View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Doubt about the new Bad Dudes MCU
#363766 - 02/22/17 07:35 PM

Thanks to Caps0ff now Bad Dudes has its MCU emulated. But does it improve something in the Dragonninja emulation in any way as well? Or these drivers do not have relation to one-another?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Doubt about the new Bad Dudes MCU new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#363767 - 02/22/17 07:52 PM

I haven't looked into that case but for some MCUs you aren't going to notice a difference and having a dump is more of a being able to fix a pcb with dead MCU thing. The most extreme example I can think of is one of the Capcom shooting games just having a tiny check on bootup to see if it's there. The simulation in mame simply tells the game to skip it. So having that chip dumped does nothing for a gamer whatsoever. Likewise if anything more complicated is faked well enough, it'll be the same situation.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#363768 - 02/22/17 08:09 PM

It was said in IRC that the MCU data is barely used. I played through the entire game and also didn't notice anything being different.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#363775 - 02/23/17 12:46 AM

I made a hacked version of the Bad Dudes MCU program that works with Dragonninja and MAME uses that for emulation now. The MCU emulation doesn't affect gameplay in MAME. The MCU is more effective as protection against region-swapping on a PCB than anything else, and the game doesn't use all the features of the MCU program. As others have said, it will help people who want to repair (or region-swap) boards, and it also documents how the system actually works.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1352