View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mikeky
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/27/16
Send PM

Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC.
#362224 - 01/04/17 05:27 PM

Audit of votrax.zip shows wrong filename and when renamed fails CRC. Is there a correct version out there?

zip has sb01.bin needs to be sb01a.bin for new mame .181.

I know the speech sounds are being worked on(not there yet), but the votrax device not passing an audit seems worrisome.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC. new [Re: mikeky]
#362226 - 01/04/17 05:58 PM

> Audit of votrax.zip shows wrong filename and when renamed fails CRC. Is there a
> correct version out there?

Yes there is!

> zip has sb01.bin needs to be sb01a.bin for new mame .181.

sc, not sb.

> I know the speech sounds are being worked on(not there yet), but the votrax device
> not passing an audit seems worrisome.

ROMs not passing an audit after a new MAME release is hardly a first.

S

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#362227 - 01/04/17 06:01 PM

> Audit of votrax.zip shows wrong filename and when renamed fails CRC. Is there a
>
>
> I know the speech sounds are being worked on(not there yet), but the votrax device

It is possible to complete the romset as MAMEDEV goes through great lengths to assure that everything added to release source can eventually be located and used. MAME is designed to allow you to use same named/same size roms (despite any hash mismatch) to assist in development process. It isn't suggested to run any machine in MAME without a properly audited romset in which all documented metrics match.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#362229 - 01/04/17 06:21 PM

>
>

No, you have the wrong file. Time to read up: http://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

As for your question of whether or not there is a correct version out there, let me answer it with another question: Would it make any sense at all for the MAME developers to add ROM sets to MAME that people can't get?

mikeky
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362230 - 01/04/17 06:37 PM

Of course it would not make sense,don't be glib, nevertheless the votrax.zip as is does not work. It passed audit with .180. I'm just saying that if said file exists it sure isn't easy to find and I have looked extensively for it. Rename the bin to sc01a.bin will allow a run but nothing resembling speech is heard.

Has anyone here actually found the REAL votrax device file for new mame?

Just trying to find out what's up, thoughtful and respectful answers are appreciated.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC. new [Re: Sune]
#362231 - 01/04/17 06:43 PM

> ROMs not passing an audit after a new MAME release is hardly a first.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#362232 - 01/04/17 07:07 PM

> nevertheless the votrax.zip as is
> does not work. It passed audit with .180.

That's perfectly normal, it happens all the time.

> I'm just saying that if said file exists it
> sure isn't easy to find and I have looked extensively for it.

Look again.

> Has anyone here actually found the REAL votrax device file for new mame?

Yes, as I said earlier it's out there. Sometimes it takes a while for the usual places to catch up.

> Just trying to find out what's up, thoughtful and respectful answers are appreciated.

Nothing different from what happens with every MAME release. It's like how it's always been: If MAME says you are missing files then you are missing files. The solution to this problem is and has always been to get the missing files.

S

RdW
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/13/05
Send PM

Re: Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362240 - 01/04/17 10:23 PM

> Would it make any sense at all for the MAME
> developers to add ROM sets to MAME that people can't get?

raflsiau P ;-)

mikeky
MAME Fan
Send PM

#362250 - 01/05/17 02:23 AM

I found it. Sound is much better, although you have to adjust the volumes of the other two devices to hear it well. Now if someone would only fix those wrong colors in the astrocade driver.....on going bug that seems to have been forgotten, not even mentioned in the pre-game screen of gorf, but it does mention the sound not being complete.

The devs have made a fine product that nostalgia fans should be proud of and that is a testament to the value of preservation of a rich history called retro-gaming.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#362253 - 01/05/17 06:52 AM

>Sound is much better, although you have to adjust the volumes of the other two devices to hear it well.

Still wip for time being since it has 'imperfect sound' warning. Besides future fixes, it might also require (analog filtering) and that gets over to analog discrete area which few can really do that type of work.

>Now if someone would only fix those wrong colors in the astrocade driver.....on going bug
>that seems to have been forgotten, not even mentioned in the pre-game screen of gorf, but
>it does mention the sound not being complete.

The imperfect sound flag was obvious since Votrax speech chip support was way off. As for Gorf video, there had been past different viewpoint arguments about whether video is accurate or not.....same thing regarding specific colors of Mr. Do many years earlier. These were arguments that also happened on old MAME.net web site as well.

The last dev that did Astrocade hardware overhaul, maybe Aaron Giles iirc, felt Gorf video output was okay and probably why no flag of either MACHINE_IMPERFECT_COLORS or MACHINE_IMPERFECT_GRAPHICS.....the actual flag for Gorf should imperfect graphics in case Gorf needed to be flagged again.

The emulation is now to where it gets into 'fine details' where specific adjustments can make a difference. One such example of getting video output just right is Konami Nemesis video hardware update a few years earlier with AWJ and couriersud working together to get color pallete output correct. src/mame/video/nemesis.cpp

Maybe same type of work of refining analog components (assuming Gorf pcb uses any) on src/mame/video/astrocde.cpp for Gorf video output might be needed. It will require someone to look over schematics and also have Gorf pcb to help verify.

For now, the speech output work is more than enough to please folks because quite a few users had asked about improved Votrax speech support for many years and it is great to have seen it become possible.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC. new [Re: RdW]
#362259 - 01/05/17 04:22 PM

> > Would it make any sense at all for the MAME
> > developers to add ROM sets to MAME that people can't get?
>
> raflsiau P ;-)

That was my first thought too.

To be fair, that was supposed to be released but was lost in a hard drive crash. I remember it wasn't for a couple releases that it was removed from the source when it became clear that it wasn't going to be found again anytime soon.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC. new [Re: gregf]
#362262 - 01/05/17 05:50 PM

> For now, the speech output work is more than enough to please folks because quite a
> few users had asked about improved Votrax speech support for many years and it is
> great to have seen it become possible.

Totally agree. OG's Votrax work was entirely unexpected and SUCH a nice surprise. I realize LN had a hand in this too, so hats off to him as well.

Aside from the pitch issue that has been widely reported, I noticed crackling noises in Q*bert. When I played for long enough, I noticed loud popping noises and in one game the sound cut out entirely. I'm sure that's well-known but I just wanted to share my own experiences. Overall though, what a fantastic job. We can now enjoy hearing Q*bert belch out randomized phonemes when he dies, rather than the canned audio samples as was the case until now. It's these little things that make such a huge difference to the preservation effort.

There are other lesser-known cases where the SC-01 is used, such as the Apple II game "Crime Wave" when Mockingboard speech is turned on, but I haven't had time to test that yet.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Mame .182-votrax roms now have bad CRC. new [Re: Shoegazr]
#362268 - 01/05/17 09:41 PM

>> For now, the speech output work is more than enough to please folks because quite a
>> few users had asked about improved Votrax speech support for many years and it is
>> great to have seen it become possible.

>Totally agree. OG's Votrax work was entirely unexpected and SUCH a nice surprise. I
>realize LN had a hand in this too, so hats off to him as well.

I knew OG was looking at it within last year or so, but wasn't sure if anything would happen. And as you mention...credits to LN getting info from various patent application paperwork over the years to get as much info as possible about Votrax hardware.

>Aside from the pitch issue that has been widely reported, I noticed crackling noises in
>Q*bert. When I played for long enough, I noticed loud popping noises and in one game the
>sound cut out entirely.

Eventually there should be future filter work involved to refine the noise/audio output to get audio to where it should be just like from actual cab hardware.

>There are other lesser-known cases where the SC-01 is used, such as the Apple II game
>"Crime Wave" when Mockingboard speech is turned on, but I haven't had time to test that yet.

I thought there were some various versions of Votrax speech hardware, but I haven't looked that over.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4426