MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Buying new PC, help me choose processor & GPU
#374426 - 03/06/18 08:01 PM

My old PC crashed so I'm finally going to buy a new one. I'll be using it for basic everyday computing as well as playing MAME, which is the only type of gaming I partake in. I only have mediocre knowledge of computers and I don't know how to build them myself.

I'm leaning towards buying the Dell XPS 8930.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desk...op/dxcwvmax004h

I have a couple questions:

1) Should I upgrade the processor i7-8700 to the i7-8700K? It's a $100 extra. Will more games in MAME run at full speed with the upgrade?

2) Should I upgrade the video card? If so, to which of the 8 video cards they have listed should I choose? Will more games in MAME run at full speed with the upgrade?

(I'm trying to keep cost at a minimum of course. But at the same time I want a good PC that will last for many years.)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Buying new PC, help me choose processor & GPU new [Re: Big Karnak]
#374428 - 03/07/18 12:25 AM

Unless you're planning to overclock the CPU, I don't see the point in spending extra for the "K" CPU. I'm not even sure that the Dell motherboard allows overclocking.

I think the Nvidia 1050Ti is a great card for casual gaming. I honestly wouldn't spend extra on any of the upgrades.

Instead of the 1TB hard drive, I'd get a SSD as the primary drive instead.
You can always pick up a large 1/2/3TB hard drive and install it yourself or you can pay DELL for one of the options with a SSD primary + HDD secondary.

Having a SSD as the primary drive makes the computer boot really fast. Use the large secondary HDD as storage for data, downloads, ROMs, etc...

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Buying new PC, help me choose processor & GPU new [Re: krick]
#374429 - 03/07/18 03:08 AM

Okay, so under the Dual Drives section, I'll select this upgrade:

256GB PCIe x4 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD for +$100.

What about the Wireless internet network, should I upgrade to the Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 for +$25?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#374430 - 03/07/18 04:23 AM

I'd probably pass on the WiFi upgrade. Seems kind of gimmicky. You probably wouldn't see or notice any difference.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#377125 - 06/23/18 02:23 AM

I would recommend building your own pc instead.

It's pretty easy to assemble a pc these days… it's like playing LEGO.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1028