Pages: 1

ontour
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/22/16
Send PM

New to MAME
#358914 - 09/22/16 09:10 PM

Hi all

I was explaining about C-64 to my daughter last night and was looking for an emulator to run on Mac OS X.

I downloaded and tried Frodo but couldn't get it to load any games, so now I am looking at MAME.

I have downloaded the Mac version and run it from terminal, but at that point go stuck. And couldn't find any obvious docs to get me going.

Please could someone share docs on how to get it running C-64 games ... unless i've missed something and it won't do this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
OnTour

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: New to MAME new [Re: ontour]
#358915 - 09/22/16 09:47 PM

> Hi all
>
> I was explaining about C-64 to my daughter last night and was looking for an emulator
> to run on Mac OS X.
>
> I downloaded and tried Frodo but couldn't get it to load any games, so now I am
> looking at MAME.
>
> I have downloaded the Mac version and run it from terminal, but at that point go
> stuck. And couldn't find any obvious docs to get me going.
>
> Please could someone share docs on how to get it running C-64 games ... unless i've
> missed something and it won't do this.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards
> OnTour

For C-64 there are definitely better options than MAME. MAME does a good job of emulating lots of obscure peripheral cards for the C-64, technical things that are curiosities to the developers, but it's very bad for gaming in terms of both performance and compatibility.

Not sure what your options are on a Mac (somebody else might be able to fill you in) but MAME is likely to disappoint you if you're expecting to play games on the C-64 driver.

*edit* I've been informed that MAME is actually pretty good if you disable the emulated disk drive and use tape based software, but I'll let some others fill you in with the details of that.

PooshhMao
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/13/06
Send PM

Re: New to MAME new [Re: Haze]
#358925 - 09/22/16 11:54 PM

Actually, the driver is not that bad.

I recently tested a large amount of games in both floppy and cartridge format, and I was pleasantly suprised to see that compatibility is better than I expected. It definitely shows promise. It took many MESS drivers quite a while to get up to speed, and look at them now - many of them are just as good, if not better, than dedicated standalone emulators.

There are several ways to run c64 games in MAME, obviously dependant on the format they came in.

If you have disk images in .d64 format, you can run those by entering 'mame c64 -flop1 /path/to/file.d64'. You will also need to enter the floppy load command in the emulated c64 (load "*",8,1), just like you would on a real machine, which I assume you're familiar with. Luckily, you can have MAME enter this command for you, using the autoboot_command function. The easiest way to do this is to create a c64.ini file in your mame ini folder, and entering these two lines:

autoboot_delay 2
autoboot_command "\nLOAD\"*\",8,1\n"

From then on, MAME will automatically enter the command for you. The only thing left to do is to use the 'run' command to start it.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: New to MAME new [Re: PooshhMao]
#358926 - 09/23/16 01:58 AM

A bit off topic but it would be great if they got the pcjr speed fixed. Right now it runs insanely slow

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: New to MAME new [Re: Haze]
#358929 - 09/23/16 09:29 AM

Unfortunately, it's the video emulation the worst part of C64 driver in MAME. VIC-II raster interrupt is often picked up at the wrong line, the bad line trick cannot be used because the VIC-II cycles it requires are wrong, the MSB of x-coordinates for sprites register seems buggy because I tried a lot of demos with the "sprites on borders" trick and they were not displayed even if the border was "open".
Aside the already mentioned ultra-slow 1541 emulation which also fails with a lot of software turbo disk loaders, if you want to play a quite "static" game that doesn't require particular programming techniques, it's ok. And with CRT-shaders the final output is good.
SID is not so bad even if it could be improved with the re-SID feature that is available in VICE. Also seems there's no noticeable difference between SID 6581 and SID 8580 in MAME, when on the contrary there's a *big* difference on real hardware.
http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5948

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: New to MAME new [Re: PooshhMao]
#358930 - 09/23/16 12:38 PM

> Actually, the driver is not that bad.
>
> I recently tested a large amount of games in both floppy and cartridge format, and I
> was pleasantly suprised to see that compatibility is better than I expected. It
> definitely shows promise. It took many MESS drivers quite a while to get up to speed,
> and look at them now - many of them are just as good, if not better, than dedicated
> standalone emulators.

I only partially agree to this. Yes, the driver is better than it was years ago, but it is still miles away from Vice.
"tested a large amount of games"... i dont know, i did that too and i am not happy with my results. While the games did start, most of them where not stable, or in other words, you could play them to a point, where the driver simply did hang and you only could reset the machine. Sadly these stuff happens randomly, so you cant report a bug with reproducible results.

On the other side, i agree to all points that Mamesick mentioned. What is really sad is, that all the hardware boosters for the 1541 doesnt seem to work. SpeedDOS, Dolphin Dos etc. none of them is working. Personally i dont think it is good, to include all this stuff while it is not working.
The only advantage i see in MAME and the C-64 emulation, are all available shaders. It is a nice eye-candy, that any other standalone C-64 emulator is missing.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: New to MAME new [Re: uman]
#358931 - 09/23/16 01:03 PM

> > Actually, the driver is not that bad.
> >
> > I recently tested a large amount of games in both floppy and cartridge format, and
> I
> > was pleasantly suprised to see that compatibility is better than I expected. It
> > definitely shows promise. It took many MESS drivers quite a while to get up to
> speed,
> > and look at them now - many of them are just as good, if not better, than dedicated
> > standalone emulators.
>
> I only partially agree to this. Yes, the driver is better than it was years ago, but
> it is still miles away from Vice.
> "tested a large amount of games"... i dont know, i did that too and i am not happy
> with my results. While the games did start, most of them where not stable, or in
> other words, you could play them to a point, where the driver simply did hang and you
> only could reset the machine. Sadly these stuff happens randomly, so you cant report
> a bug with reproducible results.
>
> On the other side, i agree to all points that Mamesick mentioned. What is really sad
> is, that all the hardware boosters for the 1541 doesnt seem to work. SpeedDOS,
> Dolphin Dos etc. none of them is working. Personally i dont think it is good, to
> include all this stuff while it is not working.
> The only advantage i see in MAME and the C-64 emulation, are all available shaders.
> It is a nice eye-candy, that any other standalone C-64 emulator is missing.

well, thank you both for confirming what I thought, considering I was flamed to death by Moogly in the shoutbox as a 'MAME hater' who 'knows nothing about the system' over my original post. It seems other experiences do in fact match the ones I had.

I prefer a policy of honesty, this does not make me a 'MAME hater' or 'shitting all over MAME'

ChoccyHobNob
OS X and Raspberry Pi guy
Reged: 09/26/14
Send PM

Re: New to MAME new [Re: ontour]
#359110 - 09/29/16 05:38 PM

It's been mentioned a couple of times in passing but no one has actually come out and replied to you with this.

For macOS C64 emulation you want ViCE.

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/macosx.html

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2023