600 titles?

4) I'd rather not use command-line, I want a frontend.

5) Why am I dumb as a stump every time I want to do anything other than play arcade titles with Mame?

Please help a guy who simply wants to play a few old titles.

(and yes, I can play them in Stella, which I love. But out of principle, I'd like to see this work.

Thanks in advance.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help new [Re: Vaughan]
#351032 - 03/04/16 03:22 PM

> GOAL: To run Atari 2600 games from a MAME frontend.
>
> FAILED PROCESS
>
> (Tools)
>
> I have used Stella for years. I have a full set of ROMS that all work in Stella.
>
> I grabbed a full set of .171 ROMS from Pleasuredome.
>
> I have a clean install of Mame .171. I use 64-bit, so I run MAME64.EXE. From this I
> get the new UI.
>
> I changed the ROM path within MAME to point to the ROMS folder I use for Stella.
>
> I choose "Atari 2600 NTSC" and get a list of Atari 2600 games.
>
> Take, for example, Adventure. I choose adventure and I get "The selected software is
> missing one or more required files. Please select a (sic) different software."
>
> I notice at the bottom of the screen it says: ROMSET: ADVENTUR. I rename my Adventure
> game to this, but I get the same result.
>
> Now - the Stella games are in .BIN files, not zip's, and not 7z's.
>
> I check MAME.INI, and the ROMS path is entered correctly.
>
> So basically I have the following questions:
>
> 1) Do I need to grab another download of the Atari 2600 ROMS, just for MAME?
>
> 2) Could I be missing some other file?
>
> 3) Can I use MAMEUIFX, or other common frontends to play Atari 2600 titles?
>
> 4) I'd rather not use command-line, I want a frontend.
>
> 5) Why am I dumb as a stump every time I want to do anything other than play arcade
> titles with Mame?
>
> Please help a guy who simply wants to play a few old titles.
>
> (and yes, I can play them in Stella, which I love. But out of principle, I'd like to
> see this work.
>
> Thanks in advance.

For some reason MAME won't load the hash. It only load the hash after this command mame64 a2600. Weird.

Edit: I just tried out the neocdz from the MAME list. Same problem. But it will load from the command without a problem.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help new [Re: Dullaron]
#351033 - 03/04/16 03:41 PM

Firstly - thanks a ton for your response.

Your suggestion to start MAME64 with a2600 switch, did indeed allow me to start Adventure. Praise be to the heavens!!!

Okay, so it looked blurry and stuff, but I'll figure it out.

Still, you've proved that what I have does work.

But - and I write this with all due respect to Mamedevs - if this is supposed to be an alternative to Stella, then methinks it needs a bit of work.

I was expecting integration on more than a code level. Meaning, I - and a hell of a lot of other people - know how to use Mame for arcade titles. We also know, by now, how the frontends work. I was expecting running Atari titles would be the same process - but clearly it's not (or I'm still missing something).

I guess what I'd truly expected - after some setup - was a frontend just like I've always had. Maybe a folder in the tree for Atari 2600, or even all mixed in. But at the very least, a similar experience to using Mame for arcade titles. But it doesn't appear to be so.

Again, I'm not being critical of the devs. Maybe it's all just one big bit of stupid on my part.

Still, I can play adventure now.

Thanks again.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#351034 - 03/04/16 03:50 PM

> Firstly - thanks a ton for your response.
>
> Your suggestion to start MAME64 with a2600 switch, did indeed allow me to start
> Adventure. Praise be to the heavens!!!
>
> Okay, so it looked blurry and stuff, but I'll figure it out.
>

The blurry is from the filtering the small resolution on a big screen, I reckon, from direct3d. Try -nofilter trigger (bilinear filtering OFF) and see if that improves things for you and sharpens it up.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

No problem. new [Re: Vaughan]
#351035 - 03/04/16 03:51 PM

Hope they fix that issue. 0.170 doesn't have that error.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#351036 - 03/04/16 03:53 PM

when you say 'full set of 0.171 ROMs' does that include the software list ROMs? I suspect not since you say you point at the roms you use for Stella.

MAME expects specific files for the home stuff, much like it does arcade games, these aren't always in the same format as other emulators.

Also if you launch loose files rather than using the Software List roms then some features of the cartridges might end up not being emulated, resulting in (for example) backup RAM not saving, or in the case of things with protection, the game not working.

If the MAME system roms, and Software List roms are in your rompath then it should work.

Note, some modern homebrew stuff will NOT work in MAME - they have powerful ARM chips in the cartridges that effectively act as real-time ROM emulators on the original systems, providing ROM data and banking on the fly because the ARM is so much faster than the original CPU. Stella emulates those by cheating (only emulating some ARM sub-calls, and doing full HLE of the rest of the ARM functions) That philosophy is not compatible with MAME, we would have to emulate the ARM as a real CPU, even when we do this it will be very slow (it's currently not even possible, because it requires such precise timing between the CPUs as the main CPU of the a2600 is fed data / code on the fly at the exact moment it needs it)

>
> FAILED PROCESS
>
> (Tools)
>
> I have used Stella for years. I have a full set of ROMS that all work in Stella.
>
> I grabbed a full set of .171 ROMS from Pleasuredome.
>
> I have a clean install of Mame .171. I use 64-bit, so I run MAME64.EXE. From this I
> get the new UI.
>
> I changed the ROM path within MAME to point to the ROMS folder I use for Stella.
>
> I choose "Atari 2600 NTSC" and get a list of Atari 2600 games.
>
> Take, for example, Adventure. I choose adventure and I get "The selected software is
> missing one or more required files. Please select a (sic) different software."
>
> I notice at the bottom of the screen it says: ROMSET: ADVENTUR. I rename my Adventure
> game to this, but I get the same result.
>
> Now - the Stella games are in .BIN files, not zip's, and not 7z's.
>
> I check MAME.INI, and the ROMS path is entered correctly.
>
> So basically I have the following questions:
>
> 1) Do I need to grab another download of the Atari 2600 ROMS, just for MAME?
>
> 2) Could I be missing some other file?
>
> 3) Can I use MAMEUIFX, or other common frontends to play Atari 2600 titles?
>
> 4) I'd rather not use command-line, I want a frontend.
>
> 5) Why am I dumb as a stump every time I want to do anything other than play arcade
> titles with Mame?
>
> Please help a guy who simply wants to play a few old titles.
>
> (and yes, I can play them in Stella, which I love. But out of principle, I'd like to
> see this work.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help new [Re: Tafoid]
#351037 - 03/04/16 03:59 PM

Actually it appears to be the "bloom scale" value that was causing much of the blur. I reduce that to 0, and things sharpen up (though it ain't no Stella.) I will play around some more.

I guess I'm struggling a bit with the interface. If I look at it cynically (sorry, devs), it seems like a great test, and proof, that it can be done, but there's like no..... well, finese. Or maybe there's too much finese.

I know the original Atari used terms such as RESET to start games, etc. But I personally think it feels odd in Mame. And yeah, I don't like that it sort of feels like a whole other program.

I appreciate their efforts though.

EDIT: I never use Bilinear Filtering with Mame, so I have it turned off in the interface at all times. I assume that's inherited into the 2600 interface.

Strange I can't get to any of the configuration options when working in 2600 mode. I get a list of games, I can choose one and play it. I can access the internal menu (TAB). But I can't say - configure the path, or see options such as Bilinear Filtering......

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help new [Re: Haze]
#351038 - 03/04/16 04:28 PM

Haze: I can't use the software list. It's there, and it comes up, but no game will run. It gives me the error I mentioned in my first post - even if I start MAME64 with the a2600 switch.

So - I start Mame64 with the a2600 switch. I get a screen that says: "The driver requires images to be loaded in the following device(s) "cartridge".

I choose cartridge (CART) and press enter.

That takes me to a list of games (it's either remembered my last choice, or it's pulling the path from MAME.INI.) This appears to be a straight folder list from the ROM directory I'd specified.

At the top there are two choices: EMPTY SLOT or SOFTWARE LIST. If I double click the ADVENTURE rom from the list that is there, it works. If I click on SOFTWARE LIST, then it takes me to a another list of games. No games work from this list though, with the error from my original post.

Hope that's clear.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#351040 - 03/04/16 05:02 PM

For that specific example to work you need an "a2600" folder into your roms directory with "adventur.zip" (or .7z) with "adventure.bin".

"MAME roms" and "MAME softlist roms" are not the same. Either look for the missing files or learn how to use ClrMAME with hash/a2600.xml as datafile.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#351041 - 03/04/16 05:09 PM

> But - and I write this with all due respect to Mamedevs - if this is supposed to be
> an alternative to Stella, then methinks it needs a bit of work.
>
> I was expecting integration on more than a code level. Meaning, I - and a hell of a
> lot of other people - know how to use Mame for arcade titles. We also know, by now,
> how the frontends work. I was expecting running Atari titles would be the same
> process - but clearly it's not (or I'm still missing something).
>
> I guess what I'd truly expected - after some setup - was a frontend just like I've
> always had. Maybe a folder in the tree for Atari 2600, or even all mixed in. But at
> the very least, a similar experience to using Mame for arcade titles. But it doesn't
> appear to be so.

Hahaha, if you found that a complex thing, then wait until you want to start a game from a C64 disc for example. Its a big boys forum here and i hope you know some syntax from the past.

I hope the devs leave most of the things like they are, because i liked and was very amoused how to load a game from disc on a C64. The experience was way more than simple point and click emulation .

But back to topic... if you cant start the games from the software-list, then either you dont have a full software-list romset (which is a different thing from the "normal" rom-set, like haze already said) or your path to this set is wrong (or both). Most stuff you mentioned can be everything, from bilinear filtering (which you cant find in the gui-menue) or HLSL settings (if enabled) or ther stuff. Your .ini file could help a lot more, to solve most of the problems.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help new [Re: uman]
#351042 - 03/04/16 05:22 PM

BIOS-D: Or use Stella.

UMan: Let's not start bickering all over the forums. If you're holding grudges on an internet forum you've got too much time on your hands.

As for it being complex - you have to use the term in context. Since I was doing IT before Windows 3.1, it's not like it's above and beyond my intelligence. Unlike you, I do sometimes have to ask questions, and there's no shame in that.

To the issues at hand - I think ultimately what we have here is a technical implementation that mostly kinda works. However, from a user perspective - which Mame devs may not care about - they've a long way to go.

Having established how Mame works, which has been a successful project, I'd have thought that it would have been a baseline of both performance AND operation. Apparently it's not. I don't know why they've chosen this cludge, so I won't guess - i'll just say that unless I find out something else the ultimate answer to this is obvious - don't use Mame to run Atari 2600 games. It's just not worth it. It offers a little less than Stella, with an interface that is much worse.

I've no interest in C64, so thank goodness won't be trying it. I was tempted to try Atari 400/800, but after the 2600 thing I'm beginning to think it's just not worth the trouble.

Since I've already mentioned that I've checked the INI and the path is correct, I'll assume that you've not read all the posts. Of course, I may well be missing something - could you tell me the specific files that are required?

In short - I can see why they went with MESS as an acronym.

EDIT: I'm going to grab another torrent of ROMS and see where that gets me. It'll take a while though, because my connection isn't the best.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#351044 - 03/04/16 05:47 PM

As with MAME, you need specific ROMs to run them from the softlist. But MAME will load normal Stella-compatible ROMs with the -cart switch:

mame64 a2600 -cart c:\stella\roms\pacman.bin

Or similar

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#351045 - 03/04/16 05:49 PM

I really wanted to help you, but you know what, help yourself. IDC.

I read all the posts here, but you seem to not read the answers. As i said, most of the problems, could be everything, if you refuse to help us, why i should invest time to help you.

All i can say is, that Stella is miles behind from MAME in terms of visual and emulation perspective and i needed about 5min. to solve the gui to start most of the machines including games.

"However, from a user perspective - which Mame devs may not care about - they've a long way to go. "
dont think so.. its very nice how it is, could be better, but not to that degree like you describe it here.

"It offers a little less than Stella, with an interface that is much worse."

Wrong in all terms.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#351046 - 03/04/16 05:50 PM

MAME has been always command line based with a really minimal GUI. This month's release made it to a more complex yet friendly user experience without the aid of front-ends, so it's only a matter of time. And thank goodness because GUIs like QMC2 are not for my taste, so bloated and a big mess of files when you are looking for minimal functionality.

Since you are "IT before Windows 3.1", one could take for granted you know how to manage tasks so simple the regular Windows user can do. Yet you said "I'm Dumb as a Rock", so we believe more of the latter.

If you only came to trash talk the project with the lame excuse of looking for help, then I guess we can't do much for you.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#351047 - 03/04/16 05:51 PM

> But - and I write this with all due respect to Mamedevs - if this is supposed to be
> an alternative to Stella, then methinks it needs a bit of work.
>
> I was expecting integration on more than a code level. Meaning, I - and a hell of a
> lot of other people - know how to use Mame for arcade titles. We also know, by now,
> how the frontends work. I was expecting running Atari titles would be the same
> process - but clearly it's not (or I'm still missing something).

You'd get what you're looking for if you got the specific "MAME Software List ROMs". Those are cartridges that MAMEdev has verified are good working dumps (on consoles this is a problem).

At that point it's just "mame64 a2600 advent" or "mame64 a2600 berzerk", or I believe the new UI will show a list of games once you've picked Atari 2600.

Basically we make running loose carts possible, but if you want easy you have to get the specific sets and put them in your ROMS folder.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#351049 - 03/04/16 05:59 PM

> I really wanted to help you, but you know what, help yourself. IDC.
>
> I read all the posts here, but you seem to not read the answers. As i said, most of
> the problems, could be everything, if you refuse to help us, why i should invest time
> to help you.
>
> All i can say is, that Stella is miles behind from MAME in terms of visual and
> emulation perspective and i needed about 5min. to solve the gui to start most of the
> machines including games.
>
> "However, from a user perspective - which Mame devs may not care about - they've a
> long way to go. "
> dont think so.. its very nice how it is, could be better, but not to that degree like
> you describe it here.
>
> "It offers a little less than Stella, with an interface that is much worse."
>
> Wrong in all terms.

Yes, absolutely - don't help me out. I'm more than happy with that. Your help seems to come with a chip on your shoulder and a dose of sarcasm. Not really help, is it? So yeah, just avoid my posts in future (there's an IGNORE function on the board you might want to use). if you can't have an adult discussion without resorting to this nonsense, it's not like either one of us will miss the other, or that your replies are of much interest.

As for the rest of your post - you do like to suggest that your experience, and opinion, is the last word on everything, don't you? My opinion is that when you stray from Arcade titles, Mame starts to get a bit.... knotty. You have a different opinion. It's okay. There's no need to right-fight. Neither of us are "right", we just feel differently about this issue.

I also don't think you've never used Stella - because for 2600 stuff it's far better than what I've thus seen from Mame, even when I can get a game running. But it's all good, we're free to use what suits us. Perhaps you need help in setting Stella up? If so, don't call me.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#351051 - 03/04/16 06:05 PM

Topic title says all. Nothing more to add.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help new [Re: BIOS-D]
#351052 - 03/04/16 06:07 PM

> MAME has been always command line based with a really minimal GUI. This month's
> release made it to a more complex yet friendly user experience without the aid of
> front-ends, so it's only a matter of time. And thank goodness because GUIs like QMC2
> are not for my taste, so bloated and a big mess of files when you are looking for
> minimal functionality.
>
> Since you are "IT before Windows 3.1", one could take for granted you know how to
> manage tasks so simple the regular Windows user can do. Yet you said "I'm Dumb as a
> Rock", so we believe more of the latter.
>
> If you only came to trash talk the project with the lame excuse of looking for help,
> then I guess we can't do much for you.

What? Are you slightly hung over or something? In the last thread with Uman I was accused of "asslicking" Mame devs, in this one I'm accused of "trash talk". I wish you lot would make up your mind. When you say "we" you're talking about the other fellow who is trolling, carrying on a hissy-fit he had in another thread. So yeah - birds of a feather..........

As for my writing "Dumb as a rock" - yes, I did write that. You know why? Because I was sure there was something obvious I'm missing, so I was being self-deprecating. It comes under the heading of "humor". You should look it up some time. Following your logic, no-one should ever ask questions, or admit they're stumped, because you might offend the high-brow intelligence of you and your mate.

Now, Mame has been command line. But it's also had frontends for years. If you don't like frontends, then don't use them. And if you don't want to help someone who uses a frontend you don't like, don't help them. It's not difficult.

The Internet - huh? Why does it attract men wearing their thongs pulled up too far? Just relax. Ignore my posts. Get on with your Phd studies or something. I'm barely out of the primordial soup, and this corn flake box is flaky as all get out.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm really really clever new [Re: R. Belmont]
#351053 - 03/04/16 06:09 PM

> > But - and I write this with all due respect to Mamedevs - if this is supposed to be
> > an alternative to Stella, then methinks it needs a bit of work.
> >
> > I was expecting integration on more than a code level. Meaning, I - and a hell of a
> > lot of other people - know how to use Mame for arcade titles. We also know, by now,
> > how the frontends work. I was expecting running Atari titles would be the same
> > process - but clearly it's not (or I'm still missing something).
>
> You'd get what you're looking for if you got the specific "MAME Software List ROMs".
> Those are cartridges that MAMEdev has verified are good working dumps (on consoles
> this is a problem).
>
> At that point it's just "mame64 a2600 advent" or "mame64 a2600 berzerk", or I believe
> the new UI will show a list of games once you've picked Atari 2600.
>
> Basically we make running loose carts possible, but if you want easy you have to get
> the specific sets and put them in your ROMS folder.

Thanks, RD. As noted earlier, I'm grabbing a new Torrent. No doubt that'll fix my problems. It says it still has a couple hours to go though. I'll report back.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#351054 - 03/04/16 06:11 PM

> Topic title says all. Nothing more to add.

RULE 5: Do NOT harass, verbally abuse, or threaten other visitors! If you have a disagreement, please take it to private message or simply ignore the other person altogether in more serious cases. The goal of this messageboard is to provide a friendly, helpful, and informative atmosphere for discussion of various topics.

RULE 6: Do NOT act like a smartass to newbies, even clueless/lazy ones. This only ends up polluting the board for everyone else reading. Instead, just ignore 'em and move on if you don't feel that they deserve help.

So yeah, fuck off.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#351055 - 03/04/16 06:31 PM

That was humor? Are you by any chance Traso's friend? It's official, gramps have a really twisted sense of humor. And that's saying something considering I was a teen during the MS-DOS 6.22 era.

I dare you to walk to a stranger asking for directions while saying to him he stinks and walks funny. That's the equivalent to what you just did. Here's a hint, it's not polite and neither humorous.

I haven't used front-ends since the last release of MAME32. I was only stating a personal view about how the baseline has improved and how it will get better as the time passes.

In the end you get what you give.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#351056 - 03/04/16 06:35 PM

> That was humor? Are you by any chance Traso's friend? It's official, gramps have a
> really twisted sense of humor. And that's saying something considering I was a teen
> during the MS-DOS 6.22 era.
>
> I dare you to walk to a stranger asking for directions while saying to him he stinks
> and walks funny. That's the equivalent to what you just did. Here's a hint, it's not
> polite and neither humorous.
>
> I haven't used front-ends since the last release of MAME32. I was only stating a
> personal view about how the baseline has improved and how it will get better as the
> time passes.
>
> In the end you get what you give.

Exactly - that's why you're getting a shitty attitude right back atcha.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#351057 - 03/04/16 06:39 PM

> > In the end you get what you give.
>
> Exactly - that's why you're getting a shitty attitude right back atcha.

You name it (and I accept it), so don't complain now.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#351058 - 03/04/16 06:42 PM

Go on - you seem to have to have the last word. So have it - and fuck off. There's an idiot over here needing help.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm Dumb as a Rock. Help new [Re: R. Belmont]
#351063 - 03/04/16 07:55 PM

> At that point it's just "mame64 a2600 advent" or "mame64 a2600 berzerk", or I believe
> the new UI will show a list of games once you've picked Atari 2600.
>
> Basically we make running loose carts possible, but if you want easy you have to get
> the specific sets and put them in your ROMS folder.

This is absolutely correct. The UI makes simple softlist cart loading so simple you don't even need to spell Atari correctly before it's displayed in the listing among other choices and you get the option to pick the machine

After it's selected it displays all the sets which are in the softlist.

Whether you have the correct files where MAME can see them is another matter entirely.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Atari 2600 - I'm really really clever new [Re: Vaughan]
#351066 - 03/04/16 08:22 PM

> > > But - and I write this with all due respect to Mamedevs - if this is supposed to
> be
> > > an alternative to Stella, then methinks it needs a bit of work.
> > >
> > > I was expecting integration on more than a code level. Meaning, I - and a hell of
> a
> > > lot of other people - know how to use Mame for arcade titles. We also know, by
> now,
> > > how the frontends work. I was expecting running Atari titles would be the same
> > > process - but clearly it's not (or I'm still missing something).
> >
> > You'd get what you're looking for if you got the specific "MAME Software List
> ROMs".
> > Those are cartridges that MAMEdev has verified are good working dumps (on consoles
> > this is a problem).
> >
> > At that point it's just "mame64 a2600 advent" or "mame64 a2600 berzerk", or I
> believe
> > the new UI will show a list of games once you've picked Atari 2600.
> >
> > Basically we make running loose carts possible, but if you want easy you have to
> get
> > the specific sets and put them in your ROMS folder.
>
>
> Thanks, RD. As noted earlier, I'm grabbing a new Torrent. No doubt that'll fix my
> problems. It says it still has a couple hours to go though. I'll report back.

Unless it's specifically an up-to-date MESS software list torrent, it might not fix your problems. Please tell us the exact filename of the torrent that you are downloading. For all any of us know, it's entitled "Fake MAME 0.171 Software List ROMs That Won't Work For Vaughan.torrent". I don't think you're that dumb, but you don't seem to have managed to figure out that running software-list-approved games on consoles and computers is as simple as inserting one single additional word in between "mame64.exe" and the name of the game you're trying to run, so I'm not willing to take any chances at this point.

Also, I beg of you, please take what Dullaron says with several truckloads of salt. It's fairly well-known that he's legitimately mentally disabled, because his caretaker actually took over his MW account at one point to explain his situation. It's great that he's trying to be helpful - after all, social courtesy dictates that we be nice to these sorts of people even if they say something unfathomably dumb - but at the end of the day you're more likely to get half-accurate instructions in mangled English than you are proper instructions. You should really only be paying attention to the advice given to you by people like me, Haze, R. Belmont, h@p, Olivier Galibert, and other actual developers. Otherwise it's just the blind leading the blind here.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#351068 - 03/04/16 08:48 PM

Locking. This is going nowhere.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 10752