#367397 - 07/01/17 05:08 PM

Undumped Wizard of Wor prototype:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152604980239

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: Worluk]
#367398 - 07/01/17 05:19 PM

We know about it already. Also know the owner paid 200 bucks for it on Craig's List and we're not paying a fucking ransom.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: Smitdogg]
#367400 - 07/01/17 06:00 PM

> We know about it already. Also know the owner paid 200 bucks for it on Craig's List
> and we're not paying a fucking ransom.

yeah, this is taking the piss

people have generously donated dumps of the roms for much rarer things than this, the fact the seller specifically mentions MAME means they simply want to extort money out of us for it. Not happening.

people like this (picking up cheap, trying to sell on for stupid money) are exactly why some things are just going to be lost to history.

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: Haze]
#367407 - 07/01/17 08:19 PM

You know what would be awesome? If another set of the same ROMs turns up and is donated to MAME, thus making this guy's game worth jack!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#367409 - 07/01/17 08:35 PM

>You know what would be awesome? If another set of the same ROMs turns up and is donated to
>MAME, thus making this guy's game worth jack!

That actually did happen several years earlier with some revision version of Williams Stargate or maybe it was Defender. Someone that posted here on the forums had a supposed color label not yet supported/preserved in MAME. Thinking that this unsupported Williams pcb must be worth lots of money was wanting to sell pcb in the 4 figure dollar range. Someone then sent in the same label color romset of the Williams game and it was added to MAME within a short timeframe.

It might have been Andy W. (not certain) that sent in the romset to deny the moneygrab schemer of that unsupported Williams pcb... :-)

I thought the thread (actually a couple of them iirc) was still here on MW forums, but the various threads regarding that Williams pcb may have already scrolled off into history at this point. This was probably 5 or 6 years ago when this happened.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: gregf]
#367410 - 07/01/17 08:47 PM

Anyone putting extra value on any board because it's undumped and therefore can be used to "extort money from mame people" are flat out sick people with a diseased brain and need to see a doctor. Preferably one from the 19th century bent on lobotomies.

I think half the people out there overcharging for undumped stuff are so stupid that they literally think everything dumped in mame is less rare than whatever undumped junk they have and the other half just see dollar signs and are so greedy the thought of giving something back to mame is not a serious thought.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#367411 - 07/01/17 08:49 PM

>> We know about it already. Also know the owner paid 200 bucks for it on Craig's List
>> and we're not paying a fucking ransom.

>people have generously donated dumps of the roms for much rarer things than this, the fact
>the seller specifically mentions MAME means they simply want to extort money out of us for
>it. Not happening.

Yep. Not worth it unless Safestuff wants to get the cab and add it for his collection and take it along with MarbleMan cab to display at CA Extreme shows.

>people like this (picking up cheap, trying to sell on for stupid money) are exactly why
>some things are just going to be lost to history.

Yep. Goes true for [name any item] that eventually gets lost and is gone from history where future generations will miss out.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#367414 - 07/01/17 09:15 PM

>Anyone putting extra value on any board because it's undumped and therefore can be used to
>"extort money from mame people" are flat out sick people with a diseased brain and need to
>see a doctor. Preferably one from the 19th century bent on lobotomies.

Heh. In a way, I believe the thinking is on libertarian spectrum where the thinking goes along with "all about only me and how much money I can get" thinking.

I knew someone that thought this way. The guy knew about the emulation scene a couple years before I did back in 2000. He wasn't a retrogamer fan and wasn't really into computers or Internet either, but somehow knew about emulation....probably from some gaming magazine. He thought everyone on the planet doing any preservation whether it be films, music, literature etc. where it meant willing to share rather the extort money were dumb folks that should be exterminated from the planet.

I stopped hanging out with him after hearing that insane opinion of his. He might have been a John Birch society member back in the 50s/60's era when that was popular then.

>I think half the people out there overcharging for undumped stuff are so stupid that they
>literally think everything dumped in mame is less rare than whatever undumped junk they
>have and the other half just see dollar signs and are so greedy the thought of giving
>something back to mame is not a serious thought.

I recall the time when Dave France was trying to sell a couple of his somewhat rare 1970s era cabs and no bidders for them when they were listed, but the stack of Oprah magazines that he had also listed had attracted multiple bids. LOL

The heck with somewhat rare high quality condition working arcade games when it is all about Oprah and her magazines. It is all about Oprah.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: gregf]
#367415 - 07/01/17 09:23 PM

I didn't know you used to hang out with Rush Limbaugh. I never knew that about you.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#367417 - 07/01/17 09:31 PM

>I didn't know you used to hang out with Rush Limbaugh. I never knew that about you.

Ha. No way. Not enough room space to move around if stuck in some room with that oxycontin addict.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#367426 - 07/01/17 10:57 PM

> Undumped Wizard of Wor prototype:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/152604980239

He want US $6,000.00 for it !
WoW !!! That's exactly 30 months salary in my town. WoW !

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: CTOJAH]
#367434 - 07/02/17 04:10 AM

LOL!!!

Not sure if there are many WOW fans out there but even back in the day I always thought it was a sub-par game. 6k for an even less polished version? That dude is high on his sticker adhesive or something.

BTW, anyone else think Worluk is probably the seller?

There is no law in the arena

Worluk
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/01/17
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#367437 - 07/02/17 05:03 AM

> BTW, anyone else think Worluk is probably the seller?

I have no clue as to the identity of the seller, and am not associated with him in any way.

I would say that the piece has collectible value, completely apart from whether the ROM's are dumped or not. While it would be of interest to me, I wouldn't pay $6k for it, either. My fear is that someone only interested in the history and not in getting the ROM's documented will wind up with it, and that would be unfortunate.

I don't know much about the dumping process. Suppose I was to go to the seller and say "I will give you x dollars if you would postpone the sale long enough to get the ROM's dumped and allow it to be done". How long would it take, and is there any realistic danger to the board(s)? Just thinking outside the box here.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#367438 - 07/02/17 05:07 AM

About 15 minutes to do the dump. The only dangers are in the post office/courier not handling the box with care.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#367454 - 07/02/17 07:01 AM

Not even, I am sure there is someone capable close enough that they would be willing to do it without shipping!

There is no law in the arena

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#367455 - 07/02/17 07:07 AM

There's a youtube video where some guy is given the ok to film the cab seemingly in the agreement that he doesn't reveal the owner's identity. I'm guessing he has his ebay set up where payments and boxes ship out under a company name and PO Box but who knows I guess. But I don't think they will be having a rando with ghostbuster equipment ring their doorbell for a house call.

Phil Bennett
L'Emuchat
Reged: 04/20/04
Send PM

#367456 - 07/02/17 07:31 AM

> Undumped Wizard of Wor prototype:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/152604980239

"These prototype ROMS are the originals and I have not made them available for Mame or anyone else. These were stuck on the PCB in September 1980 and have not been removed"

That's certainly nothing to brag about. I hope its new owner better understands the concept of EPROM data retention (assuming it actually sells).

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: Phil Bennett]
#367458 - 07/02/17 10:03 AM

What are the odds those will last beyond 40 years?

If I could physically touch that cab being the owner, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that those roms aren't properly backed up at this point.

Trying to cheese a few grand over losing something forever seems pretty stupid to me.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#367464 - 07/02/17 12:01 PM

> LOL!!!
>
> Not sure if there are many WOW fans out there but even back in the day I always
> thought it was a sub-par game...

Back in the eighties, WoW was a legend already... ...but, BUT we played it on our beloved C64 ! Luckily the game was ported almost perfectly - Commodore port was 1:1 to arcade game and that was NOT a common thing those days.(arcade ports were poorly programed on C64/Spectrum/Amstrad...)
So Yes, there are many fans of Wizard of Wor, at least in Ex Yu.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#367467 - 07/02/17 01:44 PM

> yeah, this is taking the piss
>
> people have generously donated dumps of the roms for much rarer things than this, the
> fact the seller specifically mentions MAME means they simply want to extort money out
> of us for it. Not happening.
>
> people like this (picking up cheap, trying to sell on for stupid money) are exactly
> why some things are just going to be lost to history.

Seriously. I chipped in $3000 towards Monkey Magic because it was being sold on a Japanese auction site without any sort of pretense about it being in MAME or whatever, the seller was just looking to offload the board. But advertising a cabinet for six grand, after paying $200 for it, and loudly proclaiming that it's "NOT IN MAME"? lol fuck you dude

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#367470 - 07/02/17 03:27 PM

> > yeah, this is taking the piss
> >
> > people have generously donated dumps of the roms for much rarer things than this,
> the
> > fact the seller specifically mentions MAME means they simply want to extort money
> out
> > of us for it. Not happening.
> >
> > people like this (picking up cheap, trying to sell on for stupid money) are exactly
> > why some things are just going to be lost to history.
>
> Seriously. I chipped in $3000 towards Monkey Magic because it was being sold on a
> Japanese auction site without any sort of pretense about it being in MAME or
> whatever, the seller was just looking to offload the board. But advertising a cabinet
> for six grand, after paying $200 for it, and loudly proclaiming that it's "NOT IN
> MAME"? lol fuck you dude

yeah.

I don't think people realise MAME isn't a commercial venture, we rely for the most part on good fortune, people turning their good fortune into our good fortune, and the generosity of others, see for example what just happened with DECO Explorer; Brian got lucky, paid next to nothing for something that would, if properly labelled, have fetched a lot more. Admittedly he didn't know that until I got it working, but even if he had, he wouldn't have tried holding it for ransom and as a result of some good fortune it's now safe for generations to come.

When somebody instead decides to be a selfish prick, despite having good fortune themselves, and uses the MAME name to try and get huge amounts of cash out of people the only thing they do is harm everybody and put at risk these very items.

As phil said, bragging about the roms being untouched is just dumb, those things won't last forever, backups are *essential* but I guess that's just the mentality of the seller.

No, these people don't owe us anything, but there's a point where if you do encounter something like this, especially if you got it cheap in the first place, where you have some level of personal responsibility to ensure it's safe for future generations rather than potentially lost forever.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#367472 - 07/02/17 05:21 PM

Well the seller has certainly generated some interest what with 30 watchers and 1 offer so he'll make something on it,
as for when the dust settles how much who knows.?? but i seriously doubt it will be anything near the 6k he wants.

I wonder if he's actually read this thread..?? dunno but hopefully it wont help to promote his listing.

Arcade Addict

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Invisible Monsters new [Re: gamez fan]
#367473 - 07/02/17 06:51 PM

It's marked as sold now but there's no telling how much for. When you put up a buy it now with best offer option, it ends up saying it sold for the asking price no matter what it actually sold for, which is kind of annoying. But anyway, hopefully the next owner will dump it.

Worluk
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/01/17
Send PM

#367482 - 07/02/17 09:47 PM

> there's no telling how much for.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&rmvSB=true

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#367483 - 07/02/17 10:03 PM

> > there's no telling how much for.
>
> http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&rmvSB=true

Hmm well i'll eat my words then!! seems he more or less got the 6k afterall.

Arcade Addict

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3853