View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jhonny_d
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/29/17
Send PM

Need info on how to submit software to mamedev
#375465 - 04/07/18 03:53 PM

Hello, there are some win95 cdroms i would like to add to the pc ibm software list. What’s the procedure?

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Need info on how to submit software to mamedev new [Re: jhonny_d]
#375466 - 04/07/18 04:24 PM

I too have some very old PC games. Had more but I lost them.
"Phantasmagoria" ("Sierra", 7 CDs, DOS/Win95)
"Phantasmagoria 2" ("Sierra", 5 CDs, Win95/98)
"Realms of The Haunting" ("Interplay", 4 CDs, DOS)
"Time Commando" ("Activision", 1 CD, DOS)
"Star Wars: Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire" ("Lucas Arts", 2 CDs, DOS)

All original discs. But I'm not sure if "Rebel Assault II" is in English or Brazilian language.

I wonder what software list these games could be added to... if they are useful to MAME, that is.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: ciroconsentino@gmail.com

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Need info on how to submit software to mamedev new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#375467 - 04/07/18 04:43 PM

ibm5170_cdrom.xml is the list where these things tend to be added

if they're not copy protected etc. and don't have audio tracks they should be pretty easy to dump

copy protections and audio tracks make things more difficult

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Need info on how to submit software to mamedev new [Re: Haze]
#375469 - 04/07/18 05:23 PM

I think they do not have copy protection in the CDs. I have "UltraISO" to create .iso and .cue files. Old DOS games were not copy protected.

I think "Time Commando" have CD audio tracks but UltraISO can create .iso file with all tracks easily. If you install this game on HDD and use a cr@cked .exe, not having the CD inserted, the music doesn't play but game works.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#375470 - 04/07/18 05:25 PM

There's a submit email on the mamedev site. You can also upload the software to mega.co.nz and send me a private message here with the links and info and credits and I can forward that to the DU where there are several devs and people who will look into adding them.

Haze
Send PM

#375471 - 04/07/18 05:49 PM

> I think they do not have copy protection in the CDs. I have "UltraISO" to create .iso
> and .cue files. Old DOS games were not copy protected.
>
> I think "Time Commando" have CD audio tracks but UltraISO can create .iso file with
> all tracks easily. If you install this game on HDD and use a cr@cked .exe, not having
> the CD inserted, the music doesn't play but game works.

right, but as soon as you enter the territory of audio tracks you have to ensure that reads are repeatable, and also take into consideration audio offsets of drives etc. if you want a proper dump.

just because you can read a disc doesn't mean you're getting a proper repeatable read of it with all the data intact, it's important that you can get the exact same file by reading the disc multiple times.

at the very least you have to be able to get an identical dump, including the audio tracks, multiple times, but even then without the correct offset etc. you'll get different reads of the same disc on different drives, so it's still not perfect.

dumping CDs is actually quite a complex subject, which is why you have all these dumping groups fighting over what is / isn't correct etc.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#375474 - 04/07/18 07:19 PM

I heard about that offset thingy. I bought a new ASUS DVD-RW drive a back in December 2017. It's a new model and according to ASUS website, it supports all CD/DVD read formats. Is there a way to find out the read offset of my DVD-RW unit ?

My unit is ASUS DRW-24F1MT b
Firmware might be 1.00

I checked the offset list in
Code:

http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

but it's not listed there.

Edited by CiroConsentino (04/07/18 07:27 PM)

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#375475 - 04/07/18 08:08 PM

> I heard about that offset thingy. I bought a new ASUS DVD-RW drive a back in December
> 2017. It's a new model and according to ASUS website, it supports all CD/DVD read
> formats. Is there a way to find out the read offset of my DVD-RW unit ?
>
> My unit is ASUS DRW-24F1MT b
> Firmware might be 1.00
>
> I checked the offset list in http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htmbut it's not
> listed there.

I use the Plextor drive when I used to dump the PSX discs. I stop doing that years ago. I still have that drive in my old computer. I don't use it much now.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: Need info on how to submit software to mamedev new [Re: Dullaron]
#375477 - 04/07/18 09:15 PM

I bought an internal drive for my desktop. I hardly use it as well but I still have install DVDs like Win7 install disc and quite some games on DVDs, which haven't installed in years.

Initially I was going to move them all to external HDDs but it's too much trouble. Easier and cheaper to keep all DVDs. But I should have gotten an external DVD drive.

After some research, I found my ASUS drive use offset number 6 (dbPoweramp site). Quite common offset for most units of different models and brands.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#375484 - 04/08/18 11:22 AM

> I think they do not have copy protection in the CDs. I have "UltraISO" to create .iso
> and .cue files. Old DOS games were not copy protected.
>
> I think "Time Commando" have CD audio tracks but UltraISO can create .iso file with
> all tracks easily. If you install this game on HDD and use a cr@cked .exe, not having
> the CD inserted, the music doesn't play but game works.

As long as they are dumped as 2352 bytes per sector (not 2048 bytes) as with PSX games it should be fine. Any games with multiple tracks (usually audio after the data track, but some CDs can have multiple data tracks as well) will most likely need a Plextor drive of some sort so that the gap length is preserved.

Just about all of my PC CDs were refused over at redump.org on the counts that I didn't have a Plextor, despite all of them being single track CDs which matched over multiple drives and even verified other redump sets in multiple cases (the others were all new dumps which weren't on redump at all). The others were refused on the counts that PC software didn't qualify as video games so they weren't included either. It's their loss in the long run, most of it got eBayed after that.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Need info on how to submit software to mamedev new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#375488 - 04/08/18 12:34 PM

> > I think they do not have copy protection in the CDs. I have "UltraISO" to create
> .iso
> > and .cue files. Old DOS games were not copy protected.
> >
> > I think "Time Commando" have CD audio tracks but UltraISO can create .iso file with
> > all tracks easily. If you install this game on HDD and use a cr@cked .exe, not
> having
> > the CD inserted, the music doesn't play but game works.
>
> As long as they are dumped as 2352 bytes per sector (not 2048 bytes) as with PSX
> games it should be fine. Any games with multiple tracks (usually audio after the data
> track, but some CDs can have multiple data tracks as well) will most likely need a
> Plextor drive of some sort so that the gap length is preserved.
>
> Just about all of my PC CDs were refused over at redump.org on the counts that I
> didn't have a Plextor, despite all of them being single track CDs which matched over
> multiple drives and even verified other redump sets in multiple cases (the others
> were all new dumps which weren't on redump at all). The others were refused on the
> counts that PC software didn't qualify as video games so they weren't included
> either. It's their loss in the long run, most of it got eBayed after that.

it's not "their loss" it "everybody's loss" and a blow to preservation.

policies such as "don't include applications" are really quite damaging, and you should have just submitted your images somewhere else, such as MAME for example.

at least with MAME it's possible to say policies are correct on such things, and the project is happy to document games alongside utilities (and likewise machines that were only for play, alongside machines that had no games at all) Nothing is going to get lost / left behind as a result of a MAME policy on issues like this as long as people remember to submit them.

preserving old media etc. is a high priority task as much of it is starting to fail, not one that should come down to "was it fun to play"

jhonny_d
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Need info on how to submit software to mamedev new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375491 - 04/08/18 01:49 PM

> There's a submit email on the mamedev site. You can also upload the software to
> mega.co.nz and send me a private message here with the links and info and credits and
> I can forward that to the DU where there are several devs and people who will look
> into adding them.

Should I upload them in chd f’rmat already? Or spme other format is required?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#375496 - 04/08/18 03:27 PM

Just dump them in a "raw" format (can use HDD Raw Copy Tool from hddguru) and zip or rar that up and leave the eventual chd step to the dev who adds it to mame.

Generally

USB->PATA/SATA adapter
ThumbScrew program enabled making all USB read only
HDDRawCopy with administrator rights to rip the HD

Select the SOURCE disk.

Click on the "Continue" button

Select the TARGET

Double click on the entry called: FILE

Select a location and a filename.

Make sure "Save as type" is set to: Raw image (dd image)

Click on the "Continue" button

Verify that all parameters are as you expected.

Click on the "START" button

After saving the data, eject the disk. (*** important ***)

Enable write to USB again.

jhonny_d
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Need info on how to submit software to mamedev new [Re: Smitdogg]
#375497 - 04/08/18 03:37 PM

Thanks smitdogg, that’s all the info i needed

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#375540 - 04/09/18 09:23 PM

> it's not "their loss" it "everybody's loss" and a blow to preservation.
>
> policies such as "don't include applications" are really quite damaging, and you
> should have just submitted your images somewhere else, such as MAME for example.
>
> at least with MAME it's possible to say policies are correct on such things, and the
> project is happy to document games alongside utilities (and likewise machines that
> were only for play, alongside machines that had no games at all) Nothing is going to
> get lost / left behind as a result of a MAME policy on issues like this as long as
> people remember to submit them.
>
> preserving old media etc. is a high priority task as much of it is starting to fail,
> not one that should come down to "was it fun to play"
Most of the original single-track dumps are still here, the only single-track disc I had trouble dumping was AFL 99 which would always fail on the very last sector (protection?) on every single drives I tried. Unfortunately the AFL 99 disc is long gone, that one was sold 3 years ago (the dump still exists, although I can't trust the last sector even though the dump was a 100% match over different drives).

And yes, a lot of my Windows 3.1/95 era CDs are slowly starting to rot, especially the plain silver ones.

Recently I picked up Looney Tunes Racing on PSX so I could verify the CD matrix/ring codes and other documentation, which is often completely missing and is a major problem with the redump sets; often they simply take the disc image, the SLES-xxxxx serial number, binary hashes and the pointless stamped IFPI number (which changes with every single disc batch and sometimes isn't even stamped at all) and go to the next CD, which is like submitting a new dump for MAME where everything inside the zip is named filename.rom (warpwarp.cpp is a good example, unless of course the actual chips were completely blank with no labels or board markings whatsoever; the erroneous letter Ls inside the Navarone set have been in there since the year 2000!)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 615