Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's
#355707 - 06/16/16 12:24 AM

http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: Smitdogg]
#355720 - 06/16/16 04:27 AM

Are there any laserdisc games that actually run and are playable in MAME?
I recently looked at it and it seems they are all marked nonworking.

There is no law in the arena

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#355722 - 06/16/16 05:03 AM

Sweet. Thanks to all involved.

I hope the other discs have been captured and encoded.

Great news.......

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#355723 - 06/16/16 05:32 AM

Cliffhanger
Cobra Command
Cube Quest
Fire Fox
Mach 3
Us vs. Them

haynor666
Reged: 05/06/06
Loc: Tarnobrzeg/Poland
Send PM

#355724 - 06/16/16 11:27 AM

Great work

Edited by haynor666 (06/16/16 11:27 AM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: joey35car]
#355725 - 06/16/16 03:00 PM

> Cliffhanger
> Cobra Command
> Cube Quest
> Fire Fox
> Mach 3
> Us vs. Them

Keep in mind that some of them (Mach 3 at least I believe) are bad reads, and will error out / freeze during gameplay tho.

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=3223

this was never resolved.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#355731 - 06/16/16 07:04 PM

> http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/

So that's what happens when Space Ace and Dragon's Lair mix together and better yet, they don't make the minimum effort in hiding it. I love the dragons-lair-project trivia.

Quote:

There were thousands of Esh's Aurunmilla machines released world wide?

False - Esh's Aurunmilla is one of the rarest laserdisc games in existence, next to Cube Quest and Freedom Fighter.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: BIOS-D]
#355745 - 06/17/16 02:07 AM

So finally will we be able to play Space Ace & Dragons Lair through Mame? It would be very nice to finally get rid of Daphne as it's served it's use now. I bought all the Dvds for Daphne to play all the ld games, so they've made there money back & then some from it. All the data for Daphne is free all over the Web now & has been for some time so I do hope Space Ace & dragons Lair can be added in Mame as a working state. Is there not any kind of rule that when an arcade game reaches say 10yrs old it can be emulated or try to be emulated? It would be nice if it is. Thanks again to all the Mame team.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: agard]
#355746 - 06/17/16 02:41 AM

Nice.
I can finally remove Daphne support from my frontend. Ever since Daphne became a commercial emulator, I lost interest in it. It's so difficult to setup and play games in that emulator.
Supporting Daphne in my frontend is pretty much pointless since it has its own, much better than Emu Loader.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#355748 - 06/17/16 02:54 AM

>Is there not any kind of rule that when an arcade game reaches say 10yrs old it can be
>emulated or try to be emulated? It would be nice if it is.

As posted in the past by some MAMEdevs in past years (some posts are archived on MW and probably still could be found on MW forum if doing back searches), there isn't any time frame rule. The one rule that could be considered is if a newly released product that a company is still marketing is earning lots of money, then don't expect specific game to be emulated in MAME.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: gregf]
#355749 - 06/17/16 03:49 AM

I highly doubt that Space Ace, Dragon's Lair and Thayer's Quest will ever be in MAME. It would be nice though to see the rest of the Laser Games added. Including American Laser Games.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#355752 - 06/17/16 05:29 AM

I wouldn't say ever, with the failed kickstarter project for a movie it's apparent that the fan base is dwindling down.
Those games are relics that few today actually remember and appreciate.
Whenever the Digital Seizure agreement dies Bluth and company may just let it happen as a way to preserve it's history.

There is no law in the arena

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#355753 - 06/17/16 07:11 AM

>I highly doubt that Space Ace, Dragon's Lair and Thayer's Quest will ever be in MAME.

Something is brewing within the specific source code file. If there are further updates to get the game in working condition is another matter.

The good part is knowing that a disc data image is preserved. Going back a few years earlier (search for WarrenO MW posts in old threads), there was the idea of capturing the data from a disc in a more accurate manner compared to current method. I am unsure if that has started yet or if data capture is same method used a few years earlier when Cube Quest was first emulated.

>It would be nice though to see the rest of the Laser Games added. Including American
>Laser Games.

Mad Dog Mcree is the one I can settle with although I would like to see WG happen if possible.....WG is one heck of a challenge though. Just to find and get actual Kodak slides, used with attract mode feature, was a good find. Maybe another few more years and WG film reels will surface for sale.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#355754 - 06/17/16 07:18 AM

>I wouldn't say ever, with the failed kickstarter project for a movie it's apparent that
>the fan base is dwindling down. Those games are relics that few today actually remember
>and appreciate.

Yep. Fan base has aged onwards to watching movies on netflix or playing golf etc. DL would be kidding itself thinking there is still a large market out there still wanting to buy their licensed laser disc games.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#355765 - 06/17/16 01:07 PM

> So finally will we be able to play Space Ace & Dragons Lair through Mame?

I have no idea, and for the most part, neither does anyone else on the team, for now anyway. All I or any of the rest of the team know is that a very senior team member suffering from terminal Real-Life Syndrome (that is: got a house and family, generally won the arcade game we call "life", but unlikely to have time for MAME in the future) dumped several hundred gigs of LD captures in various forms onto the server the team keeps deep within its volcano lair. As far as I know, it's pretty much up to devs potentially interested in various LD games to pick over the uploads and assess whether or not there's anything useful there.

So basically, the answer is "nobody knows". You should know by now that any given piece of MAME news exists in a vacuum, and doesn't and shouldn't imply anything about any other games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#355772 - 06/17/16 02:52 PM

You guys are confusing yourselves (and probably others).

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#355776 - 06/17/16 04:26 PM

> Nice.
> I can finally remove Daphne support from my frontend. Ever since Daphne became a
> commercial emulator, I lost interest in it. It's so difficult to setup and play games
> in that emulator.
> Supporting Daphne in my frontend is pretty much pointless since it has its own, much
> better than Emu Loader.

You're removing Daphne support because Kale added one game that nobody's ever heard of?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: R. Belmont]
#355779 - 06/17/16 05:56 PM

No. Daphne is too complicated to use and its support in Emu Loader is very limited.
But I'll leave it for now.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#355783 - 06/17/16 09:26 PM

> > I wouldn't say ever, with the failed kickstarter project for a movie it's apparent
> that
> > the fan base is dwindling down. Those games are relics that few today actually
> remember
> > and appreciate.
>
> Yep. Fan base has aged onwards to watching movies on netflix or playing golf etc. DL
> would be kidding itself thinking there is still a large market out there still
> wanting to buy their licensed laser disc games.

They moved on to Steam, so they still think there's a market. As long as they can make fifteen cents out of a bundle sale, they will keep selling the game.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#355787 - 06/18/16 12:01 AM

>unlikely to have time for MAME in the future) dumped several hundred gigs of LD captures
>in various forms onto the server the team keeps deep within its volcano lair.

I was wondering if it was the new method that was described in emuchat forum a few years earlier, but I see it is from the capture method back when laser disc emulation was just underway. I hope someone else is able to build a similar disc image capture setup like what was done in 2008-2009 years.

The best thread is from two years earlier when work was being done with Star Rider by Matt Ownby at the time.

The interesting posts for ideas of capturing data from laser discs were Matt and WarrenO's posts.

Matt Ownby

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

WarrenO

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: Foxhack]
#355788 - 06/18/16 12:23 AM

> > > I wouldn't say ever, with the failed kickstarter project for a movie it's apparent
> > > that the fan base is dwindling down. Those games are relics that few today actually
> > > remember and appreciate.

>> Yep. Fan base has aged onwards to watching movies on netflix or playing golf etc. DL
>> would be kidding itself thinking there is still a large market out there still
>> wanting to buy their licensed laser disc games.

>They moved on to Steam, so they still think there's a market. As long as they can make
>fifteen cents out of a bundle sale, they will keep selling the game.

To that vast market of about 3 people. *kidding*

It is almost as comparable as a record company believing they can make a profit marketing again early 1900's jazz conductor Paul Whiteman's jazz records.

The customer base can't be as big as they were when there was crowd of players lining up to play the game in arcades etc. The money/profit opportunity ended by year 2000 imo Most of younger generation could care less about those games.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#355797 - 06/18/16 03:46 AM

> Maybe another few more years and WG film reels will surface for sale.

Oh yes indeed, that would be very nice.

I'm willing to bet 99% of people who have ever played any of the games available through MAME have never played this one, and they really should be able to. It's quite an interesting slice of history, and a great game for its time.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#355798 - 06/18/16 06:16 AM

> > > > I wouldn't say ever, with the failed kickstarter project for a movie it's
> apparent
> > > > that the fan base is dwindling down. Those games are relics that few today
> actually
> > > > remember and appreciate.
>
> >> Yep. Fan base has aged onwards to watching movies on netflix or playing golf etc.
> DL
> >> would be kidding itself thinking there is still a large market out there still
> >> wanting to buy their licensed laser disc games.
>
> > They moved on to Steam, so they still think there's a market. As long as they can
> make
> > fifteen cents out of a bundle sale, they will keep selling the game.
>
> To that vast market of about 3 people. *kidding*
>
> It is almost as comparable as a record company believing they can make a profit
> marketing again early 1900's jazz conductor Paul Whiteman's jazz records.
>
>
> The customer base can't be as big as they were when there was crowd of players
> lining up to play the game in arcades etc. The money/profit opportunity ended by year
> 2000 imo Most of younger generation could care less about those games.

According to SteamDB / SteamSpy, Dragon's Lair has 48K owners, Dragon's Lair II has 7600, and Space Ace has 6650. They suckered enough people to make a profit... at ten bucks each. Yow. (Though the games have gone on sale for five bucks each so most of those sales must have come from those.)

I wouldn't mind it if they wanted to port the other stuff they're hoarding distribute, but it looks like that's never going to happen.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#355799 - 06/18/16 07:22 AM

> No. Daphne is too complicated to use and its support in Emu Loader is very limited. But I'll leave it for now.

I use Daphne. Looks and plays great to me. The main thing to get it going within Mala was setting up batch files (or shortcuts, but I'd already done the batch files by the time I figured that out). Given there are perhaps twenty-five games, and I have about ten, it wasn't that big a deal. Depends on the front end, though. GameEx for years was a fuck with laser games, and basically the reason I gave it up.

Daphne Loader was helpful like UI/FX are helpful: setting the parameters via ui, and then forgetting about it. The only issue there is if you want to play other rom versions, (which typically I don't), but that makes me think of softlists for laser games, mm?

Maybe I should look into getting the files and all for MAME, as I wouldn't mind migrating....Might consider GameEx again!

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Shideravan
Incredible tester from Saturn and Powerful QMC2 template maker
Reged: 04/20/14
Send PM

#355809 - 06/18/16 05:25 PM

Thanks Kale for this awesome work
Maybe others LD games can be preserved soon as well

I'm documenting MAME Saturn driver compatibility list: migre.me/pEp4Y
If you want to help, send me a PM

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: Haze]
#355827 - 06/19/16 04:41 AM

Well it is nice to see that some of these laserdisc are being dumped for the new MAME release. Hopefully they will be marked working.

Edited by joey35car (06/19/16 04:52 AM)

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#355836 - 06/19/16 05:42 PM

>a laserdisc update - @Kale's

>Well it is nice to see that some of these laserdisc are being dumped for the new MAME >release. Hopefully they will be marked working.

I doubt it. As Moogly informed us, the rips are obviously done. Not sure if they have been encoded to be in MAME yet. I remember reading Aarons blog with what was needed.

From what I understand (from previous dev posts) that it wouldn't be too hard to add them to MAME once they were ripped and encoded....with a few exceptions including my most wanted Star Rider

Any progress is great.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: Foxhack]
#355839 - 06/19/16 08:37 PM

>I wouldn't mind it if they [DL] wanted to port the other stuff they're hoarding distribute, but
>it looks like that's never going to happen.

The hoarding description is the better description. :-)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#355840 - 06/19/16 08:46 PM

>Well it is nice to see that some of these laserdisc are being dumped for the new MAME release.

Moogly posted the hint/clues. And I posted links to the informative ideas of newer data capture ideas within Matt Ownby's post from 02/10/14.

>Hopefully they will be marked working.

If any are, I wouldn't expect any announcement.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: FINALLY a laserdisc update - @Kale's new [Re: Shoegazr]
#355841 - 06/19/16 08:52 PM

>> Maybe another few more years and WG film reels will surface for sale.

>Oh yes indeed, that would be very nice.

>I'm willing to bet 99% of people who have ever played any of the games available through
>MAME have never played this one, and they really should be able to. It's quite an
>interesting slice of history, and a great game for its time.

Maybe many years earlier the number probably was down to 90%, but a lot of those older folks that did play WG way back then have moved on since many of their favorite 1980s games have already been emulated a long time ago so the number probably could be 99%.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355979 - 06/26/16 05:12 PM

So I noticed that some of the new laser disc games that were added are now removed for the newest GIT. Did the MAME team get cold feet because of the titles of the games?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#355982 - 06/27/16 01:34 AM

>So I noticed that some of the new laser disc games that were added [only CRC info added...nothing else] are now removed for the newest GIT.

Only CRC info and nothing more and that was it until CRC info was removed.

>Did the MAME team get cold feet because of the titles of the games?

Keep Moogly's post in mind for any future reference.

[relevant part]

-
> So finally will we be able to play Space Ace & Dragons Lair through Mame?

I have no idea, and for the most part, neither does anyone else on the team, for now anyway....So basically, the answer is "nobody knows". You should know by now that any given piece of MAME news exists in a vacuum,
-

For now, there is one laser disc title supported and also improvements of emulating the Seibu hardware protection along the way for next release.

Friend's tv character talent agent Estelle Leonard sums it best with her line at 4:20
of the clip. https://youtu.be/x-viEeOd-gA?t=260

Best of Estelle Leonard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-viEeOd-gA

imo, it would be great if Mad Dog could be supported.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3943