Pages: 1

andreol263
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/27/17
Send PM

Namco System 22 running slow
#366361 - 05/27/17 12:39 AM

Well, my PC is on the signature:
Games like: Ace Driver, Ridge Racer, AquaJet, Air Combat 22 run SLOW(50-60FPS) which kills the enjoyment.
Is my CPU too slow for this?

PC: Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR4, RTX 2070 SUPER

TServo2049
Lurker
Reged: 11/24/03
Send PM

Re: Namco System 22 running slow new [Re: andreol263]
#366362 - 05/27/17 01:11 AM

50-60FPS is slow? I assumed 60FPS would be full speed for these games. Did you mean they're running at 50-60% speed?

andreol263
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Namco System 22 running slow new [Re: TServo2049]
#366363 - 05/27/17 01:20 AM

Nope, it is 50fps to 60fps, sometimes it dips even lower, and that is horrible because the sound stutters and the gameplay slowdown a LOT, and my CPU stays at 50-75% MAX, why my fourth core isn't being used?

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#366364 - 05/27/17 01:35 AM

Do you still have the ticket when you bought mame?

If yes, scan it and they'll return you the money

Out of jokes, Pay attention to this message the next time you load some of that games => "The video emulation isn't 100% accurate"

RETRODANUART.COM

andreol263
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Namco System 22 running slow new [Re: Sthiryu]
#366365 - 05/27/17 01:40 AM

It really influences in performance? when i see this message i think of some graphical glitches, but performance issues?

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

lol [nt] new [Re: andreol263]
#366366 - 05/27/17 01:45 AM

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#366368 - 05/27/17 02:59 AM

Sure. Incomplete or inaccurate emulation can have various impacts on how a game plays (slowdowns, graphical issues, sound issues). Anything really.

I just tried Aqua Jet and have the same exact slowdowns. My PC is a 3.8 Ghz CPU. It's quite possible that the driver is that demanding and a higher end PC is required to get those games to reach 100% FPS.

Also, keep in mind, a general rule of thumb on this board is not to report problems with games that have driver issues. You can certainly ask questions but have an asbestos suit on standby.

andreol263
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Namco System 22 running slow new [Re: Jason]
#366369 - 05/27/17 03:39 AM

Which CPU you have? And thank you for the info
All System 22, System Super 22 and Aleck64 games have slowdown issues on my system, the limit for fullspeed right now is System 21 games.

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

#366370 - 05/27/17 03:56 AM

Actually 3.8 may be misleading. I have an Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4, turbo to 3.8 Couldn't tell you anything else about it. Bought the PC with this CPU in it. The "turbo" part is suspect as I don't put much faith into the "turbo" piece doing much, if anything, to help MAME performance. Maybe I should have just said a 3.4, sorry.

Most of the games that I play in MAME already run 100%. Occasionally I'll try a more advanced game just to see the performance. Then I see 70%, 50% and sometimes even 5% and I run back the other way.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#366371 - 05/27/17 04:52 AM

I'm guessing your system is just not powerful enough to run them full speed. I just played Ridge Racer 1 & 2 at 100% speed no problem.

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#366373 - 05/27/17 02:19 PM

> It really influences in performance? when i see this message i think of some
> graphical glitches, but performance issues?

You're absolutely right, actually. There are known graphical issues in a bunch of Namco System 22 games. The specifically known graphical issues are documented here in the source code: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/video/namcos22.cpp

It's not terribly user-friendly to have those issues only listed in some source file that only a developer would see, but the amount of effort that it would take to provide a comprehensive list of graphical issues on a per-driver basis would be massive, and it would stand a good chance of being wrong or outdated pretty quickly.

The people taking the piss out of you aren't MAME devs themselves, so please take what they say with a grain of salt. The reality is that Namco System 22 is actually a pretty beefy driver. I'm glancing at the source code here, and in addition to a 25MHz 68EC020, it's got two TMS32025 DSPs running at 49MHz apiece, and then finally a microcontroller at about 16MHz for I/O.

Speaking for myself, I've got a pretty capable machine myself - an i7-5930K at 3.5GHz - and I have trouble running PC drivers in MAME, and in terms of emulated processors we're just talking about a 33MHz 486. So I could totally believe that at times when all of the emulated CPUs are running flat-out, even a pretty modern system like yours or mine might not be able to handle it.

That's an interesting observation that your CPU load is only peaking at 50-75%, though. On one hand that could be due to diminishing returns on multithreading: All the CPUs are run on one thread, because they have to be. The technical explanation is kind of lengthy so I won't get into it, but I'll happily go into details if you'd like. The only thing that gets threaded off is the software rasterization of the polygons themselves, and there's only so much that that can do when you're talking about a combined 150-ish MHz being slung around. Just to be on the safe side, try running with -numprocessors 4, and playing around with that value, and see if your performance improves, or if that number changes.

Other than that, it's pretty safe to say that System 22 is just plain a demanding driver. The one (AFAIK) other emulator from back in the day, Viva Nonno, pretty much just shunts around all of the graphics DSPs and tries to implement equivalent functionality using bespoke code, something which isn't really applicable to a project that tries to be accurate when possible. Sorry that the answer isn't a more positive one, but I hope that this at least clarifies the situation a bit better for you.

andreol263
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Namco System 22 running slow new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#366376 - 05/27/17 02:58 PM

Excellent explanation, thank you.
I've heard that these demanding drivers only uses 3 cores/threads from the CPU, why don't split the load with the fourth? it would really help mid-level CPU like mine.
And your CPU is a freakin monster really, not only has 2 more cores but has 100 points more than mine on SingleThreadRating.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#366377 - 05/27/17 03:44 PM

> Excellent explanation, thank you.
> I've heard that these demanding drivers only uses 3 cores/threads from the CPU, why
> don't split the load with the fourth? it would really help mid-level CPU like mine.
> And your CPU is a freakin monster really, not only has 2 more cores but has 100
> points more than mine on SingleThreadRating.

Happy to help. MAMEWorld has traditionally not been particularly great in terms of offering helpful responses from actual devs, being a technically unofficial forum, so I'm hoping to gradually turn that tide.

Whereabouts did you hear that only 3 cores are used? I'm pretty sure that that's not the case.

There's a fairly limited amount of multithreading that can be applied to emulation: The majority of slow systems in MAME are slow because they have a single beefy CPU and can't be split up onto multiple cores. Systems like Namco System 22, with multiple somewhat-fast CPUs would also be difficult to break across multiple cores - these sorts of systems tended to have almost minimal latency when communicating between CPUs, and the cost of synchronizing the threads would most likely wipe out any gains you'd have by offloading the CPU emulation to other cores.

One of the places where MAME does make use of multithreading, however, is with the "poly.h" system - essentially a threaded work-unit system where individual scanlines of a given polygon are shuffled off to additional cores via "buckets" of scanlines for a given thread to process. In this case, MAME can and does use as many cores as you give it, but there's an aspect of diminishing returns. Most games have many small polygons, and the number of polygons spanning a large amount of screen real estate are minimal. So, any given polygon could very likely wind up only being able to distributed onto, say, 3 cores, if the polygon is 24 pixels in height or less, and a bucketing factor of 8 scanlines. The actual numbers might be different from this, but it helps to illustrate the problem.

Polygons must also be drawn in-order, as otherwise games which relied on drawing polygons over other polygons might wind up with them sorting backwards on-screen. So, you can't just let the unoccupied cores start grinding through "future" jobs if those jobs would have conflicting Y ranges. Since a lot of games tend to draw models in the form of triangle fans, triangle strips, and other things, where sequential polygons tend to have high locality in screen-space, it ends up meaning that the code can't really get too far ahead. Not only that, but any time the rendering state changes, unless that state is mirrored to each work unit as the N64 driver currently does, you have the whole temporal issue of a future polygon potentially changing the common renderer state out from under any other threads that are currently processing a triangle.

One potential solution for this will be to treat polygons - and, indeed screens in general - as an array of horizontal spans, rather than (in the case of screens) a given 2D bitmap, so looking to the future there's the potential to be able to spawn off workloads on the GPU, which could make things faster, and allow higher amounts of parallelism. There's still the very real fact that in-order polygon commands need to be processed in-order, so the key will be to minimize the per-span overhead. However, that's something that's probably going to take literally years to implement, so it's all theory at this point.

Suffice it to say that MAME will attempt to use as many cores as you tell it to use, but the number of cases where parallelism actually helps the emulation is minimal, and in the case of 3D drivers there's still the aspect of diminishing returns to contend with, performance-wise.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#366379 - 05/27/17 08:30 PM

> Whereabouts did you hear that only 3 cores are used? I'm pretty sure that that's not
> the case.

That's MAMEdev's official line. Using more than 3 cores/threads for the polygon renderer actually starts slowing down again. Aaron had some vague ideas why, but we really need someone with a license for a parallelism debugger to figure out what's going on. (I think the really high-end pro versions of VTune can do that).

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Namco System 22 running slow new [Re: R. Belmont]
#366382 - 05/27/17 09:07 PM

> > Whereabouts did you hear that only 3 cores are used? I'm pretty sure that that's
> not
> > the case.
>
> That's MAMEdev's official line. Using more than 3 cores/threads for the polygon
> renderer actually starts slowing down again. Aaron had some vague ideas why, but we
> really need someone with a license for a parallelism debugger to figure out what's
> going on. (I think the really high-end pro versions of VTune can do that).

Well good, I actually own that sort of VTune, as far as I'm aware I went in for the whole "Parallel Studio" edition, which it's now called. How do I use it to find out the relevant info?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#366454 - 05/31/17 05:31 PM

> Well good, I actually own that sort of VTune, as far as I'm aware I went in for the
> whole "Parallel Studio" edition, which it's now called. How do I use it to find out
> the relevant info?

That I don't know; presumably there's documentation for it?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3871