Pages: 1

Enverex
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/16/17
Loc: UK
Send PM

Mangled Shaders on MAME 0.185 (Linux)
#366085 - 05/16/17 07:48 PM

Basically any shader I set for bgfx_screen_chains, e.g. xbr-hybrid or hq4x, etc, all just display a garbled image. Ranging from slightly fuzzy text (or entire screen) to the entire screen just being coloured squares.

Here are a few examples of said shaders when loading up 1944 - http://imgur.com/a/Xu1w1

The same shaders work fine in RetroArch and PPSSPP so it shouldn't be hardware related. For reference, the GPU in use is a Nvidia GTX 1060 on driver 381.22.

Any ideas what's causing this?

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: Mangled Shaders on MAME 0.185 (Linux) new [Re: Enverex]
#366110 - 05/17/17 10:43 AM

One reason would be, that the shaders are NOT the same like in RetroArch and PPSSPP, because they are ported into a slightly different shader language, so that BGFX can use it. They still should not look like in your pictures.

Mamedev MooglyGuy did those ports, but i would not have hope, that these shaders will be fixed anytime soon.

Good news is, you have no hardware problem

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#366111 - 05/17/17 01:51 PM

> Basically any shader I set for bgfx_screen_chains, e.g. xbr-hybrid or hq4x, etc, all
> just display a garbled image. Ranging from slightly fuzzy text (or entire screen) to
> the entire screen just being coloured squares.
>
> Here are a few examples of said shaders when loading up 1944 -
> http://imgur.com/a/Xu1w1
>
> The same shaders work fine in RetroArch and PPSSPP so it shouldn't be hardware
> related. For reference, the GPU in use is a Nvidia GTX 1060 on driver 381.22.
>
> Any ideas what's causing this?

I wouldn't really pay much mind to what uman has to say, he's not the guy who wrote the code, and he's not even particularly technically inclined. In fact the shaders are direct ports of the RA shaders, and should be functionally identical. The only differences should largely be syntactical, as the stock RA shaders don't seem to compile correctly under WebGL, which has a pretty minimal subset of GLSL available.

I have a pretty good idea as to what might be causing the issue, though. I'll see if I can reproduce the behavior in Windows using BGFX and the OpenGL backend. If you're the guy who posted about this on Reddit, I believe I explained there that it's likely due to the half-texel offset between DirectX 9 and OpenGL. It might not be working correctly at the moment on the OpenGL backend, so I'll try to kick it into working.

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mangled Shaders on MAME 0.185 (Linux) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#366112 - 05/17/17 02:06 PM

Hey MooglyGuy, it was me on Reddit and I pinged you back on Twitter but not sure if you noticed. I'll repeat what I said there:

Hey, not a problem.

Arch Linux 64bit. Kernel 4.10.13. Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU. 381.22 Nvidia drivers.

Command line I'm using is simply "sdlmame (gamename)" and I'm setting the shader in mame.ini via "bgfx_screen_chains hq4x".

Here's what the shaders look like in MAME - http://imgur.com/a/Xu1w1 - you probably don't need the RetroArch ones for comparison as this isn't a case of them looks "just slightly off" haha.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366115 - 05/17/17 03:25 PM

> Hey MooglyGuy, it was me on Reddit and I pinged you back on Twitter but not sure if
> you noticed. I'll repeat what I said there:
>
> Hey, not a problem.
>
> Arch Linux 64bit. Kernel 4.10.13. Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU. 381.22 Nvidia drivers.
>
> Command line I'm using is simply "sdlmame (gamename)" and I'm setting the shader in
> mame.ini via "bgfx_screen_chains hq4x".
>
> Here's what the shaders look like in MAME - http://imgur.com/a/Xu1w1 - you probably
> don't need the RetroArch ones for comparison as this isn't a case of them looks "just
> slightly off" haha.

Sorry about that, I've been completely busy with personal stuff for the past couple of days, so I haven't had the chance to go through my Twitter backlog yet.

I confirm that your issue also exists on Windows: With the DirectX 11 BGFX backend with the HQ4x chain, btime looks fine (for sufficiently loose definitions of 'fine', since it's HQ4x we're talking about). With the OpenGL BGFX backend, same chain and game, I get the same sort of corruption you're seeing. With the DirectX 9 BGFX backend, same settings, I get no image at all.

Having dug into it, I don't see anything that leaps out at me as being overtly wrong when it comes to any sort of half-texel offset, so I'm going to have to dig into it a bit more deeply with either RenderDoc or NVidia NSight and figure out exactly where things are going wrong.

On a personal note, thank you for actually taking the time to put together such a well-written bug report. There are a lot of users who have probably tried it, found it non-functional, and in turn simply told other people that it doesn't work, and not to use it. Now that I have a bit clearer a picture of the issue, I can actually start to look into it. So, again, thanks!

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366117 - 05/17/17 04:32 PM

You're welcome, feel free to drop me an email (ben@xnode.org) if you need any more info or need me to test anything directly. This machine is both a dev box as well as being an arcade machine so it's all setup for debugging and such anyway.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366118 - 05/17/17 04:51 PM

> I wouldn't really pay much mind to what uman has to say, he's not the guy who wrote
> the code, and he's not even particularly technically inclined. In fact the shaders
> are direct ports of the RA shaders, and should be functionally identical. The only
> differences should largely be syntactical, as the stock RA shaders don't seem to
> compile correctly under WebGL, which has a pretty minimal subset of GLSL available.

And i wouldnīt pay much attention to what MooglyGuy wrote, because thatīs what he promised already multiple times long time ago. I even maked comparison shots for him, of every single shader in RA.

I wouldnīt wonder if his childish, insulting mind would come up with "Now you know the reason, why i wont port those shaders, because its all u-mans fault".

Basically he wrote the same as mine post, just with the add-on to insult me. If the shaders would be the same, you could just use the RA shaders, which you cant. I also wrote that those shaders are ports from RA, but hey...

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Mangled Shaders on MAME 0.185 (Linux) new [Re: uman]
#366122 - 05/17/17 06:14 PM

LOL, you're a stupid idiot. What Mooglyguy posted wasn't at all what you said. Re-read your post vs what he said. Stop being a childish bitch that's upset because he pointed out what you said was wrong. He wrote the code, so I think it's safe to say he knows more than your dumbass would about the subject. So just shut up. Most everything you post is just annoying anyway. And change that stupid Fallout avatar. It's like you're saying "Yeah! I'm an ugly dumbass, but I think I'm really cool!"

Edited by Envisaged0ne (05/17/17 06:47 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mangled Shaders on MAME 0.185 (Linux) new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#366124 - 05/17/17 07:07 PM

> LOL, you're a stupid idiot. What Mooglyguy posted wasn't at all what you said.
> Re-read your post vs what he said. Stop being a childish bitch that's upset because
> he pointed out what you said was wrong. He wrote the code, so I think it's safe to
> say he knows more than your dumbass would about the subject. So just shut up. Most
> everything you post is just annoying anyway. And change that stupid Fallout avatar.
> It's like you're saying "Yeah! I'm an ugly dumbass, but I think I'm really cool!"

uuuuuiiuiuiuuiuiii.... i am impressed.

yeah... what a post... congrats. just for your info: he for 100% sure didnīt wrote the code, he ported it. he would never write such useless shaders. you are even to dumb to understand the difference between porting and writing a code. who are you to force me to change my avatar... LULs.
you canīt even setup shaders in MAME, to get them working, but goes in full asslicking here without knowing the background. what a joke you are. just hilarious.

but hey, one point at least is true, he by far knows more than me, so be happy with that.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366125 - 05/17/17 08:24 PM

He didn't "wrote" the code? Can you s-p-e-a-k ENGLISH? But to say he knows more than you is an obvious observation. I'm sure you say that about a lot of people. Please don't try to call me dumb. I mean, compared to some, sure. But you aren't exactly in the right league to comment on my intelligence. Mooglyguy would have that right. At least where it comes to coding MAME is concerned

Edited by Envisaged0ne (05/17/17 08:25 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Mangled Shaders on MAME 0.185 (Linux) new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#366128 - 05/17/17 08:47 PM Attachment: 12790918_10153948942543905_6836099441113116448_n.jpg 48 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366129 - 05/17/17 09:06 PM

LOL! Ok, I'll give you that, that was pretty funny

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

People, please, settle down, there's enough moogle for everyone! new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#366130 - 05/17/17 10:04 PM

> LOL! Ok, I'll give you that, that was pretty funny

Two of my friends are hanging out with me in the living room here, and we all laughed ourselves silly at that image. It's absolutely perfect, and I'm saving it.

Look, uman, you're clearly bitter that I requested those screenshots and haven't done anything with them. Yeah, I don't blame you, it probably doesn't feel great. However, in time, they will be used once I've got my life back on track and actually have enough mental bandwidth to look into MAME for more than an hour or two every few weeks. I offered to look into this issue, specifically, for this user because it was a well-written bug report, and I happened to have a few hours to myself for the first time in weeks. And unless I get this issue ironed out in the span of this particular evening - the next 3 hours or so - it's unlikely I'll have time to look into it to completion for probably about a month and a half.

For all the attitude you accuse me of showing towards you, I think you're actively going out of your way to be not just discourteous, but to find offense that is not there. You are, by your own admission, not a technical person. Personally, I would love it if you were, it would be great to have another person able to look into the graphics-related code in MAME. It's certainly not a job for just one person who has life to deal with. But it is not a personal slight for someone who is well familiar with MAME's architecture to try to steer a user, who is politely submitting a bug report, away from a post from a user actively casting aspersions on the project.

Meanwhile, EnvisagedOne, can you maybe cool your jets a little? I'm hardly one to be talking sense in a thread, on MAMEWorld of all places, but you don't need to respond to uman's aggression with further aggression. We're now something like 7 replies deep of nothing but anger and recrimination being slung back and forth like pies in an episode of The Three Stooges.

Just for fun, do you guys know what I've spent the past year and a half doing, rather than actively contributing to MAME? Rather than actively porting shaders, rather than actively working on an ARM7 DRC or any of the other "big" things I want to do? Severe depression, partly because due to job loss, every waking hour was spent worried about finding a job, worried about how I was going to make ends meet, worrying if I would be able to keep a roof over my partner's head, worrying if I would wind up having to move back to the USA, with a garbage credit score, zero savings, no car, no family except a retired, aging mother who would be unable to afford to keep a roof over my head, and plenty of friends, but none of whom would be well-off enough to be able to help me while living in a location where I might be able to find work. If I were to wind up having to move back to the USA, I would end up dying on the streets, destitute. That is not hyperbole, that is cold fact, and it's a fact I've had staring me in the face for the past year and a half. So you might understand said recurring thoughts, and might understand why honestly, in the grand scheme of things, perhaps I haven't been in the right frame of mind to port over RetroArch shaders. In fact, the only real work I've been able to do, minor things like the Hazeltine video board and that one card-reader terminal, were done on the few days that I could even focus well enough to do anything for myself. The rest of the time, I've been pretty unhappy, and just trying to survive.

It's only now, two days ago, that I finally have a job offer on the table, and feel like there might be a little glimmer of hope for me left yet. However, yesterday all of that stress came back into my life, because the immigration board has finally called me back and are starting to process my residence application, and they want to talk to him and I two weeks from now. This is pretty much the deciding factor in where my life goes. Sure, there's an appeals process if they get denied, and I keep trying to focus on the hard facts, since I know there are a number of factors working in my favor here. But even with all that, nothing is ever a sure thing, and I keep feeling an immense tightness in my chest whenever I think about it. And probably will for the next two weeks, until the meeting.

Why am I saying all this now? Why am I all unloading this now? Because every one of you probably has some pretty negative things going on in your lives right now, too. If you don't, great! Please spare some human empathy for those of us who do. I'll be the first to admit that I've hardly been a paragon of diplomacy for the team over the past 15 years, or on emulation forums even before that, but I'm actively trying to get better. And maybe, just maybe, if we can step back and try to be a little nicer to each other, and ease back a bit on assuming ill intent, then perhaps some user, one who's story we don't know, might experience just a little more kindness in his or her life, which could push them away from doing something potentially stupid.

Food for thought.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366136 - 05/17/17 11:36 PM

> You're welcome, feel free to drop me an email (ben@xnode.org) if you need any more
> info or need me to test anything directly. This machine is both a dev box as well as
> being an arcade machine so it's all setup for debugging and such anyway.

I believe I have found the issue, or at least pinpointed how and why the shaders are diverging on OpenGL versus DirectX 11. I should have a fix for the HQx issues shortly, and I'll be doing a presumptive fix to other shaders by applying the same change to the rest of the current shader library. I'll let you know when it goes in, do let me know if there are any other shaders that are outlandishly wrong.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366137 - 05/18/17 12:07 AM

> I believe I have found the issue, or at least pinpointed how and why the shaders are
> diverging on OpenGL versus DirectX 11. I should have a fix for the HQx issues
> shortly, and I'll be doing a presumptive fix to other shaders by applying the same
> change to the rest of the current shader library. I'll let you know when it goes in,
> do let me know if there are any other shaders that are outlandishly wrong.

It appears I've found the issue. I've fixed the HQx shaders, but it didn't completely fix the one other shader I tried, so I'm digging a bit deeper.

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366139 - 05/18/17 01:02 AM

That's great news, thanks. And good luck on the job front.

I personally don't normally use HQX filters, I just took pictures of several different ones to show the issue occurred across multiple shaders, rather than one specific family. Typically I use the xBR filters (normally xbr-mlv4-multipass).

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366140 - 05/18/17 01:05 AM

> That's great news, thanks. And good luck on the job front.
>
> I personally don't normally use HQX filters, I just took pictures of several
> different ones to show the issue occurred across multiple shaders, rather than one
> specific family. Typically I use the xBR filters (normally xbr-mlv4-multipass).

That's unfortunate, the xbr ones are the ones that are still being a bit finicky. In any case, I've committed a fix for the HQx filters. If you're able to sync up with our repository, I'd be interested in hearing if they're now working alright for you on Linux.

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366148 - 05/18/17 02:12 PM

That's definitely fixed HQ(X)X shaders. But as you mentioned the xBR ones are still broken. Here's those two as per current GIT - http://imgur.com/a/oh0TZ

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366160 - 05/18/17 08:19 PM

> That's definitely fixed HQ(X)X shaders. But as you mentioned the xBR ones are still
> broken. Here's those two as per current GIT - http://imgur.com/a/oh0TZ

Those ones are, unfortunately, multi-pass shaders, which have multiple individual effects that are chained together. Could you show me what xbr-lv3 looks like on your system with btime, no artwork? And, if possible, what it looks like through RA, working, with the same effect applied? The problem I'm having is that in stock MAME, xbr-lv3 doesn't seem to even do much, if anything. I'm trying to figure out where DirectX 11 might be going wrong, too.

Thanks in advance!

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366162 - 05/18/17 10:31 PM

Here you go, it displays mostly OK, but is... fuzzy. Included the RetroArch picture with the same shader for reference - http://imgur.com/a/capgO

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366170 - 05/19/17 10:36 AM

> Here you go, it displays mostly OK, but is... fuzzy. Included the RetroArch picture
> with the same shader for reference - http://imgur.com/a/capgO

Thanks! I probably won't get back to this today, but I'll try to set aside some time over the weekend. Though I'll probably be primarily occupied with hammering out more of my remaining contract work over the weekend as well. Anyway, I'll do my best to make time for it.

Edit: I've got xbr-lv3 fixed, I'm getting xbr-lv3-noblend fixed, then I'll do the other levels of xbr. Now that I know where the common error was in this shaders, it should be pretty straightforward for me to fix.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366181 - 05/19/17 08:11 PM

> Here you go, it displays mostly OK, but is... fuzzy. Included the RetroArch picture
> with the same shader for reference - http://imgur.com/a/capgO

Thank you, I've got xbr-lv3 and xbr-lv3-noblend fixed locally. Can you take me a few screenshots of btime, including the initial hi-score screen, using xbr-lv2, including standard xbr-lv2 on RA?

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366182 - 05/19/17 08:25 PM

Here you go - http://imgur.com/a/FAFBb

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366202 - 05/20/17 02:51 PM

> Here you go - http://imgur.com/a/FAFBb

Got xbr-lv2, xbr-lv2-fast, and xbr-lv2-noblend sorted. Now I'm having trouble with xbr-lv2-3d. I can't for the life of me get it showing anything sensible either with DX11 or OpenGL, so I'm curious to know what the Burger Time screenshots look like with the shader in RetroArch. Can you hook a brotha up? Thanks!

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366204 - 05/20/17 03:59 PM

Doesn't appear to do anything on RetroArch from what I can tell. AFAIK what it should do is the same as xbr-lv2 but with a 3D filter, but I guess it doesn't work.

If I could make a request, could you do xbr-mlv4-multipass next, if you haven't already as that's the one I actually intend to use.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366205 - 05/20/17 04:34 PM

> If I could make a request, could you do xbr-mlv4-multipass next, if you haven't
> already as that's the one I actually intend to use.

I've temporarily pitched in the towel on xbr-lv2-3d, so I've moved on to xbr-lv3-multipass. Once xbr-lv3-multipass is working, I'll do xbr-mlv4-multipass. Sorry this is taking so long, but again I'm trying to balance it with the rest of life. xbr-lv3-multipass is a particular pain because I'm not sure what each indivudal pass should look like. So I'm more or less just blindly debugging it.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366215 - 05/21/17 11:51 AM

> Doesn't appear to do anything on RetroArch from what I can tell. AFAIK what it should
> do is the same as xbr-lv2 but with a 3D filter, but I guess it doesn't work.
>
> If I could make a request, could you do xbr-mlv4-multipass next, if you haven't
> already as that's the one I actually intend to use.

I've almost got xbr-lv3-multipass done, at which point I could move on to xbr-mlv4-multipass, but I'd like to get xbr-lv3-multipass ironed out first.

It looks mostly correct for me, but it's, well, "spiky". I've posted a gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/TjAdE

Can you get me screenshots of what it should look like?

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366216 - 05/21/17 12:00 PM

Here you go. Basically as "not quite as smooth" version of the better shaders - http://imgur.com/a/yEBR4

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366694 - 06/10/17 04:20 PM

Hey MooglyGuy, did you get a chance to finish xbr-mlv4-multipass in the end?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366698 - 06/10/17 07:39 PM

> Hey MooglyGuy, did you get a chance to finish xbr-mlv4-multipass in the end?

No. In the past two weeks I've had to temporarily leave Sweden and stay for an indefinite period of time on a Norwegian friend's couch, so that the Swedish immigration board can actually process my residence application (as I need to be out of the country for them to do that). I apologize that getting some shaders in MAME functioning correctly hasn't managed to make it onto my list of life priorities.

Enverex
MAME Fan
Send PM

#366699 - 06/10/17 08:33 PM

Well that's certainly an interesting turn of events. Good luck!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5111