MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance.
#364990 - 04/07/17 10:40 AM

Here is why I think it not gonna happen. They don't have the time to do it. Over 2TB of these games.

Same for the Dreamcast and others. No telling the complete set size on these.

So far the Neo-Geo CD is completed. Unless I'm wrong. I don't know what else is completed.

Will be very hard to trace down the good dumps anyway.

More important is getting those system stable on MAME as they can. Not about the games.

Best thing to do is to run the cue on MAME. Don't wait on them adding more.

By the way. Don't go crazy getting all the games. Waste your time. Play what you like the most. You won't be playing all of the games anyway.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Wow. new [Re: Dullaron]
#364992 - 04/07/17 12:04 PM

Your ignorance is staggering indeed.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Dullaron]
#365096 - 04/11/17 04:40 AM

> Here is why I think it not gonna happen. They don't have the time to do it. Over 2TB
> of these games.
>
> Same for the Dreamcast and others. No telling the complete set size on these.
>
> So far the Neo-Geo CD is completed. Unless I'm wrong. I don't know what else is
> completed.
>
> Will be very hard to trace down the good dumps anyway.
>
> More important is getting those system stable on MAME as they can. Not about the
> games.
>
> Best thing to do is to run the cue on MAME. Don't wait on them adding more.
>
> By the way. Don't go crazy getting all the games. Waste your time. Play what you like
> the most. You won't be playing all of the games anyway.

Dumping certain PSX games is a pain in the ass and most of the time they have audio tracks which only a select few drives (mostly Plextor, which are expensive as they are/were also the 'audiophile' grade drives, not a $2 CD drive you might find in a thrift store) are known to dump audio tracks correctly so that the dumps are always identical. All CD drives and rippers e.g. IsoBuster, EAC can dump audio tracks but most of them will generate a different checksum if the disc is dumped as a single file due to the drive offsets, gap detection etc. Basically it's the gaps of zeroes between each track which causes the different dumps to occur even on the same pressing or even the exact same disc dumped with another drive. Then there's the games with protection, sub-channel data and the like.

The current redump.org database needs to be updated too, as when people dumped games over the years (back when redump.org was PSXDB) they never bothered adding information like matrix codes (or ringcodes as they call them over there) and part numbers - given that the discs were "black" on the back and with the front covered by the game artwork (except for the PAL Platinum discs and very few others), some people didn't even know they had any matrix codes at all. The CD matrix codes/serial numbers are the equivalent of Sega's part numbers on their chips.

For now, MAME only needs to convert the verified redump (green) discs to CHD and it's done. Otherwise it's just going to continue to load bin+cue files instead of using the softlist.

Another set of games which will be good fun to add to MAME when that day comes is PS2. They released over 5000 games in the PAL region alone, and that doesn't even count for clones where the base serial number was identical but the disc was a newer pressing e.g. San Andreas V1 and V2. The PS2 disc sizes are anything from a few megabytes (e.g. shitty Phoenix games) through to 700MB CD-ROMs, all the way up to 8GB dual layer DVD-ROMs. Most of them are single layer DVDs however, but those are still 1-4GB each. Converting them to CHD won't make them much smaller either, as a lot of the game data is highly compressed as it is - even when using 7z/RAR they don't always compress that well. 50% of 4GB is still 2GB.

Bigster
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Dullaron]
#365097 - 04/11/17 05:17 AM

This has to be a joke. Maybe late April fools. He registered 12 yrs ago. He has 7000 posts...he cant be serious. Besides the new trolls are the ones that ask "how come by pi3 cant play saturn games at full speed.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Bigster]
#365102 - 04/11/17 06:54 AM

> This has to be a joke. Maybe late April fools. He registered 12 yrs ago. He has 7000
> posts...he cant be serious. Besides the new trolls are the ones that ask "how come by
> pi3 cant play saturn games at full speed.

Not a joke on what I said. They don't have the time to get all those added. Maybe in 15 years or so. Don't count on it. I'm not even for sure MAME Dev still be around in 15 years or so.

People get old. I'm getting older each day. Not a robot.

Same for these forums and Smitt...

You have to see the reality here.

Might happen or not gonna happen at all. That my question here. Not even gonna hold my breath here.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Bigster]
#365103 - 04/11/17 09:51 AM

> This has to be a joke. Maybe late April fools. He registered 12 yrs ago. He has 7000
> posts...he cant be serious. Besides the new trolls are the ones that ask "how come by
> pi3 cant play saturn games at full speed.

He just has disabilities.

I'm sure a full PSX list will happen with time.

The one that is there was made of 'at risk' sets that weren't part of a major collection at the time.

At the time I didn't want to take it further because I didn't want to overwhelm people, especially at the emulation was a lot more hit or miss than it is now.

A way to handle / detect the various copy protected images with a higher degree of confidence would help too (a method to convert the custom protection data format various PSX emulators use into a standard sub-data track could be handy) likewise a set of tools to comprehensively compare CD images, similar to romcmp so it's easier to tell the difference between two reads.

Otherwise PSX isn't that difficult, just a large amount of data.

Something like ZX Spectrum library is a much bigger undertaking, to be done well something like that will require somebody to be dedicated to doing almost nothing else, especially if we want to analyze in detail all the various loading routines that were used and make notes of them, and when you're dealing with such a large set of data any additional notes like that start to become useful. Again MAME really needs to hit 100% perfect emulation before that happens tho, because right now some of the copy protection schemes are so timing dependent there are images that don't work. Even places like World of Spectrum aren't perfect such is the magnitude of the task - there's actually an awful lot of 'at risk' software on these systems, even some of the recent stuff or unique cracks that don't get the same level of attention as popular releases.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Haze]
#365110 - 04/11/17 01:16 PM

> Something like ZX Spectrum library is a much bigger undertaking, to be done well
> something like that will require somebody to be dedicated to doing almost nothing
> else, especially if we want to analyze in detail all the various loading routines
> that were used and make notes of them, and when you're dealing with such a large set
> of data any additional notes like that start to become useful. Again MAME really
> needs to hit 100% perfect emulation before that happens tho, because right now some
> of the copy protection schemes are so timing dependent there are images that don't
> work. Even places like World of Spectrum aren't perfect such is the magnitude of the
> task - there's actually an awful lot of 'at risk' software on these systems, even
> some of the recent stuff or unique cracks that don't get the same level of attention
> as popular releases.

By way of example, look at the situation with the Apple II and the "4AM" cracks that have been getting posted to the Internet Archive: there remains a ton of uncracked, improperly cracked, or generally not-ideally-preserved Apple II disks out there, and it hasn't been until recently that the ultimate combination of perfect emulation, an incredibly gifted Apple II cracker, the full force of Jason Scott's skill at promotion, and the necessary hardware existed.

Something like this is going to need to happen for any other systems that people want to see preserved to that level, and it needs to happen soon, as media is degrading by the second.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#365126 - 04/11/17 08:07 PM

> > This has to be a joke. Maybe late April fools. He registered 12 yrs ago. He has
> 7000
> > posts...he cant be serious. Besides the new trolls are the ones that ask "how come
> by
> > pi3 cant play saturn games at full speed.
>
> Not a joke on what I said. They don't have the time to get all those added. Maybe in
> 15 years or so. Don't count on it. I'm not even for sure MAME Dev still be around in
> 15 years or so.
>
> People get old. I'm getting older each day. Not a robot.
>
> Same for these forums and Smitt...
>
> You have to see the reality here.
>
> Might happen or not gonna happen at all. That my question here. Not even gonna hold
> my breath here.

It won't be 15 years. It just needs a group of people to add the thousands of games to the database and/or convert them to CHDs if necessary. After that's done, the next step will probably be "un-mod-chipping" the driver so that it actually works as the console was designed and refuses to boot wrong-region/unlicensed/pirated games, by dumping any missing data (e.g. 22KHz wobble SCEA/SCEE/SCEI strings or whatever) from the original CDs themselves exactly as it appears on the disc.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#365127 - 04/11/17 08:17 PM

I have a huge collection of psx pal isos from redump that I can convert to chd and send to mamedevs if someone tells me how to do it...

Is there some kind of most wanted list of games anywhere?

RETRODANUART.COM

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#365128 - 04/11/17 08:41 PM

> It won't be 15 years. It just needs a group of people to add the thousands of games
> to the database and/or convert them to CHDs if necessary. After that's done, the next
> step will probably be "un-mod-chipping" the driver so that it actually works as the
> console was designed and refuses to boot wrong-region/unlicensed/pirated games, by
> dumping any missing data (e.g. 22KHz wobble SCEA/SCEE/SCEI strings or whatever) from
> the original CDs themselves exactly as it appears on the disc.

required condition: CHD format itself must fully preserve necessary disk data.
current CHD core/format do not preserve full TOC, not support multi-session disks, not really support DVDs (currently they are compressed as HDDs).
until this will be implemented - in my honest opinion, there no good reason in adding to MAME dumps which uses/have mentioned above.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#365139 - 04/12/17 05:20 AM

Even good old x86 boxes will prob need some work too. You could do some screwy stuff at the bios level with the disk drives.

https://fdutils.linux.lu/Fdutils.html#SEC38
or the old DOS fdformat_1.8 (same name but diff code, similar results) that did something similar. Didnt work on all drives though as it was out of spec.

I'm pretty sure almost all of these systems had something like that to hide things or DRM or protection or whatever. Even something like on newer OS's where if you read the disk one way you got one set of data then read the cd backwards it would give you something totally different because of the subdata correction data.

It will take time and effort and someone able and willing to slog through thousands of disks. It prob also means a v6 of the chd format as it is missing some bits needed for CDs/DVDs to be done 'just right'. Ideally able to take some of the existing formats and recreate them if needed.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: MAME gonna have the rest of PSX games added? Not a chance. new [Re: Sthiryu]
#365144 - 04/12/17 05:58 AM

> I have a huge collection of psx pal isos from redump that I can convert to chd and
> send to mamedevs if someone tells me how to do it...
>
> Is there some kind of most wanted list of games anywhere?

Let them look on their own. I'm sure they know where to look.

Dullaron
Send PM

#365145 - 04/12/17 06:11 AM

> It won't be 15 years. It just needs a group of people to add the thousands of games
> to the database and/or convert them to CHDs if necessary.

I hope so.

Problem is the CHD have to be redone all over again if there is a bad dump found.

But it would be nice to do this way. CHD Track 1, CHD Track 2 and so on. This way if there a bad dump then it easier just replace that one without doing a full CHD all over again. (So probably not gonna happen on this idea. I'm over my head. Just a thought.)

Dullaron
Send PM

OK I'm bored now. new [Re: Dullaron]
#365150 - 04/12/17 08:36 AM

Getting old talking about this.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: OK I'm bored now. new [Re: Dullaron]
#365201 - 04/15/17 01:58 AM

> Getting old talking about this.

Then don't start a controversial topic with a stupid subject line. You don't get to start a controversial topic and then bail on it when it becomes evident to everyone how dumb you are. This is your legacy. Own it. Learn from this.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: OK I'm bored now. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#365202 - 04/15/17 03:46 AM

> > Getting old talking about this.
>
> Then don't start a controversial topic with a stupid subject line. You don't get to
> start a controversial topic and then bail on it when it becomes evident to everyone
> how dumb you are. This is your legacy. Own it. Learn from this.

Yep I feeling the stupidly and really bored. Kicking a dead horse doesn't solve anything.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2294