MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

yahweshabeysrael
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/09/07
Loc: CA, USA, L.A. HEY
Send PM

My teacher made this comment, what did he mean?
#120460 - 08/09/07 09:58 AM

I just finished with a C, so this is really a two part question... My teacher said that we are lucky and will probably never have to write a piece of code in our life... What did he mean by that? And by getting a B in C, does that = certified C programmer? Or do I have to get my AA, before I'm certified C, or is there some Exam I still must take?

Exodus 25:9
Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: My teacher made this comment, what did he mean? new [Re: yahweshabeysrael]
#120464 - 08/09/07 10:54 AM

> I just finished with a C, so this is really a two part question... My teacher said
> that we are lucky and will probably never have to write a piece of code in our
> life... What did he mean by that? And by getting a B in C, does that = certified C
> programmer? Or do I have to get my AA, before I'm certified C, or is there some Exam
> I still must take?

Since software engineering is unregulated (unlike civil engineering, for example), there is no such thing as a certified C programmer. You just have to convince a potential employer that you can do what they want. As to never writing a line of code, maybe he thinks you'll be a "software architect" or something like that, and just make abstract designs that you had off to teams of developers to implement...

yahweshabeysrael
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: My teacher made this comment, what did he mean? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#120545 - 08/10/07 02:12 AM

> > I just finished with a C, so this is really a two part question... My teacher said
> > that we are lucky and will probably never have to write a piece of code in our
> > life... What did he mean by that? And by getting a B in C, does that = certified C
> > programmer? Or do I have to get my AA, before I'm certified C, or is there some
> Exam
> > I still must take?
>
> Since software engineering is unregulated (unlike civil engineering, for example),
> there is no such thing as a certified C programmer. You just have to convince a
> potential employer that you can do what they want. As to never writing a line of
> code, maybe he thinks you'll be a "software architect" or something like that, and
> just make abstract designs that you had off to teams of developers to implement...

Thanks for your trouble that was excellent help, please don't mind a follow up question...

He said he had a student who saved functions or something and the advantage of this he was hired by UPS for some huge contract at about 100,000 or more, then he was contracted by mattel to keep making these tracking programs... What did he mean by this kid saving code, and reusing he was talking in this line when he was referring to never writing code...

Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#120550 - 08/10/07 02:22 AM

> > > I just finished with a C, so this is really a two part question... My teacher
> said
> > > that we are lucky and will probably never have to write a piece of code in our
> > > life... What did he mean by that? And by getting a B in C, does that = certified
> C
> > > programmer? Or do I have to get my AA, before I'm certified C, or is there some
> > Exam
> > > I still must take?
> >
> > Since software engineering is unregulated (unlike civil engineering, for example),
> > there is no such thing as a certified C programmer. You just have to convince a
> > potential employer that you can do what they want. As to never writing a line of
> > code, maybe he thinks you'll be a "software architect" or something like that, and
> > just make abstract designs that you had off to teams of developers to implement...
>
> Thanks for your trouble that was excellent help, please don't mind a follow up
> question...
>
> He said he had a student who saved functions or something and the advantage of this
> he was hired by UPS for some huge contract at about 100,000 or more, then he was
> contracted by mattel to keep making these tracking programs... What did he mean by
> this kid saving code, and reusing he was talking in this line when he was referring
> to never writing code...

It's true - re-use of code will get you a long way. There are a lot of commodity applications these days - applications that do essentially the same thing as each other. A lot of the time you can take a piece of code that almost does what you want and just slightly change it to suit your exact needs - copy and paste programming. This can also get people into trouble when they start with code that isn't really suitable to begin with.

yahweshabeysrael
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: My teacher made this comment, what did he mean? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#120563 - 08/10/07 03:02 AM

> > > > I just finished with a C, so this is really a two part question... My teacher
> > said
> > > > that we are lucky and will probably never have to write a piece of code in our
> > > > life... What did he mean by that? And by getting a B in C, does that =
> certified
> > C
> > > > programmer? Or do I have to get my AA, before I'm certified C, or is there some
> > > Exam
> > > > I still must take?
> > >
> > > Since software engineering is unregulated (unlike civil engineering, for
> example),
> > > there is no such thing as a certified C programmer. You just have to convince a
> > > potential employer that you can do what they want. As to never writing a line of
> > > code, maybe he thinks you'll be a "software architect" or something like that,
> and
> > > just make abstract designs that you had off to teams of developers to
> implement...
> >
> > Thanks for your trouble that was excellent help, please don't mind a follow up
> > question...
> >
> > He said he had a student who saved functions or something and the advantage of this
> > he was hired by UPS for some huge contract at about 100,000 or more, then he was
> > contracted by mattel to keep making these tracking programs... What did he mean by
> > this kid saving code, and reusing he was talking in this line when he was referring
> > to never writing code...
>
> It's true - re-use of code will get you a long way. There are a lot of commodity
> applications these days - applications that do essentially the same thing as each
> other. A lot of the time you can take a piece of code that almost does what you want
> and just slightly change it to suit your exact needs - copy and paste programming.
> This can also get people into trouble when they start with code that isn't really
> suitable to begin with.

Your right, thanks for clearing that up... I'm very good with syntax and very odd, I have no idea how to actually sit down and write a real world program, can you help me get over that hump so that I may finally start making a buck out of this "profession"... You've been a huge help shalom...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#120571 - 08/10/07 05:29 AM

> > It's true - re-use of code will get you a long way. There are a lot of commodity
> > applications these days - applications that do essentially the same thing as each
> > other. A lot of the time you can take a piece of code that almost does what you
> want
> > and just slightly change it to suit your exact needs - copy and paste programming.
> > This can also get people into trouble when they start with code that isn't really
> > suitable to begin with.
>
> Your right, thanks for clearing that up... I'm very good with syntax and very odd, I
> have no idea how to actually sit down and write a real world program, can you help me
> get over that hump so that I may finally start making a buck out of this
> "profession"... You've been a huge help shalom...

Start small and work your way up. Your first applications don't have to do anything useful. Just think of something you want an application to do and write it. Then work on improving it. Try to make it the best it can be, even if it doesn't do much.

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

I'm sure you've done this already but... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#122331 - 08/23/07 07:16 AM

Start off with just the basics, but then add bits of functionality to it.

A simple yet complex program could be software for an ATM (it's generally a very good practice problem and i've seen it in most programming classes i've taken).

Start off with the functions (withdrawal, deposit, account balance, etc...) and then expand it. Decide how you would deal with multiple customers. Look at integrating databases. That's what is going to get you places.

If money's not your thing, code an inventory system. The biggest issue in business programming is not so much the program itself (as you said, you know the syntax), it's how you store the data and the interoperability of that data between different programs, OS's, and networks.

Get acquainted with coding a "front end" which you probably could pull off the top of your head, but you really need to sit down and plan out a back end. Chances are you wouldn't be doing all these jobs in one position, but having a level of comfort with both is definitely a stepping stone in the right direction.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4449