MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Procyon
StrategyWiki.org operator
Reged: 02/07/04
Send PM

Help with an experimental graphics concept
#164132 - 09/06/08 03:23 AM

Right around the time when Fosters was working on Pacifi3D, I was toying with a tangential concept. But I never got it out of the conceptual stages. I wrote a program that would take an image, and render every single pixel as a translucent cube in OpenGL. Once transformed, the camera angle could be directed at any angle dynamically. That was just the proof of concept and I ended up with pictures like the ones shown below. It relies on being able to distinguish a single solid background color, so it's really only meant to work with early 80s 8-bit graphics games. Ultimately, I was hoping to attach it to the rendering process of an emulator, and MAME was an obvious choice, but my programming skills simply haven't allowed me to take it to that step. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to lend me a hand, or simply take the code and attempt to put it in MAME as one of the rendering options? Please let me know if you're interested in trying this out. I'm not even confident that my OpenGL is completely correct (some weird artifacts start to appear at odd camera angles, which you can kind of see in the Q*Bert and SMB shots.)

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

wow <nt> that's cool. wish I could help. new [Re: Procyon]
#165601 - 09/18/08 04:30 AM

> Right around the time when Fosters was working on Pacifi3D, I was toying with a
> tangential concept. But I never got it out of the conceptual stages. I wrote a
> program that would take an image, and render every single pixel as a translucent cube
> in OpenGL. Once transformed, the camera angle could be directed at any angle
> dynamically. That was just the proof of concept and I ended up with pictures like the
> ones shown below. It relies on being able to distinguish a single solid background
> color, so it's really only meant to work with early 80s 8-bit graphics games.
> Ultimately, I was hoping to attach it to the rendering process of an emulator, and
> MAME was an obvious choice, but my programming skills simply haven't allowed me to
> take it to that step. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to lend me a
> hand, or simply take the code and attempt to put it in MAME as one of the rendering
> options? Please let me know if you're interested in trying this out. I'm not even
> confident that my OpenGL is completely correct (some weird artifacts start to appear
> at odd camera angles, which you can kind of see in the Q*Bert and SMB shots.)

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Help with an experimental graphics concept new [Re: Procyon]
#176868 - 01/08/09 10:17 AM

Sure is a sweet concept - if you could fatten the objects up in the 3rd dimension, then you could play Joust as a FPS - now that would be cool / fun !!

Good luck and hope you get help with this !!

Moose

Procyon
StrategyWiki.org operator
Reged: 02/07/04
Send PM

#316399 - 10/25/13 11:30 PM

5 years later, the concept is fully realized, in the NES emulator FCEUX. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCeFpLMn3sc

nuexzz
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/28/11
Send PM

#316413 - 10/26/13 05:50 PM

is incredible! I wonder if it will do the job in a 3D game as they would see the textures

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#316419 - 10/26/13 07:29 PM

Looking forward to a public release so I can play around with it!

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4521