Pages: 1

ssjenkins
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/06/05
Send PM

Mame 0.65 Hi Scores / Popeye
#359690 - 10/16/16 05:34 PM

Hi All .

I've been using Mame 0.65 , or thereabouts on my arcade machine for some years now . I have a question regarding HI SCORES . If I remember right early versions of Mame updated the hi scores directly to a file called "hiscore.dat" . At some point I think this method changed and individual hi score files are now created for each rom within the "hi" folder .

Basically my question is this . I've been playing Nintendo "Popeye" REF F (1981) with my son . The hi scores are not being saved , and we don't know why . No file is created in the "hi" folder . I also have an old hiscore.dat file still there , but that doesn't get written to either . Probably because it isn't supported in this version of Mame . There is another rom called Popeye bootleg from the same year . This version does create a file and save the scores/names , but for some reason the actual hi score isn't saved/shown on the main screen .

Anyway . My question is this . Does anyone know why Mame 0.65 isn't saving , or creating a hi score file for this particular game Popeye F ?

Thanks in advance .

Sammy

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Mame 0.65 Hi Scores / Popeye new [Re: ssjenkins]
#359691 - 10/16/16 06:15 PM

you'll be lucky to get a response

MAME 0.65 is from February 2003

almost 14 years ago

even at the time I think hiscore.dat support was unofficial as it's nothing more than a hack.

chances are it just wasn't properly supported in that version, it's one of those things that either works, or it doesn't. there isn't really anything you can do about it (that's about the best response you're going to get)

even with the current version, where support has been readded officially, it's very much hit-or-miss and often causes major glitches in games when enabled, because they were never meant to work that way.

> Hi All .
>
> I've been using Mame 0.65 , or thereabouts on my arcade machine for some years now .
> I have a question regarding HI SCORES . If I remember right early versions of Mame
> updated the hi scores directly to a file called "hiscore.dat" . At some point I think
> this method changed and individual hi score files are now created for each rom within
> the "hi" folder .
>
> Basically my question is this . I've been playing Nintendo "Popeye" REF F (1981) with
> my son . The hi scores are not being saved , and we don't know why . No file is
> created in the "hi" folder . I also have an old hiscore.dat file still there , but
> that doesn't get written to either . Probably because it isn't supported in this
> version of Mame . There is another rom called Popeye bootleg from the same year .
> This version does create a file and save the scores/names , but for some reason the
> actual hi score isn't saved/shown on the main screen .
>
> Anyway . My question is this . Does anyone know why Mame 0.65 isn't saving , or
> creating a hi score file for this particular game Popeye F ?
>
> Thanks in advance .
>
> Sammy

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Mame 0.65 Hi Scores / Popeye new [Re: Haze]
#359698 - 10/16/16 10:15 PM

I think it never wrote to the dat. That's why there was a directory for hi files. The earliest entry at the hiscore.dat page is 11/05, which was .98 .....hmmmmm.....and the MAME Wiki has an entry only for when hiscore support was taken away - 8/06 .

> you'll be lucky to get a response
>
> MAME 0.65 is from February 2003

Ohh, in this kind of scenario, I have no complaint.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

ssjenkins
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/06/05
Send PM

Re: Mame 0.65 Hi Scores / Popeye new [Re: Traso]
#359706 - 10/17/16 07:30 AM

Hi .

OK . Thanks to both of you . I appreciate the replies .

Sammy

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Let us know how you get on..... (nt) new [Re: ssjenkins]
#359755 - 10/20/16 03:32 AM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1607