View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Couple of MAME questions
#354282 - 05/16/16 02:18 AM

From the internal MAME GUI, is it still not possible to launch a pce cdrom game by double-clicking the game? Any pce cdrom game that I click on appears to start, but I only see a black screen with no sound.

I downloaded the complete Devices/BIOS packs for 173 but Super Nintendo Entertainment system still says Its missing files. snes.zip isn't present in either BIOS or devices pack downloads. Is that particular BIOS available yet (Not asking for links, btw)?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Couple of MAME questions new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354283 - 05/16/16 03:20 AM

> From the internal MAME GUI, is it still not possible to launch a pce cdrom game by
> double-clicking the game? Any pce cdrom game that I click on appears to start, but I
> only see a black screen with no sound.

As with an actual system, you need to also have inserted your CD-Rom System Card which drives the CD attachment. You can't even play an audio CD without that.

> I downloaded the complete Devices/BIOS packs for 173 but Super Nintendo Entertainment
> system still says Its missing files. snes.zip isn't present in either BIOS or devices
> pack downloads. Is that particular BIOS available yet (Not asking for links, btw)?

-listcrc shows
44bb3a40 spc700.rom snes Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom (NTSC)

I presume you need at least that and maybe also any associated device roms (DSP enhancement chip dumps) as needed.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Couple of MAME questions new [Re: Tafoid]
#354284 - 05/16/16 06:02 AM

IMO, the GUI is broken if it allows you to simply click to run one type of software and appears to allow you to do the same with the other but not actually. Making matters worse is that it provides no feedback at all as to why it failed.

I understand the desire for authenticity, but it's a silly hoop to make a user jump through in order to run a piece of software. In real life, I physically insert the system card, then insert the cd. I also physically insert cartridges into a snes and flip a power switch. Neither of these events physically happen in mame. Again my opinion, but mame should just verify the appropriate system card is present and load the software, just like it checks for negeo.zip before running magician lord.

Anyway, I'm going to STFU as I suspect it won't be long before a mamedev swoops in to destroy me.

Bye

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#354285 - 05/16/16 06:05 AM

No I think that's a valid point. I think it is appropriate for MAME to automatically load any additional required software and devices to run something off the software list, but really it could go either way.

But were you able to get it working?

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

Re: Couple of MAME questions new [Re: anikom15]
#354286 - 05/16/16 06:38 AM

> No I think that's a valid point. I think it is appropriate for MAME to automatically
> load any additional required software and devices to run something off the software
> list, but really it could go either way.
>
> But were you able to get it working?

I don't know if it does this right now, but probably the right thing to do is load the cart for you if you run a CD from the softlist and expect you to load the cart yourself if you are running some loose file.

That way you can run (or try to if the system doesn't support it) CDs with no cart or a different cart inserted. If you want to... I'm not saying that PCE is a system where you'd want to do that. But there are many systems in MAME.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#354288 - 05/16/16 08:10 AM

The easiest way I've found to run PC Engine softlist games Using MAME's internal UI is; simply choose PC Engine, pick your desired cdrom game, then at the black screen TAB into slot Devices and choose the Reset option. After the reset you'll be at the CD System screen assuming MAME can access all required files.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Works, but kinda messy. new [Re: B2K24]
#354295 - 05/16/16 03:41 PM

Thanks B2

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#354302 - 05/16/16 06:12 PM

> Anyway, I'm going to STFU as I suspect it won't be long before a mamedev swoops in to
> destroy me.

Use the softlists, Luke. Those know how to auto-insert the system card. We don't encourage people to do that for our health.

If you use loose isos or whatever it's assumed you know what you're doing.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Couple of MAME questions new [Re: Tafoid]
#354303 - 05/16/16 06:14 PM

> -listcrc shows
> 44bb3a40 spc700.rom snes Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom (NTSC)

That particular snes.zip has been available on reputable ROM sites since at least 2010, and probably prior to that. Seriously, go to gorram Pleasuredome, it fixes 99% of what people ask about MAME if you just plop their torrents into your roms/ folder.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Couple of MAME questions new [Re: R. Belmont]
#354304 - 05/16/16 06:24 PM

I'm loading CHDs.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#354305 - 05/16/16 06:27 PM

Would it be under MAME extras torrent? There are no specific Devices/BIOS torrents there.

I can't figure out why its not included in the devices/BIOS packs I already downloaded from planetemu.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#354309 - 05/16/16 07:35 PM

> Would it be under MAME extras torrent? There are no specific Devices/BIOS torrents
> there.

Should be in the main MAME 0.173 torrent.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#354310 - 05/16/16 07:36 PM

> I'm loading CHDs.

Loading them loose, or via softlist? Format doesn't say much there, unfortunately.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#354313 - 05/16/16 08:08 PM

I was just attempting to double click the game (dracula x) from the list of currently available games within the built-in MAME GUI.

Sorry for lack of details.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

I'll check it out, thanks :) new [Re: R. Belmont]
#354314 - 05/16/16 08:10 PM

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#354316 - 05/16/16 08:48 PM

> Would it be under MAME extras torrent? There are no specific Devices/BIOS torrents
> there.
>
> I can't figure out why its not included in the devices/BIOS packs I already
> downloaded from planetemu.

It's in the ROMs torrents since MAME/MESS have been merged a long time now.

MAME 0.173 ROMs. It doesn't matter to MAME if they're torrentzipped-split or T7Z Merged. It's your choice.

If you don't have MAME 0.173 Software List ROMs be sure you're complete on those also.

Being able to click some download button and easily have both those completed hassle free is one of the best things you can do for your MAME !!!!

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Couple of MAME questions new [Re: B2K24]
#354338 - 05/17/16 05:04 AM

I just extracted the files I need from the torrent and left the rest.

I'm a bit OCD with my ROMS. Only keep the ones I play and don't bother with the rest. It would make me batshit crazy to have thousands of roms, most of which are junk eating GBs of space on my HDD. Don't play most of what I have, but they're games I would actually play.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#354342 - 05/17/16 06:24 AM

A full set these days doesn't take up much space considering how cheap drives are today.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Couple of MAME questions new [Re: joey35car]
#354350 - 05/17/16 04:16 PM

Just don't like having a bunch of crap around that I'll never play. Makes my digital life chaotic

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#354353 - 05/17/16 04:42 PM

> Just don't like having a bunch of crap around that I'll never play. Makes my digital
> life chaotic

I have 8TB in my fileserver "gozer"; that way I have everything *and* my digital life on my actual PC is clean and clear.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#354364 - 05/18/16 12:52 AM

Why are they needed? Why can't console software be treated like Arcade stuff, where you have an approved set of roms, with recognized hashes and a Parent/Clone relationship?

Parent: ngaiden (NTSC-J)

Clone: ngaiden (NTSC-U)
Clone: ngaiden (PAL-E)

etc, etc....

I know the Arcade dumping scene has been more professionally handled, but I don't see why the same thing couldn't be done for consoles.

Just curious

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354365 - 05/18/16 01:06 AM

This is exactly what software lists do.
http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/gioco.php?game=shadwarr&list=nes

Edited by anikom15 (05/18/16 01:07 AM)

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: anikom15]
#354366 - 05/18/16 03:10 AM

> This is exactly what software lists do.
> http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/gioco.php?game=shadwarr&list=nes

Shadow Warriors? For some reason, I keep thinking of that first person shooter "Shadow Warrior," the game made by 3D Realms (Duke Nukem 3D).

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: anikom15]
#354368 - 05/18/16 04:24 AM

Yes they do but why aren't they handled the way arcade games have been handled is what I'm asking. Its like arcade stuff is hardcoded into mame but soft lists are a tacked on feature. I guess I just don't fully understand their purpose. My interpretation is that each soft list is a list of roms and the format mame recognizes them in. You can run other types of console roms but those have to be loaded manually whereas if its on the soft list, mame knows what to do. If that part is correct, then my confusion lies in the implementation. clrmame adds to the confusion a bit because it prompts the user to import soft lists during datfile creation. Why wouldn't I? The only scenario I can think of is if I have a bunch of other console roms in a different format in my roms folder.

I know, I'm ignorant.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: DiodeDude]
#354372 - 05/18/16 06:29 AM

> Why are they needed? Why can't console software be treated like Arcade stuff, where
> you have an approved set of roms, with recognized hashes and a Parent/Clone
> relationship?
>
> Parent: ngaiden (NTSC-J)
> Clone: ngaiden (NTSC-U)
> Clone: ngaiden (PAL-E)
>

as pointed out by anikom, this is exactly the reason why softlists exists: to document properly PCBs found in console (and computer) carts and to document the best-to-our-knowledge dump for each system and to introduce parent/clone relationship where it makes sense.

as such the hash definitions are hardcoded, only they are hardcoded in separate external xml files instead of the internal source, so to reduce the exe size of the emulator. the fact we ship the XML together with the emu and it is the team to manage most of the softlist and not some external group should be a warranty that things are done properly. I cannot see anything missing in softlists among your requests.

IMHO you are confusing the fact that we allow loading of non-hardcoded roms into the home system emulation (a must, since half of the fun of home computer emulation is to run homebrew games/utils that don't always belong to the software list, or to run your own programs into the emulated machine), with having a set of verified dumps.
We have the latter, it is just physically distributed in the hash/ folder rather than inside the exe: this allowed for instance to add a lot of info fields (usage tips, original titles, part ID for multidisk software, etc.) that could not have fit the exe and it allows an easier way to external contributors to help the team without even the need to compile the emulator

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: etabeta]
#354383 - 05/18/16 03:15 PM

>
> as such the hash definitions are hardcoded, only they are hardcoded in separate
> external xml files instead of the internal source
, so to reduce the exe size of the
> emulator. the fact we ship the XML together with the emu and it is the team to manage
> most of the softlist and not some external group should be a warranty that things are
> done properly. I cannot see anything missing in softlists among your requests.
>

Thats what was confusing me. I didn't understand why they were separated to external xml files and not internal.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: Master O]
#354384 - 05/18/16 03:16 PM

I never get used to it being that either. Ninja Gaiden or GTFO!

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Touching on Softlists for a second.... new [Re: etabeta]
#354496 - 05/21/16 06:36 AM

> > Why are they needed? Why can't console software be treated like Arcade stuff, where
> > you have an approved set of roms, with recognized hashes and a Parent/Clone
> > relationship?
> >
> > Parent: ngaiden (NTSC-J)
> > Clone: ngaiden (NTSC-U)
> > Clone: ngaiden (PAL-E)
> >
>
> as pointed out by anikom, this is exactly the reason why softlists exists: to
> document properly PCBs found in console (and computer) carts and to document the
> best-to-our-knowledge dump for each system and to introduce parent/clone relationship
> where it makes sense.
>
> as such the hash definitions are hardcoded, only they are hardcoded in separate
> external xml files instead of the internal source, so to reduce the exe size of the
> emulator. the fact we ship the XML together with the emu and it is the team to manage
> most of the softlist and not some external group should be a warranty that things are
> done properly. I cannot see anything missing in softlists among your requests.
>
> IMHO you are confusing the fact that we allow loading of non-hardcoded roms into the
> home system emulation (a must, since half of the fun of home computer emulation is to
> run homebrew games/utils that don't always belong to the software list, or to run
> your own programs into the emulated machine), with having a set of verified dumps.
> We have the latter, it is just physically distributed in the hash/ folder rather than
> inside the exe: this allowed for instance to add a lot of info fields (usage tips,
> original titles, part ID for multidisk software, etc.) that could not have fit the
> exe and it allows an easier way to external contributors to help the team without
> even the need to compile the emulator

Thanks for that explanation. I had been curious as to what purpose the hash folder served.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2492