MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Coherencia
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/25/16
Send PM

Why MAME not work with the old Intel Graphic Cards?
#351225 - 03/06/16 08:48 PM

Hello. I tested MAME with various several versions ago to today and the old intel integrated graphic cards not work with MAME, MAME show a black screen with none messages and in many times block the PC. I tested all the methods described in google and in the wiki for this cards and none work, MAME simply not work with old intel integrated graphic cards, and I tested two PC's with different intel graphic cards.

I have a poor english, I know, sorry.

Jezze
Reged: 03/14/05
Send PM

Re: Why MAME not work with the old Intel Graphic Cards? new [Re: Coherencia]
#351229 - 03/06/16 09:55 PM

What Intel graphics cards are you referring to? The oldest Intel graphics card I tested was an Intel HD 3000, which worked.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#351230 - 03/06/16 09:58 PM

> Hello. I tested MAME with various several versions ago to today and the old intel
> integrated graphic cards not work with MAME, MAME show a black screen with none
> messages and in many times block the PC. I tested all the methods described in google
> and in the wiki for this cards and none work, MAME simply not work with old intel
> integrated graphic cards, and I tested two PC's with different intel graphic cards.

What cards, and did you try the -video gdi fallback mode? In general, yes, Intel integrated graphics prior to the Core series CPUs isn't good enough to even laugh at, and certainly won't work in -video d3d or with HLSL enabled. Additionally, Intel's drivers tend to be marginal at best for newer generations of integrated video and were far, far worse for those older chips.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: Why MAME not work with the old Intel Graphic Cards? new [Re: Jezze]
#351233 - 03/06/16 10:42 PM

> What Intel graphics cards are you referring to? The oldest Intel graphics card I
> tested was an Intel HD 3000, which worked.

Intel HD 3000 (and even 2X00) are a part of the Core series.

Oldest Core Intel HD graphics products dates back to ~Jan 2011; well over 5 years ago. Integrated Intel graphics older than that being utilized, a system is very likely SOL for D3D/HLSL.

Dr. Spankenstein
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/10
Send PM

Re: Why MAME not work with the old Intel Graphic Cards? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#351234 - 03/06/16 10:44 PM

I have an Intel Core i7 6700k. Unfortunately, I can't get -hlsl to apply any post processing effects to the image using just the IGP. Instead, the image will appear unprocessed on the screen.

I am using MAME 0.171 64-bit which I downloaded from the official site here: http://mamedev.org/release.html

Can anyone else please confirm or deny this using their Intel IGP?

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#351238 - 03/07/16 12:29 AM

I have tested Intel HD 2000, 2500, 4000 and 4600. All of them have worked with HLSL without problems.

Here is a list of all Intel graphics cards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units

I assume that any Intel graphics card below the 4th generation, is to weak for HLSL, as they dont have enough pixel-pipelines (2-4). Maybe Jezze can tell it more exactly, as he knows how many pixel-pipelines are needed. Also these generations only partially support directx 9.0, which is mandatory for direct3d/HLSL.

We are interested in any report, so that we could safely speak out a minimum recommendation.

Edited by uman (03/07/16 12:44 AM)

Coherencia
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why MAME not work with the old Intel Graphic Cards? new [Re: Trebor]
#351253 - 03/07/16 09:47 AM

I not know what you speak, I tested a pc portable and my desktop pc with a motherboard Wolfdale1333-D667, with a core 2 duo 2.50Ghz, and MAME not work, not know much more about that (:.

Edited by Coherencia (03/07/16 10:02 AM)

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#351254 - 03/07/16 10:01 AM

A Graphics Media Accelerator 950 onboard? Whoof. It claims to do Direct3D 9 including Pixel Shader 2.0 (but definitely not 3.0) but... I seriously wouldn't recommend anything below a HD3000 for MAME in the first place in 2016.

Try setting the video to GDI instead of AUTO or DIRECT3D.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#351256 - 03/07/16 12:55 PM

> I not know what you speak, I tested a pc portable and my desktop pc with a
> motherboard Wolfdale1333-D667, with a core 2 duo 2.50Ghz, and MAME not work, not know
> much more about that (:.

I said, that your Intel graphics card is probably to weak/low to run HLSL. I see no hope for your laptop to run HLSL.

Try what Firehawke said: Set the video to GDI instead of AUTO or DIRECT3D in your mame.ini

Code:

#
# OSD VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video GDI

You can use a effect-file for scanlines in your mame.ini

Code:

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness 1.0
contrast 1.0
gamma 1.0
pause_brightness 1.0
effect scanlines.png

Your Desktop-PC can be upgraded with a dedicated/real graphics card. Buy a ATI or Nvidia that is not older than 5-6 years and you are safe with HLSL.

@Firehawke: Intel HD 2000 did work with HLSL. This would be my minimum recommended Intel graphics card at the moment.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Why MAME not work with the old Intel Graphic Cards? new [Re: uman]
#351259 - 03/07/16 04:08 PM

> I said, that your Intel graphics card is probably to weak/low to run HLSL. I see no
> hope for your laptop to run HLSL.
>
> Try what Firehawke said: Set the video to GDI instead of AUTO or DIRECT3D in your
> mame.ini

The GMA950 is definitely too weak to support HLSL. It may support the OpenGL renderer. I could use OpenGL with GLSL features on a Mac with a GMA950 although it performed terribly. The card is missing major functionality like PBO. You should really get something better.

Coherencia
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: If I understand all the posts my problem is the HLSL new [Re: Coherencia]
#351290 - 03/07/16 11:56 PM

Well, aparently, I understand of all the posts what HLSL not work in old graphic cards because these cards no support Pixel Shader 2.0.

In the other hand I no understand the GDI method, I imagine what disabling HLSL MAME work fine for me, and no need activate de GDI method video.

Well, I purchased a NVIDIA card for my desktop pc with pixel shader support and it work well, but I need inform me and you what MAME not work in old graphics cards, and I not know if you know that. But well, probably MAME work well if the HLSL is deactivated.

Byes.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

This ^^^^ new [Re: Firehawke]
#351296 - 03/08/16 01:23 AM

No one remembers my problem with my 945 or 65....chipset last year? D3D got this behavior, whereas OpenGL not. I think that was fixed, but yeah if you aren't using at least a 3000 series/comparable adapter, don't use current MAME.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: This ^^^^ new [Re: Traso]
#351321 - 03/08/16 12:30 PM

It also seems, that no one remembers, that those first generation intel graphic cards, where never meant to use for gaming in first place. They where more meant, as a cheap desktop-office replacement. Any hardware-review of that time will confirm this. I cant understand, why people are seriously asking and thinking, that these stuff should work with MAME+HLSL. It would be the same like asking, why Clancy´s Division isnt working with ultra-high settings on a graphic-card that is 10 years old.

Coherencia
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: My words to MAME Team new [Re: uman]
#351340 - 03/09/16 01:07 AM

I not know none of HLSL, but if this work with Pixel Shader 2.0 my card no support this, reading all the posts of this thread I know and understand that now.

But well, I imagine what MAME works fine if you no use HLSL, but HLSL is activated by default in MAME, and none message by part of MAME indicating a error if the graphic card not work in mode HLSL, only a black screen. You, MAME Team, why no add a message error if your graphic card not work in HLSL mode?.

Thanks to all and byes.

Edited by Coherencia (03/09/16 01:11 AM)

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: My words to MAME Team new [Re: Coherencia]
#351342 - 03/09/16 03:04 AM

-

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: My words to MAME Team new [Re: Robbbert]
#351375 - 03/09/16 07:01 PM

He did, it's a Graphics Media Accelerator 950 after looking up his motherboard.

It's not doing D3D, that's the underlying problem.

---

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: My words to MAME Team new [Re: Coherencia]
#351377 - 03/09/16 07:04 PM

No, you've got a mistaken perception here.

Your onboard video chip is not fully Direct3D compatible. It's a very very old video chip and Intel didn't do a very good job creating it. It barely works well enough to display documents in MS Office.

HLSL is not turned on by default, but Direct3D (a prereq for HLSL) IS a default option.

Your PC is just too old to take full advantage of what MAME can do, but you can work around it and get at least SOME functionality by using -video GDI as we've described.

---

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: My words to MAME Team new [Re: Firehawke]
#351381 - 03/09/16 08:28 PM

> No, you've got a mistaken perception here.
>
> Your onboard video chip is not fully Direct3D compatible. It's a very very old video
> chip and Intel didn't do a very good job creating it. It barely works well enough to
> display documents in MS Office.

Just to nitpick, Intel didn’t create it, they licensed the GMA950 core from Silicon Image. It works reasonably well with OpenGL provided you don’t have heavy GLSL shaders, and you don’t need PBO (it does support PBO, though). It sucks up a lot of memory bandwidth from the CPU though, which can be a problem in itself especially with dual monitors and/or higher resolutions.

> HLSL is not turned on by default, but Direct3D (a prereq for HLSL) IS a default
> option.
>
> Your PC is just too old to take full advantage of what MAME can do, but you can work
> around it and get at least SOME functionality by using -video GDI as we've described.

You can also use -video opengl with the GMA950 and get hardware scaling/bilinear filtering. GLSL filters will even work, they'll just perform terribly.

Coherencia
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: My words to MAME Team new [Re: Firehawke]
#351385 - 03/09/16 10:16 PM

The drivers support Directx 9, is software compatible. But the problem is the HLSL, this uses Pixel Shader 2 and the card no support this. In the market are much graphic cards with support for Directx 9 and not be able to run Pixel Shader 2.

No is necessary run with GDI, this card work with direct3d, but not work with HLSL enabled because Pixel Shader 2.0.

And I suggested to the MAME Team add a message error showing "incompatible" and not a simply black screen, much games do this.

For example, GTA 3 run on my card, is DirectX compatible but this game no uses Pixel Shader 2.0, in fact, the HLSL not work.

Byes.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: My words to MAME Team new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#351450 - 03/11/16 07:21 AM

Hmmm. D3D worked fine on mine until about .150 or something, wherein black display occured, but it would coin-up (you could hear it), so MAME was running. I didn't play games on it, just occasionally tested with it. Not an issue now because main and game rigs are quad core/HD3000.

> > No, you've got a mistaken perception here.
> >
> > Your onboard video chip is not fully Direct3D compatible. It's a very very old
> video
> > chip and Intel didn't do a very good job creating it. It barely works well enough
> to
> > display documents in MS Office.
>
> Just to nitpick, Intel didn’t create it, they licensed the GMA950 core from Silicon
> Image. It works reasonably well with OpenGL provided you don’t have heavy GLSL
> shaders, and you don’t need PBO (it does support PBO, though). It sucks up a lot of
> memory bandwidth from the CPU though, which can be a problem in itself especially
> with dual monitors and/or higher resolutions.
>
> > HLSL is not turned on by default, but Direct3D (a prereq for HLSL) IS a default
> > option.
> >
> > Your PC is just too old to take full advantage of what MAME can do, but you can
> work
> > around it and get at least SOME functionality by using -video GDI as we've
> described.
>
> You can also use -video opengl with the GMA950 and get hardware scaling/bilinear
> filtering. GLSL filters will even work, they'll just perform terribly.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7049