View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

How to run SNES/nes games through software lists
#363077 - 01/30/17 04:03 AM

I'm going to run my games using software lists for SNES and NES, but the lists are refusing to run my game files. For example, I have a nes game called shatterhand.nes and named it after the softlist entry, which would be shatterhu.nes but it doesn't work. Then I saw that mame looks for 2 files now instead of one, one ending in chr and another weird name that I don't remember now. If I mount the game file, it runs fine. But when I try to run it using the softlist, it fails to load/run and says that the required files are missing.

How am I supposed to name my ROM to run it using the nes software list? Detail: i'm using the latest qmc2 frontend to run everything.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: How to run SNES/nes games through software lists new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#363078 - 01/30/17 04:05 AM

> I'm going to run my games using software lists for SNES and new consoles, but the
> lists are refusing to run my game files. For example, I have a nes game called
> shatterhand.nes and named it after the softlist entry, which would be shatterhu.nes
> but it doesn't work. Then I saw that mame looks for 2 files now instead of one, one
> ending in chr and another weird name that I don't remember now. If I mount the game
> file, it runs fine. But when I try to run it using the softlist, it fails to
> load/run.
>
> How am I supposed to name my ROM to run it from the nes software list?

you're meant to use the correct roms, just like for the rest of MAME

renaming something doesn't make it the correct rom

MAME expects NES dumps in the form they were on the cartridges, so if there were 2 chips, there should be 2 roms.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: How to run SNES/nes games through software lists new [Re: Haze]
#363079 - 01/30/17 04:07 AM

Wow!! That was quick!! Thanks for the quick reply haze. So in this case, my current file is useless. I'll search for the correct dumps and try again.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#363081 - 01/30/17 05:16 AM

If you know how to use command line tools, you can also give it a try to uCON64 and split it yourself. That is if the ROM is correctly dumped nor the header isn't corrupted.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: How to run SNES/nes games through software lists new [Re: BIOS-D]
#363087 - 01/30/17 03:11 PM

> If you know how to use command line tools, you can also give it a try to uCON64 and
> split it yourself. That is if the ROM is correctly dumped nor the header isn't
> corrupted.

Thanks for the tip. I'm familiar with commandline tools but this one is quite confusing, with too many parameters and I don't know which ones are required and which ones are optional. Could you please put a simple example of commandline here to just extract the roms from my file named shatterhand.nes?

EDIT: it seems that I found the parameter... did the following:

ucon64 shatterhand.nes -s -o c:\temp

and it extracted the following files do my c:\temp folder:

shatterhand.chr
shatterhand.prg
shatterhand.prm

I guess it's going to work now, let me know if I did something wrong please.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#363088 - 01/30/17 03:32 PM

That should be correct, it's good you figured it out on your own. In MAME emulation terms this tool is really useful for splitting NES/SNES ROMs so as to change N64 dumps byte order so they match the softlist.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3578