MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU and Game Preservation Society member Joseph R. stars in new pro quality preservation documentary
#362970 - 01/27/17 03:01 AM

Click the CC button for English subs. Don't bother asking about when anything will be in mame because everything in Japan is still subject to their rules and seemingly infinite patience. Obviously I want everything.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: DU and Game Preservation Society member Joseph R. stars in new pro quality preservation documentary new [Re: Smitdogg]
#362973 - 01/27/17 04:43 AM

Very cool. The tower looks like crazy climber. Is it a pc game or arcade?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU and Game Preservation Society member Joseph R. stars in new pro quality preservation documentary new [Re: joey35car]
#362974 - 01/27/17 04:45 AM

http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=The_Tower

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

Re: DU and Game Preservation Society member Joseph R. stars in new pro quality preservation documentary new [Re: Smitdogg]
#362975 - 01/27/17 05:04 AM

Thanks for the link. Looks like it came out in 1980 same as crazy climber. Wonder who thought of the game first.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU and Game Preservation Society member Joseph R. stars in new pro quality preservation documentary new [Re: joey35car]
#362976 - 01/27/17 05:06 AM

Yeah it certainly points to one of them being a ripoff. I'm sure we can track down the dates in time.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#362978 - 01/27/17 05:41 AM

> Yeah it certainly points to one of them being a ripoff. I'm sure we can track down
> the dates in time.

According to "Arcade TV Game List, Domestic and Foreign Edition (1971-2005)" (Arcade TV Game List Kokunai - Kaigai Hen (1971-2005)) by Masumi Akagi
(illegal? ebook here: https://archive.org/details/ArcadeTVGameListKokunai-KaigaiHen1971-2005)

1. クレイジークライマー (Crazy Climber) - Nichibutsu - 11/1980
2. ザ・タワー (The Tower) - Data East - 03/1981

Take that with a grain of salt, of course. I have also seen 10/1980 for Crazy Climber and 12/1980 for The Tower. Still, that in theory puts Crazy Climber first.

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU and Game Preservation Society member Joseph R. stars in new pro quality preservation documentary new [Re: Stiletto]
#362979 - 01/27/17 05:50 AM

Your release date skills are impressive, but do you check your email?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#362980 - 01/27/17 05:55 AM

> Your release date skills are impressive, but do you check your email?

Yeah, gimme a minute and I'll answer.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#362984 - 01/27/17 08:44 AM

>Don't bother asking about when anything will be in mame because everything in Japan is
>still subject to their rules and seemingly infinite patience. Obviously I want everything.

Kudos to the group for Deco cassette title Ocean to Ocean being allowed to be emulated.

I wonder how their equipment rates versus what Charles MacDonald was using when Charles was also working with various DECO cassettes here in the States a few years earlier.

And a familiar name QtQ that posted here in the past is interviewed on the program.

* gregf's post length mode mini rant*

What is unfortunate is maybe the producers had to leave out any emulation [decision by the companies' legal staff ] discussions of where various groups across the globe have been doing preservation projects here and there [Al Kossow and Computer History Museum etc.] I know the program had to be brief for time constraints and showing what is only going on in Japan. But had the show been on Japanese television and lasted an hour and left off a lot, it might leave the viewers with the impression that barely anything is going on when in actuality the videogaming preservation, in various aspects, has been going on since early to mid 1990s.

What is too bad is the producers didn't cover any 1970s Japanese arcade games other than have owner of the shop say "pcbs inside a cocktail table" get rust buildup. It leaves the impression that there are no longer any 1970s era Japanese arcade games.....all gone. Asking about the Computer Space cabs that are in the shop and seeing if one can be powered on to show what the game looks like would be nice.....unless those are all broken as well.

*end of soapbox rant*

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU and Game Preservation Society member Joseph R. stars in new pro quality preservation documentary new [Re: gregf]
#362995 - 01/27/17 07:39 PM

I imagine no data makes games unsexy to most people for preservation. That and the woman's toes in the Computer Space flyer. Those crusty shits don't help. I think explaining to most people that they were a series of weird old chips with no data would probably melt a lot of brains as well since it goes against everything anyone has ever been taught about video games. But I have no idea the real reasons they were left out, though the tech for much of the stuff shown was developed in the 70s.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2689