MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Hard to believe I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary with MAME.
#361072 - 12/08/16 07:42 AM

Been an awesome 10 years, folks. Seen great guys and a gal or two come and go, there's still old-timers from MAME I miss and wish they'd come back, scanned a bezel or two for the art project, and cleaned up a handful of them for Mr. Do, dumped some roms including the only-one-known-to-exist Bounty Hunter, stumbled across other undumped boards along the way, made a few hacks for MiSFit, including Sponge Patrol, Nacho Libre, and Crazy Otto before the real ROMs were publicly known to exist. Even went on expeditions and personally talked to some of the old GCC guys trying to track down the real Otto ROMs before they surfaced (coincidentally or not) shortly after posting my investigation results. Contributed a small part to code deciphering and input (the original was all on paper, working off scans of it) to help get the 1971 Galaxy Game (the first ever coin-operated computer game) emulated, pissed some Dev off moaning that it should be included in MAME while I was at it (define "arcade", remember that, you stuck a coin in it after all ), got to meet a very few of ya in person, and even met some old arcade legends on various adventures. Set a couple world records with Twin Galaxies, and so did Gatinha (but long ago been dethroned by geeks badder and better than us). Caused a whole mess of trouble in the bin over the years, even got banned for a day once... but that was just Mr. Do playing with me .

Seen guys celebrating marriages, baby births, cool mod PT Cruisers, a few RIP's, relationship meltdowns, high scores, and rivalries both friendly and caustic. Gave lots of people in the Hardware board bad advice on how to build their own CrapMAME, and of course built my own collection of crap that we still enjoy the hell out of to this day, having raised four children on my cabs so far.

Believe it or not, I got into MAME during the darkest years of my life, looking for a healthy escape from a lousy reality 10 years ago, something to occupy my mind, my time, my hands, and my obsessions. Today I couldn't be in a happier place, and it's not like MAME got me there, but it definitely gave me some mental diversion to find fun and solace while real life was rebooting.

And above all else, I've wasted a ton of 5's on MAME, and glad I stumbled across this shitty place full of all kinds of bastards. Miss the old days of titty-pics in the Bin, but getting to see some of your mugs photo-shopped into bad places is just as good.

Been good times. To ten more happy years!

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: Hard to believe I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary with MAME. new [Re: GatKong]
#361075 - 12/08/16 09:56 AM

MAME has been one of the few things that has made my life bearable since I discovered it circa 2007. 15 years of unemployment and failing health have reduced me to almost nothing. But through it all, there was this little portal into one of the few parts of the past I care to remember. It helps me to re-create a past that should have been, not as it horrifically was.

I haven't been able to give back much. If I had a million dollars, a good portion of it would be donated to this project and site that have given me so much. All I can do is thank the devs and contributors for a job well done.

Happy 10th, Gat.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Hard to believe I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary with MAME. new [Re: GatKong]
#361082 - 12/08/16 04:00 PM

I've been with MAME since '98. Almost 19 years now. Still love it today as much as the 1st day I discovered it. I was recovering from some pretty major surgery & I had a huge urge to play an arcade accurate version of Donkey Kong. I did a search and came across MAME. I was skeptical that you could actually play arcade games on your PC. I really knew nothing about emulation at that time. Needless to say I was blown away & have loved it, and other emulators, ever since

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Hard to believe I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary with MAME. new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#361088 - 12/08/16 05:49 PM

Bunch of Noob lightweights.

September '97 was my first experience firing up MAME for the first time, though my PC was so crap at the time I had to wait until July '98 when I bought a new PC (Pentium II 333Mhz, 64Mb Ram ) before I could play any of the games with decent frame rates.

...and I had to double up my RAM to 128mb in '99 when Neo Geo games first got sound!, My favourite Neo Geo game King Of Fighters 98 couldn't run with sound on only 64Mb.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Hard to believe I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary with MAME. new [Re: Ziggy100]
#361089 - 12/08/16 06:32 PM

Yeap, I had to completely upgrade my computer (RAM, CPU & GPU) when the mortal kombat games were emulated. I couldn't wait to play MK2! The only way I could play it before that was on my SNES

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

Bigster
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

Bigster new [Re: Ziggy100]
#361090 - 12/08/16 06:43 PM

What was the name of the efnet channel we used to use two decades ago. Someone posted a transcript when Nicola was chatting about one of the major releases, first one to support rastan. Anyone have that transcript? Remember it was a cool night. Over time you can get nogalistc over discovering mame, which is double nogalistc...

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Related new [Re: GatKong]
#361091 - 12/08/16 08:28 PM

I came across this partially preserved forum the other day while searching for something else:
http://www.macmame.org/wwwboard/mame/mame2.html ... mame24.html.

There's a few post subjects of mine preserved there to January 1999! (The posts themselves didn't get saved, but others are.)

Note: MAME's 20th Anniversary is in February. Coming up fast. Hopefully, we do something.

- Stiletto

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: Bigster new [Re: Bigster]
#361092 - 12/08/16 10:35 PM

#mamegames?

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#361104 - 12/09/16 09:11 AM

I can't believe you've only been around for 10 years, Gat. You're still a n00b.

I can't even remember anymore exactly when I first used MAME. I want to say the first version I tried was around .26 or so, which would make it the summer of '97, which sounds about right. I can remember waiting with bated breath for every release, because every one added support for something I'd played in the arcades and hadn't seen in years.

I just recently managed to snag a Core i7 system that was being discarded at work to upgrade my ageing Athlon64 X2. It's kind of a weird, hacked up test system, but I've managed to get it running and it's fast as hell. In some ways, it's kind of like the old days, running games at 100% framerate that I wouldn't have had a prayer of running on the old system.

Bigster
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

Bigster new [Re: Brian Deuel]
#361124 - 12/09/16 06:34 PM

I think it was more generic #emu or #emulation

Not necessarily mame only bc back in the day many other emus were popular like callus, raine, etc.

Thx for the link to the old message board here is another one.
http://www.verycomputer.com/viewlist_44_465.htm

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Bigster new [Re: Bigster]
#361127 - 12/09/16 08:17 PM

> Thx for the link to the old message board here is another one.
> http://www.verycomputer.com/viewlist_44_465.htm

That's technically not a messageboard as we know them now, but a USENET archive. Probably from several different groups. Maybe comp.emulators.*

For example, the post at the bottom of the page:
http://www.verycomputer.com/44_134591c13bd924fb_1.htm
is:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/comp.emulators.cbm/DGycjBWpF_A/discussion

- Stiletto

invincibility
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/04/12
Send PM

#361129 - 12/09/16 09:30 PM

I can't remember when I began to play mame.

Maybe 1997 or 1998?

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Hard to believe I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary with MAME. new [Re: invincibility]
#361134 - 12/09/16 11:55 PM

Geee...that was deep...thanks for sharing

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#361136 - 12/10/16 12:58 AM

Dang I don't remember how long I've been into mame, If I remember at the time I think it played 13 or 15 games so probably around early 97?

It's been great to see "don't bet it will ever be emulated" then all of a sudden "protection broken, fully playable!" Posts thru the years.

A lot of peeps/devs have come and gone thru the years and mame websites (jose`s, AH, etc).

My 2 favorite places, here and retrogames.

I remember when forums would light up after weeks of almost no action because rumors of a new mame might be one the way after 6 or 8 weeks. Peeps posting links to find the latest Roms. And when Roms hit the 1 meg size and seemed like downloads took for ever on 56k. Then 10 megs, oh the agony!

It's been great and it's greatly appreciated for your efforts and the rest of the dev team past and present!!

Only here to annoy...

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#361152 - 12/10/16 03:57 AM

Can't remember the start date, but it was still the Multi-Pac emulator at the time. I also found Dave Spicer's DASArcade emulator and played the heck out of both of them. Unfortunately my own contributions have been minimal, limited mostly to being a typing monkey now and again.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#361164 - 12/10/16 10:10 PM

> Been an awesome 10 years, folks. Seen great guys and a gal or two come and go,
> there's still old-timers from MAME I miss and wish they'd come back, scanned a bezel
> or two for the art project, and cleaned up a handful of them for Mr. Do, dumped some
> roms including the only-one-known-to-exist Bounty Hunter, stumbled across other
> undumped boards along the way, made a few hacks for MiSFit, including Sponge Patrol,
> Nacho Libre, and Crazy Otto before the real ROMs were publicly known to exist. Even
> went on expeditions and personally talked to some of the old GCC guys trying to track
> down the real Otto ROMs before they surfaced (coincidentally or not) shortly after
> posting my investigation results. Contributed a small part to code deciphering and
> input (the original was all on paper, working off scans of it) to help get the 1971
> Galaxy Game (the first ever coin-operated computer game) emulated, pissed some Dev
> off moaning that it should be included in MAME while I was at it (define "arcade",
> remember that, you stuck a coin in it after all ), got to meet a very few of ya in
> person, and even met some old arcade legends on various adventures. Set a couple
> world records with Twin Galaxies, and so did Gatinha (but long ago been dethroned by
> geeks badder and better than us). Caused a whole mess of trouble in the bin over the
> years, even got banned for a day once... but that was just Mr. Do playing with me .
>
> Seen guys celebrating marriages, baby births, cool mod PT Cruisers, a few RIP's,
> relationship meltdowns, high scores, and rivalries both friendly and caustic. Gave
> lots of people in the Hardware board bad advice on how to build their own CrapMAME,
> and of course built my own collection of crap that we still enjoy the hell out of to
> this day, having raised four children on my cabs so far.
>
> Believe it or not, I got into MAME during the darkest years of my life, looking for a
> healthy escape from a lousy reality 10 years ago, something to occupy my mind, my
> time, my hands, and my obsessions. Today I couldn't be in a happier place, and it's
> not like MAME got me there, but it definitely gave me some mental diversion to find
> fun and solace while real life was rebooting.
>
> And above all else, I've wasted a ton of 5's on MAME, and glad I stumbled across this
> shitty place full of all kinds of bastards. Miss the old days of titty-pics in the
> Bin, but getting to see some of your mugs photo-shopped into bad places is just as
> good.
>
> Been good times. To ten more happy years!

14 years here. It started with someone sending me CDs with a 0.36b16 full set. It went downhill from there.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1501