MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: F355 Challenge Prototype
#377098 - 06/22/18 05:42 PM Attachment: x.jpg 44 KB (0 downloads)

coolmod dumped a prototype version of F355 Challenge

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: F355 Challenge Prototype new [Re: Smitdogg]
#377112 - 06/22/18 09:09 PM

> coolmod dumped a prototype version of F355 Challenge

sure it's not just 'revision P' or something else?

the term 'prototype' isn't actually widely used by the industry, and Sega prototypes tend not to have assigned EPR numbers etc. this strikes me as having a different meaning

(despite the MAME terminology it's usually used to refer to hardware, not software, which makes sense for early unique game PCBs, but less for ones where the hardware was already fully developed)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: DU: F355 Challenge Prototype new [Re: Haze]
#377114 - 06/22/18 09:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar carts with a P that meant proto and also Metallic says "This game have implemented most of new features of "Twin" version (1 screen PCB support, networking, VMU), but Game Test Mode is unfinished and looks more like original Deluxe-only ver, missing "Location name entry" option, have a bit of typos - VMU option called "visual memoLy"."

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#377115 - 06/22/18 09:18 PM

> I'm pretty sure I've seen similar carts with a P that meant proto and also Metallic
> says "This game have implemented most of new features of "Twin" version (1 screen PCB
> support, networking, VMU), but Game Test Mode is unfinished and looks more like
> original Deluxe-only ver, missing "Location name entry" option, have a bit of typos -
> VMU option called "visual memoLy"."

guess it could be 'preview' then, which basically means the same thing, I've just not seen Sega actually use 'prototype' outside of hardware context before.

anyway, nice to know some analysis was done on it, typos remind me of that random Seibu SPI revision of Viper Phase 1.

MetalliC
Demul/MAME dev
Reged: 03/20/09
Loc: UA
Send PM

Re: DU: F355 Challenge Prototype new [Re: Haze]
#377118 - 06/23/18 12:24 AM Attachment: DSC04941.jpg 618 KB (0 downloads)

> > coolmod dumped a prototype version of F355 Challenge
>
> sure it's not just 'revision P' or something else?
>
> the term 'prototype' isn't actually widely used by the industry, and Sega prototypes
> tend not to have assigned EPR numbers etc. this strikes me as having a different
> meaning
>
> (despite the MAME terminology it's usually used to refer to hardware, not software,
> which makes sense for early unique game PCBs, but less for ones where the hardware
> was already fully developed)

Its not the 1st time we see this game version, there was seen another at auction ~7yr ago with EPR labeled in same way but hand written. there also was ROM Test screen photo, checksum numbers match with recently dumped, so we know they are the same ver.

I think you are right, and P here more probable means Preview.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

JustNiz
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/29/15
Send PM

#377155 - 06/24/18 07:44 PM

It seems this post is implying that EPROM contains the whole game.

Naomi game cartridges have a load of PROMS soldered to the board (i.e. that hold the actual game), then just one socketed EPROM. I've seen different cartridges for the same game that have different versions of that EPROM, but the main PROMS still have the same checksums. That suggests that the EPROM is just there as a way to apply small patches to the game PROMS, but I don't know for sure. I do know its definately not the whole game though. Apart from anything else it's storage capacity is way too small.

CaH4e3
Demul coder
Reged: 08/17/08
Send PM

Re: DU: F355 Challenge Prototype new [Re: JustNiz]
#377156 - 06/24/18 08:59 PM

> It seems this post is implying that EPROM contains the whole game.
>
> Naomi game cartridges have a load of PROMS soldered to the board (i.e. that hold the
> actual game), then just one socketed EPROM. I've seen different cartridges for the
> same game that have different versions of that EPROM, but the main PROMS still have
> the same checksums. That suggests that the EPROM is just there as a way to apply
> small patches to the game PROMS, but I don't know for sure. I do know its definately
> not the whole game though. Apart from anything else it's storage capacity is way too
> small.

this post did not tell anything about what actually was dumped, the picture used as a proof this were definitely a proto version with "P" on the main EPROM label. if roms are the same as for any other regular versions, it may be checked via the rom board test...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 653