MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party
#363236 - 02/05/17 03:55 PM

We dumped the rare Deco Cassette Flashboy, the first ever version of "The Deco Kid" game! It took approximately 100 hours of work to get a good dump. You can tell already I didn't dump it personally because I don't have anywhere near that much patience. When this game was originally released the title for the game was "Flash Boy" in Japan and "The Deco Kid" for the export release. Later Data East changed the title to "The Deco Kid" for all vertical versions and "Flash Boy" for the horizontal versions. This dump is the original/first ever released version of the game, a vertical Japan release.

We dumped Dodge Man, an extremely rare PCB from from Omori in 1983! It's cooler than a polar bear's toenail!

We dumped Jump-Kun, an early prototype platformer by Kaneko!

We dumped Omega, a rare game from Nihon System. Only a few PCBs were produced, putting in around a prototype level in rarity.

We dumped the rare Segasonic Cosmo Fighter Galaxy Patrol thanks to an anonymous donator.

We secured a PCB believed to be called Acchi Muite Hoi. The auction I believe mentioned something about it being made by Atlas, the PCB shows NTC. Several games have been made with this as part of their title. It involves game that is a Japanese variant of tic-tac-toe.

A friend of the DU has bought a Strikes & Spares cabinet and is going to get it dumped. More info later on that.

We picked up a rare ST-V cart called Tatacot. Nobody knows what it is. It could be the best game you've ever played, could be the worst. It could get you laid. It could give your cat a seizure and give your dog rabies.

Update: info found for Tatacot
http://www.sega-mag.com/images-Tatacot+++Critter+Crusher-Arcade-6458-2.htm

We picked up a rare ST-V cart called Hashire Patrol Car. It is apparently a medal game.

We secured a Gaelco Football PCB set. It seems to be fairly rare and is said to be a fun game.

Surgeville dumped Gone Fishing for us. It's an arcade game similar to the similar flash game from a decade ago.

Lastly, we dumped TT Defender. "TT" is a brand Taito used in the early 80's on games where they produced the hardware themselves for Japan releases. TT Defender runs on different hardware from the Defender sets currently in MAME.

DoomSooth
Reged: 01/18/04
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363238 - 02/05/17 04:34 PM

Looks like Tatacot is a whack-a-mole game.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

I added in the info, thanks (nt) new [Re: DoomSooth]
#363239 - 02/05/17 04:43 PM

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#363240 - 02/05/17 04:55 PM

> We dumped the rare Deco Cassette Flashboy, the first ever version of "The Deco Kid"
> game! It took approximately 100 hours of work to get a good dump. You can tell
> already I didn't dump it personally because I don't have anywhere near that much
> patience. When this game was originally released the title for the game was "Flash
> Boy" in Japan and "The Deco Kid" for the export release. Later Data East changed the
> title to "The Deco Kid" for all vertical versions and "Flash Boy" for the horizontal
> versions. This dump is the original/first ever released version of the game, a
> vertical Japan release.
>
>
> We dumped Dodge Man, an extremely rare PCB from from Omori in 1983! It's cooler than
> a polar bear's toenail!
>
>
> We dumped Jump-Kun, an early prototype platformer by Kaneko!
>
>
> We dumped Omega, a rare game from Nihon System. Only a few PCBs were produced,
> putting in around a prototype level in rarity.
>
>
> We dumped the rare Segasonic Cosmo Fighter Galaxy Patrol thanks to an anonymous
> donator.
>
>
> We secured a PCB believed to be called Acchi Muite Hoi. The auction I believe
> mentioned something about it being made by Atlas, the PCB shows NTC. Several games
> have been made with this as part of their title. It involves game that is a Japanese
> variant of tic-tac-toe.
>
>
> A friend of the DU has bought a Strikes & Spares cabinet and is going to get it
> dumped. More info later on that.
>
>
> We picked up a rare ST-V cart called Tatacot. Nobody knows what it is. It could be
> the best game you've ever played, could be the worst. It could get you laid. It could
> give your cat a seizure and give your dog rabies.
>
>
> Update: info found for Tatacot
> http://www.sega-mag.com/images-Tatacot+++Critter+Crusher-Arcade-6458-2.htm
>
>
> We picked up a rare ST-V cart called Hashire Patrol Car. It is apparently a medal
> game.
>
>
> We secured a Gaelco Football PCB set. It seems to be fairly rare and is said to be a
> fun game.
>
>
> Surgeville dumped Gone Fishing for us. It's an arcade game similar to the similar
> flash game from a decade ago.
>
>
> Lastly, we dumped TT Defender. "TT" is a brand Taito used in the early 80's on games
> where they produced the hardware themselves for Japan releases. TT Defender runs on
> different hardware from the Defender sets currently in MAME.

Flash Boy? That looks like a dead ringer for Osamu Tezuka's "Astro Boy / Tetsuwan Atomo" manga.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: Master O]
#363241 - 02/05/17 05:01 PM

From what I heard they copied it without getting permission and even used Astro Boy music.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#363245 - 02/05/17 08:09 PM

> From what I heard they copied it without getting permission and even used Astro Boy
> music.

I'm old enough that I used to actually watch the original cartoon when I was but a wee kid.

I too noticed that it was astro boy on the post.

Only here to annoy...

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#363247 - 02/05/17 09:39 PM

Odd, Shou confirms to me that he IS NOT releasing Jump-Kun so it does not belong in this thread.

Dodgeman is the same hardware as Battle Cross but with an extra AY populated. It has lots of errors in the driver however because the driver makes bad assumptions, didn't find time to fix it, too busy with real work. Kale has added it, although the issues I mention remain.

> We dumped the rare Deco Cassette Flashboy, the first ever version of "The Deco Kid"
> game! It took approximately 100 hours of work to get a good dump. You can tell
> already I didn't dump it personally because I don't have anywhere near that much
> patience. When this game was originally released the title for the game was "Flash
> Boy" in Japan and "The Deco Kid" for the export release. Later Data East changed the
> title to "The Deco Kid" for all vertical versions and "Flash Boy" for the horizontal
> versions. This dump is the original/first ever released version of the game, a
> vertical Japan release.
>
>
> We dumped Dodge Man, an extremely rare PCB from from Omori in 1983! It's cooler than
> a polar bear's toenail!
>
>
> We dumped Jump-Kun, an early prototype platformer by Kaneko!
>
>
> We dumped Omega, a rare game from Nihon System. Only a few PCBs were produced,
> putting in around a prototype level in rarity.
>
>
> We dumped the rare Segasonic Cosmo Fighter Galaxy Patrol thanks to an anonymous
> donator.
>
>
> We secured a PCB believed to be called Acchi Muite Hoi. The auction I believe
> mentioned something about it being made by Atlas, the PCB shows NTC. Several games
> have been made with this as part of their title. It involves game that is a Japanese
> variant of tic-tac-toe.
>
>
> A friend of the DU has bought a Strikes & Spares cabinet and is going to get it
> dumped. More info later on that.
>
>
> We picked up a rare ST-V cart called Tatacot. Nobody knows what it is. It could be
> the best game you've ever played, could be the worst. It could get you laid. It could
> give your cat a seizure and give your dog rabies.
>
>
> Update: info found for Tatacot
> http://www.sega-mag.com/images-Tatacot+++Critter+Crusher-Arcade-6458-2.htm
>
>
> We picked up a rare ST-V cart called Hashire Patrol Car. It is apparently a medal
> game.
>
>
> We secured a Gaelco Football PCB set. It seems to be fairly rare and is said to be a
> fun game.
>
>
> Surgeville dumped Gone Fishing for us. It's an arcade game similar to the similar
> flash game from a decade ago.
>
>
> Lastly, we dumped TT Defender. "TT" is a brand Taito used in the early 80's on games
> where they produced the hardware themselves for Japan releases. TT Defender runs on
> different hardware from the Defender sets currently in MAME.

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

#363253 - 02/06/17 12:03 AM

AWESOME STUFF!

Great to see incredibly rare stuff like Dodgeman get saved from oblivion, and I've been waiting for Flash Boy/Deco Kid to turn up for a long time!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#363257 - 02/06/17 01:49 AM

Awright.......a very "big-ly" (word salad combo description that derived from two words 'big league' from a particular candidate's campaign speech from last year) shout out to the various contributors for these finds and contributions.

>We dumped the rare Deco Cassette Flashboy, the first ever version of "The Deco Kid"
>game! It took approximately 100 hours of work to get a good dump. You can tell
>already I didn't dump it personally because I don't have anywhere near that much
>patience. When this game was originally released the title for the game was "Flash
>Boy" in Japan and "The Deco Kid" for the export release. Later Data East changed
>the title to "The Deco Kid" for all vertical versions and "Flash Boy" for the
>horizontal versions. This dump is the original/first ever released version of the
>game, a vertical Japan release.

Kudos to the Game Preservation Society folks that also did preservation work with Ocean To Ocean in 2016.

-
Flash Boy (vertical) [DECO Cassette MD] (No.12/Ver.0/Set.1,Japan) [Game Preservation Society]

Jean-Francois Del Nero
Omar Cornut
Game Preservation Society
Joseph Redon
-

QtQ and I were posting about this in 2012.

-
11/18/2012

gregf: I'd like to believe that the DECO game might be emulated in the future.
QtQ: Me too!
-

Good to see it finally happen these many years later. Going back to an old thread from years earlier, I hope other DECO cassette titles can be saved while still possible.....at least better documented just in case things are still sketchy at this time.

-
DU Update: Deco cassette dumps
02/04/13

We've dumped a bunch of tapes and dongles. It is slightly messy at the moment because of cassette dumps getting their ends padded with blank space in mame but (very) roughly it's looking like:

Lock'n'Chase (Japan original no rev)
Pro Tennis (Japan original no rev + fix for incorrect dongle read)
Graplop (Japan original no rev)
Fishing (Japan original no rev, redump with newer tools)
Hamburger (Japan original no rev, redump with newer tools)
Super Double Tennis (Japan original no rev, redump with newer tools)
Burnin' Rubber (Japan original no rev)
-

Juergen B / Al Kossow got things started in 2001 (and earlier) and then on to Dave Widel a few years later and then on to Charles M. and Haze from a few years ago and now to Game Preservation Society. In the meantime, props to everyone involved for working on this hardware platform over the past several years.

Maybe the DECO cassette system will be fully resolved in another ten years.

>dumped Dodge Man, an extremely rare PCB from from Omori in 1983!

Good find. It looks like an interesting game when I first noticed the flyer when Bobby Tribble placed on unMAMEd site years earlier.

>dumped the rare Segasonic Cosmo Fighter Galaxy Patrol

The crazy thing about this, already messaged to Haze a week or two ago, is some company (maybe some tv show producers/production company?) was purging various videoclips of actual gameplay taken from the various Sega kiddie cabs at locations and shops in Japan......probably because of the "Sonic" character image. The emulated game screens/gameplay should still be on Youtube, but anything showing the videogame being played in an actual cab.....most of those have been purged from Youtube.

>A friend of the DU has bought a Strikes & Spares cabinet and is going to get it dumped.
>More info later on that.

Now this is a find. I am not sure if any web sites had info about Strikes & Spares being an actual game product that was made by Mirco games during 1970s. I wonder if Mirco had made the game first and Exidy licensed from them when Exidy's Robot Bowl was marketed or maybe Meadows was involved with their own version Meadows Lanes.

Interesting to see Mirco was marketing their own version of a bowling game.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#363279 - 02/06/17 10:06 PM

>and I've been waiting for Flash Boy/Deco Kid to turn up for a long time!

QtQ and I had a thread regarding the game in November 2012 Good to see the game supported/preserved years later.

I hope the Game Preservation group is able to do some future additional work in documenting (if needing to) the other DECO cassette titles currently supported in MAME and also add any other DECO cassette titles not yet supported while tapes are still readable.

The Tower and Hello Gate Ball are the two I would like to see out of the remaining cassette titles. As usual, I am glad Manhattan was added because I did get to play that game a couple times at the long ago Electronic Corral arcade (Lakewood, CA mall) back in 1981. The arcade probably had Manhattan for a couple months and it was gone by late 1981.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#363288 - 02/07/17 04:59 AM

> AWESOME STUFF!
>
> Great to see incredibly rare stuff like Dodgeman get saved from oblivion, and I've
> been waiting for Flash Boy/Deco Kid to turn up for a long time!

At some point, Mame will emulate oblivion, so further saving won't be necessary.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: Master O]
#363305 - 02/07/17 09:47 PM

>At some point, Mame will emulate oblivion, so further saving won't be necessary.

So that means there is a future chance that MAME might have Entertainment Science's Bouncer?

MrGoodwraith
Barnacle Clinging to the Ship of MAME
Reged: 10/12/05
Send PM

#363337 - 02/08/17 07:09 PM

It's been over a dozen years since I was actually on the MAME team, but I've never stopped following this forum. My thanks and congratulations to everyone who's worked on the project and lent a helping hand. My special thanks to Smitdogg, who has curated the effort to dump materials for MAME much better than I ever did. Skoal and excelsior!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: MrGoodwraith]
#363341 - 02/08/17 11:55 PM

You did great work also back then.

>My thanks and congratulations to everyone who's worked on the project and lent a helping hand.

Mine would be props to you, Stiletto, and Dan H. (now Flyer Fever site) for helping me remember some game names back in early 2002 when it was all made by Nintendo back in 1970s (The slideshow slide image thread of 01/08/16) before Nintendo became a really well known familiar name to everyone in the western hemisphere.

On to hopefully finding any of the WG film reels.

nikolas1960
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/17
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: gregf]
#363677 - 02/19/17 02:44 PM

Hallo there!
I like to make a question!
I hope it won't be taken as a request!
If it is,please forgive me,accept my apologies,and delete this message,I don't want to make troubles,just because of my anxiety!
Is there any chance to see deco kid-flash boy ,in new coming MAME version 0.183?
I see it is dumped,but i know it is not an easy thing to be emulated.
Thanks in advance,and of course a million thanks you find this little treasure,and the whole work in MAME!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: nikolas1960]
#363678 - 02/19/17 02:52 PM

Yes it was added 2 weeks ago

https://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=d20b4ba6864b45d0c068d98d43e63c8bc5014a3b

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#363679 - 02/19/17 03:11 PM

> I see it is dumped,but i know it is not an easy thing to be emulated.

Why ?
Every single ROM in a DECO Cassette driver is in the "Working" state !

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#363683 - 02/19/17 09:28 PM

>Is there any chance to see deco kid-flash boy ,in new coming MAME version 0.183?

As Smit already mentioned, it is supported. With the current method of source development for MAME, it is now possible for anyone to make an early executable build on their own computer......provided that one has the correct compiler and software utilites (on MAMEdev site) to create their own build before official release. The requirement is one has to have a computer powerful enough to make their own build or else have patience to wait nearly 10 to 15 hours if only having a Pentium computer with 32 bit operating system when doing the compiling. If the computer system is outdated (older than 10 years), wait for official release within next few days.

>I see it is dumped,but i know it is not an easy thing to be emulated.

With the previous work done by Juergen B. (and Al Kossow), dwidel, Charles M, and Haze, over past 15 years, it was possible for Game Preservation group to make some modifications to DECO cassette source code in order to get Astro Boy working. Any future Deco cassette game additions should probably be able to be added with minimal hassles.

nikolas1960
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: DU: MAME 20th Anniversary Party new [Re: gregf]
#363689 - 02/19/17 11:00 PM

THANK YOU ALL!
I am not good in that,so i had to ask!
So i will start to refresh the page,hoping to see soon the next version!
OK i was waiting for 17 years when i learn about MAME,so a few days,or weeks,won't be a problem!
Thanks again!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#363690 - 02/19/17 11:33 PM

New mames come out on the last Wednesday of the month so the next version will be out on the 22nd. You can also get interim arcade-only builds here:

http://ashura.mameworld.info/nightlybuilds/builds.html

nikolas1960
MAME Fan
Send PM

#363737 - 02/21/17 09:17 PM

THANKS A MILLION FOR THE INFO!
I will wait the official for the windows,because i am not good at that!
Anyway you are great!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6804