MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering?
#354935 - 05/29/16 08:31 PM

I've tried enabling/disabling triplebuffer, waitvsync, syncrefresh options but none of them seems to have any effect on screen. I'm still having some flickering and tearing effects while playing fast scrolling games such as New Rally-X for example.

I'm using OpenGL renderer. The BGFX renderer seems to be a little better but the screen 'jumps' from time to time instead of flickering. And I can't have the Lottes textures applied to it so it looks terrible.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#354938 - 05/29/16 08:50 PM

I use triple buffering with NO vsync and NO sync refresh with Direct3D and I don't get any tearing. Try that.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: anikom15]
#354945 - 05/29/16 09:44 PM

Same here. I can enable or disable those options and I don't experience any of the problems he's listed

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#354946 - 05/29/16 09:50 PM

> I've tried enabling/disabling triplebuffer, waitvsync, syncrefresh options but none
> of them seems to have any effect on screen. I'm still having some flickering and
> tearing effects while playing fast scrolling games such as New Rally-X for example.
>
> I'm using OpenGL renderer. The BGFX renderer seems to be a little better but the
> screen 'jumps' from time to time instead of flickering. And I can't have the Lottes
> textures applied to it so it looks terrible.

Nvidia G-Sync/AMD FreeSync Display

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: anikom15]
#354947 - 05/29/16 09:51 PM

> I use triple buffering with NO vsync and NO sync refresh with Direct3D and I don't
> get any tearing. Try that.

That works, but then I have the glsl effects removed. It won't fix my problem. I need to have no tearing while using GLSL at the same time.

>Nvidia G-Sync/AMD FreeSync Display

I have an AMD Radeon R7 260X card. Where is this AMD freesync option located? I'll give it a try

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#354948 - 05/29/16 10:16 PM

> And I can't have the Lottes
> textures applied to it so it looks terrible.

Gee, that's a good way to motivate me to port Tim's shaders over.

anikom15
Send PM

#354949 - 05/29/16 10:42 PM

Have you tried using HLSL? You can get good results.

For freesync you need a freesync monitor.

Edited by anikom15 (05/29/16 10:43 PM)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#354950 - 05/29/16 10:52 PM

I've just discovered that my TV does not support Freesync. My graphics card has the option, but it says the TV does not support it.

But now I've turned waitvsync option ON and enabled openGL triplebuffer on my graphic card settings and it worked!!!

Eventhow, the animation is not quite fluid. It still keeps doing quick little 'pauses' during gameplay. But I guess its better than having tearing and flickering everywhere.

Thanks for the replies people!! Problem solved!

anikom15
Send PM

#354951 - 05/29/16 11:00 PM

You should try without vsync first and the delay might go away. Vsync should always be a last resort option to eliminate tearing because it changes the framerate.

I always keep vsync off even if there is tearing because I find vsync annoying.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#354956 - 05/30/16 01:10 AM

The pauses are because the arcade machine ran at 288x224@60.606060Hz. Your TV is going to be 59/60Hz. As these don't directly match, they're going to be out of sync and you'll get a slight jerk periodically as they get back into alignment.

The correct answer for this is to have a monitor capable of 50-120hz and use GSync/Freesync with it. Anything else is just a band-aid to minimize the appearance of these issues.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Firehawke]
#354961 - 05/30/16 04:15 AM

Hummmm...now I understand where the issue is. Thanks for the explanation!

However, I like it more with the video card sync option turned ON. The scrolling is smooth and it looks better now than before.

I hope that we can have TV's with freesync support, or with those refresh rates soon. Or am I asking too much here?

anikom15
Send PM

#354970 - 05/30/16 07:53 AM

It's unlikely because television content is generally standardized. It is either 24 000/1001, 30 000/1001, 50, or 60 000/1001 fps. So television manufacturers have little incentive to make arbitrary framerates fully compatible. (Many TVs can now select a film mode which will properly sync with 24 fps film, but that's a different technology.) Computer games have always had tearing issues, so GSync/Freesync is targeted to the computer market.

Btw, consoles are designed for TVs and have no tearing issues. I honestly have no idea why this can't be done with computers. Even when computers used TVs as monitors they had tearing. It's 2016 and we still have this shit.

Edited by anikom15 (05/30/16 08:01 AM)

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#354974 - 05/30/16 09:10 AM

The best thing ever for MAME on Windows, was GroovyMAME's system, allowing you to define whether you want it to sync to your monitor's refresh to garantee smooth scrolling, or if the game is too far-off 60Hz to use an alternative triple-buffering implementation also queuing less. A trigger limit in Hz offset could be determined to select automatically between the two solutions.
This also allowed to use D3D9ex which works with less queued frames on every friggin Windows from Vista to 10, and until now produced the lowest lag figures measured.
All-in-all far superior to what the current MAME offers.
(Also, 'frame_delay' and 'vsync_offset' options were available to tune manually and reach even better lag performance depending on the emulated hardware and your computer's performance)

No news from GroovyMAME's author since he joined the MAME team though, last version was 0.171, and no development news of a similarly efficient system in baseline MAME yet...

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#354995 - 05/30/16 08:49 PM

> > And I can't have the Lottes
> > textures applied to it so it looks terrible.
>
> Gee, that's a good way to motivate me to port Tim's shaders over.

Sorry, I didn't mean that! I'm just saying that I don't use HLSL and prefer to use Lottes GLSL shaders because with a single option turned ON and a path to the desired shader, all my games have consistent and uniform arcade monitor textures. And if Lottes horizontal and vertical shaders are not 100% faithful to the old arcade monitors, they are at least pretty d&*n close, as shown on his website.

HLSL may have advantages because it's flexible and has a LOT of options. But to the regular Joe (AKA - myself), who just wants to play arcade games the way they looked back in the day without too much patience to keep messing around with 200 parameters to get a display which looks like those old arcade monitors, it won't be a good choice IMHO.

My suggestion to the HLSL developers would be to 'enclose' predefined settings in the way Lottes did, taking away from the regular users the 'in'-hability to set their own parameters (which in 99% of the cases would be innacurate anyway, since we don't have an arcade monitor to compare output results). In this case, less is more....again, IMHO.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#354996 - 05/30/16 09:01 PM

> Btw, consoles are designed for TVs and have no tearing issues.

plenty of PS3 and Xbox 360 games have tearing issues.... it happened on older generations too, I think our memories plaster over it.

anikom15
Send PM

#355018 - 05/31/16 02:09 AM

HLSL does have presets now, although they are IMO too overdramatic, but so is Lotte's shader so

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#355035 - 05/31/16 01:46 PM

> HLSL does have presets now, although they are IMO too overdramatic, but so is Lotte's
> shader so

Really? How do I activate them? How many of them are available?

anikom15
Send PM

#355042 - 05/31/16 04:46 PM

You just run a game in MAME with hlsl enabled (filter off) and they'll be used appropriately. You can see all the presets in ini/presets and you can add your own as SET_NAME.ini or even DRIVER.ini, e.g. msx.ini for custom hlsl settings all MSX systems.

The raster preset is bad though, because it crushes whites and alters the colors in a gross way. You can say it looks like a CRT that's been sitting in a bar since the Raiders won the Super Bowl, but if you look at a color ramp test pattern (e.g. mk2) you can see it's not really representative of any TV or monitor. All right I'm just rambling, but basically don't bother with the color matrices. The colors for these games are good. I wanted to write a tutorial about how to maximize contrast with bloom (because shadow mask and scanlines darken the picture) so you don't crush blacks or whites, but really it's just a matter of checking the output of test signals so you can see how things look at the extremes.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#355046 - 05/31/16 06:15 PM

> Btw, consoles are designed for TVs and have no tearing issues.

On the contrary, the 360/PS3 generation is well-known for games that tear, sometimes multiple tears per frame.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: LensLarque]
#355048 - 05/31/16 06:16 PM

> The best thing ever for MAME on Windows, was GSync/FreeSync.

Fixed that for ya.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#355050 - 05/31/16 06:30 PM

> > The best thing ever for MAME on Windows, was GSync/FreeSync.
>
> Fixed that for ya.

Are we going to have these options?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#355052 - 05/31/16 07:14 PM

> > > The best thing ever for MAME on Windows, was GSync/FreeSync.
> >
> > Fixed that for ya.
>
> Are we going to have these options?

You can use GSync/FreeSync NOW - you just need qualifying minimal ATI/NVidia graphics card and LCD monitor combination.

- Stiletto

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Stiletto]
#355055 - 05/31/16 08:17 PM

> > > > The best thing ever for MAME on Windows, was GSync/FreeSync.
> > >
> > > Fixed that for ya.
> >
> > Are we going to have these options?
>
> You can use GSync/FreeSync NOW - you just need qualifying minimal ATI/NVidia graphics
> card and LCD monitor combination.
>
> - Stiletto

Yeah, my Radeon R7 260X has Freesync already, but my old Samsung 32" TV does not. I guess it will be easier to try turning a new Freesync-capable monitor into a TV instead of waiting for TV manufacturers to include the Freesync technology in newer TV models. I think the latter is the best scenario, but the less probable to happen.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#355058 - 05/31/16 09:18 PM

> Fixed that for ya.

Is this mamedev's answer ? I mean do you guys plan to leave it as it is (poor and bad options for sync and lag) and just tell people to buy G/Free-Sync compatible hardware ?

If so then it really looks like GroovyMAME was in fact assimilated to make murdering it easier/smoother, or politically acceptable, and the superior solutions it offered in that field will never come back whether as GM or whithin baseline, or if they do it'll be God knows when maybe in a decade.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: LensLarque]
#355065 - 05/31/16 10:46 PM

> > Fixed that for ya.
>
> Is this mamedev's answer ? I mean do you guys plan to leave it as it is (poor and bad
> options for sync and lag) and just tell people to buy G/Free-Sync compatible hardware
> ?
>
> If so then it really looks like GroovyMAME was in fact assimilated to make murdering
> it easier/smoother, or politically acceptable, and the superior solutions it offered
> in that field will never come back whether as GM or whithin baseline, or if they do
> it'll be God knows when maybe in a decade.

Do you even understand what it is that you're writing here?

The tearing, lag, and bad experience you speak of is because your display is LOCKED to a fixed refresh rate!

Different games run at different hZ - different different different as in not locked like your display is.

It's not a MAME issue or problem even though there's ini options to try and cushion that a bit.

Get a display capable of a variable refresh rate and all those bad things go totally away.

Yes, my Acer Predator XB271HU was expensive as hell and there are cheaper alternatives currently available, but my MAME experience has improved by a factor of 10000000

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: B2K24]
#355068 - 05/31/16 11:38 PM

> > > Fixed that for ya.
> >
> > Is this mamedev's answer ? I mean do you guys plan to leave it as it is (poor and
> bad
> > options for sync and lag) and just tell people to buy G/Free-Sync compatible
> hardware
> > ?
> >
> > If so then it really looks like GroovyMAME was in fact assimilated to make
> murdering
> > it easier/smoother, or politically acceptable, and the superior solutions it
> offered
> > in that field will never come back whether as GM or whithin baseline, or if they do
> > it'll be God knows when maybe in a decade.
>
> Do you even understand what it is that you're writing here?
>
> The tearing, lag, and bad experience you speak of is because your display is LOCKED
> to a fixed refresh rate!
>
> Different games run at different hZ - different different different as in not locked
> like your display is.
>
> It's not a MAME issue or problem even though there's ini options to try and cushion
> that a bit.
>
> Get a display capable of a variable refresh rate and all those bad things go totally
> away.
>
> Yes, my Acer Predator XB271HU was expensive as hell and there are cheaper
> alternatives currently available, but my MAME experience has improved by a factor of
> 10000000

I know perfectly well what I'm saying, what I mean is for people who don't have nearly a thousand bucks to put in a monitor+compatible gpu, or want to play on their TV.
And GroovyMAME offered the best options to deal with that and you know it, but as usual you'll all play dumb.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#355070 - 05/31/16 11:59 PM

> > Fixed that for ya.
>
> Is this mamedev's answer ? I mean do you guys plan to leave it as it is (poor and bad
> options for sync and lag) and just tell people to buy G/Free-Sync compatible hardware
> ?
>
> If so then it really looks like GroovyMAME was in fact assimilated to make murdering
> it easier/smoother, or politically acceptable, and the superior solutions it offered
> in that field will never come back whether as GM or whithin baseline, or if they do

Jesus, what are you talking? assimilated, murdering... to much ego-shooting?
Calamity, the creator of GroovyMAME joined the mame-dev team, to port all the good things from GroovyMAME to the official one and good things need some time. Some stuff is already in official, like integer scaling for example. Other things will follow. Just be patient.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355071 - 06/01/16 12:04 AM

> I know perfectly well what I'm saying, what I mean is for people who don't have
> nearly a thousand bucks to put in a monitor+compatible gpu, or want to play on their
> TV.
> And GroovyMAME offered the best options to deal with that and you know it, but as
> usual you'll all play dumb.

Dude, you could take the latest .diff files from GroovyMAME and use them to compile them with the official source. I am pretty sure, it will work well in 99% of the cases.

anikom15
Send PM

#355075 - 06/01/16 12:55 AM

You make me cringe.

anikom15
Send PM

#355077 - 06/01/16 12:58 AM

> > > > Fixed that for ya.
> > >
> > > Is this mamedev's answer ? I mean do you guys plan to leave it as it is (poor and
> > bad
> > > options for sync and lag) and just tell people to buy G/Free-Sync compatible
> > hardware
> > > ?
> > >
> > > If so then it really looks like GroovyMAME was in fact assimilated to make
> > murdering
> > > it easier/smoother, or politically acceptable, and the superior solutions it
> > offered
> > > in that field will never come back whether as GM or whithin baseline, or if they
> do
> > > it'll be God knows when maybe in a decade.
> >
> > Do you even understand what it is that you're writing here?
> >
> > The tearing, lag, and bad experience you speak of is because your display is LOCKED
> > to a fixed refresh rate!
> >
> > Different games run at different hZ - different different different as in not
> locked
> > like your display is.
> >
> > It's not a MAME issue or problem even though there's ini options to try and cushion
> > that a bit.
> >
> > Get a display capable of a variable refresh rate and all those bad things go
> totally
> > away.
> >
> > Yes, my Acer Predator XB271HU was expensive as hell and there are cheaper
> > alternatives currently available, but my MAME experience has improved by a factor
> of
> > 10000000
>
> I know perfectly well what I'm saying, what I mean is for people who don't have
> nearly a thousand bucks to put in a monitor+compatible gpu, or want to play on their
> TV.
> And GroovyMAME offered the best options to deal with that and you know it, but as
> usual you'll all play dumb.

When you're stealing arcade games and playing them for free you really should not be complaining about being unable to buy a new monitor.

If the lag is really that bad then you're probably either doing something wrong or you don't have good enough hardware. Turn off vsync.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: uman]
#355078 - 06/01/16 01:07 AM

What .diffs ? There aren't any, GM stopped at 0.171 and it's not my fault Calamity isn't giving any signs of life.
'be patient people have lives' sure, that's fine we all understand, we can wait.
But prolonged silence isn't right, you have to chime in once in a while to tell people it's not dead and they'll have to wait more.

Long silence plus a mamedev coming and and saying there's "no problem" and dropping the $1000 solution, it's hard not to think the matter has been sidelined.

Then uman, for someone who's had the build he's contributing to nealy disappear you should be more understanding.
As for ego please, I've seen you enough bitch on these very forums.

@anikom15: congratulation on demonstrating you're a cunt.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#355079 - 06/01/16 01:22 AM

> Long silence plus a mamedev coming and and saying there's "no problem" and dropping
> the $1000 solution, it's hard not to think the matter has been sidelined.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824267006

$240 solution

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Reznor007]
#355081 - 06/01/16 01:46 AM

> > Long silence plus a mamedev coming and and saying there's "no problem" and dropping
> > the $1000 solution, it's hard not to think the matter has been sidelined.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824267006
>
> $240 solution

Don't want that TN abomination, and I don't have an AMD gpu.
Plus I often play on TVs or using different computers at different places.
Baseline MAME as it is doesn't come close to GroovyMAME in these situations where you only have normal hardware you can use.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#355083 - 06/01/16 02:24 AM

Surely the solution to this is to grab GroovyMame .171, and use it?

Sure you won't get some of the newer Mame features, but you simply have to prioritize what's more important to you.

I decided that my system would stick with .160 - since I have a frontend that does everything I want, and the new built-in interface for Mame is pretty poor for 2016 (circa mid-90's it might have been decent). I'll try different frontends over time to see if any catches my fancy. But then, I'm not interested in pretending I have an arcade monitor with the fake scanlines......

So my advice would be - use the older version of Groovymame. If you want to keep an eye on new developments, to find out when the Groovymame features appear in the core, then do that.

I suffer the screen tearing too. I just put up with it. When I buy a new monitor i'll think about things then.....

anikom15
Send PM

#355084 - 06/01/16 02:31 AM

Why don't you actually file feature requests and bug reports instead of calling people cunts?

anikom15
Send PM

#355086 - 06/01/16 02:35 AM

> > > Long silence plus a mamedev coming and and saying there's "no problem" and
> dropping
> > > the $1000 solution, it's hard not to think the matter has been sidelined.
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824267006
> >
> > $240 solution
>
> Don't want that TN abomination, and I don't have an AMD gpu.
> Plus I often play on TVs or using different computers at different places.
> Baseline MAME as it is doesn't come close to GroovyMAME in these situations where you
> only have normal hardware you can use.

'I demand frameperfect gameplay!'
*Offers an affordable solution*
'I don't want your shitty TN monitor.'

Get a fucking job.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355087 - 06/01/16 02:40 AM

> What .diffs ? There aren't any, GM stopped at 0.171 and it's not my fault Calamity
> isn't giving any signs of life.
> 'be patient people have lives' sure, that's fine we all understand, we can wait.
> But prolonged silence isn't right, you have to chime in once in a while to tell
> people it's not dead and they'll have to wait more.
>
> Long silence plus a mamedev coming and and saying there's "no problem" and dropping
> the $1000 solution, it's hard not to think the matter has been sidelined.
>
> Then uman, for someone who's had the build he's contributing to nealy disappear you
> should be more understanding.
> As for ego please, I've seen you enough bitch on these very forums.
>
> @anikom15: congratulation on demonstrating you're a cunt.

Why are you crying rivers here? The .diff files are on the very first page of the GroovyMAME thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135823.0.html
They are like a patch and alter the files of a source. In fact, thats how GroovyMAME is made of. Get familiar with a compiler and create a GroovyMAME 0174 version on your own. There are many tutorials, how to do this, even on this site.

Lets not hope that something bad has happen to Calamity, but you are assuming that the mame-devs are guilty for his absence, which is 100% not the case. I believe that Calamity is more a person, who dont like to speak so much of "coming soon". He is rather someone who do his work silently and surprise people, if things are ready and final.

There are also solutions, that cost at most 50$... buy a CRT or TV . B2K24´s monitor was a example, not a must. He fairly well explained to you, what is a possible cause for tearing in MAME.

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#355088 - 06/01/16 02:56 AM

I just checked with a recent compile of baseline MAME to see if this still worked

Using the "-nothrottle -syncrefresh -refreshspeed" combo of command line options locks games to whatever your refresh rate is with no tearing.

So things like the Mortal Kombat series runs at ~109.7% speed but for everything near 60hz, it works fine. No tearing at all...

At least with an nVidia drivers.

So at least some of your trouble is that you're just not trying to solve your problems. You just want to bitch about things.

> > > Long silence plus a mamedev coming and and saying there's "no problem" and
> dropping
> > > the $1000 solution, it's hard not to think the matter has been sidelined.
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824267006
> >
> > $240 solution
>
> Don't want that TN abomination, and I don't have an AMD gpu.
> Plus I often play on TVs or using different computers at different places.
> Baseline MAME as it is doesn't come close to GroovyMAME in these situations where you
> only have normal hardware you can use.

Edited by SoltanGris42 (06/01/16 02:57 AM)

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Vaughan]
#355091 - 06/01/16 03:45 AM

> Surely the solution to this is to grab GroovyMame .171, and use it?
>
> Sure you won't get some of the newer Mame features, but you simply have to prioritize
> what's more important to you.
The thing is integer scaling is something I use a lot too and it's very difficult to achieve on 0.171 (you have to find and apply working H & V strecth values, found a few but they don't always fall exactly right) decent options for attending sync, lag and scaling matters all in MAME without needing more power nor special/specific hardware is what I've always been waiting for, and every time there's a step or two forward there are as much backwards so it's frustrating, with GM it came very close.

It's normal to expect an emulator to tend towards that at least reasonably so, because you can't speak about correct emulation and preservation and leave choppy scrollings , too much input delay, and crappy/artifactey scaling if it's possible not to, and GM proved it is possible to do better than what baseline MAME does (like bringing integer scaling since 0.172 indeed).

@anikom15: I call you a cunt because you are, go give lessons about piracy eslewhere, who the hell do you think you are ? MAME is an emulator and the fucking entire world knows what it's used for, and you come here to bitch on them ? And I've owned a supergun and boards for a long time you idiot, but now even crappy old boards I could find at 100 back in the day exchange for like 1000, I'm not a fucking bourgeois. You are ? well good for you.
Oh and, go break a leg or two.

@uman: how would that work ? it's not supposed to work anymore since -mt has been removed (?)
Do you know that implementation, how it works with switchres etc ? If it's possible to rebuild a 0.174 with the same system working then I'll try, it just wasn't supposed to be possible because of the recent changes.
Or would it be possible to port back integer scaling to GM 0.171 until ?
I don't have any actual criticism against Calamity's work, quite the contrary, but it does look like he's gone. Hope he's actually well too, anyway I think it's always better to give news from time-to-time, even briefly and even if there's nothing actually new. Well whatever.
PS: Also I have a CRT but I don't carry it around (I switch places often coz of my job) it's hard to rotate for vertical games, and it's getting really old/tired now.
As for LCDs you would be surprised to see how much I know about those, it's precisely why I know the value of GM's specificities.
But here on MW if you disagree or have criticism, everyone especially mamedev right-off assumes you don't know a thing in the world, and don't even imagine they could be the ones unaware or missing the point.

@SoltanGris42: How woud you know what I have tried ? Like OP I've tried many combinations but never got the same performance as GM, and what you're describing is not what I'm expecting. For MK I would maybe apply GM's equivalent of double buffering, but I don't play that game.
And when I'm not using frame_delay + vsync_offset for the games that have the most lag I want to eliminate, I use D3D9ex, which buffers less on Windows and gives me the snappiest response.
I realize many people are not actually aware of what GroovyMAME does better with its system around SwitchRes.
Nobody gives a damn or doesn't want to hear about that particular topic I know, I'm fighting a lost battle and I'll get dragged into the mud anyway, people line up to ridicule whatever point you try to make, it's always like that on MW whatever the topic if it implies disagreement or criticism.
But I don't care, I know I'm right on that one.
I'm done anyway, nothing to add.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#355092 - 06/01/16 04:15 AM

What part of "he's migrating the acceptable parts into mainline MAME and this will take time" are you not getting?

Stick with your old GroovyMAME build until things are fully migrated if that's what you want to do, but whining that he's not getting things done fast enough for you just comes across as asinine, petty, and completely unlikely to get any sympathy.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#355093 - 06/01/16 04:18 AM

Guess what? GSync/FreeSync are the *RIGHT* answer. Anything else we implement is a workaround that smooths over how PC monitors work at the cost of accuracy.

__Of course we're going to push for doing it right over any other possible solution!__

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Firehawke]
#355094 - 06/01/16 04:21 AM

> whining that he's not getting things done fast enough for you
> just comes across as asinine, petty, and completely unlikely to get any sympathy.

Read. Just read. Is this what I'm saying ?

No.

Why are you all like that ?

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

#355095 - 06/01/16 04:29 AM

This is one thing I can agree on-- most presets are designed to appeal to "I went to a bar three weeks ago and the beat-up old machine looked like THIS" type cases, not anything like a well-maintained machine from the mid-80s would have looked.

We did try to ship some reasonable defaults but people kept complaining that they didn't look "CRT-enough" and so you now have to tone back your settings. This is one of those areas where you really can't win, everyone had a different experience.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355096 - 06/01/16 04:54 AM

> Guess what? GSync/FreeSync are the *RIGHT* answer. Anything else we implement is a
> workaround that smooths over how PC monitors work at the cost of accuracy.
>
> __Of course we're going to push for doing it right over any other possible
> solution!__

I know they're the right answer, they're just nor growing on trees yet, choices are limited and overall represent quite an investment, in particular if you also have to buy the gpu. And certainly that won't arrive on TVs anytime soon, even never (very large monitors are likely to become common and more affordable before that though).

I'm 1000% for the workarounds like Groovy's until then, they're working great.

anikom15
Send PM

#355099 - 06/01/16 06:33 AM

> @anikom15: I call you a cunt because you are, go give lessons about piracy eslewhere,
> who the hell do you think you are ? MAME is an emulator and the fucking entire world
> knows what it's used for, and you come here to bitch on them ? And I've owned a
> supergun and boards for a long time you idiot, but now even crappy old boards I could
> find at 100 back in the day exchange for like 1000, I'm not a fucking bourgeois. You
> are ? well good for you.
> Oh and, go break a leg or two.

Are you sure you know what a cunt is? You've clearly never seen one.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355107 - 06/01/16 01:01 PM

> Are you sure you know what a cunt is? You've clearly never seen one.

Says Mr. Emulation Justice Warrior from his mom's basement.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#355108 - 06/01/16 01:09 PM

> We did try to ship some reasonable defaults but people kept complaining that they
> didn't look "CRT-enough" and so you now have to tone back your settings. This is one
> of those areas where you really can't win, everyone had a different experience.

Shit, back when I first implemented the HLSL system I even tried making it so that it looked 1:1 identical to -video gdi with bilinear filtering enabled. Then suddenly it was "WAAAA I TRUNS ON TEH HLSLZ BUT IT NO LUK DIFERNT, U SUK" from BOTH sides of the issue.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#355111 - 06/01/16 02:18 PM

> > We did try to ship some reasonable defaults but people kept complaining that they
> > didn't look "CRT-enough" and so you now have to tone back your settings. This is
> one
> > of those areas where you really can't win, everyone had a different experience.
>
> Shit, back when I first implemented the HLSL system I even tried making it so that it
> looked 1:1 identical to -video gdi with bilinear filtering enabled. Then suddenly it
> was "WAAAA I TRUNS ON TEH HLSLZ BUT IT NO LUK DIFERNT, U SUK" from BOTH sides of the
> issue.

I've PMed you today MG. See what I say about HLSL there...

Last night I had an epifany while giving HLSL another shot. Man, what a difference!! Just to you guys to have an idea on what it looks like now, I'll try to make some screenthots with my HLSL settings on it and put it side by side to some original arcade monitor photos I have, from both final fight and pit-fighter for comparison. Now I think that HLSL is the way to go!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#355116 - 06/01/16 03:43 PM

> > > We did try to ship some reasonable defaults but people kept complaining that they
> > > didn't look "CRT-enough" and so you now have to tone back your settings. This is
> > one
> > > of those areas where you really can't win, everyone had a different experience. > >
> > Shit, back when I first implemented the HLSL system I even tried making it so that
> it
> > looked 1:1 identical to -video gdi with bilinear filtering enabled. Then suddenly
> it
> > was "WAAAA I TRUNS ON TEH HLSLZ BUT IT NO LUK DIFERNT, U SUK" from BOTH sides of
> the
> > issue.
>
> I've PMed you today MG. See what I say about HLSL there...
>
> Last night I had an epifany while giving HLSL another shot. Man, what a difference!!
> Just to you guys to have an idea on what it looks like now, I'll try to make some
> screenthots with my HLSL settings on it and put it side by side to some original
> arcade monitor photos I have, from both final fight and pit-fighter for comparison.
> Now I think that HLSL is the way to go!

I have to say, I really appreciate you giving it a second chance! Jezze has made some seriously major improvements to both the usability of the Direct3D HLSL system as well as bugfixes and feature additions. He's a really great dude.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#355124 - 06/01/16 04:35 PM

> ?

It is, ultimately, the only correct answer. Nothing GroovyMAME does gives you flawless arcade perfection at the original framerate; only GSync/FreeSync can do that.

Ahh, another MAMEdev conspiracy theorist. We don't actually know what happened to Calamity; given the time of year a vacation isn't out of the question.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#355126 - 06/01/16 04:37 PM

> Why are you all like that ?

Wise old saying: if everyone you talk to seems to be like that, it might just be you.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Vaughan]
#355127 - 06/01/16 04:40 PM

> I decided that my system would stick with .160 - since I have a frontend that does
> everything I want, and the new built-in interface for Mame is pretty poor for 2016

You are aware that you never have to interact with the new built-in interface if you don't specifically go for it, right? Launching games from the command line or an external FE works exactly like it did beforehand, and you never see the new interface.

Of course, if everyone decides the new interface is bad and never files any bugs or feature requests on it, then it will never meet their needs. MAMEdev did this as a friendly gesture to users; we now need users to reciprocate.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355134 - 06/01/16 05:19 PM

> It is, ultimately, the only correct answer. Nothing GroovyMAME does gives you
> flawless arcade perfection at the original framerate; only GSync/FreeSync can do
> that.

Or a real CRT/Tube-TV, which is the case why GroovyMAME even was created and Calamity did a excellent job to make the dream of pixel perfect, original framerate come true on those old abandoned technology. A fact that you can even do with official MAME, but GroovyMAME has perfected this task, with monitor presets and automagical modeline insertions and other numerious features. The GSync/FreeSync support is just a bonus that was invented not long ago.

> Ahh, another MAMEdev conspiracy theorist. We don't actually know what happened to
> Calamity; given the time of year a vacation isn't out of the question.

So true... His last post was 3 weeks ago and his last activity one week ago. It is annoying to read, that people have such thoughts, that the devs are responsible for his absence. Even devs need a break from time to time.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#355135 - 06/01/16 05:20 PM

> > If so then it really looks like GroovyMAME was in fact assimilated to make
> murdering
> > it easier/smoother, or politically acceptable, and the superior solutions it
> offered
> > in that field will never come back whether as GM or whithin baseline, or if they do
> > it'll be God knows when maybe in a decade.
>
> Ahh, another MAMEdev conspiracy theorist. We don't actually know what happened to
> Calamity; given the time of year a vacation isn't out of the question.

Yeah. Lens, Calamity hasn't committed any new source to MAME since April 5th or so, and for example out of the approx. 1100 conversational emails to our development list since then, there's only been 8 messages from him.

He hasn't been talking to us nor is there some grand conspiracy to shut him down. I think it's safe to say he's too busy for MAME or GroovyMAME right now, so relax, buddy.

- Stiletto

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355139 - 06/01/16 07:21 PM

> > Why are you all like that ?
>
> Wise old saying: if everyone you talk to seems to be like that, it might just be you.

Or you guys have a culture of being awful to users with criticism skipping and twisting the points they make, belitteling, ridiculing, typically assuming things about them you actually have no idea about, exaggerating their words or even making up things they didn't say, or even be straight out provocative and insulting, calling them pirates and whatever for some of you.
Typical mamedev forum culture, before getting a simple and honest answer from someone on MW forums you have to go through all that. There are exceptions, but I don't see any reason to be nice towards you guys in general.

> It is, ultimately, the only correct answer. Nothing Mangrove does gives you
> flawless arcade perfection at the original framerate; only GSync/FreeSync can do
> that.

Yes. Ultimately. I know and I've said I agree with that didn't I ?
But again how common is that yet ? Again you make it sound that MAME doesn't need solutions to make up for sync and lag issues on the standard LCD monitors an immense majority of people still use and will continue to for many years. As uman says groovyMAME has perfected the workarounds, isn't that desirable until adaptive sync has become the norm ?
Firehawke also says its normal you're pushing towards accuracy, of course that the right path !
But if that means you just going to leave it at that and tell people "it's your problem if your monitor sucks" then make it clear.
Because that ambiguous speech 'just go g/freesync' + the silence of Calamity: tell me how NOT to be suspicious that it's actually not going to be attended to ?
You laugh with "lol conspiracy theorist, stupid user lol" but YOU make it happen.

You can complain about users but often it's you guys making the cringe happen. Protip: skip all the user mud dragging, ridiculing, and give straight honest answers. That actually works.
Lately I was asking about all those weird files names I wanted to filter out the internal UI and people started messing with me as usual. Then MooglyGuy gave me an honest, understandable and as valid answer, so naturally it didn't degenerate into user gangrape.
But you guys will never question your attitude, heh, it's always the users/guest's who's at fault, of course...

Now see; after all the mess you guys put me through in this thread I finally get something related to my question and concern, and Stiletto forthermore adds a lot to it, I didn't need such a detailed answer but I thank him a hundred times anyway.
Done period.
Isn't that how things should be ?

@Stiletto; sorry for all that but so many of your teammates just have a crappy mentality, it's impossible to stay cool with them.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#355141 - 06/01/16 08:20 PM

> > I decided that my system would stick with .160 - since I have a frontend that does
> > everything I want, and the new built-in interface for Mame is pretty poor for 2016
>
> You are aware that you never have to interact with the new built-in interface if you
> don't specifically go for it, right? Launching games from the command line or an
> external FE works exactly like it did beforehand, and you never see the new
> interface.
>
> Of course, if everyone decides the new interface is bad and never files any bugs or
> feature requests on it, then it will never meet their needs. MAMEdev did this as a
> friendly gesture to users; we now need users to reciprocate.

Well, I'll prepare myself for the inevitable put-downs and insults (not from you, but you know who), and answer your question, explaining why current Mame won't be satisfying this particular user any time soon. It's against my better judgment, but since you're not someone who erm.... looks for the worst in everything, I'll go ahead.

There are some things that I find unfathomable with regard to Mame, and some users of it. One of them is the use of a command-line. Now, I'm old enough (sadly) to have grown up in a world without GUI's, and therefore used command-line for years - especially on UNIX boxes. I'm not afraid of using the command-line, nor too stupid to use it.

On the other hand, why in the world would I want to? In a typical session with Mame, I'll play through a bunch of games. Why would I sit there and type in the command-line with its switches each time? What is gained? My first major exposure to a GUI was 26 years ago when Windows 3.0 came out. It wasn't the first GUI, but it was the first I had extensive time with (OS/2 was used too, but not for playing with). While Windows 3x was very much built on DOS, and you couldn't kindly call it an "OS", the advantages were obvious and legion. We've come a long way since then.

I've used various GUI's since then, but it's fair to say Windows is my thing. I still use the CMD prompt for small things, but 99% of the time I'm in a GUI. I don't see any good reason for running Mame from a command-line. It just seems..... odd and needlessly geeky. I see posts from people saying "Hey, just run it with......." and a command line with six switches and the like, and I get a flashback to 25+ years ago. It's not how I use computers today, and for good reason. I mean, you can administer Microsoft networks from the command-line if you really want to punish yourself, but for day-to-day stuff people tend to use GUI's......

Which also applies to the new UI. I am happy that most Mame users seem to like it. I truly am. But again, it looks and feels to me like something you'd have put together in the mid-90's. I don't know if you ever used the likes of Wordperfect Office (LOL) but that's the level the "new" UI is at (and I'm being kind, since WPO was very configurable, if ugly). The last Mame version I looked at (.173) didn't even have a scroll bar to scroll through games. The Software-List thing is peculiar, etc. And aesthetically, it's the ugly sister.

To be honest I can't be of much help to "fix" or change it, because honestly, it's not really salvageable, imo. I, and I suggest anyone who feels the same about it, have simply reverted to earlier versions with better front ends. The one and only way I can see the UI being "better" is I expect it's more portable (could be wrong, of course). But for me that's achieved by aiming at the bottom of the barrel. But yes, I know, the UI was done as a favor to users, we should be happy we were given anything (an argument that might work if it weren't for the fact that someone can just use an earlier version when GUI's were in sync).

And one final note on this, and it's a general comment about both Mame and all of the GUI's I've tried. Yes I can get them to work, yes I have enough knowledge to know what most of the features do. But virtually none of them seem to have given any time, effort, and consideration to usability. Let's just say that the whole human-centric design concept hasn't been considered (yes, I know, it's a preservation project, not a consumer-product - but let's face it, everyone knows it's used to play games). The command-line, and the new UI, look precisely as I would expect an interface to look if they were conceived, designed, and written by coders locked in a room far, far, away from the actual people who might want to use the software they're making.

Now, before I get the usual barrage of abuse, and the sycophants come to tell me to f-off, let me simply say that shutting off dialog by such antics is precisely what will a) prevent some growth in GUI's by shutting out all voices; b) Create an atmosphere where people won't want to share their experiences since it's more trouble than it's worth. Silence, after all, is considered acceptance. Please accept that the insults are assumed.

What I've learned during my time on this board is that - with notable exceptions - is that there are some people around Mame (either in the team, or very close to the team) who actively hate, and have contempt, for anyone who uses the software produced. There's a strange adversarial approach I don't think I've ever seen in a software development project. It's a shame, because it stops dialog dead time and time again. Many of the users though are good people - and of course, there are exceptions in the Mame Team. We all have "moments" we'd rather be able to delete, but for some it's a constant barrage and clearly no aberration.

Me - I'm on .160. Some time in the future - maybe with version .190 or something, I'll download Mame again and see if things are for the better. I don't hold out hope though, because philosophically we're not on the same train. But in 10 more sprints, dev cycles, whatever you call them, maybe I'll see the light.

On the other hand - coming on here calling people c**ts isn't very helpful either. I fully understand why conversations turn that way, with guilt on both sides, but I see them as inevitable, sadly.

anikom15
Send PM

#355142 - 06/01/16 08:34 PM

'The best thing ever for MAME on Windows, was GroovyMAME's
'...
'All-in-all far superior to what the current MAME offers.
'No news from GroovyMAME's author since he joined the MAME team though, last version was 0.171, and no development news of a similarly efficient system in baseline MAME yet... '

When you kick a dog, expect it to bite back. This isn't the first of your shit. If you have a legitimate problem, make a new thread or file a bug report and I'll try to accommodate you. Keep your political agenda out of other people's threads.

I'm not even a MAME developer. I'm not friends with any of them. You're literally just a prick.

anikom15
Send PM

#355143 - 06/01/16 08:41 PM

> > > I decided that my system would stick with .160 - since I have a frontend that
> does
> > > everything I want, and the new built-in interface for Mame is pretty poor for
> 2016
> >
> > You are aware that you never have to interact with the new built-in interface if
> you
> > don't specifically go for it, right? Launching games from the command line or an
> > external FE works exactly like it did beforehand, and you never see the new
> > interface.
> >
> > Of course, if everyone decides the new interface is bad and never files any bugs or
> > feature requests on it, then it will never meet their needs. MAMEdev did this as a
> > friendly gesture to users; we now need users to reciprocate.
>
> Well, I'll prepare myself for the inevitable put-downs and insults (not from you, but
> you know who), and answer your question, explaining why current Mame won't be
> satisfying this particular user any time soon. It's against my better judgment, but
> since you're not someone who erm.... looks for the worst in everything, I'll go
> ahead.
>
> There are some things that I find unfathomable with regard to Mame, and some users of
> it. One of them is the use of a command-line. Now, I'm old enough (sadly) to have
> grown up in a world without GUI's, and therefore used command-line for years -
> especially on UNIX boxes. I'm not afraid of using the command-line, nor too stupid to
> use it.
>
> On the other hand, why in the world would I want to? In a typical session with Mame,
> I'll play through a bunch of games. Why would I sit there and type in the
> command-line with its switches each time? What is gained? My first major exposure to
> a GUI was 26 years ago when Windows 3.0 came out. It wasn't the first GUI, but it was
> the first I had extensive time with (OS/2 was used too, but not for playing with).
> While Windows 3x was very much built on DOS, and you couldn't kindly call it an "OS",
> the advantages were obvious and legion. We've come a long way since then.
>
> I've used various GUI's since then, but it's fair to say Windows is my thing. I still
> use the CMD prompt for small things, but 99% of the time I'm in a GUI. I don't see
> any good reason for running Mame from a command-line. It just seems..... odd and
> needlessly geeky. I see posts from people saying "Hey, just run it with......." and a
> command line with six switches and the like, and I get a flashback to 25+ years ago.
> It's not how I use computers today, and for good reason. I mean, you can administer
> Microsoft networks from the command-line if you really want to punish yourself, but
> for day-to-day stuff people tend to use GUI's......
>
> Which also applies to the new UI. I am happy that most Mame users seem to like it. I
> truly am. But again, it looks and feels to me like something you'd have put together
> in the mid-90's. I don't know if you ever used the likes of Wordperfect Office (LOL)
> but that's the level the "new" UI is at (and I'm being kind, since WPO was very
> configurable, if ugly). The last Mame version I looked at (.173) didn't even have a
> scroll bar to scroll through games. The Software-List thing is peculiar, etc. And
> aesthetically, it's the ugly sister.
>
> To be honest I can't be of much help to "fix" or change it, because honestly, it's
> not really salvageable, imo. I, and I suggest anyone who feels the same about it,
> have simply reverted to earlier versions with better front ends. The one and only way
> I can see the UI being "better" is I expect it's more portable (could be wrong, of
> course). But for me that's achieved by aiming at the bottom of the barrel. But yes, I
> know, the UI was done as a favor to users, we should be happy we were given anything
> (an argument that might work if it weren't for the fact that someone can just use an
> earlier version when GUI's were in sync).
>
> And one final note on this, and it's a general comment about both Mame and all of the
> GUI's I've tried. Yes I can get them to work, yes I have enough knowledge to know
> what most of the features do. But virtually none of them seem to have given any time,
> effort, and consideration to usability. Let's just say that the whole human-centric
> design concept hasn't been considered (yes, I know, it's a preservation project, not
> a consumer-product - but let's face it, everyone knows it's used to play games). The
> command-line, and the new UI, look precisely as I would expect an interface to look
> if they were conceived, designed, and written by coders locked in a room far, far,
> away from the actual people who might want to use the software they're making.
>
> Now, before I get the usual barrage of abuse, and the sycophants come to tell me to
> f-off, let me simply say that shutting off dialog by such antics is precisely what
> will a) prevent some growth in GUI's by shutting out all voices; b) Create an
> atmosphere where people won't want to share their experiences since it's more trouble
> than it's worth. Silence, after all, is considered acceptance. Please accept that the
> insults are assumed.
>
> What I've learned during my time on this board is that - with notable exceptions - is
> that there are some people around Mame (either in the team, or very close to the
> team) who actively hate, and have contempt, for anyone who uses the software
> produced. There's a strange adversarial approach I don't think I've ever seen in a
> software development project. It's a shame, because it stops dialog dead time and
> time again. Many of the users though are good people - and of course, there are
> exceptions in the Mame Team. We all have "moments" we'd rather be able to delete, but
> for some it's a constant barrage and clearly no aberration.
>
> Me - I'm on .160. Some time in the future - maybe with version .190 or something,
> I'll download Mame again and see if things are for the better. I don't hold out hope
> though, because philosophically we're not on the same train. But in 10 more sprints,
> dev cycles, whatever you call them, maybe I'll see the light.
>
> On the other hand - coming on here calling people c**ts isn't very helpful either. I
> fully understand why conversations turn that way, with guilt on both sides, but I see
> them as inevitable, sadly.

tl;dr Seriously dude just give us bullet points with concrete things like this (this is just stuff I'm making up as an example):

* Make creating custom filters easier/more user friendly
* Add a hotkey to show the ROM files needed for a selected game at select screen
* The font is too small
* Make the colors brighter

See how that is easy to follow and is specific? That's how you do feature requests, and remember it's a request. If it's rejected, don't take it personally.

You don't need to explain your opinions about UI design or anything. Just state what you want, with maybe a one-line rationale. If the devs want more info as to why you want something changed, they'll ask.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355144 - 06/01/16 08:45 PM

> When you kick a dog, expect it to bite back. This isn't the first of your shit. If
> you have a legitimate problem, make a new thread or file a bug report and I'll try to
> accommodate you. Keep your political agenda out of other people's threads.
>
> I'm not even a MAME developer. I'm not friends with any of them. You're literally
> just a prick.

"> When you kick a dog, expect it to bite back"
That's my line. Who kicked who first with his piracy moralist crap ? And if you're not part of it then why do you butt in and attack me ? You're an imbecile and I was right to call you a cunt.

anikom15
Send PM

#355148 - 06/01/16 09:48 PM

You're the one who posted first. I was just offering my opinion, since that's what you did. If you can't handle other people's opinions of you, then you shouldn't offer opinions of others.

Edited by anikom15 (06/01/16 09:48 PM)

anikom15
Send PM

#355150 - 06/01/16 09:55 PM

Says the man who can't afford to buy a monitor.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355151 - 06/01/16 09:55 PM

> You're the one who posted first. I was just offering my opinion, since that's what
> you did. If you can't handle other people's opinions of you, then you shouldn't offer
> opinions of others.

Whatever, let's stop at that.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Hehn hehn hehn hehn hehn hehn new [Re: LensLarque]
#355153 - 06/01/16 10:00 PM

> > Are you sure you know what a cunt is? You've clearly never seen one.
>
> Says Mr. Emulation Justice Warrior from his mom's basement.

ReaLLy?

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355154 - 06/01/16 10:10 PM

Depends on the audience and intent. I enjoy reading well-thought and -said posts. I agree with him about GUIs. I don't agree with him about the MAME UI. Partly because it hasn't been around long. After a year, yes make some fuss. I don't know why it's keeping him from using current MAME......

> tl;dr Seriously dude just give us bullet points with concrete things like this (this

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#355155 - 06/01/16 10:12 PM

> Using the "-nothrottle -syncrefresh -refreshspeed" combo of command line options locks games to whatever your refresh rate is with no tearing.

Doesn't syncrefresh disable throttling?

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Hehn hehn hehn hehn hehn hehn new [Re: Traso]
#355156 - 06/01/16 10:23 PM

> > Says Mr. Emulation Justice Warrior from his mom's basement.
>
>
> ReaLLy?

Yes really. Curse them.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#355159 - 06/01/16 10:46 PM

> On the other hand, why in the world would I want to? In a typical session with Mame,
> I'll play through a bunch of games. Why would I sit there and type in the
> command-line with its switches each time?

Up-arrow command history means you aren't typing the switches each time.

> What is gained?

It's an order of magnitude faster than waiting for a GUI app to launch and then clicking around on something. This is huge if you're doing development (I had to launch "mame64 sun2_50 -oslog -debug" in excess of 500 times over the long weekend), and it's got its charms when you're playing stuff too.

> My first major exposure to a GUI was 26 years ago when Windows 3.0 came out.

You didn't have any exposure to the 16-bit trio in the mid-to-late-80s (Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIgs)?

> It's not how I use computers today, and for good reason. I mean, you can administer
> Microsoft networks from the command-line if you really want to punish yourself, but
> for day-to-day stuff people tend to use GUI's......

Actually, because of demand from admins, Microsoft's adding an SSH server to Windows and making it possible to administrate fully without a video card. Like Unix had in 1982 This means if you have 150 servers, you can run a small script that performs the same action on each of them in turn while you do something that actually requires human intelligence. (Like play MAME ;-)

> What I've learned during my time on this board is that - with notable exceptions - is
> that there are some people around Mame (either in the team, or very close to the
> team) who actively hate, and have contempt, for anyone who uses the software
> produced. There's a strange adversarial approach I don't think I've ever seen in a
> software development project.

That's mostly because professional software developers rarely have to deal with the end users directly. And because people who pay for office suites rarely are emotionally invested in the functionality of the software, whereas with MAME there's a constant subtext of either YOU BROKE MY CHILDHOOD (from older users) and THESE FREE GAMES LOOK AWFUL, ADD ENHANCEMENT FILTERS (from younger users), combined with a strong element of DO MY HOMEWORK FOR ME from nearly everyone. It's why we gave up on the law and just point people at Pleasuredome now.

> Me - I'm on .160. Some time in the future - maybe with version .190 or something,
> I'll download Mame again and see if things are for the better.

You never quite explained why you can't use current MAME except by implying it's due to the built-in UI again. And again I'll repeat that the built-in UI doesn't exist unless you make it exist.

B2K24
Send PM

#355162 - 06/01/16 11:16 PM

> You never quite explained why you can't use current MAME except by implying it's due
> to the built-in UI again. And again I'll repeat that the built-in UI doesn't exist
> unless you make it exist.

I'm assuming he's one of those M+GUI users.

anikom15
Send PM

#355163 - 06/01/16 11:20 PM

That means I win (:

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355165 - 06/01/16 11:32 PM

> That means I win (:

Get out of your basement, kid.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Unwarranted user hostility new [Re: Vaughan]
#355166 - 06/01/16 11:34 PM

Okay, so we work at improving MAME's UI, struggling with a large part of the userbase actively telling us off and telling us they hate our guts, and it's our fault? We're the ones being hostile to the users just because it's not 100% perfect yet?

Sorry, you've got the viewpoint of an entitled user here. You're not paying for the software (or our development time), we're working on the areas we can as best as we can, and we're simply not going to suffer abuse quietly anymore.

Some of us are a little faster on the trigger than others, admittedly, but your attitude is simply terrible and not going to make you many friends.

Really, I don't know why we're even bothering trying to improve things if this is what we're going to get out of people.. yet, that doesn't change the fact I'm going to keep trying to improve things when and where I can... despite people like you.

By the way, commandline options are a 1:1 mirror to INI file options, which can be customized per-game, per-driver, and a whole lot of other ways. There are very few things you absolutely HAVE to do from a commandline in MAME, and it's intended even that will fade out.. eventually. After all, you won't really have that luxury on platforms like Android.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Traso]
#355167 - 06/01/16 11:38 PM

The UI is a long ways from where we eventually want things. Don't be surprised if it's 2-3 years out, because honestly there's a long game being played here, with some awesome long term goals that require a metric assload of groundwork to be laid first. A lot of that is going to look like "pointless refactoring" too....

Calamity
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/11
Send PM

#355169 - 06/02/16 12:25 AM

Wow, this is crazy.

I'm alive, and working 60 hours per week. I'm currently just able to check BYOAC and the mailing list while on the toilet. Sorry, I should have provided some proof of life.

GM had development stalls in the past, it just wasn't so obvious because the update policy of mainline was different. A big overhaul like the ones required for the rewrites of Switchres (version 14 & 15), took me 10-15 days of full-time coding and testing each.

Unfortunately the industry I work in has no predictable holidays and has nothing to do with coding. I can only do serious coding work when my real work load is low enough. A different matter is mantaining a diff in sync with mainline that usually takes me 3-4 hours per month.

Please consider the fact that I recently released CRT Emudriver 2.0 (January 2016). This thing took me a full month of work between Windbg (reverse-engineering of Catalyst), VMMaker/Arcade OSD, GroovyMAME update and beta testing. Well, the point is that I had the whole concept ready in March 2015, but I had to wait for 9 months until I had the time to implement it. I could be implementing the same over the Crimson driver already to support bleeding edge cards but I simply can't afford taking a free month so often.

The possibility of merging GM into mainline is the best thing that could ever happen to GM, devs attitude has been totally receptive, so please be patient and let me do things right.

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Traso]
#355175 - 06/02/16 05:18 AM

> > Using the "-nothrottle -syncrefresh -refreshspeed" combo of command line options
> locks games to whatever your refresh rate is with no tearing.
>
>
> Doesn't syncrefresh disable throttling?

Doesn't seem to on my nVidia hardware with fairly recent drivers. So I get jerky scrolling with -throttle and smooth scrolling but incorrect speed with -nothrottle. No way around that without either freesync/gsync or custom resolutions (really custom refresh rates) and being lucky enough to have an LCD screen that doesn't freak out if you're 1hz (or whatever) off from 60hz or 59.974hz.

But I know I used to get different behavior on systems with different video hardware. So your mileage may vary.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355180 - 06/02/16 05:49 AM

> > That means I win (:
>
> Get out of your basement, kid.

He's stringing you along by your dick, because you keep wanting to fuck him.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Is there any way to effectively reduce screen tearing/flickering? new [Re: Calamity]
#355203 - 06/02/16 07:04 PM

> Wow, this is crazy.
>
> I'm alive, and working 60 hours per week. I'm currently just able to check BYOAC and
> the mailing list while on the toilet. Sorry, I should have provided some proof of
> life.
>
> GM had development stalls in the past, it just wasn't so obvious because the update
> policy of mainline was different. A big overhaul like the ones required for the
> rewrites of Switchres (version 14 & 15), took me 10-15 days of full-time coding and
> testing each.
>
> Unfortunately the industry I work in has no predictable holidays and has nothing to
> do with coding. I can only do serious coding work when my real work load is low
> enough. A different matter is mantaining a diff in sync with mainline that usually
> takes me 3-4 hours per month.
>
> Please consider the fact that I recently released CRT Emudriver 2.0 (January 2016).
> This thing took me a full month of work between Windbg (reverse-engineering of
> Catalyst), VMMaker/Arcade OSD, GroovyMAME update and beta testing. Well, the point is
> that I had the whole concept ready in March 2015, but I had to wait for 9 months
> until I had the time to implement it. I could be implementing the same over the
> Crimson driver already to support bleeding edge cards but I simply can't afford
> taking a free month so often.
>
> The possibility of merging GM into mainline is the best thing that could ever happen
> to GM, devs attitude has been totally receptive, so please be patient and let me do
> things right.

^HERE

To those who were desperate to see some news regarding GroovyMAME, that's the final answer. As we can see, MAME developers aren't villains here, on the contrary, without them, we would have no emulated games to play!!

Developers do a great job on their SPARE TIME trying to fix and improving emulation and all of that FOR FREE! So please people (AKA: users) - stop whining and criticyzing developers behavior, because this kind of thing only makes them to think about giving up this very demanding hobby, which would lead us ultimately to have no more games added,fixed or improved!

I think that all points were made clear here and the discussion had its highs and lows already, so let's stop this 'war' and move on! My original doubt was answered a looooong time ago in the first few posts, so thanks for those who contributed

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 9778