MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Ocean To Ocean
#359333 - 10/04/16 05:11 PM Attachment: oto.jpg 149 KB (0 downloads)

Thanks to ieure, Yohji and The Game Preservation Society we dumped Ocean To Ocean, one of the last remaining undumped Deco Cassette games.

http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Ocean_To_Ocean

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: DU: Ocean To Ocean new [Re: Smitdogg]
#359339 - 10/04/16 08:57 PM

>Thanks to ieure, Yohji and The Game Preservation Society we dumped Ocean To Ocean, one of
>the last remaining undumped Deco Cassette games.

http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Ocean_To_Ocean

--
src/mame/drivers/decocass.cpp

/* 10 */ // 1981.?? Ocean to Ocean (medal)
--

Good find on the group's part. Seeing how the tape has 10B handwritten, I am guessing that means it is a Revision B tape?

I also see the 'To Do' line will need minor updating because widel.com web site no longer exists.

--
TODO: get more info about this older boardset: D. Widel has some info about it on his page at www.widel.com/stuff/decopin.htm

--

I am grateful that Manhattan was found and emulated. I am crossing fingers that these other Deco cassette titles can be found. I only played Manhattan back in early 1980s, but these other two DECO cassette games do look interesting imo.

/* 08 */ // 1981.03 The Tower
/* 42 */ // 1984.08 Hellow Gateball // not a typo, this is official spelling

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Ocean To Ocean new [Re: gregf]
#359340 - 10/04/16 09:20 PM Attachment: 10box.jpg 133 KB (0 downloads)

> > Thanks to ieure, Yohji and The Game Preservation Society we dumped Ocean To Ocean,
> one of
> > the last remaining undumped Deco Cassette games.
>
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Ocean_To_Ocean
>
> --
> src/mame/drivers/decocass.cpp
>
> /* 10 */ // 1981.?? Ocean to Ocean (medal)
> --
>
> Good find on the group's part. Seeing how the tape has 10B handwritten, I am
> guessing that means it is a Revision B tape?
>

Well ieure found it and he isn't a member but we dumped it. We have A and B but I think the letter is for region.

> I also see the 'To Do' line will need minor updating because widel.com web site no
> longer exists.
>
> --
> TODO: get more info about this older boardset: D. Widel has some info about it on his
> page at www.widel.com/stuff/decopin.htm
>

Yohji has all the info, it just has taken forever to get it added for silly reasons.

> I am grateful that Manhattan was found and emulated. I am crossing fingers that
> these other Deco cassette titles can be found. I only played Manhattan back in early
> 1980s, but these other two DECO cassette games do look interesting imo.
>

I don't think this game is very interesting but it looks like it will lead to new inputs being added and somewhat of a driver overhaul with fingers crossed.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#359343 - 10/04/16 09:41 PM

> Thanks to ieure, Yohji and The Game Preservation Society we dumped Ocean To Ocean,
> one of the last remaining undumped Deco Cassette games.
>
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Ocean_To_Ocean

I remember this one time when I had to try to convince someone here that this really existed, I think it might've been Smit? Looks like we convinced him finally.

- Stiletto

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#359344 - 10/04/16 09:46 PM

> I also see the 'To Do' line will need minor updating because widel.com web site no
> longer exists.
>
> --
> TODO: get more info about this older boardset: D. Widel has some info about it on his
> page at www.widel.com/stuff/decopin.htm

Well, it's still archived in The Internet Archive at least: http://web.archive.org/web/20080828182435/http://www.widel.com/stuff/decopin.htm

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: DU: Ocean To Ocean new [Re: Stiletto]
#359345 - 10/04/16 09:47 PM

>> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Ocean_To_Ocean

>I remember this one time when I had to try to convince someone here that this really
>existed, I think it might've been Smit? Looks like we convinced him finally.

Heh. That was probably years ago. For me, mine was the Atari Cross Fire name which I had thought was suspect.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#359346 - 10/04/16 09:51 PM

> I don't think this game is very interesting but it looks like it will lead to new
> inputs being added and somewhat of a driver overhaul with fingers crossed.

Maybe not a complete overhaul, but it seems that there were multiple BIOS revisions and multiple board revisions which all need to be documented in MAME, and they currently aren't.

As a MAME dev, just let me say thank fuck for the folks on the DU who are actually willing to document these different board revisions and stuff, because with how much the MAME team likes to go on about how accuracy is the goal, there don't seem to be many drivers actually bear it out in practice.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#359347 - 10/04/16 09:52 PM

Well then your memory is better than mine, and of course Greg's is better than an elephant's.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Ocean To Ocean new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#359350 - 10/04/16 09:55 PM

Yohji's work on Deco Cassettes is up with the most hardcore I've ever seen for a system.

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

#359397 - 10/05/16 08:14 PM

> one of the last remaining undumped Deco Cassette games.

Is it really? I'm pretty sure that at least thirteen known or suspected titles in the series remain unemulated; I thought most of those were undumped.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Ocean To Ocean new [Re: MrGoodwraith]
#359400 - 10/05/16 08:43 PM

Well I could have chosen better words. I'll leave it at that.

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

#359450 - 10/06/16 05:12 PM

> Well I could have chosen better words. I'll leave it at that.

K. ;-) BTW, whatever happened to the (IIRC) "Hellow Gateball" and other DECO cassettes in that last (?) batch that we sent to Al Kossow so many years ago and waited so long for him to do anything with? Did those get dumped and/or returned, or did they just vanish into Al's warren of stuff?

Edited by MrGoodwraith (10/06/16 05:13 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#359453 - 10/06/16 06:29 PM

I don't remember. It was a dumping project deal years before the DU and I wasn't on the mailing list until the tail end of the dumping project era, I was contributing as an outsider during most of it. My memory sucks but it seems like from the last time the question came up, the result wasn't positive. Either the tapes were lost or broken or were different tapes than thought. I guess ask Al, or maybe the community elephant brain gregf will remember and reply.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#359460 - 10/06/16 07:52 PM

>whatever happened to the (IIRC) "Hellow Gateball" and other DECO cassettes in that last
>(?) batch that we sent to Al Kossow so many years ago

As Smit mentions, that was a long time ago....probably somewhere between 2005 to 2007 time frame. I wasn't sure and I had to go back and search through messages on ztnet account and did not see any specific old messages from that account pertaining to cassette tapes. I know it was two or maybe three games from Yahoo Japan auction done with help from Data East games fan 'wtc4ever'

I believe it was these two...especially Fishing (probably wasn't Angler Dangler) were the main ones.

DS Telejan (DECO Cassette, Japan)
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=cdsteljn

Fishing (DECO Cassette, Japan)
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=cfishing

iirc Dumping Project bid for Super Doubles Tennis came up short and wasn't won.

Super Doubles Tennis (DECO Cassette, Japan)
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=csdtenis

My guess is the DECO cassette tapes from Dumping Project era is now covered with past help from other various sources over past few years.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#359461 - 10/06/16 08:07 PM

> > whatever happened to the (IIRC) "Hellow Gateball" and other DECO cassettes in that
> last
> >(?) batch that we sent to Al Kossow so many years ago
>
>
> As Smit mentions, that was a long time ago....probably somewhere between 2005 to
> 2007 time frame. I wasn't sure and I had to go back and search through messages on
> ztnet account and did not see any specific old messages from that account pertaining
> to cassette tapes. I know it was two or maybe three games from Yahoo Japan auction
> done with help from Data East games fan 'wtc4ever'
>
> I believe it was these two...especially Fishing (probably wasn't Angler Dangler)
> were the main ones.
>
> DS Telejan (DECO Cassette, Japan)
> http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=cdsteljn
>
> Fishing (DECO Cassette, Japan)
> http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=cfishing
>
>
> iirc Dumping Project bid for Super Doubles Tennis came up short and wasn't won.
>
> Super Doubles Tennis (DECO Cassette, Japan)
> http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=csdtenis
>
>
> My guess is the DECO cassette tapes from Dumping Project era is now covered with
> past help from other various sources over past few years.

yeah, I don't remember any talk of anything we haven't already got at this point.

there are no doubt quite a few deco cassette games that aren't really well known too, especially things like the Medal games which nobody really cares about, I guess we're lucky Ocean to Ocean has surfaced, even if it's no doubt not much of a game at all.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: Ocean To Ocean new [Re: Haze]
#359463 - 10/06/16 08:28 PM

> > > whatever happened to the (IIRC) "Hellow Gateball" and other DECO cassettes in
> that
> > last
> > >(?) batch that we sent to Al Kossow so many years ago
> >
> >
> > As Smit mentions, that was a long time ago....probably somewhere between 2005 to
> > 2007 time frame. I wasn't sure and I had to go back and search through messages on
> > ztnet account and did not see any specific old messages from that account
> pertaining
> > to cassette tapes. I know it was two or maybe three games from Yahoo Japan auction
> > done with help from Data East games fan 'wtc4ever'
> >
> > I believe it was these two...especially Fishing (probably wasn't Angler Dangler)
> > were the main ones.
> >
> > DS Telejan (DECO Cassette, Japan)
> > http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=cdsteljn
> >
> > Fishing (DECO Cassette, Japan)
> > http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=cfishing
> >
> >
> > iirc Dumping Project bid for Super Doubles Tennis came up short and wasn't won.
> >
> > Super Doubles Tennis (DECO Cassette, Japan)
> > http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=csdtenis
> >
> >
> > My guess is the DECO cassette tapes from Dumping Project era is now covered with
> > past help from other various sources over past few years.
>
> yeah, I don't remember any talk of anything we haven't already got at this point.

My notes show it was Fishing (or Angler Dangler), DS Telejang and Hamburger. After waiting a while for Al to do something, IIRC what happened was they ended up being sent to Charles MacDonald and he dumped the tapes/dongles. But I could be way wrong.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#359465 - 10/06/16 08:50 PM

>My notes show it was Fishing (or Angler Dangler), DS Telejang and Hamburger.

I didn't know the other is Hamburger. I knew the other two game names and I am certain the other game that was not won happened to be a tennis game.

I thought I still had specific messages with this topic on old ztnet account, but I guess I already deleted them.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: DU: Ocean To Ocean new [Re: Haze]
#359467 - 10/06/16 09:17 PM

>>My guess is the DECO cassette tapes from Dumping Project era is now covered with
>>past help from other various sources over past few years.

>yeah, I don't remember any talk of anything we haven't already got at this point.

Fishing (which I suspect is what wtc4ever had got; not Angler Dangler) was the main game that came to mind from the collection of games. It is great that both Angler Dangler and Fishing are now emulated since there are some differences between the games.

>there are no doubt quite a few deco cassette games that aren't really well known too,
>especially things like the Medal games which nobody really cares about, I guess we're
>lucky Ocean to Ocean has surfaced, even if it's no doubt not much of a game at all.

Agreed regarding Ocean to Ocean. As for the games portion, my curiosity of remaining games wanting to see rescued are

/* 42 */ // 1984.08 Hellow Gateball and ' /* 08 */ // 1981.03 The Tower'

Those two look interesting imo. As for only cassette game I recall of having personally seen and played a couple times at Lakewood Mall's (CA) long gone Electronic Corral arcade (opened mid 1970s and ran to early 1980s) was Manhattan. The game volume was either turned down low or was drowned out by far noisier arcade games such as nearby Astro Blaster cabs that had volume set to very loud.

As for repeating self again, I am grateful seeing Manhattan emulated. Thanks to everyone involved getting Manhattan preserved.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#359468 - 10/06/16 09:38 PM

> >>My guess is the DECO cassette tapes from Dumping Project era is now covered with
> >>past help from other various sources over past few years.
>
> > yeah, I don't remember any talk of anything we haven't already got at this point.
>
> Fishing (which I suspect is what wtc4ever had got; not Angler Dangler) was the main
> game that came to mind from the collection of games. It is great that both Angler
> Dangler and Fishing are now emulated since there are some differences between the
> games.
>
>
> > there are no doubt quite a few deco cassette games that aren't really well known
> too,
> > especially things like the Medal games which nobody really cares about, I guess
> we're
> > lucky Ocean to Ocean has surfaced, even if it's no doubt not much of a game at all.
>
> Agreed regarding Ocean to Ocean. As for the games portion, my curiosity of remaining
> games wanting to see rescued are
>
> /* 42 */ // 1984.08 Hellow Gateball and ' /* 08 */ // 1981.03 The Tower'
>
>
> Those two look interesting imo. As for only cassette game I recall of having
> personally seen and played a couple times at Lakewood Mall's (CA) long gone
> Electronic Corral arcade (opened mid 1970s and ran to early 1980s) was Manhattan. The
> game volume was either turned down low or was drowned out by far noisier arcade games
> such as nearby Astro Blaster cabs that had volume set to very loud.
>
> As for repeating self again, I am grateful seeing Manhattan emulated. Thanks to
> everyone involved getting Manhattan preserved.

there are clearly still some undumped versions of Manhattan tho. when I was improving the driver it quickly became clear that the version we have wasn't meant to behave quite the same way as some of the videos that are out there in terms of palette changes etc.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3206