Send PM

Apparently Miyamoto just announced a new Mario game for iPhone
#358417 - 09/07/16 07:21 PM

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

upgrade conspiracy new [Re: Smitdogg]
#358429 - 09/07/16 09:57 PM

Looks like they are using this with iOS 10 to pointlessly fuck over 4s users into dropping cash on an upgrade. I'm surprised it took them this long I guess.

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

Re: Apparently Miyamoto just announced a new Mario game for iPhone new [Re: Smitdogg]
#358437 - 09/08/16 02:36 AM

I would to see Miyamoto to release a new mario game on the PC via steam or so.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

update new [Re: Smitdogg]
#361260 - 12/14/16 11:49 PM

This is getting released tomorrow. From what I can tell the requirements are now gone so you don't have to have a device new enough for iOS 10. This has the potential to sway mobile games away from the awful dreaded f2p garbage that pushes games into not being games anymore at all. For example puzzle games that have levels that are literally impossible to pass without having grind played them 100 times or paid for a cheat item, in a way turning it from a game into a halfass gambling device. Fingers crossed.

If you like the trial buy the full version and maybe we can send a message that we will pay if it means we actually get a real game. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Uhg new [Re: Smitdogg]
#361278 - 12/15/16 08:12 PM

It installs on my 4s but crashes after it boots up. Kind hard to support this unless they put out a fix. I love Miyamoto but he's breaking miya heart on this one.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: Smitdogg]
#361289 - 12/16/16 06:04 AM

> If you like the trial buy the full version and maybe we can send a message that we
> will pay if it means we actually get a real game. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

Requires network connection to play at all, short game for the $10 price, jump-only games haven't really gotten more interesting since CANABALT.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: upgrade conspiracy new [Re: Smitdogg]
#361301 - 12/16/16 05:49 PM

works fine on my 9.3.3 system. Had to set a few tweaks to get around the JB detection, but it wasn't that hard to get working

Edit: I guess it only takes 1 tweak: tsProtector 8+

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: upgrade conspiracy new [Re: URherenow]
#361302 - 12/16/16 05:54 PM

I'm not jailbroken is the thing. I jailbroke it when I got it years ago but a year ago I upgraded to ios 9 and that removed the jailbreak stuff.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#361305 - 12/16/16 07:21 PM

> > If you like the trial buy the full version and maybe we can send a message that we
> > will pay if it means we actually get a real game. Or maybe I'm dreaming.
>
> Requires network connection to play at all, short game for the $10 price, jump-only
> games haven't really gotten more interesting since CANABALT.

I've generally avoided mobile gaming (don't even own a Smartphone as I dislike touchscreens etc.) but had a chance to play this earlier today..

is this what actually counts as good mobile gaming? it's pure shovelware.... hasn't done anything to change my mind about the platform (then again, I felt the same about Pokemon Go, and the world apparently loved that)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: Haze]
#361306 - 12/16/16 08:33 PM

> I've generally avoided mobile gaming (don't even own a Smartphone as I dislike
> touchscreens etc.) but had a chance to play this earlier today..
>
> is this what actually counts as good mobile gaming? it's pure shovelware.... hasn't
> done anything to change my mind about the platform (then again, I felt the same about
> Pokemon Go, and the world apparently loved that)

A lot of mobile games are terrible - they're just designed to require you to either grind forever or pay money to get anywhere. For example Cooking Fever gives the exact same sequence of customers in every level, it can be memorised, but you have to play the levels forever to get gems to get upgrades that make higher levels playable, or you can skip the grinding by paying real money. Candy Crush is like that, too - you can pay money to make the game easier. Dragon Zumu is a passable Puzz Loop clone, but it wants you to pay real money or grind forever to unlock two-player levels and challenge levels, and it will let you pay to not lose a level. Temple Run, Subway Surfers, etc. all try to sell you costumes. The vast majority of mobile games are just a way to try and get your money off you.

There have been some mobile games I enjoyed, although a lot of them aren't exclusive to mobile. CANABALT is more suited to the mobile format than the PCs where it originated. The slide puzzle Cogs works better on a small touchscreen, too. I enjoyed Machinarium on a phone. Swords and Soldiers works well in mobile format. EDGE and EDGE Extended were absolutely awesome. Toki Tori worked pretty well on touchscreens. But the majority of mobile games really are terrible.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: upgrade conspiracy new [Re: Smitdogg]
#361327 - 12/17/16 04:10 AM

You should have no problems at all then. It's made to work on iOS 8 or later.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#361329 - 12/17/16 04:53 AM

> Candy Crush is like that, too - you
> can pay money to make the game easier.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that you can wring every last byte of content from the game, as well as Candy Crush Soda Saga, as well as Candy Crush Jelly Saga, without spending a thin dime. In fact, over the past year or two the games have made it easier to keep playing without paying, not harder.

Sure, you can pay to get more moves at the end of a level if you run out. Sure, you can pay for more boosters. But you don't have to, and you're absolutely not required to. Not only that, but once you get to the late game, you'll get 2 hours of unlimited lives just for progressing a couple of levels.

Comparing King games to the run-of-the-mill pay-to-win bullshit is really unfair, in my opinion.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#361337 - 12/17/16 09:46 AM

> Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that you can wring every last byte of content
> from the game, as well as Candy Crush Soda Saga, as well as Candy Crush Jelly Saga,
> without spending a thin dime. In fact, over the past year or two the games have made
> it easier to keep playing without paying, not harder.
>
> Sure, you can pay to get more moves at the end of a level if you run out. Sure, you
> can pay for more boosters. But you don't have to, and you're absolutely not required
> to. Not only that, but once you get to the late game, you'll get 2 hours of unlimited
> lives just for progressing a couple of levels.
>
> Comparing King games to the run-of-the-mill pay-to-win bullshit is really unfair, in
> my opinion.

But the same's true of most of the games I mentioned. You can play through the entire games without any in-game purchases, it just takes longer. I'll admit straight away that I haven't played a huge number of mobile/tablet games, but in the ones I've seen that have in-app purchases, it's always a way to get through the game faster or provide cosmetic features that aren't actually required to progress.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#361340 - 12/17/16 03:31 PM

It's still a matter of getting to the point quickly where no matter how good you get at the game, even if you pick the best moves, it still won't let you clear a level until you've played it a million times, and that is where the problem is. That's what needs to go away. The King games would be puzzle masterpieces if it wasn't for that. With that they are not real games, at least by the definition we grew up with. You can't master them. The stages are algorithms of swaying the piece output difficulty from 20 moves past impossible to a dipshit could pass it with moves leftover, instead of being perfected from the beginning. Changes them from something I'd want to hold onto indefinitely into "ok looks like another puzzle game got to 'that point', time to delete this crap". At some point it's got to stop.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: upgrade conspiracy new [Re: URherenow]
#361341 - 12/17/16 03:32 PM

I know it should work, but it doesn't. I'm waiting for the first update...

Haze
Send PM

#361343 - 12/17/16 03:45 PM

> It's still a matter of getting to the point quickly where no matter how good you get
> at the game, even if you pick the best moves, it still won't let you clear a level
> until you've played it a million times, and that is where the problem is. That's what
> needs to go away. The King games would be puzzle masterpieces if it wasn't for that.
> With that they are not real games, at least by the definition we grew up with. You
> can't master them. The stages are algorithms of swaying the piece output difficulty
> from 20 moves past impossible to a dipshit could pass it with moves leftover, instead
> of being perfected from the beginning. Changes them from something I'd want to hold
> onto indefinitely into "ok looks like another puzzle game got to 'that point', time
> to delete this crap". At some point it's got to stop.

that mirrors my experience too.

to a degree it feels a lot like the MMORPG / Online gaming trend too tho, and just as those negate the need to create a good single player experience, such algorithms in puzzle games negate the need to actually create well designed puzzles (although at the same time you could argue, add more replay value, because they're different every time)

it does make me sad that people say mobile has revitalized the puzzle genre, and is now the home of puzzle games, when in reality it seems to have killed the genre dead because every single one seems to be designed around how to squeeze as many pennies out of you as possible.

even in the arcades, all the new puzzle games you see now are ticket based games (often based on these mobile games) which are heavily rigged in exactly the same way (they're really are just gambling games - again, you can't master them) unfortunately these are also hugely popular, much moreso than the traditional style arcade games, because people seem to be addicted to winning tickets in order to get items that would actually only cost a fraction of the amount they spent on winning the tickets.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#361423 - 12/19/16 05:34 PM

> is this what actually counts as good mobile gaming? it's pure shovelware.... hasn't
> done anything to change my mind about the platform (then again, I felt the same about
> Pokemon Go, and the world apparently loved that)

It's in short pieces (good for mobile), there's actual skill involved (and some replayability thanks to the colored coins), and no free-to-play bullshit. If you like the first three levels you pay $10 once and then you own the whole game, with no chance of paying more for anything else. I think it's actually pretty decent.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#361452 - 12/20/16 01:12 AM

> even in the arcades, all the new puzzle games you see now are ticket based games (often based on these mobile games) which are heavily rigged in exactly the same way (they're really are just gambling games - again, you can't master them) unfortunately these are also hugely popular, much moreso than the traditional style arcade games, because people seem to be addicted to winning tickets in order to get items that would actually only cost a fraction of the amount they spent on winning the tickets.

Yeah, but that was obvious back then playing skee ball. We were under ten and we knew it was a gimmick. Still wanted those toys, though.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: Traso]
#361458 - 12/20/16 01:55 AM

You managed to miss...the entire target. Skee ball is absolutely a game of skill you can get better at, and has a score aside from the tickets. Would you invalidate bowling if it spat tickets?

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#361514 - 12/21/16 12:56 AM

Look it from a developer's side. If say Candy Crush were static levels without any randomness, then we would get things like Angry Birds Nest channel who earns money from play guides taking your earnings away. That's why Angry Birds 2 levels are now random structures, no one can make a "Level X walkthrough" video with Ad Sense. You need to master your shots and tactics yet depend on randomness and keep playing to level your birds to success at the game. And you get the option to be awarded by watching advertisement voluntarily in order to gain some bonus. With puzzle games it wouldn't be any different.

The gaming now is compete with other people while all having the same opportunities and advance as fast as possible, just like any non one player game.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: BIOS-D]
#361518 - 12/21/16 02:39 AM

If games are designed based on youtube guides then we're in worse shape than I thought. It's supposed to be illegal to put ads on videogame videos on youtube as well unless you own the copyright of the videogame so I don't know how they didn't get that taken down? From my personal standpoint, if developers would make real games with an ad before certain levels then people would put up with the ads and not delete and then developers could make lifetime revenue off a puzzle game if it was brilliant and thus not deleted when it finally degenerated into a steaming pile.

Basically I see your point but it doesn't make me accept the situation any more.

Haze
Send PM

Re: update new [Re: BIOS-D]
#361519 - 12/21/16 02:55 AM

> Look it from a developer's side. If say Candy Crush were static levels without any
> randomness, then we would get things like Angry Birds Nest channel who earns money
> from play guides taking your earnings away. That's why Angry Birds 2 levels are now
> random structures, no one can make a "Level X walkthrough" video with Ad Sense. You
> need to master your shots and tactics yet depend on randomness and keep playing to
> level your birds to success at the game. And you get the option to be awarded by
> watching advertisement voluntarily in order to gain some bonus. With puzzle games it
> wouldn't be any different.
>
> The gaming now is compete with other people while all having the same opportunities
> and advance as fast as possible, just like any non one player game.

Which is why Angry Birds is a well designed game that a lot of people loved, and while there was always an element of chance, it was pretty much the modern day equivalent of the old-school strategic puzzle games with a modern twist (physics) It required some trial and error to learn things, but you could 'master' it.

While Angry Birds 2 is an absolute piece of shit with no real design to it, isn't really based on skill at all (you're frequently presented with impossible puzzles) and I haven't heard a single person say one good thing about...

Shocking to see how far the series fell really, maybe they've improved / fixed it / realised the error of their ways since, but every single person I knew who played the hell out of the original is still playing the hell out of the original instead, or has given up on it and even lost interest in the other related products.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Apparently Miyamoto just announced a new Mario game for iPhone new [Re: Smitdogg]
#361523 - 12/21/16 04:41 AM

Play it on my iPad Pro. It's OK. Could've been better if they get rid of the auto run.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Apparently Miyamoto just announced a new Mario game for iPhone new [Re: Dullaron]
#361528 - 12/21/16 09:12 AM

> Could've been better if they get rid of the autorun

What? That's the whole challenge. The game would be too easy and pretty much worthless without its current mechanics.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#361539 - 12/21/16 03:55 PM

> Which is why Angry Birds is a well designed game that a lot of people loved, and
> while there was always an element of chance, it was pretty much the modern day
> equivalent of the old-school strategic puzzle games with a modern twist (physics) It
> required some trial and error to learn things, but you could 'master' it.
>
> While Angry Birds 2 is an absolute piece of shit with no real design to it, isn't
> really based on skill at all (you're frequently presented with impossible puzzles)
> and I haven't heard a single person say one good thing about...
>
> Shocking to see how far the series fell really, maybe they've improved / fixed it /
> realised the error of their ways since, but every single person I knew who played the
> hell out of the original is still playing the hell out of the original instead, or
> has given up on it and even lost interest in the other related products.

I'm probably one of the few ones who still plays both versions depending on I'm connected to Wi-Fi or not. Puzzles are not impossible, you only need high leveled birds, skills and some luck to pass them. I wouldn't be at level 200 with birds at rank 11 + gold slingshot + x3 multipliers hats if that weren't true. I would be a lot further, but I play mostly on the Arena (PvP).

I'm aware that's not the kind of gaming we use to love and play, but I also understand the reason of their ways. Current generations have the attention span of a fly, if they find something difficult they will simply move to something else. All they look for are revenue from 5 minute plays and the way they have found so far is advertising, short lapse rewards to keep them back and milking impatient people willing to spend money. I rarely run out of game tries and advertising isn't in-game banners, so that's some progress in mobile gaming.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Apparently Miyamoto just announced a new Mario game for iPhone new [Re: URherenow]
#361558 - 12/22/16 12:18 AM

> > Could've been better if they get rid of the autorun
>
> What? That's the whole challenge. The game would be too easy and pretty much
> worthless without its current mechanics.

Good point. lol

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#361669 - 12/23/16 11:27 PM

> You managed to miss...the entire target. Skee ball is absolutely a game of skill you can get better at, and has a score aside from the tickets. Would you invalidate bowling if it spat tickets?

Though I concede your sentiment, yes, I would. By definition, that makes it a gimmick.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#361670 - 12/23/16 11:29 PM

> ...if developers would make real games with an ad before certain levels then people would put up with the ads and not delete and then developers could make lifetime revenue off a puzzle game if it was brilliant and thus not deleted when it finally degenerated into a steaming pile.

Sounds like you need to be the advertising consultant for these folks.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5216