View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Sadness in the front end world....
#358192 - 09/02/16 12:22 AM

I tried out FEEL and Attract-Mode, and was not up and running in minutes. FEEL doesn't have a set-up menu. Attract-Mode's was just incomprehensible - which surprised me given the author seems to be a native english speaker. A-M seems like it's made for touch screens. Really bizarre. In either case, I wasn't able to set the exe path.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Traso]
#358203 - 09/02/16 08:03 AM

> I tried out FEEL and Attract-Mode, and was not up and running in minutes. FEEL
> doesn't have a set-up menu. Attract-Mode's was just incomprehensible - which
> surprised me given the author seems to be a native english speaker. A-M seems like
> it's made for touch screens. Really bizarre. In either case, I wasn't able to set the
> exe path.

Haven't tried FEEL, but I'm sort of using Attract Mode these days. Once you get your head around the way the UI is, it kind of makes sense. But yeah, it's not exactly user friendly.

Although, the same is true for most frontends. MAMEWAH was my go to for years, and that had some funky dependencies and took lots of config file editing to get it off the ground. I finally gave up there because it required more and more hacks to get it to work with new OSes, as it got increasingly out of date.

I think part of it is just that frontends are tricky. There's a lot of moving parts that all have to be set correctly before the the frontend can do anything. It also seems like a lot of frontend authors come from a Linux background, where funky UI and editing config files is the norm. I'd love to try my hand at a frontend that takes a more Apple-style "it just works" approach, but sadly my time for such projects is too limited to have any hope of producing anything.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: DMala]
#358207 - 09/02/16 10:58 AM

> > I tried out FEEL and Attract-Mode, and was not up and running in minutes. FEEL
> > doesn't have a set-up menu. Attract-Mode's was just incomprehensible - which
> > surprised me given the author seems to be a native english speaker. A-M seems like
> > it's made for touch screens. Really bizarre. In either case, I wasn't able to set
> the
> > exe path.
>
> Haven't tried FEEL, but I'm sort of using Attract Mode these days. Once you get your
> head around the way the UI is, it kind of makes sense. But yeah, it's not exactly
> user friendly.
>
> Although, the same is true for most frontends. MAMEWAH was my go to for years, and
> that had some funky dependencies and took lots of config file editing to get it off
> the ground. I finally gave up there because it required more and more hacks to get it
> to work with new OSes, as it got increasingly out of date.
>
> I think part of it is just that frontends are tricky. There's a lot of moving parts
> that all have to be set correctly before the the frontend can do anything. It also
> seems like a lot of frontend authors come from a Linux background, where funky UI and
> editing config files is the norm. I'd love to try my hand at a frontend that takes a
> more Apple-style "it just works" approach, but sadly my time for such projects is too
> limited to have any hope of producing anything.

I agree with most of this. I downloaded the new Mame yesterday, and the built-in UI is hilariously inept and horrible to use, though like anything you get used to its fugliness.

If you're familiar with most of the older ones, then MameUI64 is the best right now, I think.

Basically the problem with every one I've seen is that they're designed from the inside out, rather then the outside in. Meaning, usability is about last on the list of requirements.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Vaughan]
#358208 - 09/02/16 11:22 AM

> I agree with most of this. I downloaded the new Mame yesterday, and the built-in UI
> is hilariously inept and horrible to use, though like anything you get used to its
> fugliness.
>
> If you're familiar with most of the older ones, then MameUI64 is the best right now,
> I think.
>
> Basically the problem with every one I've seen is that they're designed from the
> inside out, rather then the outside in. Meaning, usability is about last on the list
> of requirements.

it's not perfect, but your trolling won't help.

also, most of the ones that get recommended by the developers *are* designed for usability, just not YOUR use case, they have lot of options there because anybody wanting to use the project seriously needs those options.

MAMEUI is the absolute worst for usability, because you can't even use half the features of a current version of MAME with it, which by definition means usability is terrible.

It just happens to meet your use case, while the others actually provide a far higher degree of usability.

The number of selfish users who think we need to meet their use cases and fuck anybody who needs to do anything more serious with the project is astounding, although not surprising since it's mostly the same people who hate on us for wanting to preserve things they don't personally like too.

Design by statistics and the race to the bottom is plaguing UI design these days, that's why I really hate the way Microsoft have decided that the best way to design Windows is by looking at use patterns because it means all the advanced functionality will end up going away because it gets used less.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Haze]
#358209 - 09/02/16 12:19 PM Attachment: example.jpg 198 KB (0 downloads)

You're right about MAMEUI and the lacks of some new options introduced in MAME core in these years. Though it seems Developers don't (want?) to get the point: Internal MAME UI is not bad but, due to the "obsession" of being universally compatible with all OSes on the earth, it misses a fundamental thing: the word "Graphic" in the acronym GUI.
Here is an example of what was my GUI code. When the internal UI of MAME will be able to produce something similar, maybe a lot users will stop to troll it.

P.S: Did you noticed that old-CRT monitor style in the icons? :P

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Mamesick]
#358210 - 09/02/16 12:32 PM

> Here is an example of what was my GUI code. When the internal UI of MAME will be able
> to produce something similar, maybe a lot users will stop to troll it.

For configuration options, I think that that is a good design.

Humor me: If there were a MAME developer who was truly interested in improving the internal UI of MAME, and was planning to add a feature, would you volunteer to try it and provide constructive feedback, leaving emotion out of it? This goes for anyone else, too.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#358213 - 09/02/16 01:57 PM

You can obtain the answer by yourself, expecially reading what you posted on REDDIT a while ago.

Quote:

[–]TheMogMiner (aka Ryan Holtz aka MooglyGuy)

Actually, he doesn't need to ask for the team's permission to continue to release MAMEUIFX. He needs to ask permission from his contributors to relicense before he can link back to the new MAME-licensed code. That's all.

As for Mamesick, he's made it abundantly clear over the years that he absolutely despises the entire team, does not care one whit about accurate emulation, and would gladly see everything that the MAME team has accomplished over the past 19 years razed to the ground if it meant him and his crews of sycophants have one more "playable" game. Now he's decided to take his ball and go home, and wants to make it out like he's the poor, downtrodden victim here, and you bought into it hook, line and sinker. Well done.

The fact of the matter is that he's been abrasive towards the team at best and downright abusive towards the team at worst. He is an objectively terrible person, and the fact that he's managed to get people like you to buy his flimsy justification for quitting "da sk3n3" hook, line and sinker should just stand testament to that. Nobody on the MAME team made him quit. He's just been progressively more and more butt-hurt on the MAMEWorld forums for the past two weeks since we've started making improvements that target more modern systems, rather than ten year old PCs that people have literally found in dumpsters.

Sorry to break it to you, but there's always progressive brain-drain in any long-term project, and ultimately the people who join the MAME team to contribute are going to be the ones who have more modern systems, not the ones who are trying to get MAME working on a 486 that they traded for a dime bag. Them's the breaks.

So, sorry I cannot leave out emotions. Call me a child or what else you want. I'm proud to be still a child inside. So I can still enjoy to play the games I was used to when I was 10 years old. Remember that YOU started all of this more than a year ago and for my point of view nothing is changed from then.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#358214 - 09/02/16 02:11 PM

> So, sorry I cannot leave out emotions. Call me a child or what else you want. I'm
> proud to be still a child inside. So I can still enjoy to play the games I was used
> to when I was 10 years old. Remember that YOU started all of this more than a year
> ago and for my point of view nothing is changed from then.

Okay, then I stand by what I said. Based on this and your unhinged ranting in that other thread that I didn't even post in, you are an objectively terrible person, and it seems like karma finally caught up with you.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#358216 - 09/02/16 02:21 PM

Nope. I would never have entered the conversation if it was only a year old. The you vs. mamedev battle dates back way more than a year. Probably closer to 15 years. It's possibly the longest running emudrama ever and to the average person reading it boils down to you thinking you are smarter than the entire mame team both on a philosophical level (you think mame shouldn't be concerned to port to every computer under the sun) and coding level (your definition of hack vs. theirs) where the argument has been that you don't understand or care about the importance of making code work like an actual arcade machine vs. simply having the game running. That's where all this comes from, and it's clear that it will never end even after you said you quit.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#358217 - 09/02/16 02:42 PM

> Nope. I would never have entered the conversation if it was only a year old. The you
> vs. mamedev battle dates back way more than a year. Probably closer to 15 years. It's
> possibly the longest running emudrama ever and to the average person reading it boils
> down to you thinking you are smarter than the entire mame team both on a
> philosophical level (you think mame shouldn't be concerned to port to every computer
> under the sun) and coding level (your definition of hack vs. theirs) where the
> argument has been that you don't understand or care about the importance of making
> code work like an actual arcade machine vs. simply having the game running. That's
> where all this comes from, and it's clear that it will never end even after you said
> you quit.

What you say is true. Infact Developers discussed a lot of times if include me into the Team or not, as Haze admitted here in some replies to the Emu Drama. The curious thing is that they *never* contacted me about this in private or in public. Probably they were afraid that I would have filled MAME core with tons of hacks only to make a game playable. Funny. On the contrary, some of them started to call me "hacker, lamer" and "your MAMEUIFX is a noxious build full of bugs and hacks". I never said, I repeat never, that MAME Project is full of shit and bugs. I expressed more than one time what I think about where is going the project (I don't care about computers and consoles into MAME? How can you be sure of that?) and if this doesn't like to you, MAMEDevs and other users... I'm sorry. Though what I said is not only my personal opinion, it's a quite common feeling that you can find/read in a lot of forums dedicated to arcade gaming/emulation.
About quitting.... you misunderstood. I *quit* to release my shitty hacked poisonous derivative of MAME but I didn't closed my internet connection. Expecially when I can still have fun in posting here....

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#358218 - 09/02/16 03:06 PM

Ok, i try to keep any emotion out of this and write my opinion about this.

> also, most of the ones that get recommended by the developers *are* designed for
> usability, just not YOUR use case, they have lot of options there because anybody
> wanting to use the project seriously needs those options.

We are talking about frontends here, a thing that people use, who have their own taste about what is easy to use and what they need from the whole MAME project. Anyone who wants to use it like you mentioned "seriously", is perfectly fine with official MAME. They probably dont *need* a frontend anyway.

> The number of selfish users who think we need to meet their use cases and fuck
> anybody who needs to do anything more serious with the project is astounding,
> although not surprising since it's mostly the same people who hate on us for wanting
> to preserve things they don't personally like too.

As i feel personally addressed with this, let me explain a view things. I mainly use MAME in a cab with a real CRT and want to play arcade games only with it. This is a reasonable statement, because of the following facts:

Nearly no 2nd gen. console would make sense in a cab. Anything with analog controllers and shoulder buttons for sure. Nearly no computer (especially how this is solved with currently official MAME) makes sense in a cab. Too many freaked feature stuff in it, not to mention that many drivers are working only partially and with (still) better alternatives to it. I want to play and have a nice experience while playing in freetime. I still can have a guinea pig situations with my PC setup, but i dont want them at all in a cab-setup, that is made for gaming, so i *expect* from my frontend, that all this stuff is removed, that i dont want to see.

So why do you think, it is wrong for me, wanting to have a frontend that exactly meets my desires?

On the other side, once and for all, i dont have anything against the project at all or what you do with it, as long as the above mentioned stuff is still possible to do.
I dont hate you for wanting to preserve things, i don't personally like. I hate discussions that end in flame wars, demagogic ranting, as soon as someone has other reasonable arguments other than yours or your final wisdom for a (hardware) topic is reached. I probably cant never help with any drivers, code etc. , but i still can be right with arguments on a level of how some hardware works i.e. and if not, you could answer in a normal kind manner. Because that would lead to a way more healthy scene, the discussion would be remembered as very valuable info instead of something that will lead to hate.

Its not the case, that i involve myself just to disturb you all and its also very rare that i even have to say something, but as soon as i see some backlog and have the strong feeling, you are wrong in that case, i will not just STFU. It is then a situation, where i have the opportunity to contribute with my knowledge and experience. Sadly, such things end up very fast on a very personal level, which is not my fault, because of all the mentioned aspects before.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#358220 - 09/02/16 04:36 PM

> Infact Developers discussed a lot of times if include me into
> the Team or not, as Haze admitted here in some replies to the Emu Drama.

AFAIK that was never actually discussed among the team in any formal venue. Probably some IRC spitballing, or even just something Haze thought but never acted on.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Vaughan]
#358221 - 09/02/16 04:43 PM

> I agree with most of this. I downloaded the new Mame yesterday, and the built-in UI
> is hilariously inept and horrible to use, though like anything you get used to its
> fugliness.
>
> If you're familiar with most of the older ones, then MameUI64 is the best right now,

I honestly cannot comprehend how you can possibly come to this conclusion and believe it to be true.

It's almost like saying $10 Wine in a box is better than anything you can buy in a bottle.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: uman]
#358222 - 09/02/16 04:54 PM

> Nearly no 2nd gen. console would make sense in a cab. Anything with analog
> controllers and shoulder buttons for sure. Nearly no computer (especially how this is
> solved with currently official MAME) makes sense in a cab. Too many freaked feature
> stuff in it, not to mention that many drivers are working only partially and with
> (still) better alternatives to it. I want to play and have a nice experience while
> playing in freetime. I still can have a guinea pig situations with my PC setup, but i
> dont want them at all in a cab-setup, that is made for gaming, so i *expect* from my
> frontend, that all this stuff is removed, that i dont want to see.
>
> So why do you think, it is wrong for me, wanting to have a frontend that exactly
> meets my desires?

UI and UIFX also don't make sense in a cab.

You don't have to have a MAME derivative bundled in a front end just so you can play games on a cab. You can utilize the HyperSpin XMLs or even create your own having HS hooked into official MAME and it gives you only the games you wish to play.

There's also plently of other front end alternatives that do damn near the same thing.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#358223 - 09/02/16 04:57 PM

You already said in the other place:

"Who gives a shit about Mamesick at this point?"
"Stop engaging him and he goes away, really"

So let me go away, man. I don't care at all of not being a member of the Team during these 15 years. I followed my own way and I'm happy with that. You, all of you Devs, fews excluded, never accepted the idea that someone outside the "Team" could judge your work from a different point of view. You started a virtual war that from my perspective, is finished in the worst way. Think of it.
I never said your work is shit. I cannot count the times I read the opposite about my work, expecially from people that never used it.
You surely will say I want to do the victim here. Oh, no, you're wrong. There are no victims here. Only losers.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: B2K24]
#358224 - 09/02/16 06:01 PM

> UI and UIFX also don't make sense in a cab.
>
> You don't have to have a MAME derivative bundled in a front end just so you can play
> games on a cab. You can utilize the HyperSpin XMLs or even create your own having HS
> hooked into official MAME and it gives you only the games you wish to play.
>
> There's also plently of other front end alternatives that do damn near the same
> thing.

Well, its a matter of taste. I was perfectly fine with UIFX. On the other side, you can hook what you want with your setup. I never liked HS, which is a horrible piece of shitware, where many greedy assholes makes a lot of money with it, by selling setups to dumb people and you have the nerves by advertising this crap and even worse, putting it over UIFX. Also what is your point of your post exactly? Looking from the POV of the devs, all your alternatives fall into the same "to be forbidden" category. You just picked a phrase from my post, without paying attention to the subject itself: that there is nothing wrong with the way, how people build their setup. It absolutely doesnt matter, how *you* build it, be it with toilet software, or anything else.

Edited by uman (09/02/16 06:02 PM)

Haze
Send PM

#358226 - 09/02/16 06:07 PM

> As i feel personally addressed with this, let me explain a view things. I mainly use
> MAME in a cab with a real CRT and want to play arcade games only with it. This is a
> reasonable statement, because of the following facts:
>
> Nearly no 2nd gen. console would make sense in a cab. Anything with analog
> controllers and shoulder buttons for sure. Nearly no computer (especially how this is
> solved with currently official MAME) makes sense in a cab. Too many freaked feature
> stuff in it, not to mention that many drivers are working only partially and with
> (still) better alternatives to it. I want to play and have a nice experience while
> playing in freetime. I still can have a guinea pig situations with my PC setup, but i
> dont want them at all in a cab-setup, that is made for gaming, so i *expect* from my
> frontend, that all this stuff is removed, that i dont want to see.
>

There are plenty of things that will work in a cab if you pick and choose from what's available tho, and with the lua autoboot features / save states you can set up a good number of the non-arcade systems to jump straight into gameplay, at which point even plenty of the computer games only require a joystick to operate.

There are also a LOT of arcade games you're not going to run on a standard setup, arcades were king of using custom controls, it absolutely pains me to see people putting things like OutRun on cabs with only a joystick to control them, but at the same time arguing that a MegaDrive game has no place there. (and then they end up saying that Aladdin is one of their favourite arcade games, even if it's just an ugly, broken, buggy hacked up bootleg copy of the MegaDrive game that doesn't run how the programmers intended at all)

Most people using a cab aren't going to want a Windows interface anyway, the fullscreen interface, if nothing else, is perfect for use with cabinet controls; if we did force a Windows style interface it's most likely the group running it on cabinets that would scream at us for 'killing MAME' ;-)

Again tho, MAME is a project for everybody so it isn't going to be dumbed down / limited for specific groups, there are people using it today who have little interest in arcades, arcades are nothing special, they're just systems that the end user couldn't really configure.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358229 - 09/02/16 07:29 PM

Haze, you are only trying to dodge the core of the subject here, but lets go further.

> There are plenty of things that will work in a cab if you pick and choose from what's
> available tho, and with the lua autoboot features / save states you can set up a good
> number of the non-arcade systems to jump straight into gameplay, at which point even
> plenty of the computer games only require a joystick to operate.

What kind of answer is this to what i have wrote?

Look closely what i wrote: Nearly no 2nd gen. console would make sense in a cab. Anything with analog controllers and shoulder buttons for sure. Nearly no computer (especially how this is solved with currently official MAME) makes sense in a cab. Too many freaked feature stuff in it, not to mention that many drivers are working only partially and with (still) better alternatives to it.

My cab setup, doesnt include any console/computer or to make it short, its ergonomically a pain in the ass (or foot ) to play such games with a cab. I have another setup for such a case, where i indeed use official MAME or better alternative emulators for some cases, or the absolute best of all... the original stuff (nothing can beat this).

save states are for the trashcan, especially when it comes to updates, where you can configure/ make them again. find a solution for this and we are fine.

> There are also a LOT of arcade games you're not going to run on a standard setup,
> arcades were king of using custom controls, it absolutely pains me to see people
> putting things like OutRun on cabs with only a joystick to control them, but at the
> same time arguing that a MegaDrive game has no place there. (and then they end up
> saying that Aladdin is one of their favourite arcade games, even if it's just an
> ugly, broken, buggy hacked up bootleg copy of the MegaDrive game that doesn't run how
> the programmers intended at all)

Well, you cant help dumb people . I am not that kind of hoarder freak and very aware of that problem. I have a wheel that i can hookup on my cab and even then, there are only a few racers left to be properly playable. No trackball or spinner games either. Once i have the space (which is currently limited), other cabs will join. Like a vertical setup or ones that fit such cases. Until then, i am limited to what i have, still a few thousand (incl. clones).

> Most people using a cab aren't going to want a Windows interface anyway, the
> fullscreen interface, if nothing else, is perfect for use with cabinet controls; if
> we did force a Windows style interface it's most likely the group running it on
> cabinets that would scream at us for 'killing MAME' ;-)

No they wont and me neither, but i use UIFX through GameEx. UIFX is way faster/easier for organizing the setup, keeping updated than any official MAME probably will ever be, as it dont need to go through trillions lists, making me watch a whole simpson episode incl. advertising, until i can move the joystick again and back to gaming.

> Again tho, MAME is a project for everybody so it isn't going to be dumbed down /
> limited for specific groups, there are people using it today who have little interest
> in arcades, arcades are nothing special, they're just systems that the end user
> couldn't really configure.

I will explain it with a simple example. Many people like books, still they dont need to have the whole city library at home just to read some of them. You on the other side try to force people to have exactly this scenario and is the reason why we all hated our teachers, trying to teach us a lot of useless crap. If i am interested in a book i dont own, i go to the library and borrow it and if i like it, i buy it. This applies the same for MAME and how the majority of users treat this case. I am not interested in the whole history of books or the whole encyclopedia in my home, but i still would like to see a city library in my city. BÄÄÄÄM

Edited by uman (09/02/16 07:36 PM)

Haze
Send PM

#358232 - 09/02/16 07:55 PM

> Haze, you are only trying to dodge the core of the subject here, but lets go further.
>
> > There are plenty of things that will work in a cab if you pick and choose from
> what's
> > available tho, and with the lua autoboot features / save states you can set up a
> good
> > number of the non-arcade systems to jump straight into gameplay, at which point
> even
> > plenty of the computer games only require a joystick to operate.
>
> What kind of answer is this to what i have wrote?
>
> Look closely what i wrote: Nearly no 2nd gen. console would make sense in a cab.
> Anything with analog controllers and shoulder buttons for sure. Nearly no computer
> (especially how this is solved with currently official MAME) makes sense in a cab.
> Too many freaked feature stuff in it, not to mention that many drivers are working
> only partially and with (still) better alternatives to it.
>
> My cab setup, doesnt include any console/computer or to make it short, its
> ergonomically a pain in the ass (or foot ) to play such games with a cab. I have
> another setup for such a case, where i indeed use official MAME or better alternative
> emulators for some cases, or the absolute best of all... the original stuff (nothing
> can beat this).
>

What I said is perfectly relevant, there are games on all the platforms that are perfectly suited to cab use, MAME includes a decent amount of scripting that would make them easier to use.

Heck these days you could probably write a lua coin management script and wrap it around the games, automatically pressing any buttons to start games etc. (much like the TourVision bios does in hardware)

Atari 2600 is 2nd Generation, plenty of those games would be just fine. Many of the Japanese consoles from a similar period would likewise be fine.

As for computers, something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bLr-1gDGw
would be fully playable on a cab, just use an auto-boot script for the loading, and map your up/down/left/right and start buttons to the ones the game actually needs, and you're done. The high score name entry might not really work as you'd be limited to the keys you mapped, but I've seen worse in games 'ported' to arcade platforms. Other games wouldn't even have that issue as you never enter a name, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXNGxxm_ao for example.

> save states are for the trashcan, especially when it comes to updates, where you can
> configure/ make them again. find a solution for this and we are fine.
>

Yes, our Save State system could do with being a bit more forgiving.

> > Most people using a cab aren't going to want a Windows interface anyway, the
> > fullscreen interface, if nothing else, is perfect for use with cabinet controls; if
> > we did force a Windows style interface it's most likely the group running it on
> > cabinets that would scream at us for 'killing MAME' ;-)
>
> No they wont and me neither, but i use UIFX through GameEx. UIFX is way faster/easier
> for organizing the setup, keeping updated than any official MAME probably will ever
> be, as it dont need to go through trillions lists, making me watch a whole simpson
> episode incl. advertising, until i can move the joystick again and back to gaming.
>

You do know one of the things the team is hated the most for is the video rewrite done after 0.106? because it means that low-res fullscreen, exact resolution modes are much more difficult to use?

If anything it's the largest amount of hate we've ever received over anything, so yes, cab users would go apeshit if MAME's primary gui was a Windows one, there's a reason things like FBA don't really get used on Windows based cabs.

Now I'm not saying keeping cab users happy is a good reason to have the internal GUI (being cross platform, and automatically ported without any need for OS specific GUI code is a better one) but it again shows that you're really only looking at your own closed little world rather than one that has benefits to everybody.

>
> I will explain it with a simple example. Many people like books, still they dont need
> to have the whole city library at home just to read some of them. You on the other
> side try to force people to have exactly this scenario and is the reason why we all
> hated our teachers, trying to teach us a lot of useless crap. If i am interested in a
> book i dont own, i go to the library and borrow it and if i like it, i buy it. This
> applies the same for MAME and how the majority of users treat this case. I am not
> interested in the whole history of books or the whole encyclopedia in my home, but i
> still would like to see a city library in my city. BÄÄÄÄM

You're still trying to insist that MAME be designed around your personal interests, it's not going to be, ever, because your interests are selfish, the project is about more than you. Your education towards attitude tells me all I need to know tho.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358234 - 09/02/16 09:51 PM

> What I said is perfectly relevant, there are games on all the platforms that are
> perfectly suited to cab use, MAME includes a decent amount of scripting that would
> make them easier to use.

First, it is my mistake that i wrote 2nd gen. consoles, but i meant that generation, where shoulderbuttons and analogsticks became common, whatever gen. it is. Secondly, while they may perfectly suit in a cab, they still make not much fun, to play them in a cab (at least not in a upright). I play them from a couch, like the majority do. Thirdly, if there is a decent amount of scripting, it was left pretty much undocumented or at least with not much attention to it from a normal user POV. I wouldnt know how to use them, but i will look into it and if that case is true.

> Heck these days you could probably write a lua coin management script and wrap it
> around the games, automatically pressing any buttons to start games etc. (much like
> the TourVision bios does in hardware)

This has not be done (yet) and until then, in no way valid for the topic. "what if...", "you could probably write..." is future music and i will use, what currently works for me.

> > No they wont and me neither, but i use UIFX through GameEx. UIFX is way
> faster/easier
> > for organizing the setup, keeping updated than any official MAME probably will ever
> > be, as it dont need to go through trillions lists, making me watch a whole simpson
> > episode incl. advertising, until i can move the joystick again and back to gaming.
> >

> You do know one of the things the team is hated the most for is the video rewrite
> done after 0.106? because it means that low-res fullscreen, exact resolution modes
> are much more difficult to use?

> Now I'm not saying keeping cab users happy is a good reason to have the internal GUI
> (being cross platform, and automatically ported without any need for OS specific GUI
> code is a better one) but it again shows that you're really only looking at your own
> closed little world rather than one that has benefits to everybody.

And? Whats the point again? I never said "dont use official MAME" or stop writing code for it. Dont prevaricate, what has been written here, dont pigeonhole me into something that i never intended to be.

> You're still trying to insist that MAME be designed around your personal interests,
> it's not going to be, ever, because your interests are selfish, the project is about
> more than you. Your education towards attitude tells me all I need to know tho.

No, no and no. The only one who is insisting (and insulting) here is currently you. I just explained some scenarios and cases, why i am in need for frontends, which treats special cases, that are very common in the community and why i like to use this or that in that case. I dont need a official MAME that is *designed* around my personal interests, but why i shouldnt cherish a derivative that does it?
If such a demand wouldnt be true, this topic wouldnt exist and many others too, but no one here said that official MAME has to be done that way. You all close your eyes and live for the project (which is ok), but look how personal it gets again and again. I didnt put me into the center of anything or didnt blame the project itself. You simply dont or wont see, that all i wrote is not against the MAME project. You dont even know me personally, why you are saying that my interests are selfish? This just make me sad, as it is absolutely not true, nothing else.

B2K24
Send PM

#358238 - 09/02/16 11:00 PM

What's sad is you using UIFX for your cab which excludes all the previous MESS stuff including popular consoles.

If I was a guest in your house playing on your cab, I myself would want to fire up some NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. along with some Arcade games as well. On your cab I can't do that because *you* choose to use a build of MAME that doesn't allow it.

Quote:

> > No they wont and me neither, but i use UIFX through GameEx. UIFX is way
> faster/easier
> > for organizing the setup, keeping updated than any official MAME probably will ever
> > be, as it dont need to go through trillions lists, making me watch a whole simpson
> > episode incl. advertising, until i can move the joystick again and back to gaming.
> >

As someone that uses GameEX and Evolution on occasion, I can confirm what you're saying simply isn't true. Upgrading from one official MAME to the latest released only takes minutes. It's a faster process than getting the torrent client to actually recheck and sync up the sets to 100%, so I can't figure out the point you're making in all of this.

You do realize you can visit PlayerDome and get 100% softlists, so you can easily play those popular consoles right?

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358243 - 09/03/16 07:28 AM

I'm reading retro-madness here, not retro-gaming.

Playing ATARI2600 or some consoles in a cab? C'mon. Just go on eBay and search for an old 14'' (or more) CRT TV and build a decent setup. Those machines *were not* designed to be played in cabinets. And at least you'll be able to connect the keyboard and enjoy computers as well.

Though I understand that the future is seeing kids play pacman on their smartphones and move it with their fingers (when MAME will have touchscreen support).

This is not meant to be a reply to someone in particular, but a general hint. Then, it's a only a matter of personal choices.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358244 - 09/03/16 10:20 AM

> If I was a guest in your house playing on your cab, I myself would want to fire up
> some NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. along with some Arcade games as well. On your cab I
> can't do that because *you* choose to use a build of MAME that doesn't allow it.

If you would be my guest, you would play all that stuff you mentioned from the couch. Some of it, you would even play on the real hardware+controllers and on a CRT, like millions did decades ago. So my cab is perfectly tailored to do, what it is supposed to do, playing arcade games. We would drink beer and could discuss the topic and compare with real life examples.

> As someone that uses GameEX and Evolution on occasion, I can confirm what you're
> saying simply isn't true. Upgrading from one official MAME to the latest released
> only takes minutes. It's a faster process than getting the torrent client to actually
> recheck and sync up the sets to 100%, so I can't figure out the point you're making
> in all of this.

How do you know this? Updating in GameEx depends very much, what kind of PC is used. My cab use a Quadcore Duo, but how would you know how much time it takes, as you are always using the newest, latest rig for yourself. Its easier to say "simply not true". Also you never used UIFX to compare, how fast it would be then. Again its easier to say, what wonderful stuff i would miss, which i dont. Its all there, just not in my cab, as it simply dont belong to there.

> You do realize you can visit PlayerDome and get 100% softlists, so you can easily
> play those popular consoles right?

Yes, i realize it and used it also. Last time, i was close to a ban, just for answering to a post of you, where you are spreading your toxicity and mud about Mamesick. On a forum, where he even is not a member to answer it or to defend himself to all of your persistent allegations... well done. At least they have a admin, who does his job very well.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358252 - 09/03/16 12:03 PM

> Yes, i realize it and used it also. Last time, i was close to a ban, just for
> answering to a post of you, where you are spreading your toxicity and mud about
> Mamesick.
On a forum, where he even is not a member to answer it or to defend himself
> to all of your persistent allegations... well done. At least they have a admin, who
> does his job very well.

And who cares? It's not my fault if he plugged his tongue into a Developer ass-hole forever. He simply showed that he has not the balls to write the same words directly to me here. His opinion about me has no value. I still remember when he registered to my forum praying for help in how to setup HLSL with Jezze new code that I was supporting in my build. Then, after Jezze fixes were included in official MAME, he disappeared and come back here to continue his asses-kisser role.

Edited by Mamesick (09/03/16 12:06 PM)

Haze
Send PM

#358262 - 09/03/16 02:44 PM

> I'm reading retro-madness here, not retro-gaming.
>
> Playing ATARI2600 or some consoles in a cab? C'mon. Just go on eBay and search for an
> old 14'' (or more) CRT TV and build a decent setup. Those machines *were not*
> designed to be played in cabinets. And at least you'll be able to connect the
> keyboard and enjoy computers as well.
>
> Though I understand that the future is seeing kids play pacman on their smartphones
> and move it with their fingers (when MAME will have touchscreen support).
>
> This is not meant to be a reply to someone in particular, but a general hint. Then,
> it's a only a matter of personal choices.

Well Sega put the Megatech stuff in a cab, with a stupid menu / timer circuit. Those are 100% Megadrive roms, the files are identical, just with an added menu. Playchoice 10, likewise.

The arcade game 'Tournament Table' is also basically A2600 tech.

The Max-a-Flex games were also Atari hardware with a timer, licensed.

So clearly the manufacturers of the games / systems did think they had a place in Arcade cabs, albeit with a way to make money out of them.

Then there are the unofficial ones, eg. Aladdin, or the Russian bootlegs
brod "Brodjaga (Arcade bootleg of ZX Spectrum 'Inspector Gadget and the Circus of Fear')"
kok "Povar / Sobrat' Buran / Agroprom (Arcade multi-game bootleg of ZX Spectrum 'Cookie', 'Jetpac' & 'Pssst')"

or of course the questionable TourVision

the MD version of SSF2, the butchered up versions of various SNES games like Final Fight 2 where running the original unhacked ROM would just make so much more sense...

Before arcades started using bootleg xx-in-1 emulation boards most of them had things like the NES based 'Super Game' with 20 NES games

In addition there are timer circuit boards available for most of the common consoles too, I'm surprised you haven't noticed this because one of the times I was in Italy one of the arcades I visited was almost *entirely* that kind of thing.

So yeah, people do want these things on cabinets, these things were often used on cabinets... by excluding them all you're doing is forcing the hand of users to use the handful that were officially released in that form, or the horrible hacked up bootlegs that often fuck up the games completely,

By having a complete version of MAME, you can fully explore things, make comparisons, draw your own conclusions. I'd definitely for example say that it would be preferable to run a regular Megadrive/NES version of any of the MegaTech/PC10 games, 99% of cabinets people build aren't going to have a special monitor above the screen for the timer display and 99% of people using the cabinets aren't going to want it squeezed on the main display, and if you hide it then it just looks like your cabinet is broken when the inputs stop working / game resets due to the timer they can't see expiring.

Some of the recent releases for these platforms also make for great games to play on a cabinet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3G44ghxzks
for example is your offers perfect 'classic arcade' gameplay

Haze
Send PM

#358265 - 09/03/16 04:14 PM

> > What I said is perfectly relevant, there are games on all the platforms that are
> > perfectly suited to cab use, MAME includes a decent amount of scripting that would
> > make them easier to use.
>
> First, it is my mistake that i wrote 2nd gen. consoles, but i meant that generation,
> where shoulderbuttons and analogsticks became common, whatever gen. it is. Secondly,
> while they may perfectly suit in a cab, they still make not much fun, to play them in
> a cab (at least not in a upright). I play them from a couch, like the majority do.
> Thirdly, if there is a decent amount of scripting, it was left pretty much
> undocumented or at least with not much attention to it from a normal user POV. I
> wouldnt know how to use them, but i will look into it and if that case is true.
>

Ok, so you're not going to want to run something like Fifa in a generic cabinet where the original game requires mastering of the controls and the original layouts of the pad are fundamental to that..

Could you play something like Harmful Park on cabinet controls? Almost certainly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRv38ajPnPk

Likewise, if we emulate the PS2 things like the PS2 port of Ibara have a lovely arrange mode that wasn't in the arcade release, game only needs the basic controls.

Just because a system had pads with analog sticks and shoulder buttons doesn't mean the entire software library depends on them.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358269 - 09/03/16 06:11 PM

FWIW, the stuff you're listing (MegaTech, PlayChoice, SNES bootlegs) *was* in my build.

For the rest, I repeat, it's only a matter of personal choices. As I said, we're going to see pacman arcade played on smartphones so I'm not surprised that there are people that play Atari 2600 Pitfall II in arcade cabinets. If it's fine for them, it's fine for me too.

My post was only a general hint. After all, also play Black Tiger with a PC and an LCD monitor is "retro-madness"..... But all of us, I guess, do it.

Edited by Mamesick (09/03/16 06:13 PM)

B2K24
Send PM

#358274 - 09/03/16 09:14 PM

> And who cares? It's not my fault if he plugged his tongue into a Developer ass-hole
> forever. He simply showed that he has not the balls to write the same words directly
> to me here. His opinion about me has no value. I still remember when he registered to
> my forum praying for help in how to setup HLSL with Jezze new code that I was
> supporting in my build. Then, after Jezze fixes were included in official MAME, he
> disappeared and come back here to continue his asses-kisser role.

Not that it really matters but I posted over there the exact same as I posted here (in that news thread) as it was a copy and paste. Anyone was access to both sites can search and verify if they really wish to waste their time in doing so.

Jezze's work and progress (at that time) actually gave your forums value which made it worthwhile to sign up and post.
His progress was the *only* reasons (at that time) to even install and use UIFX, so I did. I didn't try out UIFX because of your beliefs of what should and shouldn't be in the MAME listing.

Thankfully his work was supported and merged to baseline which allowed me to dump and trash FX. You'll also notice there's no reason to visit the UIFX forums any longer now that they have absolutely no value any more (The date and time of last post proves that)

Now if you could stop all this pointless anger posting that would be great as it has no value and it's a waste of time for everyone to read.

What's really funny is if Robert decides to keep UIFX alive he will be releasing and posting builds that omits his very own work.

I think we've all been yet again trolled by Vaughan as the initial purpose of this thread was to discuss FEEL and Attract-Mode.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358279 - 09/04/16 12:17 AM

Quote:

On a human and personal level alone, I feel bad for the guy regarding his real-life situation. What I don't like here is it seems he's using a goodbye post to finish some kind of ongoing argument in an attempt to get his fans/followers to stop looking at current MAME. Some of the pot shots he's taking here regarding some console machines preforming badly as well as his outlook of the project from his global perspective alone are completely unrelated in regards to the subject of his news or post. Frankly it's destructive and I really hope there isn't too many people that don't know any better that are actually buying into his bitter words.

Anyone willing to disregard an entire project because a MAMEUIFX or MAMEUI isn't available anymore is only cheating themselves from the possibilities the future may hold.

As a result of this goodbye post that has destructive bits and insults embedded in it that could potentially affect many MAME users that don't know any better, as a result of this, I've lost any respect I've had for Giulio.

> Not that it really matters but I posted over there the exact same as I posted here
> (in that news thread) as it was a copy and paste. Anyone was access to both sites can
> search and verify if they really wish to waste their time in doing so.

Yes, copy and paste, thats what i expect from you and your parrot like behaviour and yes it matters, at least for me.

> Jezze's work and progress (at that time) actually gave your forums value which made
> it worthwhile to sign up and post.
> His progress was the *only* reasons (at that time) to even install and use UIFX, so I
> did. I didn't try out UIFX because of your beliefs of what should and shouldn't be in
> the MAME listing.

You should really keep out Jezze here. The best would be, you dont post anything anymore, except it has some value, which i doubt you can. You are only poking around and do the already mentioned copy and paste. It seems your foggy memories have completely forgot, how the whole story was in the past. All i can say is, keep it out. That dirty laundry is better kept away.

> Thankfully his work was supported and merged to baseline which allowed me to dump and
> trash FX. You'll also notice there's no reason to visit the UIFX forums any longer
> now that they have absolutely no value any more (The date and time of last post
> proves that)

If you would have a brain, you would see that the forum is closed and you expect a actual post, this so OMFG. But like i said, you are only a provoking parrot and your next sentence, is the icing on the cake:

> Now if you could stop all this pointless anger posting that would be great as it has
> no value and it's a waste of time for everyone to read.

So you have the nerves to bitch around and really expect now, that we take it all as it is and end of story?
IMHO we kept the discussion very civil, until you had the desire to put in your two cents (probably to earn a cookie or two) and cant even properly argue against my arguments. All that is left then, is starting something different, true to the motto: lets see what we have left, in my bag full of nonsense... oh nothing... shit, lets insult then.

If its a waste of time, than why not just stay away? there was not a single line you wrote, that has some value, its just more fuel for the fire and just reading your name, creates a urge to gag.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358282 - 09/04/16 01:25 AM

> ...as the initial purpose of this thread was to discuss FEEL and Attract-Mode.

It was. I should've included a disclaimer saying UI builds and Win UI front ends are not part of the topics. Ah well.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#358289 - 09/04/16 02:15 AM Attachment: slwidl.jpg 88 KB (0 downloads)

> > ...as the initial purpose of this thread was to discuss FEEL and Attract-Mode.
>
>
> It was. I should've included a disclaimer saying UI builds and Win UI front ends are
> not part of the topics. Ah well.

No... people should just grow up.

A: My opinion is right.
B: No, my opinion is right.
A: No, my opinion is right, and here's the proof.
B: No, my opinion is right, here's the counterproof.
C: Go home B, A has always been right.
D: Go home C, B has always been right.
E: My opinion doesn't count for much, but i see flames sparking... let's fan them.

And then it goes back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth...

-- My dick's bigger
-- No, my dick's bigger
-- No, my dick's bigger than both of yours
-- None of that matters... my balls sweat unicorn tears that heal the sick and end the California drought.

So here's the deal:

Mamesick, uman, B2K24, Haze, Vaughn, other people in the last thread... all of you... you're all wrong. (Is wrong the right word? Don't know... that's all I got right now).

Go back and re-read your responses to people, from an outside point of view... they all come to the same conclusion... my way is better because "x." Honestly.

What it comes down to:

-- There are LOTS of external frontends out there. Try them all, and pick one for yourself.
-- Someone else doesn't like your choice... so FUCKING what.
-- Said another way... I will NEVER own a white car... I think it's a shitty color for a car. But there's lots of other people out there that own and love their white car. You think any of them give a shit what I think of their car. NO. And who the fuck am I to pressure them to get a different color car.

-- You don't like the built-in MAME frontend. So FUCKING what. It's not there for you... it's there for people who will use it the way it was designed. Compared to years ago, when there was NO frontend, it's damn better than nothing. And it works on any platform.
-- You want a better built-in frontend in MAME? Then step up and submit code that will work on all platforms, and are willing to maintain.
-- Can't do either. Stop bitching that some other dev "should do it." Maybe there is no one currently active that is good at the front-end code part. Maybe there is, but they have other things they'd rather work on instead.

Amazing that the most sensible people in this thread are Traso and Moogly Guy.

And here's my MG comment that people can use against me to say that I kiss up to devs. I can't speak to how he's behaved on the dev list, but on forums... going back to 1999... he's mostly been a helpful person. He just doesn't like stupid people, or the self-entitled (please spoonfeed me the help that I'm looking for), and is "more vocal" about it than other people. I guess you could say he doesn't use his inside voice all the time. There are many people here who have never had a problem with him... the rest need to get over it.

*deep breath*
*leaves for dinner*

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358297 - 09/04/16 07:52 AM

> I didn't try out UIFX because of your beliefs of what should and shouldn't be in
> the MAME listing.

I Never thought this. It would be presumptuous expecting this from you.

> Thankfully his work was supported and merged to baseline which allowed me to dump and
> trash FX. You'll also notice there's no reason to visit the UIFX forums any longer
> now that they have absolutely no value any more (The date and time of last post
> proves that)

On the contrary, because you proved a lot of times that you're good at HLSL settings, you could have simply continued to post and help other users. Though I understand that again, expecting this from a "yesman" like you would have not been possible.

> What's really funny is if Robert decides to keep UIFX alive he will be releasing and
> posting builds that omits his very own work.

You're a bit outdated, [TEXT REMOVED] I can understand that this may not like to you but I sincerely don't care.

> I think we've all been yet again trolled by Vaughan as the initial purpose of this
> thread was to discuss FEEL and Attract-Mode.

Maybe.

Edited by Mamesick (09/04/16 02:24 PM)

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#358298 - 09/04/16 07:58 AM

Reducing all of this to a simple "dick dimensions" diatribe is a little bit offensive.
Though ok.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... *DELETED* new [Re: Mamesick]
#358300 - 09/04/16 11:51 AM

Post deleted by Stiletto

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358301 - 09/04/16 12:04 PM

> Reducing all of this to a simple "dick dimensions" diatribe is a little bit offensive. Though ok.

Sounds like you might be self-concious. I had to bust your balls a little bit, cos until the last year or so, I thought you were one of the mellowest dudes....

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#358308 - 09/04/16 07:08 PM

> It was. I should've included a disclaimer saying UI builds and Win UI front ends
> are
> > not part of the topics. Ah well.
>
> No... people should just grow up.
>
> So here's the deal:
> Mamesick, uman, B2K24, Haze, Vaughn, other people in the last thread... all of you...
> you're all wrong. (Is wrong the right word? Don't know... that's all I got right
> now).

I must admit, that i smiled and laughed a lot, by reading your post. But in your abstinence of over a year, you missed a lot of ugly things, that happened here at MW. So no, i am not wrong, sorry. For example, arcade only frontends are not only not tolerated, no, there is the urgent need to defame, blame and spread lies about such frontends (full of bugs and what not) and their authors, all of this in the public. Just look at B2K24, he officialy said here, he didnt even looked into UIFX, but is sure that this frontend is a buggy piece of shit, that can safely be trashed. Like he and some team members, will use any opportunity for backstabbing. Think about this and how much can be tolerated, until you start to act the very same way .

So when Traso thought Mamesick was a mellowed guy, well, he was and he is and has the heart on the right place, but being mobbed like this, exceeded every limit and the result now, is what you can read here or in other threads.

> Go back and re-read your responses to people, from an outside point of view... they
> all come to the same conclusion... my way is better because "x." Honestly.

Never said, that my way is better, only that i *do it my way* (and why), which you also agree to (see below).

> What it comes down to:
>
> -- There are LOTS of external frontends out there. Try them all, and pick one for
> yourself.
> -- Someone else doesn't like your choice... so FUCKING what.
> -- Said another way... I will NEVER own a white car... I think it's a shitty color
> for a car. But there's lots of other people out there that own and love their white
> car. You think any of them give a shit what I think of their car. NO. And who the
> fuck am I to pressure them to get a different color car.

Exactly. Sad thing is, some team members absolutely dont agree to this and very, very bad things happened. Things that lead to such discussions now and i doubt it will be the last.

> -- You don't like the built-in MAME frontend. So FUCKING what. It's not there for
> you... it's there for people who will use it the way it was designed. Compared to
> years ago, when there was NO frontend, it's damn better than nothing. And it works on
> any platform.
> -- You want a better built-in frontend in MAME? Then step up and submit code that
> will work on all platforms, and are willing to maintain.
> -- Can't do either. Stop bitching that some other dev "should do it." Maybe there is
> no one currently active that is good at the front-end code part. Maybe there is, but
> they have other things they'd rather work on instead.

Just to clarify, I still enjoy nearly every release of official MAME, but I explained very well with my city-library example, how i treat them. I never pushed any of the devs, to do things, that i would like to see. Seriously *never*.

> Amazing that the most sensible people in this thread are Traso and Moogly Guy.
>
> And here's my MG comment that people can use against me to say that I kiss up to
> devs. I can't speak to how he's behaved on the dev list, but on forums... going back
> to 1999... he's mostly been a helpful person. He just doesn't like stupid people, or
> the self-entitled (please spoonfeed me the help that I'm looking for), and is "more
> vocal" about it than other people. I guess you could say he doesn't use his inside
> voice all the time. There are many people here who have never had a problem with
> him... the rest need to get over it.
>
> *deep breath*
> *leaves for dinner*

Well, this is the most funniest part in your whole post. All of it may apply to your experience, but in no FUCKING way to mine. Keep that outraging tasmanic devil in a cage, dont unleash him, give him the pills he probably need, to be that calm, like in this thread here (and i was very, very surprised i admit). I have a thick skin and seen many things, but sorry to say that, i never met in my whole life a person who acts like him (and i am a little older). Never, ever in any forum i have been, is a guy with that behaviour tolerated for a hour, let alone for years, so probably your all fail, that you cant keep him in his place.

At the end of this neverending story, i will pick up that line, written by Mamesick:

"Oh, no, you're wrong. There are no victims here. Only losers."

And with losers, i mean all of us, because we all do what we do, driven by passion and love for all the retro stuff and bizarrest machines. Some do it more, some less. Some are sainted talents, some not. Some do it that way, some in this, but we do all share this passion and love. So why this hate? As if the world around us, is not hard enough.

Edited by uman (09/04/16 07:18 PM)

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358312 - 09/04/16 08:34 PM

> I thought you were one of the mellowest dudes....

I'm still that dude. Unfortunately for some users here and expecially some Devs, only with people who deserve it. Maybe it's a wrong attitude, who knows, but if I feel attacked, I react the same way. You said correctly:
"until the last year or so..."
Yes, exactly when I fell under the hate of Moogly "I'm a nice person" Guy who didn't accepted a critic about his HLSL implementation in MAME. Other users did the same and all of them got in answer a "fuck off to all of you, you're are all douchebags"... without listing all his replies where he used "sperm", "pissing" and what else.
Though he is a MAME Team Member God and is untouchable when instead in every other forum not moderated by servile sycophants, he would have been banned immediately. Oh, yes, I'm objectively a terrible person.
As I said, only losers here. Sorry for had expressed my personal opinion about where is going MAME project when I announced my obligation to give up in continue to release my shitty work. If I did it, it's because I *care* of MAME but this doesn't preclude the critics. Critics that Developers never accepted in all these 15 years, without considering that if you made something public, you have to be ready to be judged by the mass.
I never said MAME is shit. I *always* expressed my opinion from the perspective of a gamer. Nothing more, nothing less.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#358316 - 09/04/16 10:35 PM

I want MAMEUIFX(64) 0.177 as this is THE best MAME as I am aware that exist. If this not gonna happen, then what is closest to it ?
Obviously I don't wanna overloaded MAME, just old good arcades.(without computers & consoles)
Thanx again for all Your work in the past

Haze
Send PM

#358318 - 09/05/16 01:18 AM

> FWIW, the stuff you're listing (MegaTech, PlayChoice, SNES bootlegs) *was* in my
> build.
>
> For the rest, I repeat, it's only a matter of personal choices. As I said, we're
> going to see pacman arcade played on smartphones so I'm not surprised that there are
> people that play Atari 2600 Pitfall II in arcade cabinets. If it's fine for them,
> it's fine for me too.
>
> My post was only a general hint. After all, also play Black Tiger with a PC and an
> LCD monitor is "retro-madness"..... But all of us, I guess, do it.

Yeah, I know that you left the MegaTech stuff in, my point was more that given the choice nobody would choose to run MegaTech in a home built cab over the original Genesis / Megadrive ROMs, there's literally no point at all to it, so having the Genesis / MD stuff available makes a lot of sense.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#358325 - 09/05/16 07:42 AM

> Yeah, I know that you left the MegaTech stuff in, my point was more that given the
> choice nobody would choose to run MegaTech in a home built cab over the original
> Genesis / Megadrive ROMs, there's literally no point at all to it, so having the
> Genesis / MD stuff available makes a lot of sense.

I must say, I've always been tempted in include some MESS stuff in my build, expecially consoles that don't require software lists, though this never happened for some reasons:
1) My user base didn't care at all about that stuff, they only wanted an "easy-to-use-and-configurable" frontend to play their favourites arcade games.
2) Supporting MESS stuff in a serious way would have broken for the most part my GUI and sincerely I was not in the mood to rewrite it completely, also because of point #1
I never understood why this was considered a threat to official MAME, since the option to compile an ARCADE build is available. Some sites dedicated to emulation offer to download a command-line version of MAME with only arcades enabled. So what was the problem with my build? The two or three stupid hacks it contains that I *never* submitted to main source tree?
I'm not a professional paid programmer, I studied COBOL and TURBO PASCAL at high school, so learning C language has been quite simple. I didn't graduated like it was in my wishes because I hadn't enough money to continue my studies. My father went away with another woman that I was 12 and so after the high school find a job to help my mother was the priority. I'm not so talented like you and other Devs in understanding how an hardware works and never pretended to be.

Edited by Mamesick (09/05/16 08:11 AM)

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Sadness in the front end world.... new [Re: CTOJAH]
#358328 - 09/05/16 08:13 AM

I'm really sorry but at the moment I'm not allowed to talk, post links or similar of what there's "behind the scenes".

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3442