Pages: 1

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out
#361833 - 12/27/16 10:00 AM

This one required real work, as it appeared someone had attacked the chip with a milling machine:
http://caps0ff.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/taking-down-45-tatakae-big-fighter.html

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#361843 - 12/27/16 04:19 PM

Great news!! From reading the blog a whole alotta graft went into getting a dump from that less than perfect chip big thanks to all concerned.

Arcade Addict

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#361845 - 12/27/16 05:28 PM

I hope for 0.181 including !
Thanx to everyone involved

Ice Cream
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/20/16
Send PM

#361849 - 12/27/16 05:47 PM

Amazing how this guy remove the parts of the chip without damage anything. Congrats to him.
Nothing is impossible everything gets fixed.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: CTOJAH]
#361851 - 12/27/16 07:06 PM

>I hope for 0.181 including

Nope. The choices are compiling own personal build or wait until the following official release is available and that likely won't be until last week in January 2017.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: gregf]
#361861 - 12/27/16 09:24 PM

OK - After waiting for 2 decades, I'll just wait for another month

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: CTOJAH]
#361871 - 12/27/16 11:17 PM

Quote:

OK - After waiting for 2 decades, I'll just wait for another month

Sky Robo and Tatakae! Big Fighter have just been promoted to working, i guess this means they'll make the cut off point for the pending MAME release

Arcade Addict

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: gamez fan]
#361872 - 12/27/16 11:35 PM

> Sky Robo and Tatakae! Big Fighter have just been promoted to working, i guess this
> means they'll make the cut off point for the pending MAME release

They haven't made it for MAME 0.181 - you can wait four weeks for MAME 0.182 or you can build your own MAME from master if you're really impatient and you get bored with listening to the Toaplan games.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: gamez fan]
#361873 - 12/27/16 11:44 PM

> OK - After waiting for 2 decades, I'll just wait for another month
>
>
> Sky Robo and Tatakae! Big Fighter have just been promoted to working, i guess this
> means they'll make the cut off point for the pending MAME release

before every release a release branch is created
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/tree/release0181
is the 0.181 one

if it doesn't end up in there, it doesn't end up in the release.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#361874 - 12/28/16 12:20 AM

> This one required real work, as it appeared someone had attacked the chip with a
> milling machine:
> http://caps0ff.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/taking-down-45-tatakae-big-fighter.html

After reading that article, I have to say that was truly impressive work resurrecting that chip. Maybe we ought to jokingly refer to this game in the future as "Tatakae! Big Lazarus."

In all seriousness, though, glad to see this game finally make it to Mame (albeit for .182, instead of .181)

Mamedevs, does this mean the PCB for Sky Robo will still be needed? The armedf.cpp file says that the Sky Robo MCU is a bad dump, even though it's using the MCU for Tatakae Big Fighter.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: Haze]
#361878 - 12/28/16 12:49 AM

> if it doesn't end up in there, it doesn't end up in the release.

And it won't. The team was getting pushback from the ROM preservationists themselves about last-minute changes to ROM sets. In this case, it missed the freeze cutoff date, and the fact that the ROM set changed means that it will not be cherry-picked for the release branch.

I understand that this might be annoying to some users, but I'd rather annoy some users than annoy the people who actually provide ROM set distribution, and a rule that can't remain a rule for more than two releases can hardly even be called a rule.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#361879 - 12/28/16 12:52 AM

> > OK - After waiting for 2 decades, I'll just wait for another month
> >
> >
> > Sky Robo and Tatakae! Big Fighter have just been promoted to working, i guess this
> > means they'll make the cut off point for the pending MAME release
>
> before every release a release branch is created
> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/tree/release0181
> is the 0.181 one
>
> if it doesn't end up in there, it doesn't end up in the release.

FYI for readers other than Haze: This is still a bit new of a concept for users because it's only a few months old in MAMEdev procedures as well.

But it's what we've started doing.

If it doesn't make the branch, it's not in the release. Occasionally things can be manually added from master to the release branch if it didn't make the cut in time, but it's not commonly done.

- Stiletto

gamez fan
Send PM

#361880 - 12/28/16 01:31 AM

Quote:

They haven't made it for MAME 0.181 - you can wait four weeks for MAME 0.182 or you
can build your own MAME from master if you're really impatient and you get bored with
listening to the Toaplan games.

Ah ok i get it now i assumed the cut off point for new code additions was when the next build of
MAME was released, im sure most users will be happy to wait a little longer for Sky Robo.

Personally i'll never tire of the music in Vimana

Arcade Addict

Haze
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#361901 - 12/28/16 10:51 AM

> > if it doesn't end up in there, it doesn't end up in the release.
>
> And it won't. The team was getting pushback from the ROM preservationists themselves
> about last-minute changes to ROM sets. In this case, it missed the freeze cutoff
> date, and the fact that the ROM set changed means that it will not be cherry-picked
> for the release branch.
>
> I understand that this might be annoying to some users, but I'd rather annoy some
> users than annoy the people who actually provide ROM set distribution, and a rule
> that can't remain a rule for more than two releases can hardly even be called a rule.

Interestingly the 'rom preservationists' I talked to seemed to dislike the rule. Having an updated romset one day, only for it to instantly go out of date again the moment a release is made wasn't sitting well, especially not when the rom changes are the very things people want to try asap.

I'm not a fan either, while I can understand core feature freezes I don't think it benefits MAME to ship information that is known to be out of date (eg. I don't think the Biomechanical Toy redumps made it, and there's absolutely no reason to continue to ship out of date information there, benefits nobody) I'd consider that anti-preservation.

Also, a software list update was pushed into that branch the day before release, which seems to fly in the face of the rule.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#361907 - 12/28/16 01:39 PM

> Also, a software list update was pushed into that branch the day before release,
> which seems to fly in the face of the rule.

A software list for a newly-added system. Software lists are typically distributed separately on a per-system basis, and so adding a softlist for a newly-promoted system does not impinge on peoples' abilities to put together a full ROM/CHD set in a timely manner, and it does not risk changing a pre-existing software list.

It's actually perfectly logically consistent if you're not being an intentionally obtuse twat.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Tatakae! Big Fighter MCU read out new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#361908 - 12/28/16 01:55 PM

> > Also, a software list update was pushed into that branch the day before release,
> > which seems to fly in the face of the rule.
>
> A software list for a newly-added system. Software lists are typically distributed
> separately on a per-system basis, and so adding a softlist for a newly-promoted
> system does not impinge on peoples' abilities to put together a full ROM/CHD set in a
> timely manner, and it does not risk changing a pre-existing software list.
>
> It's actually perfectly logically consistent if you're not being an intentionally
> obtuse twat.

really? news to me.

MAME - [FREE] MAME 0.180 Software List ROMs (T7Z-Merged) 1 Download Torrent 30/11/2016 31.960 GB xxx 208 7 (1) 612 9.306 TB N/A N/A

SLs are distributed much like the rest, together, so that the less popular ones don't just end up ignored / forgotten. Better for preservation that way so I'm glad that's what people do.

but I'd rather not be having this conversation at all.

Main issue now is a lot of people use daily builds instead, they enjoyed the releases, because it meant they got to sync their roms up, now due to the 'freeze' the roms don't sync with the daily builds at all because the sets go their own ways before a release so even at the point of release they're syncing to old sets.

this doesn't bother *me* but I'm just trying to convey a message from other people here, the change of handling has been disruptive rather than helpful.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#361909 - 12/28/16 02:08 PM

> > > Also, a software list update was pushed into that branch the day before release,
> > > which seems to fly in the face of the rule.
> >
> > A software list for a newly-added system. Software lists are typically distributed
> > separately on a per-system basis, and so adding a softlist for a newly-promoted
> > system does not impinge on peoples' abilities to put together a full ROM/CHD set in
> a
> > timely manner, and it does not risk changing a pre-existing software list.
> >
> > It's actually perfectly logically consistent if you're not being an intentionally
> > obtuse twat.
>
> really? news to me.
>
> MAME - [FREE] MAME 0.180 Software List ROMs (T7Z-Merged) 1 Download Torrent
> 30/11/2016 31.960 GB xxx 208 7 (1) 612 9.306 TB N/A N/A

This line of discussion is going nowhere. Please stop.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2723