View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Chukk
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/05/16
Send PM

Paperboy
#357661 - 08/13/16 11:21 AM

Hey all. I was playing paperboy on mame and i was wondering ( never played the arcade ) is it normal that i can go faster to the left than to the right.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: Chukk]
#357662 - 08/13/16 01:44 PM

on the original paperboy cabinet, the paperboy responds/moves faster when moving to the left, but not so much if moving to the right
(you can swing him to the left into the houses fast, but then he is slow when moving out again back towards the road on the right)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: grog]
#357663 - 08/13/16 02:33 PM

> on the original paperboy cabinet, the paperboy responds/moves faster when moving to
> the left, but not so much if moving to the right
> (you can swing him to the left into the houses fast, but then he is slow when moving
> out again back towards the road on the right)

I would've chunk that bike and then get a motorcycle. Move quicker this way.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Chukk
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/05/16
Send PM

#357667 - 08/13/16 04:52 PM

Thank you. Its still pretty fun. But i suck at this game

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#357673 - 08/13/16 06:38 PM Attachment: paperboy.gif 23 KB (1 downloads)

It was a lot easier & way more fun with the original handlebars & knobby grips.

My niece & nephew love this game but sadly have not & probably will never get to experience playing it on a real cabinet...

It's one of those games that you need to play with the original controls to fully enjoy & "get".

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#357684 - 08/13/16 09:24 PM

> Thank you. Its still pretty fun. But i suck at this game

Everyone suck at this game because this game sucks... ...a LOT !
Anyhow ZX Spectrum (con)version is much more playable IMHO.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: CTOJAH]
#357685 - 08/13/16 09:55 PM

> > Thank you. Its still pretty fun. But i suck at this game
>
> Everyone suck at this game because this game sucks... ...a LOT !
> Anyhow ZX Spectrum (con)version is much more playable IMHO.

I've said this before, but Atari of that generation (80s/90s) had some good and very original ideas / unique games, but the execution was usually very rough, Midway were the same to a large degree.

The home ports certainly are technically inferior to the arcades, but in many cases actually end up being better games.

Later on that ended up catching up with Atari, when their ideas weren't so original, and the execution was just as rough. Things like Pit Fighter and Guardians of the Hood, had they been the only beat 'em up games ever made might had ended up held up high like many of the classics, but by that point in time everybody else was doing the same thing but better, leaving Atari in the dirt.

Playing the Atari titles now reminds me a lot of trying to play Amiga games today, most of them simply haven't aged well at all compared to what else was around them.

(I'll exclude the Vector games from this, because they really were fantastic)

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: Haze]
#357687 - 08/13/16 10:30 PM

> > > Thank you. Its still pretty fun. But i suck at this game
> >
> > Everyone suck at this game because this game sucks... ...a LOT !
> > Anyhow ZX Spectrum (con)version is much more playable IMHO.
>

Topical point i did not suck at paperboy i held the all time high score for all levels and it was never beaten
well in all the time my local Arcade had the machine, years later after my local arcade was long gone while on
a trip to air i ventured into a local amusement arcade and whatya know they had paperboy and as fate would have it
it was the same machine i'd played years earlier as my highscore was still there

Arcade Addict

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

#357688 - 08/13/16 10:30 PM

> Playing the Atari titles now reminds me a lot of trying to play Amiga games today,
> most of them simply haven't aged well at all compared to what else was around them.
>
> (I'll exclude the Vector games from this, because they really were fantastic)

I will mention some Amiga games here :
- SuperFrog
- Skweek
- Alien Breed
- Gem'X
- Battle Squadron
- Fantastic Dizzy
- Apidya
- Chuck Rock
- BC Kid
- Dyna Blaster
- Pac-Mania
- LionHeart
- IK+
- Rainbow Islands
- Shadow of the Beast III
- SlamTilt
- Super Stardust
- Turrican 3
- Pang
All of them are as good as they were those days - which means that the good ones (solid programming) stay good forever.
This list is only a small part of all "aged well" Amiga games, so I will exclude The Amiga part from Your comment... ...If You please

Haze
Send PM

#357689 - 08/13/16 10:49 PM

> > Playing the Atari titles now reminds me a lot of trying to play Amiga games today,
> > most of them simply haven't aged well at all compared to what else was around them.
> >
> > (I'll exclude the Vector games from this, because they really were fantastic)
>
> I will mention some Amiga games here :
> - SuperFrog
> - Skweek
> - Alien Breed
> - Gem'X
> - Battle Squadron
> - Fantastic Dizzy
> - Apidya
> - Chuck Rock
> - BC Kid
> - Dyna Blaster
> - Pac-Mania
> - LionHeart
> - IK+
> - Rainbow Islands
> - Shadow of the Beast III
> - SlamTilt
> - Super Stardust
> - Turrican 3
> - Pang
> ...
> All of them are as good as they were those days - which means that the good ones
> (solid programming) stay good forever.
> This list is only a small part of all "aged well" Amiga games, so I will exclude The
> Amiga part from Your comment... ...If You please

Interesting list, doesn't the fact that 99% of Amiga games update every other frame or less bother you? 25fps isn't pretty for 2D games / animation, the palette limitations aren't either (16 colours with some rainbow / raster tricks to extend it pales compared to other platforms) The stock library sound effects so many games used aren't great either (or the choice you had to make between music or SFX)

Personally I was very disappointed with Rainbow Islands on the Amiga for example, can't hold a candle to the original. Battle Squadron (combined with Xenon) put me off shooters for about 15 years, I thought it was a hopeless genre if those were meant to be some of the best..

Superfrog is.. average, always felt it was highly overrated, likewise never thought the Shadow of the Beast games were too good either, they just seemed to be some 'pretty' graphics, but non-intuitive gameplay, for the most part you just had to learn what not to do because there were no indications of if something was a deadly trap or not; such 'leaps of faith' seemed common in European games (even ones I enjoyed, I still think it was bad design, you could get to a point in the game where it would be a 33% chance of success or game-over simply based on which hole you jumped down, with no indication anywhere)

I think my favourite action games from back in the day was "Bob's Bad Day" closely followed by "Morph" but looking back on BBD now it really is just a clone of Camel Try, and the framerate is very poor.

Dizzy is an odd one, I love the Dizzy games, BUT, I don't really like any of the 16-bit versions, given a choice my favourite version of Fantastic Dizzy is still the Sega Master System version; it might lack some of the graphical flair, but it just seems more responsive and I feel controls better.

The port of Rodland plays better than the arcade, but definitely looks uglier.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Send PM

#357690 - 08/13/16 11:30 PM

@Haze
I can't argue with You on technical stuff (obviously), but I can claim that You were proud owner of Atari ST

P.S. Battle Squadron have professional graphics - look at those backgrounds; smooth scrolling; full screen (look for PAL version); extraordinary music; even the End Sequence...
And all of that in late 80s !
Battle Squadron is simply a masterpiece. I will be an objective on this and admit the only downside is/was a dimension of the ship (too big) - should be a half of its size and this game will be perfect !

Haze
Send PM

#357691 - 08/13/16 11:53 PM

> @Haze
> I can't argue with You on technical stuff (obviously), but I can claim that You were
> proud owner of Atari ST
>
> P.S. Battle Squadron have professional graphics - look at those backgrounds; smooth
> scrolling; full screen (look for PAL version); extraordinary music; even the End
> Sequence...
> And all of that in late 80s !
> Battle Squadron is simply a masterpiece. I will be an objective on this and admit the
> only downside is/was a dimension of the ship (too big) - should be a half of its size
> and this game will be perfect !

never had an ST, had an A500+ then an A1200 ;-)

I tried Battle Squadron again now, I think it's the ship size that does it, but everything just feels so slow and klunky and the framerate, while solid isn't 'smooth' so the controls don't feel as tight as they could. Just feels slow paced too, like the game is simply relying on the large ship to provide any difficulty.

Banshee (AGA) is another that a lot of people raved about, but I couldn't get into at all. (graphics were more colourful, but again felt klunky, not smooth, repetitive sound effects, no music)

I think the Joystick design hurt the Amiga (and a lot of other computers) too, as typically a single button joystick was used (sometimes 2 button if you were lucky) you have most games with 'Up' as jump and the button as fire, which never felt right, luckily a lot of games did allow keyboard play and you to redefine the keys.

(The controller design also really harmed the CDI, 2 buttons, which registered as a 3rd button if you pressed both at exactly the same time, what nonsense is that, good input schemes were definitely something underestimated outside of the Japanese console manufacturers)

On a more positive note, I remember loving 'Super Obliteration' It's Pang with mutli-directional firing and an Asteroid theme, top top game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKj9UrTaTI

Edited by Haze (08/13/16 11:57 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#357698 - 08/14/16 12:34 AM

> It was a lot easier & way more fun with the original handlebars & knobby grips.

> My niece & nephew love this game but sadly have not & probably will never get to experience playing it on a real cabinet...

> It's one of those games that you need to play with the original controls to fully enjoy & "get".

It's better with a Star Wars yoke. I remember not liking the original controls because for/back movement wasn't tight enough, I'm guessing not a tight enough spring. Go to Funspot. Or the Huston gig, I'm sure someone brings one there. Or, to Zapcon, they had one.

Still, I've long been playing with a stick (for speed control) and spinner, and have gotten tens of thousands. On my MAME cabs, spinner is in left hand, and 2P stick is in right hand, with my pinky on the upper-right button of the six-set.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: gamez fan]
#357700 - 08/14/16 12:38 AM

Topical point i did not suck at paperboy i held the all time high score for all levels and it was never beaten well in all the time my local Arcade had the machine, years later after my local arcade was long gone while on a trip to air i ventured into a local amusement arcade and whatya know they had paperboy and as fate would have it it was the same machine i'd played years earlier as my highscore was still there

Neat. What was the geographical difference in locations?

pepinos
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/25/03
Send PM

#357703 - 08/14/16 01:09 AM

haze

the only atari 2600 home port game which is still way better than the first arcade attempt game is asteroids

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: Traso]
#357705 - 08/14/16 01:18 AM

Quote:

Neat. What was the geographical difference in locations?

Oh it wasn't that far to be honest about 65 miles to Ayr from where i live.

Arcade Addict

Haze
Send PM

Re: Paperboy new [Re: pepinos]
#357707 - 08/14/16 01:30 AM

> haze
>
> the only atari 2600 home port game which is still way better than the first arcade
> attempt game is asteroids

Well counting the Atari 2600 in this is difficult..

The Atari 2600 was rather unique in the way it had to be programmed making it very much unsuitable for a lot of things.

While in some cases you could (often with the help of extra mappers in the cartridges) get results that looked 'prettier' than games on something like the ZX Spectrum you'd simply never be able to do a multi-layered game on it with any level of complex detail in the backgrounds; something like Pitfall really pushed the limits of what was possible.

Basically A2600 games really need simple, well defined scenes.

That severely limits what you can actually do, so most representations on the A2600 were more abstract than the originals.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#357708 - 08/14/16 01:44 AM

i thought the arcade conversions on amiga:
- Commando
- Ghosts n goblins
we're real good

silkworm conversion was pretty good too but the game itself is a bit boring i thought (slow)

ps. imho though, the amiga shined in doing stuff away from the norm/arcades.. games like lemmings, prince of persia, cannon fodder, another world, and my personal fave: exile http://youtu.be/hF6ZgFQ0-K8?t=49s

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#357713 - 08/14/16 04:19 AM

> and my personal fave: exile http://youtu.be/hF6ZgFQ0-K8?t=49s

Interesting, though kind of weird. The music might be the trippiest thing, simply because it pans on each beat....

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Naw, dude, you just suck at it..... new [Re: CTOJAH]
#357714 - 08/14/16 04:21 AM

See my response below to Bad A Billy.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#357761 - 08/15/16 05:55 PM

> ps. imho though, the amiga shined in doing stuff away from the norm/arcades.. games
> like lemmings, prince of persia, cannon fodder, another world, and my personal fave:
> exile http://youtu.be/hF6ZgFQ0-K8?t=49s

But games like Lemmings and Prince of Persia ended up looking better on colour Macs than Amiga just by throwing memory bandwidth at the problem. The Amiga video architecture might have been a good idea with an 8MHz 68000, but it ended up being a burden on later CPU generations, and they botched the memory implementation for '030 and '040 Amigas so the performance really sucked.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3274