View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

VHSer
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/27/11
Send PM

Get Rid Of MAME Menu
#365331 - 04/21/17 10:09 PM

I have a bit of a weird problem. I have MAME on my nes classic edition and love it. But two games are acting weird. Battlezone and Lunar Lander. The games start just fine. When I "add coins", again...it's fine. But then, when I hit start to begin a game, the black and white MAME menu pops up, making the games impossible to play. I cannot figure out how to get rid of the mame menu. On the computer, you just hit tab or escape and the menu goes away. I don't know what setting to change to map a key to make the menu go away. Any ideas ?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: VHSer]
#365332 - 04/21/17 10:46 PM

> I have a bit of a weird problem. I have MAME on my nes classic edition and love it.
> But two games are acting weird. Battlezone and Lunar Lander. The games start just
> fine. When I "add coins", again...it's fine. But then, when I hit start to begin a
> game, the black and white MAME menu pops up, making the games impossible to play. I
> cannot figure out how to get rid of the mame menu. On the computer, you just hit tab
> or escape and the menu goes away. I don't know what setting to change to map a key to
> make the menu go away. Any ideas ?

Huh, that's really funky. You're running an unsupported version of MAME, you say? On the NES Classic, which would most likely indicate that it's some old version of MAME which is unsupported? Really, I have no idea why you might be running into troubles. It's a mystery.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#365333 - 04/21/17 11:02 PM

LOL!!!

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#365334 - 04/21/17 11:08 PM Attachment: yo-dawg.jpg 22 KB (0 downloads)

> I have a bit of a weird problem. I have MAME on my nes classic edition and love it.
> But two games are acting weird. Battlezone and Lunar Lander. The games start just
> fine. When I "add coins", again...it's fine. But then, when I hit start to begin a
> game, the black and white MAME menu pops up, making the games impossible to play. I
> cannot figure out how to get rid of the mame menu. On the computer, you just hit tab
> or escape and the menu goes away. I don't know what setting to change to map a key to
> make the menu go away. Any ideas ?

Yo dawg, I hear you like MAME on your NES Classic. You can run NES with MAME and play NES games on your NES Classic dawg ya heard me whodi

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#365335 - 04/21/17 11:16 PM

> game, the black and white MAME menu pops up, making the games impossible to play.

This happens because the same button that's mapped to P1 Start is also mapped to bring up the UI. You probably did this yourself by accident.

Delete the .cfg files for Battlezone and Lunar Lander.

S

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#365336 - 04/21/17 11:19 PM

> LOL!!!

Cheers, I had hoped someone would get a laugh out of it.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Why would you put MAME on NES Classic? new [Re: VHSer]
#365337 - 04/22/17 12:23 AM

Use the newest version of MAME on the computer. Get better speed. On top of that you can use the BGFX effects as well.

No wonder why Nintendo quit making those NES Classic. (Joking on this part.) LOL

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#365352 - 04/22/17 02:55 PM

MAME on the NES Classic is almost certainly a version from 20 years ago that we don't support, because that thing has less CPU power than a $5 RasPi Zero.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: Sune]
#365358 - 04/22/17 07:14 PM

> > I have a bit of a weird problem. I have MAME on my nes classic edition and love it.
> > But two games are acting weird. Battlezone and Lunar Lander. The games start just
> > fine. When I "add coins", again...it's fine. But then, when I hit start to begin a
> > game, the black and white MAME menu pops up, making the games impossible to play.
>
> This happens because the same button that's mapped to P1 Start is also mapped to
> bring up the UI. You probably did this yourself by accident.
>
> Delete the .cfg files for Battlezone and Lunar Lander.
>
> S

Battlezone and Lunar Lander don't have cfg files. This is on the nes classic, I'm talking about...not a computer. And I didn't change the mapping. It's default.

VHSer
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: B2K24]
#365359 - 04/22/17 07:16 PM

> > I have a bit of a weird problem. I have MAME on my nes classic edition and love it.
> > But two games are acting weird. Battlezone and Lunar Lander. The games start just
> > fine. When I "add coins", again...it's fine. But then, when I hit start to begin a
> > game, the black and white MAME menu pops up, making the games impossible to play. I
> > cannot figure out how to get rid of the mame menu. On the computer, you just hit
> tab
> > or escape and the menu goes away. I don't know what setting to change to map a key
> to
> > make the menu go away. Any ideas ?
>
> Yo dawg, I hear you like MAME on your NES Classic. You can run NES with MAME and play
> NES games on your NES Classic dawg ya heard me whodi
does anyone with more than two brain cells care to give an actual, serious response ? Silly me for thinking I could get MAME help on a MAME forum....

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#365360 - 04/22/17 07:51 PM

> does anyone with more than two brain cells care to give an actual, serious response ?
> Silly me for thinking I could get MAME help on a MAME forum....

We've already helped you.

If you want a serious MAME experience then use appropriate hardware with MAME 0.184 otherwise you're on your own

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#365361 - 04/22/17 07:53 PM

> > > I have a bit of a weird problem. I have MAME on my nes classic edition and love
> it.
> > > But two games are acting weird. Battlezone and Lunar Lander. The games start just
> > > fine. When I "add coins", again...it's fine. But then, when I hit start to begin
> a
> > > game, the black and white MAME menu pops up, making the games impossible to play.
> I
> > > cannot figure out how to get rid of the mame menu. On the computer, you just hit
> > tab
> > > or escape and the menu goes away. I don't know what setting to change to map a
> key
> > to
> > > make the menu go away. Any ideas ?
> >
> > Yo dawg, I hear you like MAME on your NES Classic. You can run NES with MAME and
> play
> > NES games on your NES Classic dawg ya heard me whodi
> does anyone with more than two brain cells care to give an actual, serious response ?

you're not running something that anybody here would consider to be 'MAME'

the responses you've been given are correct, you're running an unsupported version of MAME that's about 20 years old that has been hacked to run on an unsupported platform. I'm not sure why you *expect* any level of support for it.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#365365 - 04/22/17 10:48 PM

> > Yo dawg, I hear you like MAME on your NES Classic. You can run NES with MAME and
> play
> > NES games on your NES Classic dawg ya heard me whodi
>

You're not using current MAME on a NES Classic, you're using ... man, I don't even know. Looks like you might be using an outdated MAME-based core through RetroArch? Then your tech support, if any, should be coming from RetroArch.

Generally speaking, the only platforms MAME developers (MAMEdev) will support you themselves on right now are:
a. Windows
b. MacOS
c. Linux (SDL)
since we publish releases (either binaries or source) for those platforms.

Android and Windows' UWP support exist in MAME's source tree but we don't offer releases or support for those yet.

In addition, generally speaking, the only versions of MAME MAMEdev will support you on is typically the current release (in this case, MAME 0.184). Give or take a few, but typically, that's it.

So find out your version number.

If you are having problems with an older version, we will often ask you to update to a newer version.

HOWEVER:
MAMEWorld is not the official MAME support forums, it's just a place where a lot of MAME fans and developers hang out, so the rules for support may be different here. So maybe someone who is not a MAME developer will offer support.

But in my experience, there's almost no one running MAME here on something other than the primary supported platforms.

- Stiletto

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#365372 - 04/23/17 03:22 AM

I've seen a number of responses, it's just that they are not helpful to a version of MAME based on a modified 0.3x core (usually 0.37b5 e.g. mame4droid or iMAME4all or similar), which is most likely what your NES Classic is running. There are probably less people on this forum who even remember MAME 0.3x than there are fingers on one hand.

Clearly one of the default buttons on the NES Classic is interfering with the menu inside MAME and there is a good chance the offending button on both the device and inside MAME itself can't be configured easily, it probably doesn't help that you may be the only person on here who has ever managed to put MAME on that device so it's all guesswork from everyone else.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#365375 - 04/23/17 04:16 AM

> Battlezone and Lunar Lander don't have cfg files. This is on the nes classic, I'm
> talking about...not a computer. And I didn't change the mapping. It's default.

Surely the default mapping does not assign P1 start to the same button that brings up the UI because that would be stupid. If that's really the issue here and you can't figure out how to fix it yourself (no cfg file to delete, no filesystem access) then the only other thing I can think of is to take it up with whoever put together the software you're using.

I can't believe I'm actually writing this but assuming you can navigate the UI when it appears then perhaps the sane thing to do would be to look for whatever is mapped to P1 start and something else at the same time and then use the controls at your disposal to remap them into something that makes sense.

S

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#365376 - 04/23/17 05:06 AM

MAME on the NES Classic is almost certainly a version from 20 years ago that we don't support, because that thing has less CPU power than a $5 RasPi Zero.

You are literally running a version of MAME that is older than some of the regulars on this forum. I'm not sure what kind of support you were hoping to get; the dirty secret of all this low-cost computing bullshit is that you get exactly what you pay for.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#365380 - 04/23/17 07:54 AM

> There are probably
> less people on this forum who even remember MAME 0.3x than there are fingers on one
> hand.

A good number of those having forgotten MAME 0.3x being current developers of MAME who were even around for the 0.3x days, LOL

- Stiletto

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: R. Belmont]
#365382 - 04/23/17 08:19 AM

> MAME on the NES Classic is almost certainly a version from 20 years ago that we don't
> support, because that thing has less CPU power than a $5 RasPi Zero.

I was about to say you could be exaggerating a bit too much, then I found out the Allegro software library is still active and in development. 0_o

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: Stiletto]
#365386 - 04/23/17 02:26 PM

> > There are probably
> > less people on this forum who even remember MAME 0.3x than there are fingers on one
> > hand.
>
> A good number of those having forgotten MAME 0.3x being current developers of MAME
> who were even around for the 0.3x days, LOL
>
> - Stiletto

I think 0.61 was out when I was bitten by the MAME bug.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#365387 - 04/23/17 05:28 PM

> > > There are probably
> > > less people on this forum who even remember MAME 0.3x than there are fingers on
> one
> > > hand.
> >
> > A good number of those having forgotten MAME 0.3x being current developers of MAME
> > who were even around for the 0.3x days, LOL
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> I think 0.61 was out when I was bitten by the MAME bug.

I know at least I was sniffing around the forums around MAME 0.35b1 and wasn't added to the team in some aspect until a little before MAME 0.37b8, though I technically didn't contribute any *code* until just a few years ago.

- Stiletto

smf
I've been here before
Reged: 01/16/15
Send PM

#365390 - 04/23/17 07:04 PM

> I know at least I was sniffing around the forums around MAME 0.35b1 and wasn't added

You missed the mame + roms on a floppy era & no zip file support.

The neogeo driver was an interesting time as rom distribution was sketchy. Downloading those huge files over a modem from a site on the other side of the world giving you 100 bytes per second as long you hit it with ping -t.

Edited by John Doe (04/23/17 07:05 PM)

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: smf]
#365392 - 04/23/17 08:25 PM

> > I know at least I was sniffing around the forums around MAME 0.35b1 and wasn't
> added
>
> You missed the mame + roms on a floppy era & no zip file support.
>
> The neogeo driver was an interesting time as rom distribution was sketchy.
> Downloading those huge files over a modem from a site on the other side of the world
> giving you 100 bytes per second as long you hit it with ping -t.

Hah, I *never* experienced downloading ROMs over 56k modem. At university, the university shared an OC-3 (or something like that) and had just joined "Internet2". At home, parents were early adopters of cable modem. I was blessed.

PS. change your username

- Stiletto

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#365393 - 04/23/17 08:52 PM

I discovered MAME in '98. I remember how hard it was to find ROMS because sites were constantly being shut down. So you had to get pretty clever in your searches to find anything. I discovered it because I wanted to find a arcade accurate version of Donkey Kong that I could play on my computer. Needless to say, I was blown away when I ran into MAME

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Get Rid Of MAME Menu new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#365408 - 04/24/17 06:39 PM

>I discovered MAME in '98.

Mine was spring 2000 (April or May...I don't recall), but I do remember starting with .36 final release.

>I remember how hard it was to find ROMS because sites were constantly being shut down.

I was fortunate to find JoseQ's EmuViews and download Carnival (Gremlin/Sega) and Frogs (Gremlin) roms within a couple seconds.

>I discovered it because I wanted to find a arcade accurate version of Donkey Kong that I could play on my computer.

I started with the Digital Eclipse commercial packages and enjoyed playing Marble Madness and other Atari games from years 1996 to 1998. Disappointed and wondered why no 1970s era black/white arcade games were supported in Digital Eclipse packaged products.

>Needless to say, I was blown away when I ran into MAME

Relived happy times once again (back in spring 2000) when playing Frogs for first time in over 20 years span.....just like I played Gremlin's Frogs cab for first time back in November 1978.....as a 13 year old that played hookey that Friday and didn't attend junior high school class because I was snow skiing at Mountain High ski resort. I remember walking up to the Frogs cab and playing the game while on way to get lunch at the snack bar location on soCal Mountain High ski resort. I was so hooked playing Frogs while friends were eating, I skipped eating lunch. When friends were done eating lunch, I was disappointed in not being able to play any more games of Gremlin's Frogs. I don't recall ever seeing another Frogs cab until about 1980 at Time Out arcade in Westminster, CA mall.

I played Frogs when I had chance to go to Time Out arcade. The cab was gone by summer 1980 and I never saw another Frogs cab in person and never played Frogs until 2000 when using MAME for first time.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#365409 - 04/24/17 06:55 PM

>and wasn't added to the team in some aspect until a little before MAME 0.37b8,

Have done darn well there over the years including helping me with the old Nintendo WG stuff back in 2002.

>though I technically didn't contribute any *code* until just a few years ago.

-
2017-04-18

Add skeleton driver for Shark (US Billiards Inc.) (1975).
US Billiards TTL Games
-

Props regarding the recent US Billiards file addition. I am not sure if US Billiards Video Pool is a cpu or non-cpu based game. The Video Pool manual doesn't have any pcb hardware info.

RdW
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/13/05
Send PM

Re: those were the days new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#365525 - 04/29/17 12:39 AM

> There are probably
> less people on this forum who even remember MAME 0.3x than there are fingers on one
> hand.

I can still remember Nicola in '97 asking the ppl not to hammer the homepage and download the mame files in hope for a new version while he was trying to ftp upload exactly these much awaited updates. LOL
has been always a pleasure to chat with him on the forum until he stopped posting.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: those were the days new [Re: RdW]
#365526 - 04/29/17 01:05 AM

> > There are probably
> > less people on this forum who even remember MAME 0.3x than there are fingers on one
> > hand.
>
> I can still remember Nicola in '97 asking the ppl not to hammer the homepage and
> download the mame files in hope for a new version while he was trying to ftp upload
> exactly these much awaited updates. LOL
> has been always a pleasure to chat with him on the forum until he stopped posting.

yeah, Nicola is a good guy, worked alongside him on something recently and his input was invaluable

In terms of passion for emulating things, figuring out how they worked and getting that into code by any means possible those were some good days, MAME was a real source of amazement every day with people involved who were uniquely talented considering the lack of material they had to work with and how even the hardware guys weren't on top of things so what was being provided was often incomplete and poorly documented at best.

It was also before crazy money started to become involved too, so a lot of things got dumped that maybe in later years would have ended up being hoarded and held for ransom, it's easy to forget just how rare some of the earlier supported stuff is because it's been emulated for so long now. At the time everybody just seemed to want to see exactly what was possible rather than consider how much money could be made from what they had.

Had the daunting nature of some of the tasks back then been fully considered MAME could have quite easily wound up going nowhere, I don't think anybody at the time realised that perfecting the emulation of some of the things that were looked at would take close to 20 years due because getting certain bits of data was basically impossible until now. In some senses you could say MAME also still suffers today because at the time things like waitstates probably didn't even cross the mind of the developers, but at the same time, not worrying about things like that too much allowed MAME to become what it is / was so you can probably say the right calls were made to allow the project to grow.

Sometimes it's hard to believe I've been doing this for 18 years, and following it for even longer!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2407